Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1747 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65681Likes

post #52381 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
I'd try to keep the port below the screen so that it doesn't shake the screen when wind comes out of it. Are you building a false wall and then putting grill clothe outside of the screen?
Yes I'm planning on building a false wall where the AT screen will be mounted. If I leave the subs on the floor, the vents are located at the bottom near the floor. Would you leave the area below the screen on the false wall open to allow for the air to pass through freely then? I haven't seen any false wall designs like that, unless they are cleverly hidden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52382 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
Yes I'm planning on building a false wall where the AT screen will be mounted. If I leave the subs on the floor, the vents are located at the bottom near the floor. Would you leave the area below the screen on the false wall open to allow for the air to pass through freely then? I haven't seen any false wall designs like that, unless they are cleverly hidden.
Yes, I'd have most of the false wall be grill clothe. Then I'd treat the whole front wall and sidewalls behind the screen with thick bass trapping. If you had carpeted floors, combined with the front wall completely treated, you could have very little acoustic panels elsewhere which would make the room look a lot nicer. There are even some questions about if you should treat your first reflection points, depending on the off-axis characteristics of the speakers you have. This video from Audioholics is a nice look at small room treatments (which basically any domestic space falls under):

Make sure to have some access to get back there too. A hidden push to release latch door so you can crawl back there. Some people lift the whole screen, but if you have enough space I think it is much more practical to enter from the side of the screen.
David Wong likes this.
post #52383 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
For those with a V3611 or are familiar with this type of model, do you need either 2 RCA or 2 XLR cables to run both woofers? What's the purpose of Left XLR and Right XLR inputs? I see a "LFE" marking on the Left input. I'm assuming I can just use that to go with my sub outs on my AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52384 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

I have an s3600i. Are they upgradable to the new drivers? My amp is ice already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #52385 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
For those with a V3611 or are familiar with this type of model, do you need either 2 RCA or 2 XLR cables to run both woofers? What's the purpose of Left XLR and Right XLR inputs? I see a "LFE" marking on the Left input. I'm assuming I can just use that to go with my sub outs on my AVR.

You're correct. Only one cable is required, either RCA or XLR, connected to the LFE input. Enjoy!
darthray and David Wong like this.

Processor: Anthem AVM-60 7.2.0
Amps: Rotel RB-1090, Rotel RMB-1095
Video: OPPO UDP-203, JVC DLA-RS2000, Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 120" Screen
Speakers: 2-PSA MTM-210T L/R, PSA MTM-210C Center, 4-PSA MT110SR Surrounds
Subwoofers: 2-PSA S3611, MiniDSP 2x4HD
post #52386 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 3049 Post(s)
Liked: 10457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post
I have an s3600i. Are they upgradable to the new drivers? My amp is ice already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
00 series 18 inch models are not upgrade-able. 01 and 11 series are.

It may be a while before I can consider offering upgrades though as orders for all of the new model subs continue to be incredibly strong. Even the speaker sales have increased dramatically in the last few months. In fact we're out of stock on speakers until mid November now.

Tom V.
Team Power.
Alan P, zorax2, Mike Butny and 5 others like this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #52387 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGoat View Post
Do you have to send the BASH amps back too?
We do require the bash amps back, correct. Prepaid label.

Tom V.
Team Power.
GatoGoat likes this.

post #52388 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmatheny11 View Post
Please tell my wallet that the xs30se's aren't upgrade-able to the Neo's...
They are but you're looking at $850 per xs30se(425 per woofer). Really not the way to go imo.

I mean, your totals would be pretty close to what two brand new s3012 would have been.

Tom V.
Team Power.
SuperFist and sk373 like this.

post #52389 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Pure sickness.

I want!

See you soon! 😉
99.9% of the world..."Omg, this is like the apocalypse in a satin cabinet..."

AVS..."yawn, how's the progress on the TV168 coming along?"

Tom V.
Team Power.

post #52390 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Wow...... That thing is massive! What sub is that next to it?
that's the sealed 12 inch model I've been working on for some time now. The two latest samples look about perfect. I'm not sold on the speaker level posts I picked so I might change those. Otherwise it's just fine tuning it in the DSP. I should have that done by next weekend.

