Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1453 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66491Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #43561 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
Got any before and after photos?


Here you go

Before:



After: (of course the trim needs to be finished)




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #43562 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
@imureh dude that sucks! It looks so much better with them flush against the wall tho. You gotta recalibrate them using REW. I've moved so many things around and have had to do this over and over with REW and it always gets fixed. It's a trip how the smallest adjustments whether it's distance or Sub amp settings can change the FR. You're gonna have to experiment with the delay and room size till it goes back to normal. Normally running same dual subs at equidistant wouldn't need delay adjustment but I think that might be why it sounds worse. First time I setup my duals (i know it's different cuz they're not matching) it sounded better with just one than with 2...until I dialed them in.

Keep us posted if you do re-dial them in if it helps or if the best spot for them in your room really is where they were at before.
imureh likes this.
GeoJustGeo is offline  
post #43563 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
@imureh dude that sucks! It looks so much better with them flush against the wall tho. You gotta recalibrate them using REW. I've moved so many things around and have had to do this over and over with REW and it always gets fixed. It's a trip how the smallest adjustments whether it's distance or Sub amp settings can change the FR. You're gonna have to experiment with the delay and room size till it goes back to normal. Normally running same dual subs at equidistant wouldn't need delay adjustment but I think that might be why it sounds worse. First time I setup my duals (i know it's different cuz they're not matching) it sounded better with just one than with 2...until I dialed them in.



Keep us posted if you do re-dial them in if it helps or if the best spot for them in your room really is where they were at before.


Yeah man i was hoping it would sound better. I did play around with the sub distance but that did not much for the FR. One thing I will try is to set them again and two subs rather than one and see how it sounds. The point for me is that if they need to be where they were then might as well get the shelf back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahblaza and GeoJustGeo like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #43564 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
Question. In theory, can I run my v3601 on the front stage that’s in a corner at room size 1/2 and And my v1801 that is not in a corner and VNF behind couch at room size large? I know I can and will measure but should both subs be at same room size level?

Edit. Since I’m new to this hobby I’m experimenting again with crossover points for music and I listen to 100 Hz crossover for the last month or so and I I have not been able to locate either subwoofer but I feel like there’s a touch of boominess in my room at 100 hz so I’m going to try 60 hz for the next month or so and see how I feel about that. Another part of me says maybe it’s the room size setting that should be halfway instead of max. I thought I read somewhere where turning down room size emphasizes midbass and I want to clean up things in general so I think also lowering the crossover in conjunction Will do that.

I feel like my taste in subwoofers are evolving a little bit :-)I used to be all about the slam and boom but now I just want good sound quality and tightness across the spectrum with the ability to get Crunk on a drunk night :-)
I've found that lowering my room size on my v1801 actually helped create a way better FR. Looks like you're going to have to experiment.

As for your sub progression, it's awesome that you're starting to see things more clear and are finding out what's more important to you. I think we all (at least I do) would like that revelation before we go sub shopping. Sounds like maybe Rythmik might be something that would fit your style a lil more, but idk I'm still learning.
GeoJustGeo is offline  
post #43565 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
Question. In theory, can I run my v3601 on the front stage that’s in a corner at room size 1/2 and And my v1801 that is not in a corner and VNF behind couch at room size large? I know I can and will measure but should both subs be at same room size level?

Edit. Since I’m new to this hobby I’m experimenting again with crossover points for music and I listen to 100 Hz crossover for the last month or so and I I have not been able to locate either subwoofer but I feel like there’s a touch of boominess in my room at 100 hz so I’m going to try 60 hz for the next month or so and see how I feel about that. Another part of me says maybe it’s the room size setting that should be halfway instead of max. I thought I read somewhere where turning down room size emphasizes midbass and I want to clean up things in general so I think also lowering the crossover in conjunction Will do that.

