Originally Posted by laserjock II
Any plans to use the USA made Fi line of HT drivers coming out?
I think my Triax has Fi ?
Scott's one of the good ones. I still remember him shipping me 24 drivers at a time back in 1999(?) when I was hand building every svs product by myself in my garage.
I've become jaded though. I suppose out of necessity. I remember being able to look at a new cool driver and only thinking of it's performance. That was it. Such a simple time..
Now, I look at a handful of T/S, I can pretty much do a sim in my head from that. Ok, looks promising. But NOW...now comes the important considerations.
* Where are they made(assembled)?
* What is the MOQ?
* What do I need to focus on in terms of potential longevity concerns?
* What's going on that could cause any assembly/QC tolerances to become a potential problem?
* What's the lead time for a PO?
* Where is *every single component* going to be sourced? It doesn't matter if 99% of it is USA sourced with a week lead time. If there's ONE component that comes from china with say 16 week lead time.....then we can have major, major logistic problems.
And speaking only in generalities how do we think we get these super duper drivers are cheap(relatively) pricing? The OEM shops everything around. 20 different factories in china can provide the cone+surround assembly? Ok, great. Who's the cheapest? Unfortunately THAT leads to a increased chance of missed shipments along with poor quality between batches.
Again, none of the above is specific to Scott/Fi...just thinking out loud(when I see any new driver).
* What's the OEM production capabilities? Cool, we introduce ONE new product with these super18 and we only need 25 a month. Yawn. But within a couple months we've come up with a new design that uses the same driver...and TWO of them. AND the original product is becoming much more popular too. Now, suddenly, we go from 25/month to 50/month then to 100/month all within a short period(industry speaking---say one year). Can the OEM scale up or will they begin missing lead times?
Anyway, I could keep going on and on but Mondays are always crazy in the office.
What Scott really needs to do is skip a step and go straight into completed system designs. Fi home audio speakers and subwoofers. He might even be able to bring cabinets in house if he wanted to invest 100k into that. The amplifiers could be somewhat of a headache. There's a lot of domino stuff going on behind the scenes right now. Every day I'm more thankful we have all amplifier design and assembly in house now
Maybe we could even be the amp OEM for scott? Stranger things have happened.
Power Sound Audio