Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1622 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 67062Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #48631 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 AM
Member
 
Uber Archetype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I think a lot of us underestimate the costs involved...
I underestimate the cost of almost everything I do - especially in the time factor!

System: Multiple
Brands: Too many to mention
Great Sound: Everywhere, all the time!
Uber Archetype is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #48632 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Here's a better photo showing the size next to a S3010 and a little S1510df

Tom V.
Team Power.
S3611 making the S3010 look small and the S1510DF look tiny while many are waiting on TV36's that make the S3611 look small. I love this place
iceatola likes this.
gbreda is offline  
post #48633 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Newbie
 
HexDex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Took Delivery today!


Dropped them into their temp home, as stands for my rear surrounds. Left the AVR set for when I had a single PB-2000, turned the gain to 12 o'clock and threw on a test.


I used Iron Man, since I know the opening convoy scene, and the missile test scene pretty well.



Holy mackerel! So intense! This is amazing!



Can't wait to hear what it is like when I get them calibrated!




I may have a new issue though. haha. DAF. Doggo Acceptance Factor. My dog doesn't react to fireworks or the like, and doesn't flinch when I watched movies with explosions and what not.


She sat through my test like a champ.



My girlfriends dog on the other hand, is now spooked a bit!



Any one have experience acclimating a dog to high powered home theatre?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190513_130505.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	863.6 KB
ID:	2566174  
HexDex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #48634 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
kelly.mcaloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexDex View Post
Took Delivery today!


Dropped them into their temp home, as stands for my rear surrounds. Left the AVR set for when I had a single PB-2000, turned the gain to 12 o'clock and threw on a test.


I used Iron Man, since I know the opening convoy scene, and the missile test scene pretty well.



Holy mackerel! So intense! This is amazing!



Can't wait to hear what it is like when I get them calibrated!




I may have a new issue though. haha. DAF. Doggo Acceptance Factor. My dog doesn't react to fireworks or the like, and doesn't flinch when I watched movies with explosions and what not.


She sat through my test like a champ.



My girlfriends dog on the other hand, is now spooked a bit!



Any one have experience acclimating a dog to high powered home theatre?


Probably easier to get a new girlfriend, lol!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Butny likes this.
kelly.mcaloney is offline  
post #48635 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexDex View Post
Any one have experience acclimating a dog to high powered home theatre?
I don't have any advice, but our dog bolts upstairs to our bedroom the second she hears the "click" of the subwoofers powering on.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is offline  
post #48636 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,706
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 2597
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexDex View Post
I may have a new issue though. haha. DAF. Doggo Acceptance Factor. My dog doesn't react to fireworks or the like, and doesn't flinch when I watched movies with explosions and what not.

She sat through my test like a champ.



My girlfriends dog on the other hand, is now spooked a bit!



Any one have experience acclimating a dog to high powered home theatre?

Start slow and let them become familiar with the lower levels of bass in their house. Dogs are usually sensitive to higher frequencies but may be scared by booms (subs, guns, fireworks). Once they know where it is coming from and that it won't hurt them, they will become desensitized to it. Sit with the dog next to the subwoofer with low level bass and make the dog feel comfortable. After a while, it'll probably not even notice.


It's much the same as training hunting dogs and horses with firearms. Go slow and build up.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
post #48637 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Once they know where it is coming from and that it won't hurt them, they will become desensitized to it. Sit with the dog next to the subwoofer with low level bass and make the dog feel comfortable. After a while, it'll probably not even notice.


It's much the same as training hunting dogs and horses with firearms. Go slow and build up.
Yup

Ours sleeps through all of our movies about 3 feet from one of the 2 subs.
Mike Butny likes this.
gbreda is offline  
post #48638 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Mothers day was raw and cloudy around here. We had my girlfriends 4 kids up for some beef I had smoked on Saturday and chicken I bbq'd on Sunday and to hang out by the fire pit for a great afternoon.

The fire pit is in the woods about 40-50 feet to the 2 car garage, then the house with the sound system at the other end of the house.

