Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1418 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62046Likes

post #42511 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
Expecting a 15v today with a boom stand and a miniDSP UMIK-1. Going head first into my first serious subwoofer. Its replacing a elemental a2-300. Hoping its a nice upgrade and i'm sure it will be. Cant wait to crawl around on the floor all night and learn REW. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a intro into REW.
Look at Alan P post and in his signature is a few links to keep you busy all weekend! Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42512 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdameron View Post
There aren't a lot of 15V owners here. Glad to see another one!

So, I am curious how you know you added 8db on the sub amp. My 15Vs are just dots. Did you just count dots, or something? It would be news to me if you are able to convert the dots to db. Based on my experience with two separate 15V setups in my house, I recommend you try this:

1) Use only 1 RCA input on the sub (do not use a Y connector to use both inputs). Gain knob between noon and 1pm. Delay set to minimum. Crossover set to maximum. Room size set to maximum.
2) Run audyssey. Hopefully it sets the sub trim between -11.5 and -6. Honestly, no big deal if it comes back -12 (or whatever max negative is in your AVR). Set speaker crossovers no higher than 80. I also prefer to lower the LPF for LFE down a bit.
3) Turn on DEQ. Turn off DVOL (actually I like DVOL for tv watching).
4) Test it. Add heat to the sub trim to your liking. You may only have to come up a couple db if audyssey brought back max negative. I go 6-8db hot with DEQ on, depending on content, typically watching at -20mv at most. The sub just pounds. Can't imagine watching any louder than that in my ~1980 cubic foot sealed movie space. I played MMFR through it for the first time the other day and it was awesome.

Also, with DEQ on, make sure your reference level offset is 0. That is the default, so it probably is.

I used an SPL meter and REW to determine the Db increase using the gain on the sub. I just placed the mic at the MLP and turned up the gain until it increased by 8db. I'm trying some various settings to get a better experience with seating distance at the moment. I don't use DEQ because this boosts the subs too much and increases surround activity that I find distracting. And, it's best to stay below -12db on Audyssey because then you don't know what it's setting the sub at, so I shoot for around -10db.

I need to use a Y connector when running two subs because I don't have two sub preouts. A "Y" adapter worked great when I was able to audition two subs.

Speakers: Fronts- JBL 230, Center- JBL 235C, Surrounds: Fluance XLBP
Sub: PSA 15V
Processing: Onkyo 676
Video: BenQ 1080ST
post #42513 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Expecting a 15v today with a boom stand and a miniDSP UMIK-1. Going head first into my first serious subwoofer. Its replacing a elemental a2-300. Hoping its a nice upgrade and i'm sure it will be. Cant wait to crawl around on the floor all night and learn REW. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a intro into REW.
REW has been a great tool and I was intimidated initially with it, but after I got all the initial setup stuff out of the way, I find it pretty user friendly. And, you can always hop on here if you have any questions.

I have the 15V and really like it. Will be curious to hear your impressions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42514 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
There aren't a lot of 15V owners here. Glad to see another one!

So, I am curious how you know you added 8db on the sub amp. My 15Vs are just dots. Did you just count dots, or something? It would be news to me if you are able to convert the dots to db. Based on my experience with two separate 15V setups in my house, I recommend you try this:

1) Use only 1 RCA input on the sub (do not use a Y connector to use both inputs). Gain knob between noon and 1pm. Delay set to minimum. Crossover set to maximum. Room size set to maximum.
I just ordered a y adapter for my 15v and I am curious why you are saying not to use it?
post #42515 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks guy's that's more than enough to fill a couple weekends. I will was initially intimidated by auddessy as well but the gains were tremendous. Will REW also help with mains and surrounds after auddessy or is it more focused on subs?
post #42516 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 AM

All of you 15v owners that seem to have popped up, especially those with REW my room is 3200ft3 and open to the rest of my basement on concrete slab. I am totally considering just going near field behind my couch as I am not quite sure that a 15v is going to be able to pressurize that room at all, and if I put it at the front of the room it would be 17ft away from my couch, if I put it at the back of the room in the corner opposite the entrance it would only be 6ft away.

