Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1296 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66710Likes

post #38851 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
I’m leaning that direction. It’ll get rid of me wondering what another V1500’s worth of wind would feel like and balance out the front of the room. Plus, it would leave some decent padding in my checking account for whatever’s next down the line.

I’ve been watching Skyfall for the last hour or two and do not remember it having this much bass. When the subway car crashed through I happened to look over at the V1500 I have next to the right tower and I’ve never seen that much excursion. Maybe it was just the afternoon sun highlighting the 15” driver but that thing was moving. The V3601 has been rocking the couch the whole time without breaking a sweat. This movie is moving up on my favorite list of bass movies for sure. Great gunshots and helicopter noises - the explosion about 19 minutes in legitimately caught me off guard.
This graph might explain a little bit as Skyfall was graphed over at the data-bass forums...

Last edited by SuperFist; 01-03-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38852 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
I’ve been watching Skyfall for the last hour or two and do not remember it having this much bass. When the subway car crashed through I happened to look over at the V1500 I have next to the right tower and I’ve never seen that much excursion. Maybe it was just the afternoon sun highlighting the 15” driver but that thing was moving. The V3601 has been rocking the couch the whole time without breaking a sweat. This movie is moving up on my favorite list of bass movies for sure. Great gunshots and helicopter noises - the explosion about 19 minutes in legitimately caught me off guard.[/QUOTE]

Gob Bluth, That scene actually made one of the demo discs for ultimate bass. It is a great scene, as well as the helo guns. Having multiple subs are fun. I have had a V3600 and 2 15XVSE(I) fro a while, and love what they do for the room.
Gob Bluth likes this.
post #38853 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
I would assume you want to choose Bitstream passthrough in the Xbox 1 audio settings;

