Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1651 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60056Likes

post #49501 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
It was more of the fact that it’s ported and has the low tune. The base version had I gotten it should wipe the floor with the S3611 until you get to under 10Hz where I had some output with the sealed and may have no output with the new subs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You didn't get the base version, you got the Neo version. I would think the base version would be very similar to the original BUT with a lower tune.
ahblaza likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 PSA S3600I'S, and 2 UM18-22/iNUKE6000DSP DIY subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49502 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
You might want to bypass the CEO on this one W

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/it%27...han_permission
Hilarious!

Proverb
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission
  1. It is better to act decisively and apologize for it later than to seek approval to act and risk delay, objections, etc.
I think your advice was spot on in this particular case. Nevertheless, I had a board meeting with the CEO this morning and received the seal of approval!!!!

I sent an order to Tom and look forward to getting those drivers airlifted from Italy to Mineral Ridge, OH as soon as possible. I am really looking forward to getting the TV36s.

I've gone from the original grandad of subs - the SVS PB12 Plus 2, to dual SVS PB13 Ultras, to the JTR Orbit Shifter LFU (didn't work well for me), back to the PB13 Ultras, on to the dual S3600s and now to the dual TV36 iPALs. I think this will be the best upgrade yet and a very tangible step up in this progression. Maybe the TV36s will be endgame for my current theater - but who knows what Tom may come up with next....

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #49503 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
Hilarious!

Proverb
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission
  1. It is better to act decisively and apologize for it later than to seek approval to act and risk delay, objections, etc.
I think your advice was spot on in this particular case. Nevertheless, I had a board meeting with the CEO this morning and received the seal of approval!!!!

I sent an order to Tom and look forward to getting those drivers airlifted from Italy to Mineral Ridge, OH as soon as possible. I am really looking forward to getting the TV36s.

I've gone from the original grandad of subs - the SVS PB12 Plus 2, to dual SVS PB13 Ultras, to the JTR Orbit Shifter LFU (didn't work well for me), back to the PB13 Ultras, on to the dual S3600s and now to the dual TV36 iPALs. I think this will be the best upgrade yet and a very tangible step up in this progression. Maybe the TV36s will be endgame for my current theater - but who knows what Tom may come up with next....
Congrats!!!!!!!
zorax2 and ahblaza like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 PSA S3600I'S, and 2 UM18-22/iNUKE6000DSP DIY subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49504 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 3213
Quote:

Orbit shifter LFU didn't work for you? Those are some serious subs you have had....
SuperFist likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #49505 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 10009
Okay, yesterday was kind of unexpected. I never imagined at 3:00 PM I would be up until 11:00 taking REW measurements but thanks to Enrico taking time to help me set up the MacBook for REW I was up and running in no time. So last night I just started playing around and was having such as easy time of it I lost track of time. Below is the measurement I took at the MLP of both TV36's with Audyssey on. My room is large. With all doors closed it is at least 5400 cuft and if doors are left open it is 7200 cuft. These measurements were taken with doors closed.

On the low end my room gives me a nice little peak right around port tune then I don't really drop off below the average until about 11 or 12Hz then I drop 6 dB's and flatten out into single digits (not sure how much of that single digit bass would be noticeable though). What's interesting, is that low end peak has often showed up in graphs that were Pre-Audyssey and then Audyssey robs me of it. But with see subs I still have that peak... which I'm really happy about. The subs plus CC graph looks almost identical to this all subs graph but that narrow null at the crossover isn't as deep. That's so narrow I'm not even concerned about it. But I might perform the distance tweak to see if I can kill it.

