Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1496 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63365Likes

post #44851 of 51872 Old 09-26-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Here's a newer made in USA, ICE powered(its one of the 700 series modules), PR sub..

All sorts of fun things going on here. I'd love to measure one. I'm sure it sounds very good as Legacy is known for their engineering chops.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...woofer-review/

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

That is sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44852 of 51872 Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
That is sharp.

David just get a 7201, lay it on it's side behind your MLP and let it handle all the sub 15Hz bass down to single digits with authority, maybe it was my room 2700^3 but the 7201 excelled at gut wrenching SUBterranean bass.
What is driving you to achieve this type of bass in your place, do you fell lacking now with what you have, maybe I missed the reason why you feel the need..............

Here's the 7201 at 110dB at 6 Hz in my place at -9dB MV......clean with more to spare......lots of cabin gain helps.......Just plopped in the left corner, no EQ, sweeps taken at MLP 15' away, stopped at -9dB because mic was starting to clip.......you might want two though.....

Last edited by ahblaza; 10-01-2018 at 06:58 PM.
post #44853 of 51872 Old 09-27-2018, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
.... or as some of us have said, trade the V subs in for a pair of S3611's, or 2-3 x S3010's - IMHO this beast seems to get overlooked a bit nowadays for the 18" models

@David Charles - Come to the Sealed side! It is your destiny! 😂
MentatYP, vardo, ahblaza and 5 others like this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives

Last edited by jamiebosco; 09-27-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44854 of 51872 Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
.... or as some of us have said, trade the V subs in for a pair of S3611's, or 2-3 x S3010's - IMHO this beast seems to get overlooked a bit nowadays for the 18" models

I agree he should try the S36s or S30s, they would be almost invisible in his place plus provide the deep bass he's craving and these subs will take his music listening to new levels........................
vardo likes this.
post #44855 of 51872 Old 09-27-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 3007 Post(s)
Liked: 10140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post

Just a heads up for anyone considering the dual opposed 15 or 18 inch designs---we have a number of each(S3000i and S3601) in the outlet. And we're getting into fall now so we need space... Pop into chat/email me for best pricing.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #44856 of 51872 Old 09-27-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

I got my subs to give some great chest thump with the song “Mr. Carter” by Lil Wayne. -5mv and subs at 1:00 and -10 trim. Was sounding and feeling like concert thump.

Not a huge rap fan but I came across it on tidal.
Dave

Edit: wow, the song 6 ft 7 foot by lil Wayne started off chill and when the bass hit on my subs, my teeth were literally chattering. I wonder if the sealed subs would sound as good as that... the bass must be around 35 hz. Someone play it and let me know (none of that YouTube streaming crap)

Dave

Last edited by David Charles; 09-27-2018 at 04:15 PM.
post #44857 of 51872 Old 09-27-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
I got my subs to give some great chest thump with the song “Mr. Carter” by Lil Wayne. -5mv and subs at 1:00 and -10 trim. Was sounding and feeling like concert thump.

Not a huge rap fan but I came across it on tidal.
Dave

Edit: wow, the song 6 ft 7 foot by lil Wayne started off chill and when the bass hit on my subs, my teeth were literally chattering. I wonder if the sealed subs would sound as good as that... the bass must be around 35 hz. Someone play it and let me know (none of that YouTube streaming crap)

Dave

I would have to think in the 30hz to 100hz range that dual S3611's would sound pretty similar (excellent) and have at least as much output as a V1801and V3601
ahblaza and Haiej like this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #44858 of 51872 Old 09-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Here is an odd question-

I have an unusual floor plan.

My tv is in an area with a 20 foot tall peaked ceiling. I am using 2 S3000i currently.

Due to the room layout, they are basically end tables- one on the right of the couch and one on the left of the loveseat.

I don’t have any other spots for them in this area- but I do have a small loft overlooking above.

What would happen if I bought a 3rd S3000 and stuck it up on the loft?

I’d have to use a wireless transmitter, and I guess a Y splitter off the receiver to feed it.

post #44859 of 51872 Old 09-28-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post
Here is an odd question-

My tv is in an area with a 20 foot tall peaked ceiling. I am using 2 S3000i currently.

Due to the room layout, they are basically end tables- one on the right of the couch and one on the left of the loveseat.

I don’t have any other spots for them in this area- but I do have a small loft overlooking above.

I’d have to use a wireless transmitter, and I guess a Y splitter off the receiver to feed it.

Placing subs in "available" spots is rarely the best location. My recommendation would be this:

1. Place one sub on your MLP (where you sit) and walk around to the other locations where you have "available" spots. Disconnect the second sub for this. If the sound there is good, then place one sub there.

2. Place the second sub on the couch and walk around to the other locations. For this step, have both subs on. If you get to a spot that doesn't sound as good, then that may be a good spot for the second sub for smoothing.
Haiej likes this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #44860 of 51872 Old 09-28-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Thanks for the response, but that is not what I asked.

I am aware of sub crawl, set up, etc. – but available spots is available spots.