Just as Microsoft promised last fall, the Xbox One finally has support for next-generation audio formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X -- provided you have a recent home theater receiver that supports them. You just have to flip on the "bitstream passthrough" feature in the console's Blu-ray settings to get things going, which lets your receiver do all the audio decoding work.
Yes , previously I was only able to get stereo uncompressed to make any sound on the XB1. When I would switch to Bitstream out , it would go silent. Found a setting in my Onkyo called "PCM Fixed" and that was turned on , once I turned it off everything came alive! It sounds wayyyy better now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38854 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Alright guys...bear with me for a minute here. I've been tossing around a few ideas in my head as far as my subs go. As most of you know I have dual v1500's and dual 15v's in my relatively small living room setup.
Now don't get me wrong, I love these subs and they provide more than enough condo shaking bass than I need.
The idea I am toying with is making my sub footprint a tad smaller and possibly moving to two sealed subs instead. S3000i or s3601.
This way I lessen my footprint as far as having four huge subs in my living room and still have either quad 15's or 18's.
Has anyone gone such a route?
I love the visceral and violent sound the ported subs give, I guess just wondering if it would be a lateral move, upgrade or downgrade.(doubt that last one lol)
Thanks guys for any input
Going from 2 V1801s to 2 S3601s was hardly a lateral move! Even with almost doubling the size of my room , they fill it way too easy. I think im easily 6000+ cu. ft and I dont feel like I am lacking anything , especially after finding out my sound settings for XB1...They just have a completely different sound that IMO is much more room filling and clean. I will listen to some songs that I use to hear loud powerful bass off of , and while the bass is still powerful its not as "Loud" , it is a lot quieter per se'. It just sounds alot deeper and tight. I notice ALOT more pressure in my room and it is a good sized area , almost like my ear drums want to pop. I could only imagine that effect in a smaller room! If you are thinking about it , its not going to leave your mind until you do it!
post #38855 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnow17 View Post
Going from 2 V1801s to 2 S3601s was hardly a lateral move! Even with almost doubling the size of my room , they fill it way too easy. I think im easily 6000+ cu. ft and I dont feel like I am lacking anything , especially after finding out my sound settings for XB1...They just have a completely different sound that IMO is much more room filling and clean. I will listen to some songs that I use to hear loud powerful bass off of , and while the bass is still powerful its not as "Loud" , it is a lot quieter per se'. It just sounds alot deeper and tight. I notice ALOT more pressure in my room and it is a good sized area , almost like my ear drums want to pop. I could only imagine that effect in a smaller room! If you are thinking about it , its not going to leave your mind until you do it!
I've heard nothing but really good things about these sealed subs as well, but a few have mentioned that the ported still has a more "visceral" and more TR, especially at the lower frequencies. I guess I'm still confused on the issue. I have the 15V and sitting 15 feet away from the sub I can feel some great bass in my 2,100 cubic foot room. Not sure how a S3601 would compare in performance.
Jsnow17 likes this.
post #38856 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
I've heard nothing but really good things about these sealed subs as well, but a few have mentioned that the ported still has a more "visceral" and more TR, especially at the lower frequencies. I guess I'm still confused on the issue. I have the 15V and sitting 15 feet away from the sub I can feel some great bass in my 2,100 cubic foot room. Not sure how a S3601 would compare in performance.
It would probably crush that room ... But its hard to say , I dont have any complaints about TR or visceral feelings , it kind of just boils down to personal taste and how your room interacts with the subs. You almost have to experience both types of subs in house to get an idea of what you like , and even then you may have to weigh the pros and cons. Sub A plays this movie good while Sub B kills this song. I am almost tempted to pop open the V1801s again just to give them a listen again after discovering my new audio settings. But I am content with the S36's and really dont want to get in the subwoofer question mark rabbit hole lol...
mthomas47 and Hopinater like this.
post #38857 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3586 Post(s)
Liked: 11416
Quote:
Alright guys...bear with me for a minute here. I've been tossing around a few ideas in my head as far as my subs go. As most of you know I have dual v1500's and dual 15v's in my relatively small living room setup.
Now don't get me wrong, I love these subs and they provide more than enough condo shaking bass than I need.
The idea I am toying with is making my sub footprint a tad smaller and possibly moving to two sealed subs instead. S3000i or s3601.
This way I lessen my footprint as far as having four huge subs in my living room and still have either quad 15's or 18's.
Has anyone gone such a route?
I love the visceral and violent sound the ported subs give, I guess just wondering if it would be a lateral move, upgrade or downgrade.(doubt that last one lol)
Thanks guys for any input
What you're considering makes sense but I agree with Mike if you're going to do it I would go with dual S3601's. Mike's post is really great because it gets you looking at the numbers and thinking things through. I'm thinking that you will make some good output gains in the mid bass if you go with the S3600's and probably roughly maintain the lower bass output. But if you go with dual S3000's I think you will notice a decrease in the lower bass. Of course none of this will matter if you are just playing your subs at moderate levels. In the end it's hard to say for sure because I don't know what kind of gain you're getting with each additional sub.

That's the numbers... but IMO there are some things about the 18" drivers that go beyond the numbers. They're brutal, they seem shake you to your bones. The 15's are great and give incredible bass but the impact of the 18's is something else all together. And from what I can tell that holds true at moderate levels as well as high levels. They just present themselves differently IMO.

I do think you will be giving up some tactile aggression if you switch from ported to sealed but I've been so impressed by my S1801 I'm not so sure you need to worry about it. Unless you're on a slab, then I believe it may matter. But if you're on a suspended floor I'm not sure you will notice it all that much.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for what they're worth (which isn't much).

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

Last edited by Hopinater; 01-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #38858 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
What you're considering makes sense but I agree with Mike if you're going to do it I would go with dual S3601's. Mike's post is really great because it gets you looking at the numbers and thinking things through. I'm thinking that you will make some good output gains in the mid bass if you go with the S3600's and probably roughly maintain the lower bass output. But if you go with dual S3000's I think you will notice a decrease in the lower bass. Of course none of this will matter if you are just playing your subs at moderate levels. In the end it's hard to say for sure because I don't know what kind of gain you're getting with each additional sub.

