Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1410 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65487Likes

post #42271 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3049 Post(s)
Liked: 10446
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
What is this nonsense? You are supposed to be spending every second getting this "new" product completed and released! Get back to work!

Seriously though, any idea when you will have some info about it that you can provide us with? Thanks Tom.
there nothing to update. nothing new. I'm rowing the boat as fast I can, 364.5 days a year in the office...

The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat22.png
Views:	59
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	2401950  
SuperFist, Tom Ames and Pradeep2 like this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 05-12-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42272 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
there nothing to update. nothing new. I'm rowing the boat as fast I can, 364.5 days a year in the office...

The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

That’s deep...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #42273 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Recent S3601 build.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s3601_1.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2401952   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3601_2.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	2401954   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3601_4.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2401956   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3601_7.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	2401958   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3601_8.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2401960  

sk373, subacabra, Pradeep2 and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42274 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2929 Post(s)
Liked: 3740
[quote

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio[/quote]

Lol. My all time favorite show! By the way what do you that 0.5 day in the year?

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #42275 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 5531 Post(s)
Liked: 5089
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
That is what happens when you mix and match data sets. Unless all the subs were tested by the same gear in the same conditions, it's not apples to apples. Just a difference in temperature outdoors can change the numbers 2db. If I had to guess the S3601 is at least as strong as the S1 down low, but more like the S2 up top.
+1
When I thought about the S1 and S3601, I came up with the same guesstimation as you.
post #42276 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 961
I recently watched the new 4k Saving Private Ryan, and it was amazing! I did, however, have an issue with my dual V3601’s I’m trying to figure out. In the beginning Omaha Beach sequence and the battle at the end, my subs would occasionally emit some strange sounds, hard to describe, sort of like violent pumping sounds, or the driver’s flopping quickly back and forth. I’m fairly certain it wasn’t port noise, and i couldn’t identity anything in the room that might be responsible. I sent Tom an email, waiting for his thoughts on this. I’m running at about 9:00 on the gain switches, my Yamaha 3060’s sub level is at its lowest and my MV was -15. It appears to be a specific frequency causing this, but i haven’t yet identified it. It also appears that both subs are doing this. Any thoughts?

post #42277 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I recently watched the new 4k Saving Private Ryan, and it was amazing! I did, however, have an issue with my dual V3601’s I’m trying to figure out. In the beginning Omaha Beach sequence and the battle at the end, my subs would occasionally emit some strange sounds, hard to describe, sort of like violent pumping sounds, or the driver’s flopping quickly back and forth. I’m fairly certain it wasn’t port noise, and i couldn’t identity anything in the room that might be responsible. I sent Tom an email, waiting for his thoughts on this. I’m running at about 9:00 on the gain switches, my Yamaha 3060’s sub level is at its lowest and my MV was -15. It appears to be a specific frequency causing this, but i haven’t yet identified it. It also appears that both subs are doing this. Any thoughts?

Since this movie doesn’t have enough ULF to strain the drivers much, my guess would be signal clipping.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #42278 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Since this movie doesn’t have enough ULF to strain the drivers much, my guess would be signal clipping.

Thanks for your response. Tom also mentioned clipping, but how is this happening? I have the sub channel levels in the Yamaha 3060 to -10.5 (the lowest they can go), the MV volume is at -15 and the sub’s gains are at 9:00. How is this clipping occurring do you think?

post #42279 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked: 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Wow that must be some driver in that S1, the PSA has 2 drivers and a bigger enclosure and is somehow still behind the S1.
The output comparision between S1801 and S3601

22" D x 20" W x 20.5" H includes grille

20" D x 28" W x 24" H includes grilles

The dual opposed S3601's cabinet is only 50% larger than S1801. This is the reason the S3601 is not a full 6dB across from the S1801.

S3601 is also using the 1400W SpeakerPower Amp module vs the S1's 2400W SpeaperPower Amp module.

There is also the difference in design philosophy. PSA's efficient 18" driver will get you a lot of output above 40Hz, where as JTR's powerful 18" driver will get you the same below 32Hz.

