Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1494 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64706Likes

post #44791 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
I guess I shouldn’t say it was non existent. I take that back. Just less potent than the first Jurassic world if going off memory. The Redbox is a lossless version.
I found the DTS:X track on the 4k Fallen Kingdom to be superior to the DTS:X track on 4k Jurassic World. Am running 25dB of low shelf at 20Hz for BEQ (optimum woukd be 18Hz)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44792 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeintel View Post
"Slaughtered Lamb" that brings back some fun memories... I remember being 13 and sneaking in to see that one at the 2 screen theater in upstate NY. The effects had me mesmerized....
This! I might have been the same age or just a tad younger, watched it on HBO while my parents were out to dinner. They got home and I had plans for a sleep over with a few friends up the block. The quickest way there was through our backyard to a large wooded area (Long Island) and catty-corner over to the meetup house's backyard. I grabbed my stuff, walked across the yard and up to the trail leading into the woods.....chickened out and went back out front and RAN up the street and around the corner.
ahblaza likes this.
post #44793 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Any plans to use the USA made Fi line of HT drivers coming out?
I think my Triax has Fi ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44794 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothoga View Post
This! I might have been the same age or just a tad younger, watched it on HBO while my parents were out to dinner. They got home and I had plans for a sleep over with a few friends up the block. The quickest way there was through our backyard to a large wooded area (Long Island) and catty-corner over to the meetup house's backyard. I grabbed my stuff, walked across the yard and up to the trail leading into the woods.....chickened out and went back out front and RAN up the street and around the corner.

I'm pretty sure we weren't the only ones who had second thoughts about walking through the woods after that flick 🤭

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
post #44795 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I believe the still in development supersub (powerful Neo driver with two passive radiators to deliver close to v3601 performance in a v1801 size) uses a Fi design - unsure if that will make it from prototype to production.

Edit: always good to have more US built drivers to compete with the Kentucky built Eminence that PSA uses.
post #44796 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
I believe the still in development supersub (powerful Neo driver with two passive radiators to deliver close to v3601 performance in a v1801 size) uses a Fi design - unsure if that will make it from prototype to production.

Edit: always good to have more US built drivers to compete with the Kentucky built Eminence that PSA uses.

Two of those bad boys on my front stage would be awesome. I love the size

post #44797 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I think I overcooked my house curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Sweep After.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	2459064  
darthray and ahblaza like this.

Processor: Anthem AVM-60 7.2.0
Amps: Rotel RB-1090, Rotel RMB-1095
Video: OPPO UDP-203, JVC DLA-RS2000, Silver Ticket 120" Screen
Speakers: 2-PSA MTM-210T L/R, PSA MTM-210C Center, 4-PSA MT110SR Surrounds
Subwoofers: 2-PSA S3611, MiniDSP 2x4HD
post #44798 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quick question for you guys about calibrating the sub using an SPL meter. The Onkyo doesn't really work well to calibrate the sub as it puts the sub trim at +3 really no matter where the sub gain dial is. It has no issue calibrating the speakers to 75db. I've discovered that "82" for the volume on the absolute scale is 0 db. I read that the sub channel should be 10db higher than the other speakers. So, when the volume is at 82, would the sub level also be at 75db to be considered reference, or should this be at 85db? Hope this question makes sense...thanks!
Joshua Chmiel likes this.

Speakers: Fronts- JBL 230, Center- JBL 235C, Surrounds: Fluance XLBP
Sub: PSA 15V
Processing: Onkyo 676
Video: BenQ 1080ST
post #44799 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Quoted: 5482 Post(s)
Liked: 10464
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Quick question for you guys about calibrating the sub using an SPL meter. The Onkyo doesn't really work well to calibrate the sub as it puts the sub trim at +3 really no matter where the sub gain dial is. It has no issue calibrating the speakers to 75db. I've discovered that "82" for the volume on the absolute scale is 0 db. I read that the sub channel should be 10db higher than the other speakers. So, when the volume is at 82, would the sub level also be at 75db to be considered reference, or should this be at 85db? Hope this question makes sense...thanks!

Hi,

All AVR's will do an internal recalculation to add 10db to the LFE channel, so that is not something that you have to do manually.

Regards,
Mike
darthray and ahblaza like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #44800 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce N View Post
I think I overcooked my house curve.
Yeah I would consider that "well done". Lol
ahblaza likes this.
post #44801 of 52333 Old 09-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
prototype PR (passive radiator) design with output capabilities of the V36

A pair of these would immediately be ordered to replace my 2 S3000i

post #44802 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post

Yes, I hope it happens here too

post #44803 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked: 10324
Quote:

Remember Mike Tyson?

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

Everyone wants the PR sub until they find out what it would cost..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 09-24-2018 at 07:14 AM.
post #44804 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkobangz View Post
Dual S1510 hooked up and ran through Audyssey XT32 and man, I am impressed. I came from a single Hsu VTF3 MK5 and then dual Rythmik F12SE. I like these best, and it's not even close. Thank you very much for all your time and help Tom, it's greatly appreciated.