That's the numbers... but IMO there are somethings about the 18" drivers that go beyond the numbers. They're brutal, they seem shake you to your bones. The 15's are great and give incredible bass but the impact of the 18's is something else all together. And from what I can tell that holds true at moderate levels as well as high levels. They just present themselves differently IMO.

I do think you will be giving up some tactile aggression if you switch from ported to sealed but I've been so impressed by my S1801 I'm not so sure you need to worry about it. Unless you're on a slab, then I believe it may matter. But if you're on a suspended floor I'm not sure you will notice it all that much.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for what they're worth (which isn't much).
You mentioned the concrete slab. Does that hurt bass? I have a concrete slab in the basement with thick carpet padding and carpet. Does ported work better with this type of setup?
post #38859 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnow17 View Post
It would probably crush that room ... But its hard to say , I dont have any complaints about TR or visceral feelings , it kind of just boils down to personal taste and how your room interacts with the subs. You almost have to experience both types of subs in house to get an idea of what you like , and even then you may have to weigh the pros and cons. Sub A plays this movie good while Sub B kills this song. I am almost tempted to pop open the V1801s again just to give them a listen again after discovering my new audio settings. But I am content with the S36's and really dont want to get in the subwoofer question mark rabbit hole lol...
I agree with all you just said. But I'm torn about whether you should try the V1801's again. Part of me thinks you should because it would be interesting to compare and it would remove that nagging question you now have regarding them. But the other part of me thinks it would be foolish to open that can of worms again (plus it's a lot of work if you do it right). In the end I don't think you would change your mind anyway because you liked the S3601's better under the same audio settings as you had for the V1801's so I doubt the new settings would change that fact.

To be honest I think under most situations I would want dual S3601's over dual V1801's anyway. Both are great subs but the S3601 is a notch above IMO (and priced as such). Now if you were comparing dual V3601's to dual S3601's that would be a different story and would really be room dependent and it would also be driven by usage and listening preferences. I can see scenarios where I would choose one over the other and vice versa.
Mike Butny, brahman12 and Jsnow17 like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Last edited by Hopinater; 01-03-2018 at 03:13 PM.
post #38860 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mentioned the concrete slab. Does that hurt bass? I have a concrete slab in the basement with thick carpet padding and carpet. Does ported work better with this type of setup?
Yeah I have a slab in my basement and I think it matters. The slab doesn't hurt the bass but it does seem to affect the tactile response of the bass, in other words we hear it but we don't feel it very well. Slabs don't allow much transference of energy where as a suspended floor will. A ported sub gives off energy from it's driver and it's port and most guys seem to agree that ported subs therefore have more of an openness or expansiveness to them resulting in more of an aggressive tactile presentation. Where as a sealed sub only has it's driver and with no port there's no port energy so many feel they have a tighter and a more closed presentation which seems to result in less of a tactile response. On a slab you need every bit of help you can get to FEEL the bass and the ported subs seem to do that better. Others may argue that.

On the other hand, I've read (and I don't know if it's true or not) that a room with a concrete slab with concrete walls will actually reinforce the bass you hear, so in that way the basement HT may actually create louder bass than say a HT located on suspended floor. I don't know though.

Last edited by Hopinater; 01-03-2018 at 03:24 PM.
post #38861 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 5040
Thank you guys for all chiming in with your help and suggestions.
I spoke with Tom via email today and as always he was very helpful.
With the trade in on the four subs I'd only have to shell out a few hundred towards dual s3601's.
The idea of having two powerful sealed subs with those awesome 18's, plus a smaller overall footprint in my living room sounds like a no brainer to me.
I do push my system loud on occasion, and have zero complaints about the v1500's and 15v's, and I'm sure two of these will destroy my living room.
I'm going to think it over and make my decision soon.
Again, thanks PSA fam!
post #38862 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
I also vote no brainer for two s3601s for a few hundred bucks on top of trade ins.
Mike Butny, SuperFist and Jsnow17 like this.
post #38863 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Yeah I have a slab in my basement and I think it matters. The slab doesn't hurt the bass but it does seem to affect the tactile response of the bass, in other words we hear it but we don't feel it very well. Slabs don't allow much transference of energy where as a suspended floor will. A ported sub gives off energy from it's driver and it's port and most guys seem to agree that ported subs therefore have more of an openness or expansiveness to them resulting in more of an aggressive tactile presentation. Where as a sealed sub only has it's driver and with no port there's no port energy so many feel they have a tighter and a more closed presentation which seems to result in less of a tactile response. On a slab you need every bit of help you can get to FEEL the bass and the ported subs seem to do that better. Others may argue that.