I was demoing the system for her older son with WOTW pod emergence scene

Everyone else was by the fire pit
Apparently her other son says " mom, its starting to thunder"
Mom replied, "no that's the sound system"
Son-"No mom, thats thunder"
Mom-"no its the sound system"

Daughter comes in to check it out: "dude, the windows in the garage are rattling- that is so awesome!!"
gbreda is offline  
post #48639 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Member
 
flyers10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'm running 2 v1510df's up front. I have one of my old Klipsch ksw-12 subs that didn't die and was debating on adding it as a nearfield sub located between right surround and sofa. Thoughts on if this is a good idea to get some additional TR or would be too difficult or a bad fit to integrate in?
flyers10 is offline  
post #48640 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Did anyone watch GOT season 8 episode 5? Daaaaaaaamn my whole house felt like it was going to come crashing down during some of the scenes with the dragons. I dont want to give away anything.

Thinking about watching it again just so i can find these damn rattles and fix them. BTW I have 2 V1811's and I am totally in love with them. Also the WAF smiles everything they hit hard which is pretty satisfying.
sfreiman is offline  
post #48641 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 04:56 PM
Member
 
lmendes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada - Calgary, AB
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Alternative for dual PB2000

Hi Guys,
I just finished my basement and I will need to buy a new subwoofer set due to the bigger size of it. I was almost pulling the trigger on a dual PB2000 when I start to read about the PSA models . The problem that I have is that they are not directly available here in Canada and I would need to pay delivery and duties from US. The dual PB2000 I can get for CAd 2K , around about USD 1500 , so the same price on the US, delivered. If I go to the PSA route I would have to stick with just one sub to stay on the same budget. I would be able to go for a get a s1811 or if I stretch my budget maybe the s3011, but again, single piece instead of dual ( or use it with the current one which is a polki DSW 660 ) .

So here are my questions:

Does a dual driver Sub act like a dual subwoofer system or I would still need two subs to get a more smooth response.
Do you guys think in any configuration using PSA that could replace the dual PB2000 scenario ?

My room have has a L Shape with 540 sqr feet. the ceiling height is 8.5' so I have a total volume of 4590 Cubic feet.


Leandro
lmendes is offline  
post #48642 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmendes View Post
Hi Guys,
I just finished my basement and I will need to buy a new subwoofer set due to the bigger size of it. I was almost pulling the trigger on a dual PB2000 when I start to read about the PSA models . The problem that I have is that they are not directly available here in Canada and I would need to pay delivery and duties from US. The dual PB2000 I can get for CAd 2K , around about USD 1500 , so the same price on the US, delivered. If I go to the PSA route I would have to stick with just one sub to stay on the same budget. I would be able to go for a get a s1811 or if I stretch my budget maybe the s3011, but again, single piece instead of dual ( or use it with the current one which is a polki DSW 660 ) .

So here are my questions:

Does a dual driver Sub act like a dual subwoofer system or I would still need two subs to get a more smooth response.
Do you guys think in any configuration using PSA that could replace the dual PB2000 scenario ?

My room have has a L Shape with 540 sqr feet. the ceiling height is 8.5' so I have a total volume of 4590 Cubic feet.


Leandro
Generally you would need dual subs to smooth response, even with dual opposing. This doesnt mean you cant get satifactpry results with signle if you put the effort and have the flexibility into placement and adjustments.

Another thing is your comparing the ported PB2000 to sealed subs from PSA-different sound signatures and output depending on your preferences. At 4950 cubic ft, I would lean towards ported.

In about a month, there will likely be some good outlet deals to be had but you will need to contact Tom and see whats coming in as well as seeing if he is gathering a list as he is not updating the website at this time. You may be able to score 15" ported duals if you can stretch the budget a bit, or try a single V1811 within your budget and is a huge seller for a good reason.
Mike Butny, lmendes and Hopinater like this.
gbreda is offline  
post #48643 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
kelly.mcaloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmendes View Post
Hi Guys,

I just finished my basement and I will need to buy a new subwoofer set due to the bigger size of it. I was almost pulling the trigger on a dual PB2000 when I start to read about the PSA models . The problem that I have is that they are not directly available here in Canada and I would need to pay delivery and duties from US. The dual PB2000 I can get for CAd 2K , around about USD 1500 , so the same price on the US, delivered. If I go to the PSA route I would have to stick with just one sub to stay on the same budget. I would be able to go for a get a s1811 or if I stretch my budget maybe the s3011, but again, single piece instead of dual ( or use it with the current one which is a polki DSW 660 ) .



