Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1525 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65759Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #45721 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
You shouldn't be able to bottom these subs out...you are probably clipping the signal from incorrect settings causing the subs to sound bad. dual 15v in a 1400^3 room should be pretty potent...at least reference level capable down to 16hz if setup correctly. I have 3 in a 2400^3 room and I can play the Pulse server scene at MV-0 running +6db hot and they don't even exhibit any port noise let alone bad sounds.


I agree. My settings, which I just posted, seems very modest to me.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #45722 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,334
Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 10684
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Dynamic EQ enabled on a Denon X4400h, reference curve, EQ defeated past 400hz using the Audyssey app.

Sub woofer volume adjustment at +2.5dB. 0.0dB channel level trim. Subwoofer gain on the back of the subs is around the 9:30 position.

It doesn’t seem to me that this should be too hot to play clean up to and beyond reference level in my space...

You didn't say what your master volume is, and that matters. Nevertheless, I agree that your subs should not be bottoming-out at 25Hz with the modest subwoofer boost you are using, if your subwoofers are well-positioned to start with. So, the first thing to ask is whether you did a sub-crawl for the first sub, and then sort of repeated the process with both subs playing, for the second subwoofer?

The other factor that might have an immediate effect, is to decrease your AVR trim setting to about -5 or -6, and raise the gains on your subwoofers to compensate. You might end-up at 12:00 or higher, and that's a good thing, because you want the voltage coming from your subwoofer amps rather than from the AVR. To make sure that happens, you need to keep the AVR trims well in the negative numbers, and use your subwoofer gains to add sub boosts. Just doing that may immediately fix the issue you had with Inception. (And, with Deepwater Horizon.)

Regards,
Mike
Haiej likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #45723 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
You didn't say what your master volume is, and that matters. Nevertheless, I agree that your subs should not be bottoming-out at 25Hz with the modest subwoofer boost you are using, if your subwoofers are well-positioned to start with. So, the first thing to ask is whether you did a sub-crawl for the first sub, and then sort of repeated the process with both subs playing, for the second subwoofer?

The other factor that might have an immediate effect, is to decrease your AVR trim setting to about -5 or -6, and raise the gains on your subwoofers to compensate. You might end-up at 12:00 or higher, and that's a good thing, because you want the voltage coming from your subwoofer amps rather than from the AVR. To make sure that happens, you need to keep the AVR trims well in the negative numbers, and use your subwoofer gains to add sub boosts. Just doing that may immediately fix the issue you had with Inception. (And, with Deepwater Horizon.)

Regards,
Mike


MV at -10dB when I start to really notice the issue.

I checked the Audyssey app and room correction set the subs to -7dB and -10dB.

That certainly all seems within what one might consider nominal...
iceatola likes this.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #45724 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
MV at -10dB when I start to really notice the issue.

I checked the Audyssey app and room correction set the subs to -7dB and -10dB.

That certainly all seems within what one might consider nominal...
I don't use Audyssey so forgive the question...
All those numbers are in the negative range, shouldn't at least one of them be at 0.0?

Yamaha RX-A2060 | Outlaw M-2200 (x5) | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST : CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | Amber In-ceiling | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP DDRC-88BM | Belkin PureAV (x2)
ceh383 is offline  
post #45725 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
I don't use Audyssey so forgive the question...
All those numbers are in the negative range, shouldn't at least one of them be at 0.0?

Not necessarily. My understanding is that when Audyssey sends sweeps to each speaker during room correction, it sets output levels to what it needs to for each speaker to hit 75dB (or 85dB, I can’t remember).

More efficient speakers need fewer watts to hit that level, while less efficient speakers need more. So nothing necessarily needs to be set to 0dB output level if the speakers don’t need that many watts to hit 75dB at the microphone position. Hope that makes sense.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
post #45726 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Dynamic EQ enabled on a Denon X4400h, reference curve, EQ defeated past 400hz using the Audyssey app.

Sub woofer volume adjustment at +2.5dB. 0.0dB channel level trim. Subwoofer gain on the back of the subs is around the 9:30 position.

It doesn’t seem to me that this should be too hot to play clean up to and beyond reference level in my space...
The Subwoofer adjustment on the Denon receiver is often misunderstood. A setting of +2.5 is an absolute value, not a relative one.