I literally have nowhere else I can put them so they are certainly still better than no subs at all. Again odd room not square and really no walls

post #44861 of 51872 Old 09-28-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2268 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Here is an odd question-

Putting additional sub in loft above is just a waste of subwoofer in my opinion. I mean the sub will be so far away and you probably wouldn't feel the difference when you already have 2 nearfield. It would be best to put that sub on the same floor level as your current subs and maybe on tv wall or something. Again, my opinion. If you want more bass that your current subs are not giving you, you may want to use REW to find better spots. If you are not willing to use REW and want more tactile feel then you need more powerful subs if they are currently maxed out.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #44862 of 51872 Old 09-28-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I literally have nowhere else I can put them so they are certainly still better than no subs at all. Again odd room not square and really no walls

absolutely as close as you can to your main listening position

post #44863 of 51872 Old 09-28-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 2522
Quote:
Here is an odd question-

Put one of your subs up there and try it with just that sub running and hear what it sounds like. Even though it will be quite a lot farther from the LP it might make a nice presence, bass voice of god like.

Then turn the other one on and give it a listen, you might be able to tell how it would work with 3 subs.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #44864 of 51872 Old 09-28-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That is exactly what you asked for. I'm not suggesting new locations, I simply stated that you should put the sub at the MLP and walk to the "available" spots in question to see how it sounds. Putting a sub on your couch (MLP) and walking up to the loft will tell you what the sub will sound like from the loft at the MLP. Doing this in conjunction with the other subwoofer turned on will tell you if you are creating a massive null at the MLP as well. The only other way to know how the sub will sound upstairs is to get a wireless adapter and put one there. No one can really tell you if it will sound good or not. Actual listening is just about the only way to go.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #44865 of 51872 Old 09-29-2018, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Quote:

That is exactly what you asked for. I'm not suggesting new locations, I simply stated that you should put the sub at the MLP and walk to the "available" spots in question to see how it sounds. Putting a sub on your couch (MLP) and walking up to the loft will tell you what the sub will sound like from the loft at the MLP. Doing this in conjunction with the other subwoofer turned on will tell you if you are creating a massive null at the MLP as well. The only other way to know how the sub will sound upstairs is to get a wireless adapter and put one there. No one can really tell you if it will sound good or not. Actual listening is just about the only way to go.
I agree with this. As crazy as it sounds, when I put a sub in each front corner or in the back of my living room I get a huge 7 ft deep null zone through the middle of the room. When I put a sub in the middle of the back of the room and have the two in the front corners the null zone vanishes. One of my Subs I can even change the direction it faces and get a 10 decibel decrease from the right side of the MLP to the left side of the MLP. I never knew how much affect a room has on bass prior to starting down this finally enjoyable rabbit hole. lol
Haiej and iceatola like this.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6300H, 7.3.4 Atmos: Subs: PSA 1 S7201, 2 V3611, Fronts: SVS Ultra Towers, Center: SVS Ultra Center, Surrounds: 4 SVS Ultra Bookshelves, Ceilings: 4 JBL 81C
TV: LeEco uMax85, Disc Player: Sony UBP-X700
HTC: Water Cooled, MB: Z170 Gaming G1, CPU: 6700K @ 4.5GHz, RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600, SSD: 1TB 960 EVO, 1TB M8Pe(G), HDD: 2x 12 TB, PSU: SuperNOVA 1000, GPU: 2080ti, Case: 909
post #44866 of 51872 Old 09-29-2018, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Troyce View Post
I agree with this. As crazy as it sounds, when I put a sub in each front corner or in the back of my living room I get a huge 7 ft deep null zone through the middle of the room. When I put a sub in the middle of the back of the room and have the two in the front corners the null zone vanishes. One of my Subs I can even change the direction it faces and get a 10 decibel decrease from the right side of the MLP to the left side of the MLP. I never knew how much affect a room has on bass prior to starting down this finally enjoyable rabbit hole. lol

And not to irritate you more, but if you don’t sit within a foot of that location every time you watch a movie, you can forget about the frequency response with your measuring

edit: I do all my serious movie watching myself anyways because I like to listen to volumes of near reference so I can claim whatever I want to sit :-)

Haiej likes this.
post #44867 of 51872 Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 9176
Quote:

One potential issue I see is the loft sub will run out of headroom long before your 2 near field subs. Your 2 nearfield 3000i are producing another +6db of headroom compared to a single, then factor distance losses and you might end up limiting your current pair 6-9db at the MLP if all subs are LEVEL matched. Now you could GAIN match them all but chances are you wont even know the loft subs is on at the MLP... but it could help fill in the bass across other parts of the room. So I guess it all depends on the goals.
ahblaza likes this.
post #44868 of 51872 Old 09-29-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 338 Post(s)
Quoted: 5450 Post(s)
Liked: 10345
I respect all of the different viewpoints that have been offered on the loft subwoofer, but I think it is too speculative right now to know much. I think that the OP is just going to have to test using a loft sub to determine how much it helps. My own recommendation would be to test one of his existing subs up there before ordering a third one.