At the end of the day, the ID subwoofer market is very cut throat. Spending more $$$ on the same type of products usually yields more output and/or extension.
climber07 likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 05-12-2018 at 05:53 PM.
post #42280 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 2597
Quote:
Thanks for your response. Tom also mentioned clipping, but how is this happening? I have the sub channel levels in the Yamaha 3060 to -10.5 (the lowest they can go), the MV volume is at -15 and the sub’s gains are at 9:00. How is this clipping occurring do you think?

You mention that the Yamaha AVR subwoofer level trim was set to -10.5 after room calibration. This could mean that you have maxed out the subwoofers ability to compensate for too much sub amp gain. Whenever you max out the calibration settings, you cannot be sure that you aren't too high on the amplifier gain setting.

I would recommend that you run your calibration until you get -9.5 or -10.0 max. At that point, you will have eliminated one of the possible causes. Good luck.
Marc Alexander and ahblaza like this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #42281 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Well, I'm curious the output numbers for the V1500 psa sub vs svs pb13. Since I just got that sub recently to compliment my dual svs pb13s, I find them very similar in output when measuring using rew but would like to see chucky come up with numbers for the pb13s in 20hz port mode and psa v1500 for comparison. The psa v1500 mates perfectly with my dual pb13s and using it very nearfield for TR. Very happy with it and 3 subs work very well in my room.
The PSA V1500 and the SVS PB13-Ultra are indeed quite similar:

ereed and jamiebosco like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

post #42282 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 5531 Post(s)
Liked: 5089
Quote:
Along with the 2m rms versus 1m peak conversion it's also important to look at other details as well. In this specific case you have dual drivers on opposing baffles. Cea-2010 has no method to compensate for the losses involved when measuring this specific design outside. Josh(data-bass) has a very good article on this and how to properly scale a design like this accurately. I have pointed this out in the past repeatedly when these "charts" are posted but this fact is always ignored.

https://data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=77

And conversely you have the mono15 measaurements from the SAME guy (brent butterworth) that are under the manufacturer's data across the ENTIRE operating bandwithd and those are also ignored in these charts.

I lost track of how many times I tried to explain why the pc13u measurements compare the way they do(makes TOTAL sense if you actually read the measurement method), how many times I tried to explain that it's not fair to use two widely different port "tunes" when comparing variable tune subs, how many times I had to explain why the XV15 data needed to be scaled because the driver wasn't facing the mic(databass even did an article on it!!!), or even trying to explain the very BASICS of this all( 1m, 2m, 3m, rms, peak. I had to point out how these charts where 3dB(!) off in the past because these basics weren't followed correctly. OR even had LIMITED cea-2010 really is in predicting how loudly the subwoofer will play with actual source material...sigh. I mean, just ONE example, people are being misled to believe the mono10 is going to sound more powerful than the hsu vtf-2 with real world use just because at ONE frequency measured outside(25hz)...the mono10 scored 2dB more. I point out the hsu is almost DOUBLE from 40hz and up. Meh, none of that matters...I mean look at the thx badge! And the mon10 uses HDF!!! Then it turns into why is tom even explaining this in this thread what sinister motive is there afoot?

avs is turning into avBs and when anyone tries to point out ANY of these considerations and potential influences in something as limited as "cea-2010" you get shouted down by the same mob-of-3.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, I'm pretty sure just about everyone on this forum appreciates your helpful expertise and insight. I know I do. (When I presented my own measurements of the S3000i and the Submersive HP, I made sure to mention and adjust for the opposing baffles.)

I'd hate for you to stop or slow-down your contributing simply due to conspiracy theories about of the state of AVS (or aBS as you say) Forum. (I'm not sure who this mob-of-3 is?) I have never seen anyone attack you for simply correcting errors. Anyone who ignores fact and experience is a fool.

However, I did find it appropriate for users to call you out in the Monoprice thread. Fair or unfair, you (Tom V as in sVs) are going to be held to a high standard. As will other manufacturers, especially when posting regarding a competitor. Whether or not your intentions were truly noble, there are times that one must abstain from the appearance of evil (words I am learning to live by myself). One can be right and trolling at the same time.

