Originally Posted by chucks0
I am definitely planning an upgrade once the new subs drop, but wanted to get everyone's opinion on which option make the most sense. I currently have a V1801 and a V1811.
1. Trade in both subs on a single of the higher end version of the new sub. I'm assuming a single of the new sub would easily beat my current pair in the mid bass and destroy them down low. I have a good location that has proved to provide a flat response at the MLP with a single sub. A second could always be added later if I get the upgrade itch.
2. Trade in both subs on a pair of the lower end version of the new sub. I'm assuming this would provide more output than option 1 but at a higher price point and with less WAF as it would take up a lot more space.
3. Trade in the V1801 on either the lower end or higher end version of the new sub based on pricing. Put the existing V1811 nearfield. I'm reluctant to do this as I would imagine mixing subs with 2 different port tunes might cause issues with cancellations around the port tune.
I'm leaning towards option 1 since it gets me the best single sub with an obvious upgrade path. My hope would be that there would be a single driver version of a low tuned sub that would better pair with the monster available in the future that could be used nearfield.
I'm just catching-up on this thread and noticed that your post sort of got lost. At this point, it is hard to know whether option 1 or option 2 would work better. Unless there is a lot of performance difference between the lower cost model and the higher cost model, you might be well served to get the lower cost one. On the other hand, unless there is a lot of cost difference between the two models, you might be well served to get the better performing one. How's that for a pretty ambiguous answer?
But, framed the way you did, it really does come down to a price versus performance question, and there just isn't enough information yet on the performance/cost differences between the two models to make an intelligent guess. FWIW, I personally prefer to go as far as I can up the model line, and if there isn't a lot of cost difference between the two versions, you might still be able to add both of the better subs initially. Tom will be able to help you with this decision as he starts to get more specific about the two versions.
One thing I definitely wouldn't do is to try to match a V1811 with one of the new low-tuned subs, for exactly the reason you mentioned. It isn't just the difference in port tune, it's also the difference in the shape of the frequency response. You would certainly expect to have more issues with cancellation, and fewer opportunities to benefit from having dual subs.
Frankly, even level-matching the subs could be very difficult, if you want to have the full benefit of the new subwoofer. Volume decreases by ~3db for a doubling of distance indoors, so there would have to be a considerable distance difference between the subs to even make that work. And, automated room EQ would not be your friend with EQ below the F3 point of the V1811. All-in-all, not the option you would want.