What do you 15v owners think I should do?
post #42517 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 3348
Quote:
Thanks guy's that's more than enough to fill a couple weekends. I will was initially intimidated by auddessy as well but the gains were tremendous. Will REW also help with mains and surrounds after auddessy or is it more focused on subs?

It will help with both. It will allow you to see your FR with and without mains as well as play with the crossover to make improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahblaza likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #42518 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
All of you 15v owners that seem to have popped up, especially those with REW my room is 3200ft3 and open to the rest of my basement on concrete slab. I am totally considering just going near field behind my couch as I am not quite sure that a 15v is going to be able to pressurize that room at all, and if I put it at the front of the room it would be 17ft away from my couch, if I put it at the back of the room in the corner opposite the entrance it would only be 6ft away.

I am not a 15V owner but I agree that is a large space for one 15 inch sub to fill in. You would be better off having it near field if you are not able to add another.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #42519 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

3,200 cubic feet is a good sized room, so near field might be your best bet for more tactile response. The 15V won't be able to pressurize that space very well. 17 Feet away is quite a distance away as well. You can try the sub in the back of the room which would be closer, but you might run into localization issues depending on how the sub interacts with your room and how sensitive you are to directional sound. I recently tried putting my sub in the back middle of the room and it tends to feel like the bass is coming from behind me and it's about 8 feet away. Testing is free!

post #42520 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
I think you’ll be disappointed with that speaker in that large of a room. The only alternative is if you really put it close to you and then you might run into localization issues. Best bet is to add one for now and put it near you and then add one in the future and put it on the front soundstage

post #42521 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:

jgourlie, That is a large room. Go near field until you can get a second one. That is what I did when I started with my XV15SE, as my room is 2600ft 3.
post #42522 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the quick responses. I am not a super loud listener for a lot of reasons including WAF and I mentioned that to Tom when I made the purchase and he said I would be happy with the 15v. My room isn't built yet, but I have hooked the 15v up in my unfinished basement to just test it out and it sounds great and can pound in my wide open basement.

I guess I just want to get the most out of it with my situation (dual subs isn't going to happen for many years, probably never), I only ever listen upto -10mv max as I put a limiter on my denon in case my kids get a hold of the remote.

So it seems that nearfield is going to give me localization issues?

In the owner's manual it says to put the sub in the corner opposite the room opening, which in my room would be behind the couch about 6ft away. So this could also cause localization?

I am going to do basstraps in at least 2 of the 3 corners of my room as the 4th corner is open/no door so I will only have 3 corners. If I put the sub in 1 corner then I would only put basstraps in 2 corners.

The more I type the more I realize I am going to have to get REW and a Umik, which kind of sucks cause I live in Canada and it adds so much extra cost for everything for something I will use once and then put in a closet.
post #42523 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the quick responses. I am not a super loud listener for a lot of reasons including WAF and I mentioned that to Tom when I made the purchase and he said I would be happy with the 15v. My room isn't built yet, but I have hooked the 15v up in my unfinished basement to just test it out and it sounds great and can pound in my wide open basement.

I guess I just want to get the most out of it with my situation (dual subs isn't going to happen for many years, probably never), I only ever listen upto -10mv max as I put a limiter on my denon in case my kids get a hold of the remote.

In the owner's manual it says to put the sub in the corner opposite the room opening, which in my room would be behind the couch about 6ft away. So this could also cause localization?

I am going to do basstraps in at least 2 of the 3 corners of my room as the 4th corner is open/no door so I will only have 3 corners. If I put the sub in 1 corner then I would only put basstraps in 2 corners.

The more I type the more I realize I am going to have to get REW and a Umik, which kind of sucks cause I live in Canada and it adds so much extra cost for everything for something I will use once and then put in a closet.