On the other hand, I've read (and I don't know if it's true or not) that a room with a concrete slab with concrete walls will actually reinforce the bass you hear, so in that way the basement HT may actually create louder bass than say a HT located on suspended floor. I don't know though.
I forget who mentioned it but they suggested a theory that a suspended floor has it's own inertia, potentially muddying the purity of the bass, versus say a solid slab basement with solid walls where the floor and walls are immovable. I would suggest sealed subs in very near field for a concrete slab providing you can put the necessary funds into it, otherwise go ported.
post #38864 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 5648 Post(s)
Liked: 5224
Quote:
With the trade in on the four subs I'd only have to shell out a few hundred towards dual s3601's.
The idea of having two powerful sealed subs with those awesome 18's, plus a smaller overall footprint in my living room sounds like a no brainer to me.
I do push my system loud on occasion, and have zero complaints about the v1500's and 15v's, and I'm sure two of these will destroy my living room.
Again, thanks PSA fam!
My two cents. DO IT!

You already know that the dual/catacorner placement yields great response with your room. So you give up nothing as far as going from 4 subs to two. believe that the increased excursion of the 18" drivers will positively affect TR. Whatever you give up in TR you are going to gain in extension and detail. That means you may have to revisit your entire library.
post #38865 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 2555
Quote:

Very true. Bass will sound cleaner on a concrete floor compared to a suspended floor. The thickness of drywall walls will make a difference too. If anyone is in the planning process of building a theater room choose 5/8inch drywall or even double sheets.
Jsnow17 likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 01-03-2018 at 06:41 PM.
post #38866 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I agree with all you just said. But I'm torn about whether you should try the V1801's again. Part of me thinks you should because it would be interesting to compare and it would remove that nagging question you now have regarding them. But the other part of me thinks it would be foolish to open that can of worms again (plus it's a lot of work if you do it right). In the end I don't think you would change your mind anyway because you liked the S3601's better under the same audio settings as you had for the V1801's so I doubt the new settings would change that fact.

To be honest I think under most situations I would want dual S3601's over dual V1801's anyway. Both are great subs but the S3601 is a notch above IMO (and priced as such). Now if you were comparing dual V3601's to dual S3601's that would be a different story and would really be room dependent and it would also be driven by usage and listening preferences. I can see scenarios where I would choose one over the other and vice versa.
uGGHHH , I know , it took me forever to just box them up and to repeat that again I may just as well keep em lol....I dont think its a nagging that "Hey do I want to keep the V18's?" , I think it would just be to get a WHOLE NOTHER listen to them. Like I said , I feel like ive been lying the whole time since hearing the difference in audio! Im sure the difference in settings is relative between the subs , but just to hear the V18's in their true glory. Although being a basshead , there are dangers to that. It would almost be like "NEW BASS" and that New Bass feeling makes the wallet sweat!!

Quote:
I am running the S36s on concrete with wood flooring and there are some differences with the TR. From what I can remember , I would say the 2 S36's are on par with the 2 V18's for TR for the most part. I think the V18's excite the room more easily , the couch will be buzzing during an episode of House Hunters on HGTV. Some of that may be lacking with the S36's , but I have noticed a different type of TR with them. Where the V18's will have the room buzzing , on some scenes the S36's will almost cause a wobble in the room which was a bit disorientating at first. Almost like I caught a bit of Vertigo , maybe I did or maybe I was drunker than I thought. Although this may happen with more V18's or the V36's , im not sure but its pretty cool when it does happen!
post #38867 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3843
Quote:
Again, thanks PSA fam!