All in all I'm very happy with this response. I've done nothing but put the subs in place and run Audyssey, I haven't tweaked anything. Anyone see anything I'm missing? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV36 X2 MLP.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	2582328  

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

Last edited by Hopinater; 06-20-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #49506 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Looking good @Hopinater! Happy for you! 4K, an ATMOS, and now possibly nirvana in subwoofer bliss.....quite the journey. Interesting on the MAC, may PM you on some details.
Hopinater likes this.
post #49507 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Congratulations. I'm glad to see you are doing this because this will be completely different than what you have and if it's TR you seek the TV36 iPals will deliver. My wife no longer sits on the couch that has the Crowsons because she feels the TV36 iPals's provide the perfect amount of TR and the Crowsons coupled with the TV36 iPals is too much. Now, it should be noted I don't agree with her and the Crowsons are staying but to each their own.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #49508 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Do you have a miniDSP hop? If not, get one ordered asap
post #49509 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Okay, yesterday was kind of unexpected. I never imagined at 3:00 PM I would be up until 11:00 taking REW measurements but thanks to Enrico taking time to help me set up the MacBook for REW I was up and running in no time. So last night I just started playing around and was having such as easy time of it I lost track of time. Below is the measurement I took at the MLP of both TV36's with Audyssey on. My room is large. With all doors closed it is at least 5400 cuft and if doors are left open it is 7200 cuft. These measurements were taken with doors closed.

On the low end my room gives me a nice little peak right around port tune then I don't really drop off below the average until about 11 or 12Hz then I drop 6 dB's and flatten out into single digits (not sure how much of that single digit bass would be noticeable though). What's interesting, is that low end peak has often showed up in graphs that were Pre-Audyssey and then Audyssey robs me of it. But with see subs I still have that peak... which I'm really happy about. The subs plus CC graph looks almost identical to this all subs graph but that narrow null at the crossover isn't as deep. That's so narrow I'm not even concerned about it. But I might perform the distance tweak to see if I can kill it.

All in all I'm very happy with this response. I've done nothing but put the subs in place and run Audyssey, I haven't tweaked anything. Anyone see anything I'm missing? Thoughts?
I actually like the placement of that peak. It's going to add to the low end of the sub. Let's say that's a 4db peak and you run your subs 6db hot then you are sitting at 10db hot throughout the bump range which will help movies mixed with low output in that low range.
toddct, SuperFist, ahblaza and 2 others like this.

post #49510 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

Impressive Hop. Were you able to take any measurements when you had the V3600's? If so, how do the numbers compare?
Mike Butny likes this.
post #49511 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5374 Post(s)
Liked: 10045
Quote:

Quote:
I actually like the placement of that peak. It's going to add to the low end of the sub. Let's say that's a 4db peak and you run your subs 6db hot then you are sitting at 10db hot throughout the bump range which will help movies mixed with low output in that low range.

Hi Hop,

That's a pretty good looking FR, especially for such a large room.

Audyssey is going to try to EQ you flat to 10Hz, which is generally a good thing, but that's where your room size control comes in. When you start with it in the medium position prior to running Audyssey, and then increase it post-Audyssey, you put back some of the low-frequency room gain that you were getting. Of course, to make that work, you have to have subs which don't roll-off too much before the room gain can help out. And, that's the strength of the iPal's (or Neo's) with a 13.5Hz port tune.

I agree with Mike Butny! That's a really nice natural house curve which, combined with a healthy subwoofer boost, may make BEQ less important in your system. (Knowing you, that's not to say that you may not still experiment with it at some point, now that you have REW working again. )

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #49512 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 887
So my new subwoofers arrived today while I was at work. God bless my buddy who was willing to “work” from my house today and able to receive them. I need to rush home to get those inside as we have had tons of thunderstorms in Va the las few days

MentatYP, zeuspaul, zorax2 and 9 others like this.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #49513 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So my new subwoofers arrived today while I was at work. God bless my buddy who was willing to “work” from my house today and able to receive them. I need to rush home to get those inside as we have had tons of thunderstorms in Va the las few days

You went to work. Come on man we have been waiting for a neo review

post #49514 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You went to work. Come on man we have been waiting for a neo review

I was off last Thursday and Friday and hoped to get them but they didn’t finish until Monday.

I work a high volume Mercedes service department, getting any time off is not happening.

Mike Butny likes this.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #49515 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 4661
Quote:
I was off last Thursday and Friday and hoped to get them but they didn’t finish until Monday.

I work a high volume Mercedes service department, getting any time off is not happening.