I feel like my taste in subwoofers are evolving a little bit :-)I used to be all about the slam and boom but now I just want good sound quality and tightness across the spectrum with the ability to get Crunk on a drunk night :-)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something I would recommend playing with is the crossover for the lfe channel, if your receiver supports it. Default is i believe 120Hz but I have a much more seamless experience with that set to 80Hz. No localization from my vnf subs behind the mlp. Now there is the argument that you then "lose out on frequencies above 80Hz that have been placed in the lfe channel, but when you listen to say Transformers 1 with lfe set to 80hz versus 120hz i find it sounds far more natural not to have Optimus' voice coming out of the subs for example.
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #43566 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 5033
@imureh maybe just pull them a touch forward and it will possibly sound better and you'll still have the cool "flush" look.
SuperFist and imureh like this.
subacabra is offline  
post #43567 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
@imureh maybe just pull them a touch forward and it will possibly sound better and you'll still have the cool "flush" look.


Yeah I tried that. I think the subs may be getting too much boundary gain being in corner. It just made the other speakers sound awful too. It’s amazing what one thinks should sound better and what actually does.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43568 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,860
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked: 11381
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
For those who are familiar with my room will recall that I had a wall to wall shelf in front of room with the V1801s sitting in front of them. Well today was the day when I finally had the shelf split to allow moving the subs against the front and wall. It looked really clean and symmetrical. Then I ran calibration and ran some sweeps. The FR was ok but not as good as before and then started the listening test. OMG! It sounded horrible! Not just the subs but the other speakers too. I hated it. Had my kids listen to it and they said the same thing. Thankfully I saved the other piece of the shelf. The finish is ruined and some damage to trim but can be fixed. So the shelf will return but will leave as two pieces to allow some flexibility in future. I had this fear and it was confirmed today. The whole thing was missing clarity, punch, TR, blending you name it. I was so disgusted that I shut everything down and went to my room.

FYI @mthomas47 @Marc Alexander @chucky7 @enricoclaudio @Hop inator @basshead81
Sorry to hear that Ray. What's weird to me is that everything got worse. I could see losing some TR due to moving the subs farther away and perhaps some clarity due to the possible boomy effect that can happen with corner loading but on the other hand I would think there would be more output due to the corner loading.

To be honest, since you did all that work I would spend some serious time trying to get it all blended before putting everything back. I would try messing with the Room size control, the crossovers and the delays (post Audyssey) to see if you can't dial it in a bit better. IMO it shouldn't have fallen apart as bad as it did with that modification. But every room behaves differently so perhaps it did.
imureh likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #43569 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Sorry to hear that Ray. What's weird to me is that everything got worse. I could see losing some TR due to moving the subs farther away and perhaps some clarity due to the possible boomy effect that can happen with corner loading but on the other hand I would think there would be more output due to the corner loading.



To be honest, since you did all that work I would spend some serious time trying to get it all blended before putting everything back. I would try messing with the Room size control, the crossovers and the delays (post Audyssey) to see if you can't dial it in a bit better. IMO it shouldn't have fallen apart as bad as it did with that modification. But every room behaves differently so perhaps it did.

I will try some things today. I recently watched Rampage and hurricane heist under the old set up and man those things pounded. That bass sharp and tight. Now it seems dull and loose. Will play more. I gave the other piece to someone to make two tables out of it so have called them to pause. Lol. I also have dual PB13s coming in mid aug and potentially FV18s for some fun comparison. So I need to get this sorted before then.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43570 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ray, it may be helpful if you lay out the details of what you tried after moving the subs. Did you reset everything back to square 1, level match, then work on phase and distance etc? I’m sure collectively we should be able to figure out the cause of the sound degradation and if you’re able to run sweeps in REW and post them that will help too. I can understand the frustration of spending time and/or money only to set yourself backwards, not fun. FWIW if we can figure out how to get things back in balance it’s going to look super clean when it’s all finished up!
imureh and GeoJustGeo like this.
hawkeyejw is offline  
post #43571 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyejw View Post
Ray, it may be helpful if you lay out the details of what you tried after moving the subs. Did you reset everything back to square 1, level match, then work on phase and distance etc? I’m sure collectively we should be able to figure out the cause of the sound degradation and if you’re able to run sweeps in REW and post them that will help too. I can understand the frustration of spending time and/or money only to set yourself backwards, not fun. FWIW if we can figure out how to get things back in balance it’s going to look super clean when it’s all finished up!


