Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1454 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66649Likes

post #43591 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 9683
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
I have never heard of this before. Would that make things much tighter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will help reduce localization and smooth the sound of the bass out especially when running higher crossover settings because a high pass filter is not a brick wall. If you have a 100hz cross over set in the AVR, the subs could still producing frequencies clear out to 150hz or so with a standard 18db per octave filter that I believe(it could be 24db cant remember for sure) most AVRs use. Using the sub crossover in conjunction can double the slope effectively reducing the frequency levels much lower past the cross over setting. So you might only be able to hear frequencies out to 120hz with both crossovers in play. Basically this will let you run a higher crossover to net the increased chest slam bass but not run into the boominess or rumbling voices that can be common when running a 100hz crossover...especially if you like to run the bass hot. Just experiment a little and see if it works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43592 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 9683
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Here you go

Before:

After: (of course the trim needs to be finished)

Did you try turning the V1801's so the drivers and port faces towards the entertainment stand?
Rolls Troyce likes this.
post #43593 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2990 Post(s)
Liked: 3834
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyejw View Post
Ray, sorry for the slow response. Had a birthday party at our home for our three year old today and just getting settled after the madness.

I think Mike made very good points above, there were a number of changes all happening at once and it may be difficult to isolate the problems quickly.

Looking at your pictures and the graph you posted I agree it looks pretty close other than a more pronounced dip between 60 and 70 but with how narrow it is I’m not sure it is making that much difference. It would be interesting to see the before and after waterfalls as well but not sure if you have them available.

One thing that does stick out to me is the placement of your left and right before and after. The original placement with the subs extended in front of the bottom of the speaker baffles would have been creating a good bit of additional reflection off the top of the subs that you largely take away with the new placement. Usually that reflection is more detrimental to the sound but in your case it seems like it was working well. One thing you could try there is moving the subs out a bit but putting your L/R to the back of the sub cabinets and see if that makes a difference. It could help bring back a bit of the impact/TR with the subs a bit closer as well.

Did you save the original Audessey settings from before the reshuffle? If so did you try shifting back to them? Just wondering if something in the new filters is off that wasn’t before, if so perhaps it could be an easy fix.

At any rate, hope you’re able to get it sorted quickly.

Jeremy

Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions. As suggested indeed there were quite a few things going in the change I made. So as @mthomas47 suggested I raised the left and right speakers using the foam they came with to the same level as they were on the shelf. So took them out of the equation somewhat. Then I messed around pulling subs forward, then a bit back, a bit to left and a bit to right to get the best response. Then I ran calibration. Something must have not run correctly on the last time I ran calibration or the changes made allowed things to work better but after running Audyssey and level matching the subs, it sounded a lot better and I mean a lot! I played some of my familiar scenes like San Andreas, TIH Park scene and I definitely felt a difference in the low end. The subs seemed to hit a lot harder in the lower tuned scenes compared to the original location and I really liked it. The blending with the speakers returned, the chest slam was back plus they started hitting with a lot more authority in the low end which was a pleasant surprise. The subs are now about 8 inches from front wall and sound best there. The improvement was so pronounced that I am now thinking not to mess with it at all by comparing to other subs. But since they are no cost comparisons it may be worth it just for grins.

So I think that something did not work right the first time and as Mike said may be doing all or nothing approach was not working plus may be the change to speaker height was making the overall experience just sounded bad. The FR did not change much. The narrow dip around 60 hz is room induced and may go away once I add room treatments The one around 100hz seems to be new but I can’t hear it and it is narrow. So right it sounds really good, better than how it is sounded even in the past!

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43594 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That's awesome Ray, glad it's all sorted!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
imureh likes this.
post #43595 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Imureh what are you crossing over to your subs at?
post #43596 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Awesome, glad it worked out!
imureh likes this.
post #43597 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Imureh what are you crossing over to your subs at?

Speakers at 100hz and the LPF for LFE at 120hz

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #43598 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Did you try turning the V1801's so the drivers and port faces towards the entertainment stand?

Nope I did not try that but it seems like the kinks got worked out.

post #43599 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 91
imureh

That exactly what I have plan on doing on my room dual subs with speaker on top.

how wide is that wall, and what is the screen size?

can you post a pic of the updated placement.
so the subs are now 8'' from all walls boundaries? or just the wall?
how high are the tweeter from the ground?

thanks.
post #43600 of 52988 Old 07-15-2018, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
imureh

That exactly what I have plan on doing on my room dual subs with speaker on top.

how wide is that wall, and what is the screen size?

can you post a pic of the updated placement.
so the subs are now 8'' from all walls boundaries? or just the wall?
how high are the tweeter from the ground?

thanks.