A forum is what it is because of the contributions of the many, not the few. Users educating themselves is a great thing, not the downfall of AVS.

While, I have purposely avoided reading Brent's Monolith review as I was doing my own evaluation, I have now looked at his posted numbers. I don't think anyone is actively ignoring his numbers (what sense would that make?). My measurements don't match theirs exactly either. @basshead81 was spot-on regarding mixing data-sets. If anything needs to be corrected regarding the Monolith subs, you can PM me or @basshead81 and one of us can set things straight.
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to post this Mike. I think everyone is beginning to realize that much of the "fart box" debacle may have had some agenda behind it
I don't blame you one bit for being unhappy about the "fart box" debacle. If someone calls my kid a name I'm going to be upset. I didn't make that comment nor did I post it (I believe it may have been @chucky7 who posted it, he did not make the comment originally). There is no need to rehash because it is all documented in its entirety (and I stand by my report and analysis). Some have taken parts of the events and used out of context. I have always debunked these reports whenever I am aware. There is no need to try and discredit or minimize me to debunk trolling. The truth is all that is needed. There were many attendants of the GTG including @Jsnow17 . There was no foul play or "agenda".

Quote:
There are clear reasons why that is so. We have to be careful not to misunderstand what cea-2010 represents and how limited it is in scope. Spending a few minutes copy/pasting the work of others into a chart is easy---especially if you don't worry about properly representing the data. To understand how limited that data is and how much more information you need to accurately correlate how a subwoofer will "sound" to someone in any given environment...that's a little different. I have spent 20+ years now on this and it still fascinates me. I hope to spend 20 more years on it. But even if I can I know I'll never have all the answers. I've tried to share more thoughts on it all in the past and it seems the way I present it...just draws a lot of trolling into the thread so I try to avoid it now. I cannot compete with someone with a u-mik and a whole weekend of measurement experience

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I agree regarding CEA/CTA's limitations.

I want to make something clear. I am not @chucky7 and he is not me. We are individuals who share a love for bass. He has been of help to me and I consider him a friend. Just because we are friends doesn't mean I have anything to do with what he posts or vice versa. In fact, we disagree here on AVS a lot. I don't think it is a secret that he is a JTR fan/cheerleader. His charts have been used primarily to compare JTR vs sub X in the past. However, I do believe he is developing a more balanced viewpoint. I have always seen him adjust his charts accordingly when someone has corrected him. edit: maybe not.

So, I am not sure who this someone trolling with a "u-mik and a whole weekend of measurement experience " is? It isn't me, because I have much more than a UMIK and a w/e of experience. Using the UMIK and EMM-6 microphones with REW for measurements were great experiences for me. In fact, many of my measurements with the EMM-6 validated PSA's posted numbers (fluke?).

I have spent about the last 6 months measuring and remeasuring many various subwoofers [both indoors and out] as I learned the Audiomatica Clio 12 suite. I have spent time alongside some real Acoustic Engineers (by trade and education). I'm still learning and gaining experience as I go. I will still be launching AVAnalysis.com and I will fully respect any vendors requests to be excluded.

There is no reason we can't all treat each other with respect here on AVS. I have no issue with PSA and I will be glad to feature PSA someday [once I can get A/V Analysis going full swing].
chucky7 and jamiebosco like this.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 05-17-2018 at 08:56 PM.
post #42283 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 5532 Post(s)
Liked: 10653
Quote:

Hi,

I thought that Yamaha AVR trim levels only went down to a minimum of -10? There has been a good bit of discussion lately on a couple of threads about whether subwoofers can achieve max output levels with low gain settings. I agree with climber07 that you probably want to recalibrate in order to get to a trim level of no lower than -9.5.

But afterwards, I would raise my gain level to at least 10:00 or 11:00, even if I ended up reducing the master volume slightly to compensate. You can always bump your center channel by a decibel or two if you need to. But, I think that you may need more sub gain.

My guess is that your sub's gain level wasn't high enough to produce the SPL it needed to, with some strong LFE peaks at a particular frequency, and that it clipped a bit when it tried.