Sure my friend. I will post the FR which is not a lot worse than before. Yes I did start from scratch on the calibration and then level matching. Then post Audyssey tried the sub distance tweak. I still ran them as one sub. Audyssey did increase the distance by 1ft. I can try and run them as separate as well to see how it looks. As I noted above, it could be the additional boundary gain that is clouding things. I even reduced the room size from 2 to noon. My kidos were saying they were missing the back massage too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43572 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
@imureh thinking about it a lil more I think what could have happened is that you got used to the TR from them being closer to you so now that they're further away you're missing that punch.

When I setup my duals in the living room and dialed everything in the best I could, I was so happy with the results at my MLP that I called my 13 yr old son to sit in my spot and check out our demo/testing scene from The Incredible Hulk. He sat there and laughed, I was thinking he must've liked it alot....i was very wrong lol. He was laughing at me and said he felt sorry for me cuz my mlp sucks! I was so happy n excited cuz to me it was the best my spot has sounded yet. The reason he didn't like it and described he didn't feel much there is because he got used to sitting 2 ft from the v1801 so he got used to that vnf couch rattling. We switched spots and I sat in his and realized that yeah compared to my spot he had the sweet spot. Anyways, so yeah I think you might be missing that punch from them being closer, jmo.
SuperFist and imureh like this.
GeoJustGeo is offline  
post #43573 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
@Gust geo it’s very possible. I will play some more today but if the old location is how everything sounds best then that is what it is. It’s dedicated media room so looks don’t matter as much as the sound does.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43574 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 5033
Another possible thing I would consider trying would be turning the subs around with drivers facing the wall. Would look kind of funny with amp plates exposed but could perhaps help with fr and overall sound.
You never know
imureh likes this.
subacabra is offline  
post #43575 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 3640
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Here you go

Before:



After: (of course the trim needs to be finished)




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the new orientation, but you said you don’t care for how it sounds now right? Maybe your ears will adapt to the new placement.
imureh likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
Sekosche is offline  
post #43576 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,360
Mentioned: 356 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5553 Post(s)
Liked: 10765
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Sure my friend. I will post the FR which is not a lot worse than before. Yes I did start from scratch on the calibration and then level matching. Then post Audyssey tried the sub distance tweak. I still ran them as one sub. Audyssey did increase the distance by 1ft. I can try and run them as separate as well to see how it looks. As I noted above, it could be the additional boundary gain that is clouding things. I even reduced the room size from 2 to noon. My kidos were saying they were missing the back massage too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ray,

I like the greater flexibility that removing the shelf gives you, but I get the impression that you are approaching this on an all or nothing basis. Either the subwoofers are pulled-out all the way in front of the shelf (old arrangement) or they are pushed all the way back into the corner (new arrangement). I think that you actually have some flexibility now to try multiple arrangements, including having the subs pulled out 6" more from the corners, or a foot more, etc.

I would also just concentrate on getting the bass right for a while. You can always experiment with pulling the speakers forward more or pushing them back further on the surface of the subwoofers. This may not make any difference at all, but when you do get ready to experiment with the speakers, I would probably put something between the subs and the speakers, both to protect the finish and to raise them up a little more. The height of the speakers changed a little, and who knows whether that may have affected the way you hear some frequencies?

You actually may have changed more variables here than you realized when you were doing this. I still think that having more placement options is a good thing, but now you just need to take your time to go back through the variables, one-at-a-time, to find out the placements of subwoofers, and then of speakers, which works best for you.