Tom V.
Team Power.

post #52391 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
They are but you're looking at $850 per xs30se(425 per woofer). Really not the way to go imo.

I mean, your totals would be pretty close to what two brand new s3012 would have been.

Tom V.

Team Power.
I agree. Looking forward to enjoying them with the ICE amps for the foreseeable future

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
post #52392 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
He already answered this. The subwoofer is too heavy to have the down firing port with the extended feet. He said they would be susceptible to breaking when moving. If memory serves me well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was a bit part of it.

The 8 inch porting wasn't up to "production snuff" imo either. It's fine for one offs and DIY but not so much for doing 100-500 subs or whatever annually. I toyed with the idea of dual 6 inch down firing but then I'd still be worried about someone pushing one of these behemoths across a carpet, one rubber foot "catching" and then potentially major problems. I'm including sliders and an expensive jensen isolator with each..but still...

I went with Baltic Birch to shed weight but even so, iirc, these clock in at about 270 without the grill. The front baffle is 2 inch thick..

Tom V.
Team Power.
tortelvis, tbass2k, zorax2 and 5 others like this.

post #52393 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Otherwise it's just fine tuning it in the DSP.
How do you program the DSP? I imagine you know the thermal limits of the driver and the instantaneous limits, are you able to program for both where the subwoofer will allow short peaks through but then limit the signal if its duration is too long? Or do you have to pick a happy medium? Then I imagine it's about making sure it is impossible to bottom out the driver? Are the DSPs pretty advanced where you can protect the subwoofer easily, or is it a bit of a trick and judgement call? Do you end up spending some time going through goofy scenes of movies that have extreme content that could trip them up like edge of tomorrow and seeing if your protections are solid? (sorry for so many questions )

I think it's great these smaller subs are coming out now, I wish you luck with them.
post #52394 of 52686 Old 10-20-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Where was this? An audio show?

Looking at the model numbers maybe this is old?
rhelliott2 likes this.
post #52395 of 52686 Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Funny thing from last night...got home ordered some delivery food and started to watch an El Chapo movie on Netflix at a decent volume , nothing too crazy but did set off the ADT alarm again ... So I saw the food guy pulling up to the driveway on my front camera (which no longer has a delay , ill get to that in a minute) , so I start to head to the front door and at that time some heavy gunfire shoot out is going on which I still think nothing of. I get to the door and the delivery guy is like leaned back ready to bolt to the opposite direction with wide open eyes! Still oblivious I say "Good Evening" , he lets out a breath and was like "Damn man that was just your movie!!?? I didnt want to come to the door!!" .... Whoops ... I guess the things we are used to , not everyone else is lol.....

So when I was ordering new phones from ATT the other day , they asked if I had Internet yadda yadda...Ive always had ATT for Cell but they sucked at only 6MB p/s in my area so I never used them..I have been using Spectrums internet thru the phone line that varied at 100MB p/s but still struggled at times leading to a delay in my cameras..So the lady @ ATT tells me that they have upgraded fiber optic in my area and my house was eligible to get a direct fiber line running at 1GB p/s...I said hell yeah...Xbox1 X tested it at around 800MB download and upload! I guess you need a pretty powerful computer to run 1GB...Either way things load pretty good , but the biggest thing I can tell is in my cameras. There used to be like a 10-15 second delay , now its pretty much live.
post #52396 of 52686 Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Funny thing from last night...got home ordered some delivery food and started to watch an El Chapo movie on Netflix at a decent volume , nothing too crazy but did set off the ADT alarm again
What type of sensor is going off? You keep your alarm triggered when you are at home and awake?
post #52397 of 52686 Old 10-21-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3565 Post(s)
Liked: 11212
Quote:
99.9% of the world..."Omg, this is like the apocalypse in a satin cabinet..."

AVS..."yawn, how's the progress on the TV168 coming along?"

Tom V.
Team Power.
LOL.... I love this quote. Why? Because it's so true!