Hi there, the front wall is 12 ft wide and 9 feet tall. The screen size is 120 inches. I have included the pictures which shows the foam I placed under the speakers to raise them back to the shelf height. I have also included one that shows the distance from side back and front wall. Probably about 8 inches from front wall and about 6 from side walls. The tweeter is approximately 38 to 40 inches high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #43601 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Been off the forum for a while now but had to pop in to share this.

Last night I was at someones house and they were insisting on watching Ready Player One. OK fine,but would rather wait till at home to watch on my system instead of a soundbar and ahem, a tiny box called a "subwoofer".

It was streaming from Xfinity and I saw that they were paying $21.99 to buy it as it wasnt available to rent yet. REALLY ???????, You cant wait for it to be able to rent

Granted they dont buy all the time but I was told, hey its cheaper than going to the movies and renting can be as high as $10.99 for streaming a new release. again.... REALLY????

Movie was good and looked good on a 65" plasma, but my inner voice cried out for my system in many instances.

Doing the math
$21.99 to stream purchase because you cant wait. $2.00 if you rent from Redbox in a few weeks as is how I rent.

At one movie a week, my cost savings is $1,038.48 per year or $519.48 if renting new release and its on a sound system that puts RPX and IMAX to shame. Multiply savings over the winter when we watch more than one a week from Redbox.

Maybe this hobby isnt so expensive after all and maybe we arnt the crazy ones with what we pay for sound equipment.

When women want me to go to their place to "watch a movie" I always go through the dilemma of , do I want to risk losing some booty in order to truly enjoy the movie by watching it at my house instead? lol

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6300H, 7.3.4 Atmos: Subs: PSA 1 S7201, 2 V3611, Fronts: SVS Ultra Towers, Center: SVS Ultra Center, Surrounds: 4 SVS Ultra Bookshelves, Ceilings: 4 JBL 81C
TV: LeEco uMax85, Disc Player: Sony UBP-X700
HTC: Water Cooled, MB: Z170 Gaming G1, CPU: 6700K @ 4.5GHz, RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600, SSD: 1TB 960 EVO, 1TB M8Pe(G), HDD: 2x 12 TB, PSU: SuperNOVA 1000, GPU: 2080ti, Case: 909
post #43602 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Troyce View Post
When women want me to go to their place to "watch a movie" I always go through the dilemma of , do I want to risk losing some booty in order to truly enjoy the movie by watching it at my house instead? lol
post #43603 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1424
Quote:
Damn, with your set up. No chance I would watch a movie anywhere else! Booty or not
Rolls Troyce likes this.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #43604 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Hi there, the front wall is 12 ft wide and 9 feet tall. The screen size is 120 inches. I have included the pictures which shows the foam I placed under the speakers to raise them back to the shelf height. I have also included one that shows the distance from side back and front wall. Probably about 8 inches from front wall and about 6 from side walls. The tweeter is approximately 38 to 40 inches high.
nice so you have a room more like mine (13x13odd shape opening on one side x 9ceiling), it seem that most member have huge room 15 ft plus.
Have you tried the 15'' ported subs before in that room?
Do you get to feel some tactical response and don't have all the component on the TV stand shake out of place?

Still trying to decide if 15" or 18"

I think I would drive Tom crazy I cant decide.
post #43605 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Sorry for the delay in response. Anyone following along should email me/chat for quickest response time.

We can offer trade in credit on any power sound product. We actually have a bunch of trade ins in stock now including 5 or 6 of the XV15/XV15se models, a couple V1500s, and a few others I'm probably forgetting.

Just one of those perks that is difficult to "score" in a simplistic comparison chart

Email or pop into chat when time allows and we can figure it all out.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
What do you do with those trade ins? Do they go to the outlet center, use them for parts? I keep watching the outlet center, but have not seen anything new for some time now.
fastninja76 likes this.
post #43606 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post
What do you do with those trade ins? Do they go to the outlet center, use them for parts? I keep watching the outlet center, but have not seen anything new for some time now.
Yes! I always go the site and there rarely is anything in there. It might be a Facebook thing. Too bad I dont have Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V3601
post #43607 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 10482
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post
Almost all are re-sold as b-stock but a large percentage of those won't make it to the outlet page for one reason or another. We have a bunch of xv15se(2-3 with ice upgrades), a couple of v1500, a 15s, a xs30se, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting.

We also still have a few S3000i, S1500, 15S, S3601 cabinets heading inbound soon as well. Obviously those will all be sold at a discount even though they are brand new products.

Email/pop into chat for details.

Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #43608 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 10482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja76 View Post
Yes! I always go the site and there rarely is anything in there. It might be a Facebook thing. Too bad I dont have Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
We really don't get a high percentage of returns. I'd say 98% of anything sent back is for trade in purposes. And the trades ins tend to go in spurts whenever we release something new.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #43609 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I used to have this problem but once they come over they understand why I won't go to their place lol. They don't even bother asking after that, plans are made here automatically lol. Win, win.
ahblaza and iceatola like this.
post #43610 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
@gbreda Thanks for reminding us how the other half lives or better said the other 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Been off the forum for a while now but had to pop in to share this.