For example, if Audyssey set your subwoofer level to -7 db and you use the subwoofer level adjustment to set it to +2.5, the result is not what you might expect of -3.5 db. Instead, the -7 db level is overridden to +2.5. This results in running the level 9.5 db hot, not 2.5 db hot.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is offline  
post #45727 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks0 View Post
The Subwoofer adjustment on the Denon receiver is often misunderstood. A setting of +2.5 is an absolute value, not a relative one.



For example, if Audyssey set your subwoofer level to -7 db and you use the subwoofer level adjustment to set it to +2.5, the result is not what you might expect of -3.5 db. Instead, the -7 db level is overridden to +2.5. This results in running the level 9.5 db hot, not 2.5 db hot.


Oh well that might be what’s doing it! That IS very confusing. I’ll try adjusting channel level trim and turning off Subwoofer Adjustment.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
post #45728 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Oh well that might be what’s doing it! That IS very confusing. I’ll try adjusting channel level trim and turning off Subwoofer Adjustment.
I adjust my subwoofer gain on the subs so that my trims in the Denon are at -8. I then set the subwoofer level adjustment to -5 so that I can turn it off and on when I want just a little extra sub output.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is offline  
post #45729 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,329
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 9501
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Oh well that might be what’s doing it! That IS very confusing. I’ll try adjusting channel level trim and turning off Subwoofer Adjustment.
If you are going to run the subs +9db hot then turn off Dynamic EQ or use a RLO of -10 or -15. As I suspected your subs are being over driven down low due to how Dynamic EQ is applying its boost on top of your settings. It might not sound bad this way until you run into a movie scene that has some really low stuff, and now your subs are being called upon to play 120db @ 20hz A MV -10. You don't have enough woofage for that.


Here is an example of how dynamic eq works for the subs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31c7c3c9_30428d1300752457-consensus-bfd-audyssey-house-curve-dynamic-eq-graphs.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	2477680   Click image for larger version

Name:	bf4a79f0_dynamiceq.png
Views:	36
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	2477682  
Mike Butny and bear123 like this.

Last edited by basshead81; 11-03-2018 at 04:56 PM.
basshead81 is offline  
post #45730 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,334
Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 10684
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
If you are going to run the subs +9db hot then turn off Dynamic EQ or use a RLO of -10 or -15. As I suspected your subs are being over driven down low due to how Dynamic EQ is applying its boost on top of your settings. It might not sound bad this way until you run into a movie scene that has some really low stuff, and now your subs are being called upon to play 120db @ 20hz A MV -10. You don't have enough woofage for that.

Here is an example of how dynamic eq works for the subs.

I don't know, Bass, sometimes I think that DEQ is a little bit misunderstood. I agree that the OP was probably using more subwoofer boost than he thought he was. But, the real problem, in my opinion, was that his trim levels were in positive numbers (due to the action of Denon's Subwoofer Level Adjustment) while his gain settings were only at 9:30. That was costing him a lot of headroom. I'm not sure how much. I suspect that in a 1400^3 room, he might have been okay, if his gain/trim applications were more in line with the suggestion I made. As you know, he really needs to keep those trim levels in negative numbers and the gain levels higher.

At -10 MV, DEQ only adds 4.4db of boost, but it adds some bass boost (2.2db) to all of the channels, and not just to the subwoofers. And, some people like the overall effect. My suggestion would be just to back-off the master volume, or the trim levels on the subs a touch, when necessary, if he wants to run them that hot. And, he should keep the gain levels on the subs high so that he will have access to the subs' full available headroom.

If he sets an RLO of -10, at a master volume of -10, DEQ will not operate at all, because it will recognize his MV as Reference. That's the way that DEQ works. An RLO of -15, at an MV of -10, would actually operate in reverse and subtract bass from all of his channels, because it would be registering an MV of +5. I don't personally like to use DEQ at all, because I don't particularly like what it does to the SQ in my system. But for people who do like it, I think that its actual use is generally pretty benign. At -10 MV, it's really not doing a lot, but some people still miss it when they turn it off. It's one of those YMMV things that people just need to experiment with.

Regards,
Mike


Edit: I decided that it might be helpful, for people who may be reading along, to link a thorough explanation of exactly how DEQ works, and how the RLO settings affect its operation.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...erences.html#V
ahblaza and Madmax67 like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 11-03-2018 at 05:58 PM.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #45731 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,329
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 9501
While I agree its normally best to keep the trim levels negative for high playback levels, I don't believe the trim numbers being positive is hurting anything at MV-10. If he was up around -5 I could see that clipping the signal. Again I believe the issue is he is running +9db hot which puts the subs almost reference level(115db) at MV-10, then Dynamic EQ is adding about +3db more boost at 20hz, then there could be a little more being sprinkled on top from bass redirection. So on some demanding action scenes he could be pushing the limits of those subs. Factoring room gain, I think 117-120db is around the 15v's limits in the 20-25hz range in that size of room.
jamiebosco, ahblaza and bear123 like this.