Regards,
Mike
ahblaza likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #42284 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
some of the prominent sub testers or gtg guys should record a clip of all the different subs playing different tones so the audience can get a feel of how different every sub can sound playing the same thing

measurements dont display sound.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #42285 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It could be something in the source material itself. In instances like these, subs sound fine for weeks or months but with one new movie disc and one specific scene there's an unexpected noise...the variable is the scene. Not saying this is definitive...but it's the variable in the room so to speak..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #42286 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post

Lol. My all time favorite show! By the way what do you that 0.5 day in the year?

My contract says I can take a day off with every Browns win...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Jsnow17 likes this.

post #42287 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I don't blame you one bit for being unhappy about the "fart box" debacle.... I didn't make that comment nor did I post it (I believe it may have been @chucky7 who posted it, he did not make the comment originally).
No. I have never used the term "fart box" in my posts. I believe a past PSA user came up with that term.

On a related or unrelated matter, I did not come up with the term "chuffmaster" either. The term was coined by one of the attendants of the GTG.

Last edited by chucky7; 05-12-2018 at 06:39 PM.
post #42288 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Can you provide the specific times in the movie where you hear this?
post #42289 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
some of the prominent sub testers or gtg guys should record a clip of all the different subs playing different tones so the audience can get a feel of how different every sub can sound playing the same thing

measurements dont display sound.
Not sure if our customer's really prioritize what a test "tone" will sound like over movies and music tbh. I cannot speak for other fan bases of course, just going by my experience interacting with our guys in chat/email/phone. I never use test tones during our listening sessions so we may or may not sound great in that context. On the other hand when actual source material is used we often fair a little better

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ng-better.html

So both subs arrived on Thursday but I was so tired from work I was not able to review them until this passed weekend. Man oh man let me tell you first let me start off by saying both subs were everything I was hoping for and more. So over the weekend I watched about 4 or 5 movies that were BASS heavy. I first watched behind enemy lines along with Thor and Batman vs Superman, also a little kids movie for my daughter in which I can not remember the name to. I first audition the Rythmik FV15HP and this subs is amazing. In my house this sub was able to go as low as 10Hz, 15hz with no problem at all. Between the two this one digged deeper in the lower FR. The overall sound quality was amazing and I almost ended up buying this one . I really have nothing bad to say about the FV15HP job well done Rythmik. Now on to the PSA V1801, man oh man this sub is like night and day compared to the 15V's I had previously, don't get me wrong I like the 15's but they were not strong enough in the lower FR in my theater. They just did not get me excited when it was called upon to hit me in the gut so to speak. Well with the V1801 I had no such problem at all. It really made my seats become a massage chair when it was called upon for bass and I mean BASS. My wife was not to excited at first about me upgrading and trying to get duals because to her the 15V's were more than enough. Not until she felt the beast of this thing. She could not believe how much air was flowing through the ports and how much clean bass was coming out of them. Now I mention earlier that the Rythmik produce a deeper bass response, however the PSA was much stronger overall as far as raw output. So even though the Rythmik dig deeper the PSA had a stronger feeling when producing the lows because of the stronger amp. So for that reason alone we decided to go with the PSA also because it was smaller as well (WAF). Overall job well done for both companies but I am going with the V1801 and will eventually get another one as well.

If all anyone read was one of the charts posted at avs along with the same three guys yelling "fart box"...I doubt they would have thought the v1801 would stand a chance against one of the very best subs available at the same price?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #42290 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
What is that...a Titleist?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	marine biologist.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2401992  
imureh likes this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #42291 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2929 Post(s)
Liked: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
What is that...a Titleist?

Hahahaha! Man I love that show. Greatest of all times!

jamiebosco likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #42292 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
I have to admit, I got off on the wrong foot with PSA due to my own inexperience and ignorance but, once I figured it out, their **** pounds pretty hard! The CS is top notch. Im pleased.

Meh, that's water under the bridge. I always felt like you were caught in the middle to some degree. You weren't happy and I can only imagine how many PMs you got(from the same 3 guys) trying to convince you how "defective" the design is, what a con man I am, how you got ripped off, you need to get a full refund and get jtr...blah blah. You just thought they were trying to help when their priority was/is casting a negative cloud over power sound by any means available. Reminds me of the diner scene in Real Genius..