Regards,
Mike
ahblaza and imureh like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 07-14-2018 at 03:10 PM.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #43577 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
@mthomas47 one thing I did not mention is that the shelf you see in the pic is the larger side which will go out of the room and the smaller side back in once finished up so I would have more flexibility on the sides as well. I’ll do some more playing around when I get some time today and tomorrow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43578 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Thinking of pulling the shelf out entirely and finding a location for subs before Audyssey with the best response. What do you all think? The large shelf would come out anyways. Only the small side would remain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43579 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
David Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 1867
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

1:21:41 into in “A Quiet Place” starts about a 15 sec onslaught of roughly 20hz bass. I was listening to different scenes from the movie at reference and that’s the one timestamp I felt like my couch was lifting up with the V1801 firing inches into my back behind the couch. Unfortunately I can measure visually how hard the bass hits because my drywall that my TV is mounted on flexes and my TV shutters . I was clipping my Umik set at -18 (default) from 12 ft from v3601 and maybe a foot from my v1801 where my MLP is. Sexy bass and I can’t say that I’ve ever seen that much air pouring out of the ports in a constant stream... seems “chucky-ish” The footsteps prior to that part, are the only part of the movie where I can audibly hear my v3601 breathe. Also on that scene, where my head leans over the back of my couch, I could feel the air from the VA 1801 rushing up between the sub and the couch... I felt like someone turned on a fan from the floor.

1:18:43 to 1:19:12 (footsteps scene) has some super low (18ish hz) content that will test any ported sub unless it’s some 10-12hz tuned monster

It’s fun to have the house to yourself and have a fridge full of beer and subs that pound. My neighbors MAY disagree!!!!

Dave
David Charles is offline  
post #43580 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
1:21:41 into in “A Quiet Place” starts about a 15 sec onslaught of roughly 20hz bass. I was listening to different scenes from the movie at reference and that’s the one timestamp I felt like my couch was lifting up with the V1801 firing inches into my back behind the couch. Unfortunately I can measure visually how hard the bass hits because my drywall that my TV is mounted on flexes and my TV shutters . I was clipping my Umik set at -18 (default) from 12 ft from v3601 and maybe a foot from my v1801 where my MLP is. Sexy bass and I can’t say that I’ve ever seen that much air pouring out of the ports in a constant stream... seems “chucky-ish” The footsteps prior to that part, are the only part of the movie where I can audibly hear my v3601 breathe. Also on that scene, where my head leans over the back of my couch, I could feel the air from the VA 1801 rushing up between the sub and the couch... I felt like someone turned on a fan from the floor.

1:18:43 to 1:19:12 (footsteps scene) has some super low (18ish hz) content that will test any ported sub unless it’s some 10-12hz tuned monster

It’s fun to have the house to yourself and have a fridge full of beer and subs that pound. My neighbors MAY disagree!!!!

Dave
Don't have near the firepower most you guys got, two hsu vtf2 and outlaw x12, but that movie still made my wife think the room was going to come apart. Lol. Scared the crap out of her. Loved it
SuperFist, simple man and rcapron like this.
jsb75 is offline  
post #43581 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Member
 
thelonghop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Appreciate the order! I'm going to spend a bit of time today evaluating all back orders and new orders so I can update all estimate shipping dates for everyone.

the "hkts 16" as in the HTiB system with the 8 inch sealed sub? That will do more harm than good.

Are you still using the rest of the speakers from that package in the system?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Yes, that's the one. No, I'm not using the rest of those speakers.
thelonghop is offline  
post #43582 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Thinking of pulling the shelf out entirely and finding a location for subs before Audyssey with the best response. What do you all think? The large shelf would come out anyways. Only the small side would remain.

You could then attempt 1/4 spacing along the front walls, so I say try it.
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #43583 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
You could then attempt 1/4 spacing along the front walls, so I say try it.