Remember the old Crocodile Dundee movie where some street punk tries to mug the girl (Sue) and Crocodile Dundee. The punk pulls out a small knife and Sue says,"He's got a knife." Dundee just looks at the knife and laughs and says," That's not a knife," He then pulls out his own massive Bowie knife and says, "THAT'S a knife!"

That's AVS with subwoofers. The rest of the world thinks a 150 watt 10" subwoofer is incredible but on AVS we look at it, yawn and say, "That's not a subwoofer!" Then we show them a S7201 or a TV36 and say "THAT'S a subwoofer!"

I love it when new people come to my house and see the dual TV36 for the first time. They literally stand there amazed at their size. Then I take off the grill so they can see the dual 18" drivers staring them in the face. That's usually when my sanity gets questioned. And yes, I have seriously said "Now THAT'S a subwoofer!"
tbass2k, Alan P, zeuspaul and 7 others like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #52398 of 52686 Old 10-21-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3565 Post(s)
Liked: 11212
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Where was this? An audio show?

Looking at the model numbers maybe this is old?
I don't think that's old Ray. The big dual 18" ported subs (going back to the V3600) all had the front vent. If you look at the big sub it has the feet and no front port so it must be the down firing TV36.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #52399 of 52686 Old 10-21-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Funny thing from last night...got home ordered some delivery food and started to watch an El Chapo movie on Netflix at a decent volume , nothing too crazy but did set off the ADT alarm again ... So I saw the food guy pulling up to the driveway on my front camera (which no longer has a delay , ill get to that in a minute) , so I start to head to the front door and at that time some heavy gunfire shoot out is going on which I still think nothing of. I get to the door and the delivery guy is like leaned back ready to bolt to the opposite direction with wide open eyes! Still oblivious I say "Good Evening" , he lets out a breath and was like "Damn man that was just your movie!!?? I didnt want to come to the door!!" .... Whoops ... I guess the things we are used to , not everyone else is lol.....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOsVzSOqoQ&t=1m7s

Tom V.
Team Power.

post #52400 of 52686 Old 10-21-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
thanks everyone for the "subwoofer song" recommendations I listened to most of all them over weekend and had a great time doing so.

if anyone is looking for some songs to test the subs I came across a playlist on spotify called "sub low" and it has some really great bass heavy music with some pretty neat powerful effects that are sure to put a smile across any bass heads face lol

a few I remember off hand that were fun were

"enter the machine" by PANTyRAiD.

"power outage" by The Widdler

"deploy" by Joker

and many more I haven't herd yet (I think its about 200 songs total)

anyway have fun!!!
oneeyeblind and zambine like this.

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
post #52401 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

So when I was ordering new phones from ATT the other day , they asked if I had Internet yadda yadda...Ive always had ATT for Cell but they sucked at only 6MB p/s in my area so I never used them..I have been using Spectrums internet thru the phone line that varied at 100MB p/s but still struggled at times leading to a delay in my cameras..So the lady @ ATT tells me that they have upgraded fiber optic in my area and my house was eligible to get a direct fiber line running at 1GB p/s...I said hell yeah...Xbox1 X tested it at around 800MB download and upload! I guess you need a pretty powerful computer to run 1GB...Either way things load pretty good , but the biggest thing I can tell is in my cameras. There used to be like a 10-15 second delay , now its pretty much live.
Are you really talking about mb/s? Or are you confusing mbps vs mb/s?

I don't know how internetspeeds are in USA but here in Belgium, we only recently got the first provider with 1gbps, which result in a theoretical maximum of 125mb/s, which is hella fast!

So I would be impressed (and surprised to be honest) if you really got 800mb/s download, on an Xbox!
post #52402 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
"power outage" by The Widdler
I've seen The Widdler at a few shows over the years. If you like pre-wobble (which is when it went to garbage) dubstep you might like Distance - My Demons.

Actually that whole album is great.

The Widdler Lady Dub is good too, not sure if that's on the streamers or not.