I tried out the submersive HPs in my room and really like them. Got extension down to 5hz that I measured. However I just happened to test the V1801s due to a breaker issue I was having with the submersives and quickly remembered why I liked ported. The bass just was sharper and pointed and more violent. Now I have heard that the PSA sealed subs have more impact and TR than most so their 18s may be something else compared to the submersives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jsnow17 likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #38868 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzak View Post
Been lurking here for years and with a recent upgrade I felt it necessary to show my support for PSA. After moving to a new house and due to a much larger room I felt the need to upgrade my whole system. I started looking through the forums and noticed that PSA speakers and sub woofers were recommended a lot. A friend of mine had just purchased a pair of MT-110 speakers and after having a listen I was sold. Realizing PSA was fairly local I gave them a call and placed an order which I drove out to their shop to pick up. Tom gave a tour of their facility and introduced my to Jim and their shop manager. It was all I could do to fit the 3 MTM-210s and the 2 15vs I bought into the back of my SUV. I got everything home and set it all up and was blown away at how much better the speakers sounded that the Klipsch reference series 1 I previously had.

I spent the next week dialing in everything the way I wanted but there was something haunting me in the back of my mind. While I was at the shop I was able to see everything in production and caught a glimpse of the V3601 and though to myself, man I bet those put out some serious bass (not that the 15vs were lacking, but you know how it goes lol). I don't have to deal with the wife acceptance factor or children so I figured what the hell, go big or go home. After giving Tom another call I was on my way back out to PSA again to make the exchange and pick up the rest of my system. Cramming 2 V3601s, 2 MT-110s, and 2 MT-110srs into my poor SUV was a feat but they managed to get it all in there and off I went. Luckily I am good friends with both of my neighbors because things got out of hand quick the first time I hosted a movie night.
Congratulations on the new setup I bet it sounds incredible. So did you initially have the MTM-210s then returned them for the MT-110's? Can you compare the sound difference between the two? Also can you talk about the difference between the two 15v's vs v3601's?
fastninja76 likes this.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #38869 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
Congratulations on the new setup I bet it sounds incredible. So did you initially have the MTM-210s then returned them for the MT-110's? Can you compare the sound difference between the two? Also can you talk about the difference between the two 15v's vs v3601's?
Excellent question! I too am curious. Do tell!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
kyzer soze likes this.

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V3601
post #38870 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 5648 Post(s)
Liked: 5224
[QUOTE=Jsnow17;554274Some of that may be lacking with the S36's , but I have noticed a different type of TR with them. Where the V18's will have the room buzzing , on some scenes the S36's will almost cause a wobble in the room which was a bit disorientating at first. Almost like I caught a bit of Vertigo , maybe I did or maybe I was drunker than I thought. [/QUOTE] It was not your imagination nor intoxication. That is the multiple sealed sub ULF wobble! This usually indicates you have the headroom and extension to reproduce the F-Irene scene in Black Hawk Down. Meanwhile, those with less sealed woofage or ported subs wonder what the fuss is about.
post #38871 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 2555
Something I always wondered. If you have 2 subs and run them 8dbs hot each is that still 8dbs hot or 16db hot? So in my case, I have 3 subs, 2 PSA subs on sub 1 output on a Y-splitter and my UM18-22 sub on sub 2 output and I have them 8db hot so would the PSA's be splitting the 8db each since they are tied to a Y-Splitter or are they each running 8 db hot? If each sub gets an extra 8db then really I'm at 24db hot with 3 subs . This is something I have been thinking about lately.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 01-03-2018 at 11:33 PM.
post #38872 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
It was not your imagination nor intoxication. That is the multiple sealed sub ULF wobble! This usually indicates you have the headroom and extension to reproduce the F-Irene scene in Black Hawk Down. Meanwhile, those with less sealed woofage or ported subs wonder what the fuss is about.
I haven't had any sealed subs in my theater, but I remember when I was big into car audio back in the day I preferred the sound of my sealed JL-Audio 10w6's running 2 ohm mono off a Soundstream Reference 700 compared to my previous Cerwin Vega 12's running off a PPi A-600 in a big ported box I built.
Both were loud as balls but the sealed was a lot smoother.
Ahh...those were the days lol
brahman12, SuperFist and Jsnow17 like this.
post #38873 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 9699
Quote:
Again, thanks PSA fam!
Go for it...that way I can follow you down the rabbit hole! honestly you are not utilizing the benefits of 4 subs the way you have them placed anyhow. I think it makes more sense to step up to more powerful dual subs.