I'm guessing that the loft sub may be within about 12' or so of the MLP, and the other two subs are probably between 6' and 8' distant from the MLP. SPL drops by ~3db with each doubling of distance, so I would expect the loft sub to lose a little in that respect, compared to the other two subs. But, based on the OP's description of how his current subs are deployed, they are getting very little boundary gain, and the loft sub may get a good bit more reinforcement from multiple surfaces. So, that could all end-up being a wash with respect to SPL.

I honestly don't know whether this will be a fruitful exercise or not. I agree with Basshead that it depends somewhat on the OP's goals. At a minimum, he may get a better frequency response, which will generate more SPL at some frequencies. I think that he will just have to try it to find out, and I'm sort of interested to learn what he discovers if he does.

Regards,
Mike
ahblaza likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #44869 of 51872 Old 09-29-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quick question.

For those with ported subs who turn them on their side, where do you have the port, outside (closest to side wall) or inside (closest to tv)??
post #44870 of 51872 Old 09-29-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
Quick question.

For those with ported subs who turn them on their side, where do you have the port, outside (closest to side wall) or inside (closest to tv)??
Given the wavelengths involved it shouldn't make any practical difference. I would just go with what look sbest/ease of convenience for hookup.

Also, for anyone considering one of our sealed models, now's the time if you're looking for b-stock deals. We need to get these to a good home before the fall rush. We have two like new V1510 as well(and three 110s.)

You know the drill people ******** and elbows! Nah, just a tribute to Sarge Apone(rip).

The real drill is pop into chat/email. Don't be the guy emailing in me NEXT week and lamenting about being one day late on the deal..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza, Todd G. and GeoJustGeo like this.

post #44871 of 51872 Old 09-29-2018, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Troyce View Post
Yeah, it can be a PITA. I swear, the best overall response I get is in the kitchen pantry or a bathroom on the other side of the house.

A bigass nearfield sub is a good way to brute force good results. The V1500's I have on the front wall are pretty much just for decoration.

Denon AVR-X3300W | Samsung UN65KS8000 | i7 6700K / GTX 1080 Ti HTPC
Front L/R: Klipsch RF-7 II | Center: Klipsch RP-250C | Surrounds: Klipsch RP-280F
Subwoofers: PSA V3601 | (2) PSA V1500 | Velodyne CT-120
post #44872 of 51872 Old 09-30-2018, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
PSA's upgrade policy

Just wondering if PSA has a stated upgrade policy? I thought I read one, but am currently unable to locate.

Can someone point me in the right direction, should an upgrade policy exist?

Thanks much!!!
post #44873 of 51872 Old 09-30-2018, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocologne View Post
Just wondering if PSA has a stated upgrade policy? I thought I read one, but am currently unable to locate.

Thanks much!!!
I would call Tom or Jim. You can also jump in a chart with Tom. He'll answer all your questions.

post #44874 of 51872 Old 10-01-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I would call Tom or Jim. You can also jump in a chart with Tom. He'll answer all your questions.
Thanks, will do.
post #44875 of 51872 Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocologne View Post

Thanks much!!!
I handle all the trade in options on a case by case basis. Best to email or pop into chat for any questions.

Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Mike Butny likes this.

post #44876 of 51872 Old 10-01-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I handle all the trade in options on a case by case basis. Best to email or pop into chat for any questions.
OK, great. Thanks.
post #44877 of 51872 Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
A bigass nearfield sub is a good way to brute force good results. The V1500's I have on the front wall are pretty much just for decoration.
I have a V1811 right behind each seat, and there's no shortage of bass, but I have been wondering if putting a smaller sub or two up front would help reduce the localizability of the big'uns. Have you found any such benefit to the 'decorative' front subs?
post #44878 of 51872 Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
I have a V1811 right behind each seat, and there's no shortage of bass, but I have been wondering if putting a smaller sub or two up front would help reduce the localizability of the big'uns. Have you found any such benefit to the 'decorative' front subs?
Absolutely. I was half joking about the decorative thing but they do add a noticeable amount of SPL and help make it seem like bass is just coming from everywhere.
ratbuddy and Rolls Troyce like this.

Denon AVR-X3300W | Samsung UN65KS8000 | i7 6700K / GTX 1080 Ti HTPC
Front L/R: Klipsch RF-7 II | Center: Klipsch RP-250C | Surrounds: Klipsch RP-280F
Subwoofers: PSA V3601 | (2) PSA V1500 | Velodyne CT-120
post #44879 of 51872 Old 10-01-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
Absolutely. I was half joking about the decorative thing but they do add a noticeable amount of SPL and help make it seem like bass is just coming from everywhere.
Darn, I was afraid of that. I might need to order an unsprayed V1510DF and have a local place do a walnut veneer.
post #44880 of 51872 Old 10-01-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
Darn, I was afraid of that. I might need to order an unsprayed V1510DF and have a local place do a walnut veneer.
I'm not sure if you're kidding or not but we actually do offer all products with "unfinished" cabinets now. There's a price reduction as well.

Here's a picture of the S1811 in my office for some experiments.

Of course you don't want to leave MDF unfinished. But just giving an idea of a lighter finish with the big 18..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9_6.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	2462622  
Pradeep2 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page