BTW, the TV is NOT as high as it looks 🙂
Appreciate it Kirkobangz!

The S1510 is really a good value. 15 inch, 960 watts, Proprietary DSP frontend which shapes the entire operating signature, made in the USA, compact size(for a 15). I can go back and look at every one of the product designs I've ever been involved with and point out things I could have done better in hindsight. Not so much with the S1500/S1510.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #44805 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9291
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
Tom... explain

I don't believe the tuning point would be any lower. Basically you would have a V3611 performance wise in a much smaller enclosure and it would prolly cost another 8-1000.00 over what a V3611 retails for. Passive radiators cost substantially more then extra MDF to make the enclosure larger and use a slot port.
ahblaza likes this.
post #44806 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Scott's one of the good ones. I still remember him shipping me 24 drivers at a time back in 1999(?) when I was hand building every svs product by myself in my garage.

I've become jaded though. I suppose out of necessity. I remember being able to look at a new cool driver and only thinking of it's performance. That was it. Such a simple time..

Now, I look at a handful of T/S, I can pretty much do a sim in my head from that. Ok, looks promising. But NOW...now comes the important considerations.

* Where are they made(assembled)?
* What is the MOQ?
* What do I need to focus on in terms of potential longevity concerns?
* What's going on that could cause any assembly/QC tolerances to become a potential problem?
* What's the lead time for a PO?
* Where is *every single component* going to be sourced? It doesn't matter if 99% of it is USA sourced with a week lead time. If there's ONE component that comes from china with say 16 week lead time.....then we can have major, major logistic problems.

And speaking only in generalities how do we think we get these super duper drivers are cheap(relatively) pricing? The OEM shops everything around. 20 different factories in china can provide the cone+surround assembly? Ok, great. Who's the cheapest? Unfortunately THAT leads to a increased chance of missed shipments along with poor quality between batches.

Again, none of the above is specific to Scott/Fi...just thinking out loud(when I see any new driver).

* What's the OEM production capabilities? Cool, we introduce ONE new product with these super18 and we only need 25 a month. Yawn. But within a couple months we've come up with a new design that uses the same driver...and TWO of them. AND the original product is becoming much more popular too. Now, suddenly, we go from 25/month to 50/month then to 100/month all within a short period(industry speaking---say one year). Can the OEM scale up or will they begin missing lead times?

Anyway, I could keep going on and on but Mondays are always crazy in the office.

What Scott really needs to do is skip a step and go straight into completed system designs. Fi home audio speakers and subwoofers. He might even be able to bring cabinets in house if he wanted to invest 100k into that. The amplifiers could be somewhat of a headache. There's a lot of domino stuff going on behind the scenes right now. Every day I'm more thankful we have all amplifier design and assembly in house now Maybe we could even be the amp OEM for scott? Stranger things have happened.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #44807 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Remember Mike Tyson?

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

Everyone wants the PR sub until they find out what it would cost..

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

No, we (I) still would want it. I guess in my head I’m thinking about the “signature “ psa ported sub with a higher price tag, but badass driver and lower tuning with the PR design. Smaller and easier to manage in living rooms that the v3601 and downright mean subterranean bass

Last edited by David Charles; 09-24-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #44808 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeintel View Post
I'm pretty sure we weren't the only ones who had second thoughts about walking through the woods after that flick 🤭

The most polarizing movie about the woods has the be Blair Witch. Have you ever BEEN lost in the woods? Walking around for hours with no idea where you are? Hopelessly watching as dusk approaches. Seeing glimpses of dark shapes lurking in the distance? Yeah? Then Blair Witch can put a chill in your spine that's hard to explain.

No, never been lost in the woods? Go back to sipping your fruity drink at the country club...and stay out of the woods...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Alan P, ahblaza, iceatola and 1 others like this.

post #44809 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Quote:
The most polarizing movie about the woods has the be Blair Witch. Have you ever BEEN lost in the woods? Walking around for hours with no idea where you are? Hopelessly watching as dusk approaches. Seeing glimpses of dark shapes lurking in the distance? Yeah? Then Blair Witch can put a chill in your spine that's hard to explain.

No, never been lost in the woods? Go back to sipping your fruity drink at the country club...and stay out of the woods...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Lost in the woods in Ohio? Yes I have. My only concern was getting my eyes poked out by branches while walking in the dark. A small fire and tree to lean on were all I needed.

Lost in the mountains of California? Yes. My concerns were numerous and most centered around mountain lions, bears, freezing to death, and dehydration. Each of those concerns flip-flopped their order of priority depending on where my mind was at the time.

I worry about bad people very little in the mountains. "That's not a knife... That's a knife" with a thick Australian accent plays in my head. It's the animals that eat other big animals that worry me.

I was a young teen when I watched "Humongous". Corn fields still terrify me in the dark.

edit: Just to clarify, I've never been "lost". There's been times I had no idea where I was for hours or how to get home, but never lost.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...