Last edited by basshead81; 11-03-2018 at 07:00 PM.
basshead81 is offline  
post #45732 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Try disabling Audyssey too - I ran it through the app as well, and ended up turning it off entirely when I realized it was killing my low bass.
ratbuddy is offline  
post #45733 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 08:23 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,334
Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 10684
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
While I agree its normally best to keep the trim levels negative for high playback levels, I don't believe the trim numbers being positive is hurting anything at MV-10. If he was up around -5 I could see that clipping the signal. Again I believe the issue is he is running +9db hot which puts the subs almost reference level(115db) at MV-10, then Dynamic EQ is adding about +3db more boost at 20hz, then there could be a little more being sprinkled on top from bass redirection. So on some demanding action scenes he could be pushing the limits of those subs. Factoring room gain, I think 117-120db is around the 15v's limits in the 20-25hz range in that size of room.

And, I agree with you, but I think it's a tomato/tomahto question. It's the combination of master volume and subwoofer boost that determines the demand on a subwoofer. It's the master volume at -10, plus a big subwoofer boost that's pushing his subs. If the gain is at 9:30, and the sub trim is boosted a bunch and is into positive numbers, then the subwoofer is going to run out of gas faster--period. Is it going to be down 3db in headroom, or 5db, or more? I'm not sure. I remember that you discovered a 3db difference with your subs, when your trim levels were lower, and your gain levels higher, than his are now.

So, he needs to start with good gain/trim adjustments for openers. Then, depending on how that works, he can move on to experimenting with DEQ off, or with RLO settings, or whatever. But, it's always a good idea to start with the basics: high gain and low trim, whether we use DEQ on or off, or whether we use Audyssey on or off, for that matter.

Regards,
Mike
Haiej likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #45734 of 52701 Old 11-03-2018, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,329
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 9501
And there lies the problem.... ICE amps don't take much gain with Denon/Marantz pre amps. My amp gains are 9:00 and my Sub trim is -9/-6. If I try and calibrate with the gain above 9:00, then I am out of range. So I cheated and bumped the amp gains up 1 detent(+3d) post Audyssey and bumped my trims +3db. I have had my setup since playing up over MV +5 with no issue.

That being said, He shouldn't need to run the subs that hot with Dynamic Eq on in that small room anyway. I wonder if the subs are working against each other causing some cancellations?

I agree, it would be best to start fresh...set amp gains so Audy comes in around -10, then bump the sub trim up to -5 or so and try lowering Dynamic EQ RLO to -10.
Madmax67 likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #45735 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 2,158
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2499
Just got done watching a double feature with my oldest son. We watched War of the Worlds and Dunkirk.


War of The World: I have seen it many years ago on DVD but my son never saw it. I just bought the Bluray version a few weeks ago so it was time to give it a spin. I had the MV at -12dB and the subs running 8dB hot and Audy was set at Flat and Dynamic EQ off. The picture looked dated and I'm sure that also had something to do with the creative process. The sound mix was very good up-mixed to Atmos with sounds coming from everywhere and the bass was very clean, deep, and hard hitting. I have 4 subs sporting 6 18inch woofers in 2300cu-ish sealed room and the subs just sailed right through the movie.


Dunkirk: I saw Dunkirk at an IMAX and enjoyed the movie and was eager to watch it again at home. The MV was at -14dB and the subs were running 8dB hot and Audy was set to Reference and Dynamic EQ was off. On Buray the picture is stunning and I love when the aspect ratio changes from 2.20:1 to 1.78:1. The audio has clipping and is loud so I backed off the MV from -12dB to -14bB and set Audy to Reference to tame the brightness of the audio track. There is bass throughout the entire movie and it's loud. I know War of The Worlds bass was deeper and cleaner but I was more impressed by Dunkirk as my couch was vibrating throughout the entire movie. I was experiencing vibrations throughout my entire body especially on my back. Throughout both movies, I kept thinking about the topic of being on a concrete floor compared to a suspended floor. I'm on concrete and during both of these movies I had no problem with tactile feel and the couch was vibrating a ton. I do have the couch sitting on 3/4 inch plywood birch and the plywood is isolated from the floor by furniture grippers. When Dunkirk ended I ask my son which movie did you feel the bass/couch shake more and he said definitely Dunkirk.