Anyway, let me know when you're ready for v3601 number two and we're make it happen!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
climber07, sk373, Pradeep2 and 1 others like this.

post #42293 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Hahahaha! Man I love that show. Greatest of all times!

It really is. I JUST watched Curb your Enthusiasm last year(binged the whole thing in about a month) and it is right up there too with the same kind of humor if anyone hasn't seen that one yet.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
jamiebosco and imureh like this.

post #42294 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure if our customer's really prioritize what a test "tone" will sound like over movies and music tbh. I cannot speak for other fan bases of course, just going by my experience interacting with our guys in chat/email/phone. I never use test tones during our listening sessions so we may or may not sound great in that context.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I just mention this because everyone seems to buy off of numbers on a chart vs how the stuff actually sounds...we have so many members on this forum, it would be easy to record a few clips of different subs with same material.

post #42295 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Is there any evidence that "everyone" or even a majority pick their subs based on chart numbers?
Marc Alexander and ahblaza like this.
post #42296 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

well what else does this forum talk about? being science and all?

post #42297 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It could be something in the source material itself. In instances like these, subs sound fine for weeks or months but with one new movie disc and one specific scene there's an unexpected noise...the variable is the scene. Not saying this is definitive...but it's the variable in the room so to speak..

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Thanks again Tom (and to all who responded), this is a great thread, probably my favorite! It’s like a family, it really is, and I’m so grateful to have found you guys and PSA.
After working with this for the last several hours (I tried every suggestion offered), i disconnected the Antimode i had installed months ago and voila! Everything came alive, and with none of the distortion I had been experiencing. What a tremendous difference! I’ve never experienced bass like that in my house EVER! The Antimode was strangling my V3601’s somehow. The plan now is to install a MiniDSP 2x4HD, manually set levels, timing, distance, phase, etc, then buy the Dirac plug in and run that. I can’t wait to re run some bass heavy favorites (I’d be doing it now, but it’s getting too late). Thanks again!

post #42298 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 3460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Hey guys, been about 3 years since I logged in here, but just wanted to say that my XV15se that I bought 3-4 years ago is still working great. While one can always have more bass, I never find myself wanting while watching movies or gaming. If I ever upgrade someday, I'll go right back to these guys.
You bring back fond memories with the mention of the XV15SEs, it's been a while but I believe my space never sounded much better than when I had four of them, it truly was a satisfying experience, thanks for the comment.............

Cheers Jeffrey
post #42299 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 3460
@jamie I'm still trying to verify the TG's output, I haven't forgotten my friend, you have any updates to report?

Cheers Jeffrey
post #42300 of 52604 Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Is there any evidence that "everyone" or even a majority pick their subs based on chart numbers?
I would say noobs like myself do. We don't know much (at first), so we look at charts and think they say it all.

I copied my post from January when I was an owner of the SVS PB12-NSD and was trying to figure out which way to go. Although not necessarily charts, it's numbers that mean something to us clueless "noobs."

It was after posting this and the majority of the feedback choosing PSA that landed me here....but instead I went with the v1801 in the end 🙂

My January post:
________
SVS PB12 Plus VS PSA V1500

Here's the comparison i made.

Driver-
SVS: 12"
PSA: 15"

Amplifier-
SVS: 800 watts RMS
(2300 watts peak)
PSA: 725 watts RMS
(1900 watts peak)

Freq. Response-
SVS:
18-250 Hz ? 3 dB (20 Hz mode)
16-250 Hz ? 3 dB (16 Hz mode)
23-250 Hz ? 3 dB (sealed mode)

PSA:
16-200 Hz ? 3 dB

Port Size & #
SVS: Triple 3"
PSA: One 4"

Dimension-
SVS: (H) 22" (W) 19.8" (D) 26.6"
PSA: (H) 25" (W) 17" (D) 24"

Weight-
SVS: 127 lbs
PSA: 86 lbs

Price-
SVS: $999-$1,199
PSA: $1,099
________

So yes I would say charts are a defining factor for the average audio consumer, but NOT for the average AVS experienced member. Just my opinion as a beginner into all this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page