Last night I was at someones house and they were insisting on watching Ready Player One. OK fine,but would rather wait till at home to watch on my system instead of a soundbar and ahem, a tiny box called a "subwoofer".

It was streaming from Xfinity and I saw that they were paying $21.99 to buy it as it wasnt available to rent yet. REALLY ???????, You cant wait for it to be able to rent

Granted they dont buy all the time but I was told, hey its cheaper than going to the movies and renting can be as high as $10.99 for streaming a new release. again.... REALLY????

Movie was good and looked good on a 65" plasma, but my inner voice cried out for my system in many instances.

Doing the math
$21.99 to stream purchase because you cant wait. $2.00 if you rent from Redbox in a few weeks as is how I rent.

At one movie a week, my cost savings is $1,038.48 per year or $519.48 if renting new release and its on a sound system that puts RPX and IMAX to shame. Multiply savings over the winter when we watch more than one a week from Redbox.

Maybe this hobby isnt so expensive after all and maybe we arnt the crazy ones with what we pay for sound equipment.
ahblaza likes this.

Spoiler!
post #43611 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
nice so you have a room more like mine (13x13odd shape opening on one side x 9ceiling), it seem that most member have huge room 15 ft plus.

Have you tried the 15'' ported subs before in that room?

Do you get to feel some tactical response and don't have all the component on the TV stand shake out of place?

Still trying to decide if 15" or 18"

I think I would drive Tom crazy I cant decide.

Hi, my room is 12x19 with 9ft ceiling in half of room and 8 feet in rear half due to riser for second row. So its about 2100 cuft. It is sealed and on a suspended floor, so I get tons of TR in addition to a lot of room gain. I went from a 12 inch cylindrical sub to dual 18s, didn't mess with any 15s... even though I did try dual seaton submersives HP which were 4 15s driven by 4800 watts of power. I would go with the 1811 duals man, it will rock your world in that room.

Some more room pics for you

post #43612 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
[QUOTE=imureh;56498556]Hi, my room is 12x19 with 9ft ceiling in half of room and 8 feet in rear half due to riser for second row. So its about 2100 cuft. It is sealed and on a suspended floor, so I get tons of TR in addition to a lot of room gain. I went from a 12 inch cylindrical sub to dual 18s, didn't mess with any 15s... even though I did try dual seaton submersives HP which were 4 15s driven by 4800 watts of power. I would go with the 1811 duals man, it will rock your world in that room.

Nice room @imureh !
imureh likes this.
post #43613 of 52988 Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=lizrussspike;56498876]
Quote:
Hi, my room is 12x19 with 9ft ceiling in half of room and 8 feet in rear half due to riser for second row. So its about 2100 cuft. It is sealed and on a suspended floor, so I get tons of TR in addition to a lot of room gain. I went from a 12 inch cylindrical sub to dual 18s, didn't mess with any 15s... even though I did try dual seaton submersives HP which were 4 15s driven by 4800 watts of power. I would go with the 1811 duals man, it will rock your world in that room.

Nice room @imureh !

Thx Russ!

post #43614 of 52988 Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 AM

imureh

yes man your room look nice,

I guess that it I get the 18''
for sure
ahblaza likes this.
post #43615 of 52988 Old 07-17-2018, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
[quote=imureh;56499236]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post

Thx Russ!

You bet @imureh! I like what you did with the riser! When I have my senior move out next year, I am going to build a riser, so that all the chicks can sit behind me, and then give me a place for some more PSA subs behind the MLP!

post #43616 of 52988 Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=lizrussspike;56500956]The riser was built by the builder of the house, not my handy work... I can only nail and screw stuff to the wall...and that too with some luck
pspoar, pias and ahblaza like this.

post #43617 of 52988 Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
imureh

yes man your room look nice,

I guess that it I get the 18''
for sure
Definitely, that is where you will up anyways so cheaper so get them first time.
ahblaza likes this.

post #43618 of 52988 Old 07-17-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Off topic but if y'all had to choose from the Sony x700 or x800 strictly for 4k movie disc viewing, which would you choose? Also heard about the Panasonic UB900, any thoughts?
post #43619 of 52988 Old 07-17-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
I just noticed the 'preorder' buttons are 'add to cart' buttons now on the PSA website, hopefully that means they'll be caught up soon
post #43620 of 52988 Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 5035
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
Off topic but if y'all had to choose from the Sony x700 or x800 strictly for 4k movie disc viewing, which would you choose? Also heard about the Panasonic UB900, any thoughts?
Unless your system is Dolby vision capable I would go with the x800. Built like a tank and no issues(with mine) so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page