Quote:
I haven't had any sealed subs in my theater, but I remember when I was big into car audio back in the day I preferred the sound of my sealed JL-Audio 10w6's running 2 ohm mono off a Soundstream Reference 700 compared to my previous Cerwin Vega 12's running off a PPi A-600 in a big ported box I built.
Ported subs in a car is pointless...and is normally only done for SPL wars not accuracy. small cabin vehicles net so much cabin gain there is no point to deviate from sealed. Car audio is completely apples to oranges compared to home audio and should not be compared.
ahblaza and subacabra like this.
post #38874 of 53011 Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Again, thanks PSA fam!
Dual s3601 - you'll like it.
subacabra likes this.

Marantz 6012, Krell KAV-500,
Old school Def Tech BP-2000s,CLR 2000, BPX surrounds, RSL C34E x 4
PSA S3000i & PSA S1801, Anti-Mode 8033S-II, AC Infinity AIRCOM S10
PS Audio PP-300,Sony BDP-S550,
Sony VPL-VWPRO-1, 92" Draper Onyx......
post #38875 of 53011 Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Go for it...that way I can follow you down the rabbit hole! honestly you are not utilizing the benefits of 4 subs the way you have them placed anyhow. I think it makes more sense to step up to more powerful dual subs.

Ported subs in a car is pointless...and is normally only done for SPL wars not accuracy. small cabin vehicles net so much cabin gain there is no point to deviate from sealed. Car audio is completely apples to oranges compared to home audio and should not be compared.
I'm really really considering it! Just for more fun, last night I spread out my v1500's. I kept one front left corner(and finally got to use my other Pangea stand!) and put the other one as an end table next to my small couch. This puts it somewhat nearfield firing at my other couch and mlp. I angled the one in front to also face me and also at the same angle my left mt-110 is toed in.
I kept the two 15v's in their rear right corner placement.
Using test tones I individually set delays on the now somewhat nearfield v1500 and the 15v's.
I left the delay/distance alone on far left front corner v1500.
I must say it sounds very good. The big null I had in the middle of the room is almost gone. War of the Worlds pod scene was very intense, clear and impactful at only -20. As was Earth to Echo spaceship assembling scene.

I know, without actually measuring with REW I can't truly know what's happening, but before I venture down this new route it can't hurt to play around.

There are only so many placement options in my room, and through much trial and error, and many many movements of subs I do feel that should I get the dual s3601's one will be front left corner and the other rear right.
We shall see, here's a couple pics of how I have everything now.
Thanks again to all that chimed in!

Last edited by subacabra; 01-04-2018 at 08:14 AM.
post #38876 of 53011 Old 01-04-2018, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
I originally picked up the MTM-210s for the front sound stage and then added on the MTM-110s for surrounds and the MTM-110sr for front heights (5.2.2 system as of now, planning on adding 2 more height channels in the near future). I cant really compare the sound of the 110 vs the 210 as I have only ran the 110s as surrounds (they are working great in that capacity).