So here are my questions:



Does a dual driver Sub act like a dual subwoofer system or I would still need two subs to get a more smooth response.

Do you guys think in any configuration using PSA that could replace the dual PB2000 scenario ?



My room have has a L Shape with 540 sqr feet. the ceiling height is 8.5' so I have a total volume of 4590 Cubic feet.





Leandro


Where are u buying them 2000$ delivered, I'm assuming your forgetting tax.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kelly.mcaloney is offline  
post #48644 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
neutro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,021
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmendes View Post
The problem that I have is that they are not directly available here in Canada and I would need to pay delivery and duties from US.
A classic problem for us Canadians and I've been through this, twice. First time I got SVS and the other PSA. All I can say is that I was a satisfied client both times.

At the time, the only Canadian SVS dealer was SonicBoomAudio / ElectronicsForLess, but I think there are other dealers now. SBA/EFL were fast and helpful; I had one sub with a dead driver and contacting SVS, a replacement was arranged within the week.

I had no issue whatsoever with the PSA sub, and Tom took care of everything for shipping -- duties were included in the transport fees, so you know exactly how much it will be in advance. Shipping was not that expensive, and warranty is still honored in Canada. PSA will try to find the most economical solution if there is an issue (e.g. shipping parts if you are comfortable with installing them).

I can't really weigh in on which sub is the best solution for your particular case, but I just wanted to chip in to say that purchasing from SVS and PSA are both easy north of the border.
ahblaza, lmendes and Younger38 like this.

neutro is offline  
post #48645 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmendes View Post
Would I still need two subs to get a more smooth response.


My room have has a L Shape with 540 sqr feet. the ceiling height is 8.5' so I have a total volume of 4590 Cubic feet.

Leandro

Having an irregularly shaped room increases your chances of getting a decently smooth frequency response with a single sub. Given the size of your room, I would get the largest single ported sub you can afford and add a second down the road if you determine it is needed. I think the importance of having a perfectly smooth frequency response is often exaggerated and is more noticed on a frequency graph than in actual usage. I will be trading in 2 ported 18" PSA subs when the new TV36 sub ships and there should be a lot of them in the outlet soon.
ahblaza, lmendes and Hopinater like this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is offline  
post #48646 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,427
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 9769
I would Start with the S3010...add another down the road if you feel that more firepower and/or response smoothing is needed.
SuperFist and CallingMrBenzo like this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #48647 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would Start with the S3010...add another down the road if you feel that more firepower and/or response smoothing is needed.
It was mentioned that the S3010 is a budget stretch, I dont know about adding more later. If that is a possibility, then this path would be a good option.

If budget is tight and duals are warranted, wouldn't 2 ported 15"s make more sense? Return shipping for the trial period might be steep from Canada.

On the other hand, a single S3000i did well here, duals are even better. A well placed S3010 could do it.
gbreda is offline  
post #48648 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:43 PM
Member
 
lmendes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada - Calgary, AB
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Generally you would need dual subs to smooth response, even with dual opposing. This doesnt mean you cant get satifactpry results with signle if you put the effort and have the flexibility into placement and adjustments.



Another thing is your comparing the ported PB2000 to sealed subs from PSA-different sound signatures and output depending on your preferences. At 4950 cubic ft, I would lean towards ported.



In about a month, there will likely be some good outlet deals to be had but you will need to contact Tom and see whats coming in as well as seeing if he is gathering a list as he is not updating the website at this time. You may be able to score 15" ported duals if you can stretch the budget a bit, or try a single V1811 within your budget and is a huge seller for a good reason.


What is the best way to reach out Tom ? PSA website ?


Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
lmendes is offline  
post #48649 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Member
 
lmendes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada - Calgary, AB
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly.mcaloney View Post
Where are u buying them 2000$ delivered, I'm assuming your forgetting tax.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes without tax. I live in Calgary so it is 2,050k plus 5% taxes. You can find them sold in Amazon ( Quebec Acoustique)



Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
kelly.mcaloney likes this.
lmendes is offline  
post #48650 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmendes View Post
What is the best way to reach out Tom ? PSA website ?


Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk


He normally responds to email within a day, though you may get lucky and catch him in the live chat through the website as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gbreda likes this.
hawkeyejw is offline  
post #48651 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Member
 
lmendes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada - Calgary, AB
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
A classic problem for us Canadians and I've been through this, twice. First time I got SVS and the other PSA. All I can say is that I was a satisfied client both times.



At the time, the only Canadian SVS dealer was SonicBoomAudio / ElectronicsForLess, but I think there are other dealers now. SBA/EFL were fast and helpful; I had one sub with a dead driver and contacting SVS, a replacement was arranged within the week.



I had no issue whatsoever with the PSA sub, and Tom took care of everything for shipping -- duties were included in the transport fees, so you know exactly how much it will be in advance. Shipping was not that expensive, and warranty is still honored in Canada. PSA will try to find the most economical solution if there is an issue (e.g. shipping parts if you are comfortable with installing them).



I can't really weigh in on which sub is the best solution for your particular case, but I just wanted to chip in to say that purchasing from SVS and PSA are both easy north of the border.


Thanks ...I am little afraid with delivery costs but I will definitely check it out.


Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
lmendes is offline  
post #48652 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmendes View Post
What is the best way to reach out Tom ? PSA website ?


Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Right now, I believe email is best as Tom is busier than usual with the new release TV36's

[email protected]
ahblaza likes this.
gbreda is offline  
post #48653 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Member
 
lmendes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada - Calgary, AB
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
It was mentioned that the S3010 is a budget stretch, I dont know about adding more later. If that is a possibility, then this path would be a good option.



If budget is tight and duals are warranted, wouldn't 2 ported 15"s make more sense? Return shipping for the trial period might be steep from Canada.



On the other hand, a single S3000i did well here, duals are even better. A well placed S3010 could do it.


Yes I would guess that two 15 ported would be the best option but it is way off my budget right now. I would have to stick with a single 15 for now or even a single 18.


Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
lmendes is offline  
post #48654 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmendes View Post
Yes I would guess that two 15 ported would be the best option but it is way off my budget right now. I would have to stick with a single 15 for now or even a single 18.


Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
If future additions are a possibility, I agree with BH and going to a single S3010 if you can. Dual Opposed 15"s and almost 2K of wattage. This model is often referred to for size/price/performance in the lineup

You may not need 2...........
gbreda is offline  
post #48655 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,880
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
In about a month, there will likely be some good outlet deals to be had but you will need to contact Tom and see whats coming in as well as seeing if he is gathering a list as he is not updating the website at this time. You may be able to score 15" ported duals if you can stretch the budget a bit, or try a single V1811 within your budget and is a huge seller for a good reason.
This is a really good point regarding the upcoming outlet deals. There will be a number of subs going to outlet because a lot of guys here are trading in for the TV36. If I were sub shopping right now I would be waiting to see what becomes available over the next month as the TV36 subs are released into the wild and the trade in subs are returned to PSA.

Regarding which sub to get... I'd get a S3010 if I wanted more mid-bass (60 to 100Hz) or a V1811 if I was more interested in lower bass (20 to 50Hz). We know for sure there will be V18XX series subs in outlet soon so there will be great deals on those. I don't know if there will be any S30XX series subs available or not in outlet but Tom would know.
SuperFist, gbreda and lmendes like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #48656 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Member
 
lmendes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada - Calgary, AB
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
This is a really good point regarding the upcoming outlet deals. There will be a number of subs going to outlet because a lot of guys here are trading in for the TV36. If I were sub shopping right now I would be waiting to see what becomes available over the next month as the TV36 subs are released into the wild and the trade in subs are returned to PSA.