I will also say that when it comes to picture and sound quality nothing beats physical media and it's higher data rates.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 11-04-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Mike Butny is online now  
post #45736 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
David Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Just got done watching a double feature with my oldest son. We watched War of the Worlds and Dunkirk.





War of The World: I have seen it many years ago on DVD but my son never saw it. I just bought the Bluray version a few weeks ago so it was time to give it a spin. I had the MV at -12dB and the subs running 8dB hot and Audy was set at Flat and Dynamic EQ off. The picture looked dated and I'm sure that also had something to do with the creative process. The sound mix was very good up-mixed to Atmos with sounds coming from everywhere and the bass was very clean, deep, and hard hitting. I have 4 subs sporting 6 18inch woofers in 2300cu-ish sealed room and the subs just sailed right through the movie.





Dunkirk: I saw Dunkirk at an IMAX and enjoyed the movie and was eager to watch it again at home. The MV was at -14dB and the subs were running 8dB hot and Audy was set to Reference and Dynamic EQ was off. On Buray the picture is stunning and I love when the aspect ratio changes from 2.20:1 to 1.78:1. The audio has clipping and is loud so I backed off the MV from -12dB to -14bB and set Audy to Reference to tame the brightness of the audio track. There is bass throughout the entire movie and it's loud. I know War of The Worlds bass was deeper and cleaner but I was more impressed by Dunkirk as my couch was vibrating throughout the entire movie. I was experiencing vibrations throughout my entire body especially on my back. Throughout both movies, I kept thinking about the topic of being on a concrete floor compared to a suspended floor. I'm on concrete and during both of these movies I had no problem with tactile feel and the couch was vibrating a ton. I do have the couch sitting on 3/4 inch plywood birch and the plywood is isolated from the floor by furniture grippers. When Dunkirk ended I ask my son which movie did you feel the bass/couch shake more and he said definitely Dunkirk.



I will also say that when it comes to picture and sound quality nothing beats physical media and it's higher data rates.


I have a VERY hard time watching Netflix for the reasons you mentioned.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.
David Charles is offline  
post #45737 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,577
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Just got done watching a double feature with my oldest son. We watched War of the Worlds and Dunkirk.


War of The World: I have seen it many years ago on DVD but my son never saw it. I just bought the Bluray version a few weeks ago so it was time to give it a spin. I had the MV at -12dB and the subs running 8dB hot and Audy was set at Flat and Dynamic EQ off. The picture looked dated and I'm sure that also had something to do with the creative process. The sound mix was very good up-mixed to Atmos with sounds coming from everywhere and the bass was very clean, deep, and hard hitting. I have 4 subs sporting 6 18inch woofers in 2300cu-ish sealed room and the subs just sailed right through the movie.


Dunkirk: I saw Dunkirk at an IMAX and enjoyed the movie and was eager to watch it again at home. The MV was at -14dB and the subs were running 8dB hot and Audy was set to Reference and Dynamic EQ was off. On Buray the picture is stunning and I love when the aspect ratio changes from 2.20:1 to 1.78:1. The audio has clipping and is loud so I backed off the MV from -12dB to -14bB and set Audy to Reference to tame the brightness of the audio track. There is bass throughout the entire movie and it's loud. I know War of The Worlds bass was deeper and cleaner but I was more impressed by Dunkirk as my couch was vibrating throughout the entire movie. I was experiencing vibrations throughout my entire body especially on my back. Throughout both movies, I kept thinking about the topic of being on a concrete floor compared to a suspended floor. I'm on concrete and during both of these movies I had no problem with tactile feel and the couch was vibrating a ton. I do have the couch sitting on 3/4 inch plywood birch and the plywood is isolated from the floor by furniture grippers. When Dunkirk ended I ask my son which movie did you feel the bass/couch shake more and he said definitely Dunkirk.