My previous house had a smaller room (10 x 12 x 8 foot walls) and the SVS PB2000 I had seemed like plenty to fill that area. Upon moving into my new house and having more space to work with (22 x 16 x 10 foot walls with vaulted ceiling) the PB2000 was lacking. The 15Vs were a revelation in sound to me and the ability to not only hear the sounds but also feel them blew me away. Had I not went to the PSA shop and seen the V3601s I probably would have been happy with the 15Vs forever but after playing with them for a week I had a nasty case of the "what ifs". After seeing such a dramatic change with the 15Vs I had to go all out. Both subs are capable of tons of bass but the tactile response from the V3601s with my suspended floor is insane. We watched the IT remake the other night and my buddies wife had to leave the room in terror after a particular scene that shook the whole floor and all of the seats. To me the V3601s just added more to what I already had with the 15Vs. The sound is fuller and the way my room reacts really adds to the movie watching experience.
serith, brahman12, Haiej and 3 others like this.
post #38877 of 53011 Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are only so many placement options in my room, and through much trial and error, and many many movements of subs I do feel that should I get the dual s3601's one will be front left corner and the other rear right.

We shall see
I admire your attempts at experimenting but I think it's all over for you... I'm willing to bet you're already a proud owner of dual S3601's, you just don't know it yet.

Having walked this same path many times I know it well. The path goes like this:

1. One day out of the blue a thought about a sub upgrade pops into the back of your head.
2. That thought slowly (or quickly) works it's way to the front.
3. Over time the thought becomes an obsession dominating your thoughts day and night.

At this point there is still some hope that you can turn back but it takes a lot of effort or an angry wife.

4. Now you start rationalizing why you SHOULD do the upgrade (any reason will do).
5. Post your thought on the PSA subwoofer thread to get opinions.

At this point only the strongest of us can turn back.

6. Call Tom at PSA.
7. Pretend to still be "Thinking about it" for a little while longer (this makes us feel better).
8. Place the order.
9. Receive the new subwoofer and smile because you know you did the right thing.

There is only one man I know who hit Step 9 and turned back and that's basshead. Me? I'm usually done by Step 2.
Alan P, Mike Butny, pspoar and 8 others like this.

post #38878 of 53011 Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I admire your attempts at experimenting but I think it's all over for you... I'm willing to bet you're already a proud owner of dual S3601's, you just don't know it yet.

Having walked this same path many times I know it well. The path goes like this:

1. One day out of the blue a thought about a sub upgrade pops into the back of your head.
2. That thought slowly (or quickly) works it's way to the front.
3. Over time the thought becomes an obsession dominating your thoughts day and night.

At this point there is still some hope that you can turn back but it takes a lot of effort or an angry wife.

4. Now you start rationalizing why you SHOULD do the upgrade (any reason will do).
5. Post your thought on the PSA subwoofer thread to get opinions.

At this point only the strongest of us can turn back.

6. Call Tom at PSA.
7. Pretend to still be "Thinking about it" for a little while longer (this makes us feel better).
8. Place the order.
9. Receive the new subwoofer and smile because you know you did the right thing.

There is only one man I know who hit Step 9 and turned back and that's basshead. Me? I'm usually done by Step 2.
Hey you!! Out of my head!!!!
Mike Butny, sk373 and Hopinater like this.
post #38879 of 53011 Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
It was not your imagination nor intoxication. That is the multiple sealed sub ULF wobble! This usually indicates you have the headroom and extension to reproduce the F-Irene scene in Black Hawk Down. Meanwhile, those with less sealed woofage or ported subs wonder what the fuss is about.
As much as Ive watched that movie , and I even fell asleep to it in the room last night , I still havent watched it with the big boys yet! lol...Gonna have to buy the disc now!
post #38880 of 53011 Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Dude, I have dual sealed JL Audio 10W3v2 subs on a JL Audio 500/1 that just went out after well over 10 years of thumpin' in the back of my Lexus!

I just hope the newer JL Audio JX500/1D that I'm picking up today will thump just as low and as long as my other one did!
brahman12, sk373 and subacabra like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page