You might not have localization issues. Only one way to find out...

post #42524 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 AM

Does REW work good with MAC and apple?

I haven't really looked into it at all as I was just going to go without it put up some sound treatments and bass traps and hope for the best.

Dang it, the theatre budget just went up!!
post #42525 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does REW work good with MAC and apple?

I haven't really looked into it at all as I was just going to go without it put up some sound treatments and bass traps and hope for the best.

Dang it, the theatre budget just went up!!
Yes it does. You need to look into the link for Mac set up in the REW guide

post #42526 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
I just ordered a y adapter for my 15v and I am curious why you are saying not to use it?

I preferred the sound and performance with 1 input & mid-range gain setting than 2 inputs and a low gain setting.

You should certainly try both and report back.

Denon 1911
LCR: Polk RTiA7, CSiA6
Front height: 8" Monoprice in-ceiling
Rear: 6.5" Monoprice in-ceiling
Sub: PSA 15V x2
post #42527 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I preferred the sound and performance with 1 input & mid-range gain setting than 2 inputs and a low gain setting.

You should certainly try both and report back.
ok I see what you are saying. Makes sense.

It does seem intuitive to get into the higher gain settings of the subwoofer amplifier power in order to get the most out of the sub after audyssey.
post #42528 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 2638
Quote:

What can help reduce localisation is an 80Hz crossover. Above that can be more challenging.
ahblaza likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #42529 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Thanks Mark! Can DIYers request either? @Pradeep2 ?
Mine are all OEM: 4kw and two 700W icepowers from PSA, two 2400w from Reaction Audio with PSA dsp tuning

Maybe @MKtheater can assist I think he bought a 4kw direct from Brian.
post #42530 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
What can help reduce localisation is an 80Hz crossover. Above that can be more challenging.
Is that 80hz on the lpf lfe? rather than the standard 120hz?
post #42531 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No, it’s the speaker crossover

post #42532 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Correct. That been said it depends on the capability of one's mains (if) 80Hz will work best but above 80Hz seems to be where localisation can be more easily heard.
jgourlie likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #42533 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post

My towers will probably end up at 40hz but I would move it to 80hz in my denon as standard practice probably anyways.

@indebtbassfreak ok that will be something I will look into
post #42534 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post

No, i was refuring to 80Hz on the LFE channel.
jgourlie likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #42535 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My towers will probably end up at 40hz but I would move it to 80hz in my denon as standard practice probably anyways.

@indebtbassfreak ok that will be something I will look into
80Hz on your towers will send more of the bass work to your sub, and 80Hz on your LFE channel is a good start

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #42536 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 4858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Mine are all OEM: 4kw and two 700W icepowers from PSA, two 2400w from Reaction Audio with PSA dsp tuning

Maybe @MKtheater can assist I think he bought a 4kw direct from Brian.
Oh… I thought you were using amps direct from Speakerpower for the UltraMax 18s. Did I just inagine or were you considering it?
post #42537 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
80Hz on your towers will send more of the bass work to your sub, and 80Hz on your LFE channel is a good start
This could be the solution that I am looking for. Nearfield and minimal localization by lowering the lfe lpf to 80hz.

Thanks for the help
post #42538 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This could be the solution that I am looking for. Nearfield and minimal localization by lowering the lfe lpf to 80hz.

Thanks for the help
I think you will be happy with towers set at 80Hz and LFE 80Hz. (If) there is no localization you can experiment with 90/100Hz. Good luck!
Marc Alexander and ahblaza like this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #42539 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 4858
Quote:
Quote:
80Hz is a good start but for me 60Hz has been best to eliminate localization when the mains are capable. This is for the speaker crossovers. The LFE LPF is a different topic altogether. It is best to leave that at 120Hz to start.
Pradeep2 likes this.
post #42540 of 51260 Old 05-18-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, i was refuring to 80Hz on the LFE channel.

Hmmm. Not sure how that will help but doesn’t hurt to try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page