I will also say that when it comes to picture and sound quality nothing beats physical media and it's higher data rates.
Out of curiosity, how would you compare the S3600 to the UM18, one to one? Or perhaps you haven't compared them in such a way?
Mike Butny likes this.
bear123 is offline  
post #45738 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
paulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 910
How does the s1811 compare to the s1800? I was reading this review (below) and he seemed to have some concern with the 1800's 20hz and below capabilities..
Quote:
Provided the majority of the content doesn't dip too far into the teens the S1800 will happily play at an elevated volume level all day long. However, once confronted with the dual-headed monster of extreme output and really low bass you might find the S1800 voicing some displeasure as you start to hear what I can only describe as a "flapping" sound.
https://www.hometheatershack.com/for...00-review.html

Having just sold my 3 month old Arendal Sub 3, I'm in the market for something and have seriously been considering two PSA S1811 subs for my roughly 1700cft room. I've previously owned two SVS SB13 Ultras for 3+ yrs that didn't quite have the below 20hz output I'd prefer for my movie watching but apart from that I was reasonably happy with them. I then changed to an Arendal Sub 3 (link below) that had the output around 20hz, but rolls off heavily around 17/18hz and I hate thinking I'm missing out on something
https://www.arendalsound.eu/collecti...23-subwoofer-3

So I decided to look at PSA as they seem to offer good performance for the price and bigger drivers seem to be the way to go.. Ideally I'd like two smaller subs so the dual driver options aren't really an option, plus I'm in the UK so also limited for 18" driver alternatives from other manufacturers, but any reassurance that two S1811 will wipe the floor with previously owned subs would be appreciated

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

paulst is offline  
post #45739 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
I have a VERY hard time watching Netflix for the reasons you mentioned.
I find content varies incredibly. Often times I feel like something is lacking but that's mostly due to the content format. However Ready Player One was like a roller coaster ride with the entire room shaking where I literally wouldn't want it any louder or impactful.
albatros43 is offline  
post #45740 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
My American Cherry veneered S1510 came in yesterday, and holy crap it's REALLY nicely done. I was expecting decent quality prefinished veneer or something, but it almost seems like they used real wood veneer and stained it after it was applied. I can't say for sure that's what they did, but it definitely has a sort of fresh stain smell. The corners and edges are joined perfectly, and I mean perfectly - up there with the best I've ever seen. I didn't get a look at it in sunlight, which I'll do today, as well as take some photos to put up.

The size was surprising, even though I knew the dimensions ahead of time. The S1510 is barely bigger than the Dayton Sub 1200 it's replacing. I had imagined it being much bigger for some reason, and was pleasantly surprised.

As for sound, it's very... bouncy? I mean that like 'your knee just starts bouncing when you listen to a song.' It's my first good sealed sub, and I now I know what people are talking about when they say sealed subs are more musical. It's just a little tighter sounding than my ported subs. The impact is somewhat less, though that might be because my main room has four subs, and a single sealed 15 just won't have the same output, but it still goes just as deep. I set the crossover at 100hz and it blended perfectly with the Paradigm Monitor SE Atoms.

All in all, super happy with the little sealed PSA sub.
ratbuddy is offline  
post #45741 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 07:58 AM
Member
 
Jim Farina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
My American Cherry veneered S1510 came in yesterday, and holy crap it's REALLY nicely done. I was expecting decent quality prefinished veneer or something, but it almost seems like they used real wood veneer and stained it after it was applied. I can't say for sure that's what they did, but it definitely has a sort of fresh stain smell. The corners and edges are joined perfectly, and I mean perfectly - up there with the best I've ever seen. I didn't get a look at it in sunlight, which I'll do today, as well as take some photos to put up.

The size was surprising, even though I knew the dimensions ahead of time. The S1510 is barely bigger than the Dayton Sub 1200 it's replacing. I had imagined it being much bigger for some reason, and was pleasantly surprised.

As for sound, it's very... bouncy? I mean that like 'your knee just starts bouncing when you listen to a song.' It's my first good sealed sub, and I now I know what people are talking about when they say sealed subs are more musical. It's just a little tighter sounding than my ported subs. The impact is somewhat less, though that might be because my main room has four subs, and a single sealed 15 just won't have the same output, but it still goes just as deep. I set the crossover at 100hz and it blended perfectly with the Paradigm Monitor SE Atoms.

All in all, super happy with the little sealed PSA sub.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your S1510.

You must have woodworking experience because you are correct about the veneer. The sheets of MDF arrive at the cabinet shop with the raw veneer applied on both sides. They machine these sheets with a CNC router to precise tolerances, which provides them with the ability to join the edges and corners perfectly. We are always impressed with the quality of their work. Attached is a close-up picture of a natural cherry cabinet.