Yeah. I forgot that then I have an issue for my left and right Speakers as they would then block the screen. Then I may be looking to spend money to get stands or towers. Not worth spending money on that as it sounded very good with shelf. Just did not look good. Will play more as they sit right now and then see. If I have to bring the shelf back to make things sound like they were then I am fine with that. But before I give in I will try and make it sound as best as I can with the current set up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43584 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Maybe use your v1801 boxes as temp stands for left and right? And then if it does work out concrete blocks are pretty cheap and sturdy.
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #43585 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Maybe use your v1801 boxes as temp stands for left and right? And then if it does work out concrete blocks are pretty cheap and sturdy.


Here is the old and new FR as best I could get it. These are subs only post Audyssey. The subs are presented to Audyssey as one as done previously. This is the only other thing I could do additionally is to show them as separate subs to Audyssey and see how they look and sound. The sound was better today for sure.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43586 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
David Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 1867
That’s a pretty good graph honestly


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David Charles is offline  
post #43587 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jamiebosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,312
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Thinking of pulling the shelf out entirely and finding a location for subs before Audyssey with the best response. What do you all think? The large shelf would come out anyways. Only the small side would remain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Room for 2 more V1801s or trade up to 2 x V3601 on their side?
jamiebosco is offline  
post #43588 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
Room for 2 more V1801s or trade up to 2 x V3601 on their side?


Nah mate. I have plenty of output and headroom. This change was for looks and not sound. So if I cannot get it to sound like it did before we will go back to how it was. I may try the quarter wall in front option as well before deciding what is best.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahblaza likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #43589 of 52915 Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ray, sorry for the slow response. Had a birthday party at our home for our three year old today and just getting settled after the madness.

I think Mike made very good points above, there were a number of changes all happening at once and it may be difficult to isolate the problems quickly.

Looking at your pictures and the graph you posted I agree it looks pretty close other than a more pronounced dip between 60 and 70 but with how narrow it is I’m not sure it is making that much difference. It would be interesting to see the before and after waterfalls as well but not sure if you have them available.

One thing that does stick out to me is the placement of your left and right before and after. The original placement with the subs extended in front of the bottom of the speaker baffles would have been creating a good bit of additional reflection off the top of the subs that you largely take away with the new placement. Usually that reflection is more detrimental to the sound but in your case it seems like it was working well. One thing you could try there is moving the subs out a bit but putting your L/R to the back of the sub cabinets and see if that makes a difference. It could help bring back a bit of the impact/TR with the subs a bit closer as well.

Did you save the original Audessey settings from before the reshuffle? If so did you try shifting back to them? Just wondering if something in the new filters is off that wasn’t before, if so perhaps it could be an easy fix.

At any rate, hope you’re able to get it sorted quickly.

Jeremy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mthomas47 likes this.
hawkeyejw is offline  
post #43590 of 52915 Old 07-15-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Been off the forum for a while now but had to pop in to share this.

Last night I was at someones house and they were insisting on watching Ready Player One. OK fine,but would rather wait till at home to watch on my system instead of a soundbar and ahem, a tiny box called a "subwoofer".

It was streaming from Xfinity and I saw that they were paying $21.99 to buy it as it wasnt available to rent yet. REALLY ???????, You cant wait for it to be able to rent

Granted they dont buy all the time but I was told, hey its cheaper than going to the movies and renting can be as high as $10.99 for streaming a new release. again.... REALLY????

Movie was good and looked good on a 65" plasma, but my inner voice cried out for my system in many instances.

Doing the math
$21.99 to stream purchase because you cant wait. $2.00 if you rent from Redbox in a few weeks as is how I rent.

At one movie a week, my cost savings is $1,038.48 per year or $519.48 if renting new release and its on a sound system that puts RPX and IMAX to shame. Multiply savings over the winter when we watch more than one a week from Redbox.


Maybe this hobby isnt so expensive after all and maybe we arnt the crazy ones with what we pay for sound equipment.
gbreda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off