So looking forward to your impressions esp considering we both have/had s3601's!
I expect pictures and videos galore! Lol
post #49516 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hurry Hurry Hurry... You need to get home NOW and get those set up and give us your impressions. Congratulations buddy!
Mike Butny and subacabra like this.

post #49517 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post
Impressive Hop. Were you able to take any measurements when you had the V3600's? If so, how do the numbers compare?
I do. Here is an old graph of the V3600's with Audyssey, this goes back almost five years. I can't seem to find one of the dual V3601s which would have been more recent. I'm not sure what tweaking I may have done after I took this old graph (if any). I'll also include the new TV36 graph again for easier comparison.

Mike Thomas and Mike Butny, I agree with you both, I was really happy to see that house curve. And now that I'm thinking about it, I ran Audyssey with the RSC knob at half way and then turned it to 3/4 after. That probably helps explain that curve a bit. The old V3600's did not have a RSC knob.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2x V3600i with Audyssey.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2582456   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV36 X2 MLP.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	2582458  

Last edited by Hopinater; 06-20-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #49518 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
So looking forward to your impressions esp considering we both have/had s3601's!
I expect pictures and videos galore! Lol
Yep, me too.
subacabra likes this.

post #49519 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your buddy has a look on his face like " Hey dude, you didn't tell me they were going to be this big"

Last edited by Mike Butny; 06-20-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #49520 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do. Here is an old graph of the V3600's with Audyssey, this goes back almost five years. I can't seem to find one of the dual V3601s which would have been more recent. I'm not sure what tweaking I may have done after I took this old graph (if any). I'll also include the new TV36 graph again for easier comparison.

Mike Thomas and Mike Butny, I agree with you both, I was really happy to see that house curve. And now that I'm thinking about it, I ran Audyssey with the RSC knob at half way and then turned it to 3/4 after. That probably helps explain that curve a bit. The old V3600's did not have a RSC knob.
Why did you set it to only 3/4 and not Large after running Audy?
ahblaza likes this.

post #49521 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Car dealership, that means you work long hours. You're not looking too good, I think you have to vomit. Get home now
CallingMrBenzo and Hopinater like this.

post #49522 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Car dealership, that means you work long hours. You're not looking too good, I think you have to vomit. Get home now

I’m on the way home now. Boss said go home play with your subs

post #49523 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why did you set it to only 3/4 and not Large after running Audy?
I did have them on large and I turned them back the other day just to see what it would sound like and I completely forgot I turned them back. I just remembered when I read Mike's post regarding the RSC control. No worries though, I'm going downstairs now to turn them to Maximum Large Room.

post #49524 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m on the way home now. Boss said go home play with your subs
Hey... CMB... it's been 25 minutes why haven't you sped home, set your subs up, listened to ten bass demos and given us your impressions yet? I'm questioning your commitment.

post #49525 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you want a nice bump from 30hz and below, start with the RSC in the small position but you might lose the low teen bump. You won't know until you try though.
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

post #49526 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey... CMB... it's been 25 minutes why haven't you sped home, set your subs up, listened to ten bass demos and given us your impressions yet? I'm questioning your commitment.

I live in Northern Va and I work 20 miles from home. You haven’t given me my full hour time allotment

zorax2, Mike Butny and Hopinater like this.

post #49527 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did have them on large and I turned them back the other day just to see what it would sound like and I completely forgot I turned them back. I just remembered when I read Mike's post regarding the RSC control. No worries though, I'm going downstairs now to turn them to Maximum Large Room.
Hop: Here are some old graphs of having the RSC set to small before Audy then setting it to large and then having the RSC in the middle position and then large after audy. Try both and see what works best for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 Subs Purple RC Large Teal RC Small.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2582470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Middle, Green Large.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	2582472  
ahblaza, Hopinater and GeoJustGeo like this.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 06-20-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #49528 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:

Kind of off topic but I picked up an AMG GTS on June 6th. What am I in for? Lol.

Greg
ahblaza, CallingMrBenzo and drh3b like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #49529 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Kind of off topic but I picked up an AMG GTS on June 6th. What am I in for? Lol.

Greg
A lot of speeding tickets! And you'll need a separate tire fund according to CMB!

Todd

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
post #49530 of 50383 Old 06-20-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Since talking about it currently, can someone elaborate on using the Room Control dial? I have dual v1510df's in an open floor plan (about 8500 cuft). I set RC to medium, ran Audyssey and then moved the dial to Large. I did that without any understanding of why though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page