Not super bassy but extremely ambient and works great with upmixers, but if you like that style of music I'd recommend some 2step/garage type stuff like Burial's album Untrue. Sounds amazing on a huge system.
oneeyeblind and newc33 like this.
post #52403 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
What type of sensor is going off? You keep your alarm triggered when you are at home and awake?
We have the ADT alarm that can be armed while you are inside , it just turns off the motion detector. All the windows have sensors on them that I told them to turn to low sensitivity because of the cats , didnt think about my subs!

Quote:
I will have to keep that in mind next time people are at my door that I dont want to talk too! lol...I really didnt think it was crazy loud , but like I said , we are a crazy breed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasG View Post

I don't know how internetspeeds are in USA but here in Belgium, we only recently got the first provider with 1gbps, which result in a theoretical maximum of 125mb/s, which is hella fast!

So I would be impressed (and surprised to be honest) if you really got 800mb/s download, on an Xbox!
I am easily confused so its possible lol...I attached the picture when I did my first test when it got hooked up....Let me know if I am stating something wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_185636.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2630614  
post #52404 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasG View Post

mbps and mb/s are the same thing. A lower case b is bits and an upper case B is bytes. A 1 gb/s connection could also be represented as 128 MB/s or 1024 mb/s.
rhelliott2 likes this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
post #52405 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
We have the ADT alarm that can be armed while you are inside , it just turns off the motion detector. All the windows have sensors on them that I told them to turn to low sensitivity because of the cats , didnt think about my subs!
I used to have the same problem when I had glass-breaking sensors, I have better luck with the magnetic ones with the on-door/on-window side mounted on the glass, so that if the glass broke it would trigger the alarm as well because the magnet falls.
GatoGoat likes this.
post #52406 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I used to have the same problem when I had glass-breaking sensors, I have better luck with the magnetic ones with the on-door/on-window side mounted on the glass, so that if the glass broke it would trigger the alarm as well because the magnet falls.
I may have to look into something different if it keeps doing it. Ill have to call them out to see if they can lower the sensitivity , he put it at medium if I remember correctly.
post #52407 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
00 series 18 inch models are not upgrade-able. 01 and 11 series are.

It may be a while before I can consider offering upgrades though as orders for all of the new model subs continue to be incredibly strong. Even the speaker sales have increased dramatically in the last few months. In fact we're out of stock on speakers until mid November now.

Tom V.
Team Power.
So if I order a V1812 this week delivery would not be until late November? Is my card charged right away or upon shipping? Just making sure I can afford this right now since I am opting for the 18.

Thanks!

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves - JTR Captivator 1200XS - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 2.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of Chane A1.5's, - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - ELAC B4 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #52408 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 9485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
So if I order a V1812 this week delivery would not be until late November? Is my card charged right away or upon shipping? Just making sure I can afford this right now since I am opting for the 18.

Thanks!
i believe Tom was referring specifically to those that own Legacy Models(older subs) inquiring about upgrading the drivers to the new "12" series B&C Neo 15 & 18's. I don't believe the wait is that long if you buy a "NEW" V1812.
post #52409 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
i believe Tom was referring specifically to those that own Legacy Models(older subs) inquiring about upgrading the drivers to the new "12" series B&C Neo 15 & 18's. I don't believe the wait is that long if you buy a "NEW" V1812.
Ok, I wasn't sure because he stated "In fact we're out of stock on speakers until mid November now".

Which is definitely fine, I am ok with the wait. I just upped my budget by $400 to opt for the 18 and I want to make sure I have the funds available.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves - JTR Captivator 1200XS - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 2.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of Chane A1.5's, - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - ELAC B4 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #52410 of 52686 Old 10-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
Ok, I wasn't sure because he stated "In fact we're out of stock on speakers until mid November now".

Which is definitely fine, I am ok with the wait. I just upped my budget by $400 to opt for the 18 and I want to make sure I have the funds available.
I saw in your signature you returned the Monolith 15. How come? To be clear, I think you're going to be very happy with PSA and went with PSA myself, I'm just curious about why you returned the Monolith as I've heard that is a good performer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page