Regarding which sub to get... I'd get a S3010 if I wanted more mid-bass (60 to 100Hz) or a V1811 if I was more interested in lower bass (20 to 50Hz). We know for sure there will be V18XX series subs in outlet soon so there will be great deals on those. I don't know if there will be any S30XX series subs available or not in outlet but Tom would know.


It is a good advice. I can wait maybe I will be able to go for dual as well .



Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
ahblaza likes this.
lmendes is offline  
post #48657 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
A classic problem for us Canadians and I've been through this, twice. First time I got SVS and the other PSA. All I can say is that I was a satisfied client both times.

At the time, the only Canadian SVS dealer was SonicBoomAudio / ElectronicsForLess, but I think there are other dealers now. SBA/EFL were fast and helpful; I had one sub with a dead driver and contacting SVS, a replacement was arranged within the week.

I had no issue whatsoever with the PSA sub, and Tom took care of everything for shipping -- duties were included in the transport fees, so you know exactly how much it will be in advance. Shipping was not that expensive, and warranty is still honored in Canada. PSA will try to find the most economical solution if there is an issue (e.g. shipping parts if you are comfortable with installing them).

I can't really weigh in on which sub is the best solution for your particular case, but I just wanted to chip in to say that purchasing from SVS and PSA are both easy north of the border.
Agreed completely. Other than the dollar, shipping, delivery everything is smooth as silk with Tom. Also I am pretty sure there is no duty only tax on the price of the sub and shipping so no different than purchasing a similarly priced item in Canada and shipping a giant heavy item isnt cheap even in country.
lmendes likes this.
Younger38 is offline  
post #48658 of 53134 Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
JosephTonyStark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Because of all the recent mentions of how the S30XX rolls off at the bottom of its frequency response slower than the S36XX and the S30XX's price-to-performance ratio, I am curious...

Does it make any sense to choose the S30XX over the S36XX coming from the S1801? The plan is to have duals at some point, but I'd be starting with one unit at this moment.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
lmendes likes this.

TV: Samsung 65" UHD LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; LG UB870; Dell 7010 SFF; Roku Ultra | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); Outlaw Audio 7125 | Front LR\C: JBL Studio 590\Studio 520C | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: JBL Pro Control CRV (2)
JosephTonyStark is offline  
post #48659 of 53134 Old 05-14-2019, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
David Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1875
Guys, it doesn’t exactly roll off. I’m flat all the way down to 9.8 Hz. The thing jams. It has more capabilities than the s3010. 2 18’s vs 2 15s,you do the math


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MentatYP and ahblaza like this.
David Charles is offline  
post #48660 of 53134 Old 05-14-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
neutro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,021
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger38 View Post
Other than the dollar, shipping, delivery everything is smooth as silk with Tom.
Yeah, the dollar. About that. Well, it's not an awesome time to buy from the US, that's for sure. Here's a breakdown of what it cost me for getting my XS15se (which is, and that would be an understatement, not the biggest sub you could order from PSA). That was back in 2014 so this does not reflect current PSA product or prices obviously.

799 USD for the sub
130 USD for federal and provincial taxes
71 USD for shipping

Total: 1000 USD almost to the cent. Back in 2014 this meant roughly 1000 CAD also since dollars were pretty close to parity. Today this would be 1346 CAD...

Taxes are not duties but they are collected at the border. If you blindly ship things using FedEx, they will *advance* the money for the taxes, and then charge you for the advance on top of the taxes. But PSA/Tom prepay the taxes so there is no bad news when the sub is on the front door.

For shipping, your mileage may vary obviously, but PSA did discount accounting that they ship for free inside the continental US, so that's only the part from the border up. In the grand scheme of things, a pretty reasonable shipping fee for such a hefty package.

If we apply the same ratios for a S3010, we end up with:

1700 USD for the sub
255 USD for taxes (assuming your combined taxes are about 15%)
151 USD for shipping (just applying the same ratio relative to the sub value)

Total would thus be close to 2106 USD, so about 2837 CAD. Of course, for more accurate numbers, please request a quote from PSA, but unless you live far from the border, it seems you can probably get the S3010 comfortably under 3k CAD.

neutro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off