Last edited by climber07; 09-24-2018 at 08:12 AM.
post #44810 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, we (I) still would want it. I guess in my head I’m thinking about the “signature “ psa ported sub with a higher price tag, but badass driver and lower tuning with the PR design. Smaller and easier to manage in living rooms that the v3601 and downright mean subterranean bass

Well, we got one..

49 more to go.

Be fun to try a kick starter for something like this. There was apretty big audio company that did a kick starter or something similar for a new subwoofer a few years ago. Here it is.

https://www.ecoustics.com/news/artis...r-kickstarter/

For us, the amp is easy now. The cabinets...meh...as long as we had a a fair number pre ordered that's not a big deal. The driver and PRs are the big tickets costs. Then once the cabinet is done we can also consider a low power version of course.

One thing I've gone back and forth with on this is the grills. None? one(active woofer)? three?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
jamiebosco and ahblaza like this.

post #44811 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Heard lots about the movie yet still haven't given it a go. Will have to hit the library for that one. Gotta love being genuinely spooked

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
post #44812 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Remember Mike Tyson?

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face

Sure. But then he got in the ring and gave them a chance.

As you said, you already have one. Make another one, and I will drive the 12 hour round-trip to pick them up to save you from having to find a way to box and ship them. I also do not need grills.

I’ve got the laptop, umik, dual core, dennon XT32 etc.

Surely the mad scientist and you would be at least a little interested to see what they could do in my 20 foot high cathedral ceiling open floor plan house.

zeuspaul and ahblaza like this.
post #44813 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, we got one..

49 more to go.

Be fun to try a kick starter for something like this. There was apretty big audio company that did a kick starter or something similar for a new subwoofer a few years ago. Here it is.

https://www.ecoustics.com/news/artis...r-kickstarter/

For us, the amp is easy now. The cabinets...meh...as long as we had a a fair number pre ordered that's not a big deal. The driver and PRs are the big tickets costs. Then once the cabinet is done we can also consider a low power version of course.

One thing I've gone back and forth with on this is the grills. None? one(active woofer)? three?

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Ask and ye shall receive

jamiebosco likes this.
post #44814 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive

Also, I have no idea how to tune a passive radiator sub but is it possible to put only 1 radiator on the bottom while the active driver is firing forward? I’m just thinking that would only require one grill.

Just out of a general question, does two radiators allow this speaker to be tuned lower?

post #44815 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure. But then he got in the ring and gave them a chance.

As you said, you already have one. Make another one, and I will drive the 12 hour round-trip to pick them up to save you from having to find a way to box and ship them. I also do not need grills.

I’ve got the laptop, umik, dual core, dennon XT32 etc.

Surely the mad scientist and you would be at least a little interested to see what they could do in my 20 foot high cathedral ceiling open floor plan house.

The one in my office? That's nothing I would need feedback on. It's not brand quality. Appreciate the offer of course.

Tom V
Power Sound Audio

post #44816 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also, I have no idea how to tune a passive radiator sub but is it possible to put only 1 radiator on the bottom while the active driver is firing forward? I’m just thinking that would only require one grill.

Just out of a general question, does two radiators allow this speaker to be tuned lower?

A pr is tuned by mass(weight). I've seen them DF...I think that goes all the way back to the old velodyne 15-12 and 12-10 series? Or did those have the active DF? The problem with a heavy/mass PR is there's no electrical restoring force. So, over time, you can get into significant offset as the weight causes the cone to pull down. So instead of having say 30mm each way of linear xsus you might end up with 25 wach way, then 20 each way. If the system have been optimized for its very limits in that regard you're going to run into serious longevity problems along with audible distortions as well.

Two other nice to knows about PRs. The basic rule of thumb is to have 2x the air displacement over the active driver. There's ways around that but you still want a minimum of 40-45% more displacement IME. But even this, like just about everything in design is dependent on other considerations. Second, high mass PRs need to have their force cancelled by a second opposing (identical) PR. Well, I guess "need" is open to debate.

I built a few sonotubes with the PR up-firing back in like 97-98. remembering measuring the change in FR and THD as the PRs began to "sag", But I haven't seen those notebooks in a long time and I lost interest in all of that pretty quick anyway.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #44817 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, that would suck to have a speaker that decreases in Awesomeness over time! Perhaps just a big massive 18 or 21 inch driver with a huge surface area port. Regardless of box size, this is a speaker for bass heads that want to shred drywall, organs or simply impress themselves each time they play a movie. For those that want to stay with the Low/mid bass approach, there’s a whole other lineup of PSA subs for that.

I just have a hunch that the speaker would sell more than is predicted, Especially if it’s not quite as tall as a v3601.

post #44818 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 1159
If we're playing the wishing game, I wish PSA would make a V1811 except maybe 4-6 inches taller, with a tune somewhere in the 12hz range. Is that even possible? Hell if I know, but I'd trade up to a pair
David Charles likes this.
post #44819 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Or an S6000

post #44820 of 52333 Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
If we're playing the wishing game, I wish PSA would make a V1811 except maybe 4-6 inches taller, with a tune somewhere in the 12hz range. Is that even possible? Hell if I know, but I'd trade up to a pair

That would be amazing as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page