The fresh stain smell will go away in a few days. IIRC this cabinet was finished two days prior to shipping, so a little smell is to be expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S3000i-NC-017.png
Views:	119
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2477848  

Jim Farina
Jim Farina is offline  
post #45742 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,705
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 2597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Farina View Post

The fresh stain smell will go away in a few days. IIRC this cabinet was finished two days prior to shipping, so a little smell is to be expected.
Mmmm. New sub smell. I love the smell of fresh stain. Every time I walk in the lumber store I stop and smell the air. Love that smell.
Mike Butny likes this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
post #45743 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Yeah I love that smell too, that's why I was happy to find it on the sub

Jim, in a past life, I was a custom picture framer. I started as the shop helper, where they had me finishing corners of joined frames with putty and markers, and wrapping completed pieces.

If V1510DF and V1811 were available in a walnut veneer with sharp corners, I would trade up my other subs in a heartbeat - this is seriously beautiful work.
Jim Farina and Haiej like this.
ratbuddy is offline  
post #45744 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
And there lies the problem.... ICE amps don't take much gain with Denon/Marantz pre amps. My amp gains are 9:00 and my Sub trim is -9/-6. If I try and calibrate with the gain above 9:00, then I am out of range. So I cheated and bumped the amp gains up 1 detent(+3d) post Audyssey and bumped my trims +3db. I have had my setup since playing up over MV +5 with no issue.



That being said, He shouldn't need to run the subs that hot with Dynamic Eq on in that small room anyway. I wonder if the subs are working against each other causing some cancellations?



I agree, it would be best to start fresh...set amp gains so Audy comes in around -10, then bump the sub trim up to -5 or so and try lowering Dynamic EQ RLO to -10.


And @chucks0 @mthomas47 : I turned off Subwoofer Adjustment and added 2.5dB to Channel Level and the problem seems to have gone away. Now what I’m hearing are my lighting fixtures rattling, which is a different but better problem to have

Will continue listening to see if anything else is amiss, but turning off that very misleading setting seems to have done the trick. (They should take that setting out entirely, I don’t see what the point is if you have Channel Level adjustments available. I though that Subwoofer Adjustment was for every input device and that Channel Levels for each input device, so that’s why I tried it.)

Btw, what is RLO?
zeuspaul, mthomas47 and Pradeep2 like this.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
post #45745 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
And @chucks0 @mthomas47 : I turned off Subwoofer Adjustment and added 2.5dB to Channel Level and the problem seems to have gone away. Now what I’m hearing are my lighting fixtures rattling, which is a different but better problem to have

Will continue listening to see if anything else is amiss, but turning off that very misleading setting seems to have done the trick. (They should take that setting out entirely, I don’t see what the point is if you have Channel Level adjustments available. I though that Subwoofer Adjustment was for every input device and that Channel Levels for each input device, so that’s why I tried it.)

Btw, what is RLO?
The subwoofer level adjustment just provides a quicker way to change the boost without having to go into the audyssey setup section and listening to the pink noise.

RLO is Reference Level Offset. It modifies how much impact Dynamic EQ has. 0 means adjust from 0 MV, -5 from -5 MV, etc. So a setting of -15 means that at -15 MV, not dynamic EQ is being applied.
sunPin likes this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is offline  
post #45746 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,883
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3049 Post(s)
Liked: 10457
Hi all,

I know I missed a few chats earlier as we had a customer pick up and it always seems like as soon as I step away from the PC for a bit, they chats pop in..

Anyway, I'll be on chat for a while now as I've gotten the usual sunday stuff caught up and I've recovered from another Browns L.

So feel free to pop in with any questions,

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Haiej likes this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #45747 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,883
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3049 Post(s)
Liked: 10457
Also, we have two S3601-b left. And I have a feeling these might be the last two we have in the outlet for a long time. Identical performance to the new S3611, huge savings. What's not to like..


Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #45748 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,632
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
I wouldn't mind a third! Lol
CallingMrBenzo and Pradeep2 like this.
subacabra is online now  
post #45749 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,489
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I wouldn't mind a third! Lol
I dare ya!
subacabra likes this.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
ereed is online now  
post #45750 of 52701 Old 11-04-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
David Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I wouldn't mind a third! Lol


Yes. Tempting. If they had the newer darker drivers I’d prob do it. My ocd would bother me as the ones i got last month have the newer color drivers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David Charles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off