Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1748 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65474Likes

post #52411 of 52603 Old 10-22-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3548 Post(s)
Liked: 11116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
Ok, I wasn't sure because he stated "In fact we're out of stock on speakers until mid November now".

Which is definitely fine, I am ok with the wait. I just upped my budget by $400 to opt for the 18 and I want to make sure I have the funds available.
When he says speakers he means the speaker line up (MTM210's and MT110's). When I was setting up my friend's order Tom told me speakers have been selling like hot cakes. Right now two guys in the speaker thread just posted they just received their speaker orders in the past day so it makes sense that Tom is out of cabinets for speakers right now.

You should be good, it sounds like subwoofers are good to go and I agree with what bassheaad said, it appears that new subs are available but because of high sales Tom will have to hold off offering upgrades for legacy products already out in the field.

I think PSA has hit warp speed with a whole new level of products and sales. It's fun to see.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

Last edited by Hopinater; 10-22-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52412 of 52603 Old 10-22-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
If I was a betting man, I'd guess Tom will invest in some CNC equipment and start making cabinets in-house once they're in that new building. That seems to be a constant bottleneck in PSA keeping inventory.

Me, I'm just waiting for news on the Value 15 and 21 to see what I'll replace the TV36ipals with - one of those, or a V1512DF
GatoGoat likes this.
post #52413 of 52603 Old 10-22-2019, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
When he says speakers he means the speaker line up (MTM210's and MT110's). When I was setting up my friend's order Tom told me speakers have been selling like hot cakes. Right now two guys in the speaker thread just posted they just received their speaker orders in the past day so it makes sense that Tom is out of cabinets for speakers right now.

You should be good, it sounds like subwoofers are good to go and I agree with what bassheaad said, it appears that new subs are available but because of high sales Tom will have to hold off offering upgrades for legacy products already out in the field.

I think PSA has hit warp speed with a whole new level of products and sales. It's fun to see.
This is true, I posted pics of my New PSA speakers on Reddit, and i got a crap ton of Private messages asking me where I got them... Then a lot of people were saying there are like THX speakers without the THX price and a lot of Reddit users ( younger millennials) thanked me for the info and they went to purchase PSA speakers. I'm very happy for Tom V , he definitely deserves this success. I just hope of one of these days he can go on vacation and not worry about his business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52414 of 52603 Old 10-22-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I don't think that's old Ray. The big dual 18" ported subs (going back to the V3600) all had the front vent. If you look at the big sub it has the feet and no front port so it must be the down firing TV36.
Correct, that's a TV36 with PSA'S non-pro drivers.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
post #52415 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
I saw in your signature you returned the Monolith 15. How come? To be clear, I think you're going to be very happy with PSA and went with PSA myself, I'm just curious about why you returned the Monolith as I've heard that is a good performer.
I got mine for a steal at 20% off during a special sale because my budget was originally $1000. Well I received the Monolith with amp issues. Spent 2 weeks trying various settings, and calibration and there was virtually no output. Turned out it was an issue that quite a few on the forums were having with some 12's and 15's. Return was a nightmare that took almost 6 weeks for a refund and I blew a day of PTO waiting for the freight driver to pick it up. I almost had them send me a replacement and then our basement flooded. They would not honor the price unless I got a replacement right away, and I literally have nowhere to put it or a way to test it, so I started to research more. It has been 6 months of our landlord dragging his feet while most of my audio equip sits covered in the garage. Its almost finished so I started looking at PSA when a friend let me hear his v1510df. I had my heart set on the V1512, but I am tired of wanting more every 6 months, so I am jumping to the v1812.

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves - JTR Captivator 1200XS - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 2.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of Chane A1.5's, - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - ELAC B4 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #52416 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Ipal36

Do you guys keep the shipping container from your IPAL36? I am struggling on where to store that beast of a box!
CallingMrBenzo and GatoGoat like this.

AV since 1980
post #52417 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked: 5598
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoDrone View Post
Do you guys keep the shipping container from your IPAL36? I am struggling on where to store that beast of a box!
I usually keep such boxes until the return window has closed at least. But then again, I have quite a few extra rooms to keep that kind of stuff in.
Mike Butny and GatoGoat like this.
post #52418 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
So if I order a V1812 this week delivery would not be until late November? Is my card charged right away or upon shipping? Just making sure I can afford this right now since I am opting for the 18.

Thanks!
they charge your card at time of order, so for me I waited over a month before my IPAL36 was delivered.
Bigbirney likes this.

AV since 1980
post #52419 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

Yes, I keep all of my boxes for electronic purchases just in case I want to sell something later, move etc. (I probably keep too many of them ). Many of my boxes are in the attic of the garage, the big ones like TV boxes and the TV36 are in my storage shed.
Bigbirney likes this.
post #52420 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
I keep all my A/V boxes. For the big ones, I break them down so they store much easier - i.e. the boxes can then lay flat. You do have to find storage for the packing materials, but that's easier than finding room for a massive box.
post #52421 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
If I was a betting man, I'd guess Tom will invest in some CNC equipment and start making cabinets in-house once they're in that new building. That seems to be a constant bottleneck in PSA keeping inventory.
When we bought our CR Onsrud it opened up a lot of doors for what we could do in house. I don't make speakers, but, cutting out speaker cabinets would be super easy... I'd imagine finishing them is more of an issue than cutting. Just a guess.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
I keep all my A/V boxes. For the big ones, I break them down so they store much easier - i.e. the boxes can then lay flat. You do have to find storage for the packing materials, but that's easier than finding room for a massive box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post
Yes, I keep all of my boxes for electronic purchases just in case I want to sell something later, move etc. (I probably keep too many of them ). Many of my boxes are in the attic of the garage, the big ones like TV boxes and the TV36 are in my storage shed.
I had to get rid of my boxes, absolutely no room for that! If I wanted to trade up I wonder if I could buy boxes from Tom and have them shipped or something?
GatoGoat likes this.
post #52422 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi Guys, I currently have dual v1811s and while they are performing well, I feel like I need more tactile response. My listening area is open and on concrete. The seating area is fairly close to the subs. Set them up using audyssey xt32. Do you think I would have noticeably more tactile response by upgrading to dual v3612s? I usually watch movies at -10 from reference. Willing to spend the money for the upgrade but not if it won’t produce a fairly noticeable tactile response difference. I have used rew and there are no significant dips or peaks... fairly flat. Also, the v1811s are not being pushed hard. Audyssey xt32 had me set the gain at 9 o’clock. The listening area is fairly large. I’m thinking audyssey would have had me set the gain higher if the room was too big for the subs? Again, they aren’t being pushed hard with the 9 o’clock gain setting from audyssey. After Audyssey was run I had sub levels of -11.5. I have them running 6db hot at -5.5. I appreciate any feedback to help me decide whether the upgrade to the dual v3612s would be worth it.
post #52423 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
When we bought our CR Onsrud it opened up a lot of doors for what we could do in house. I don't make speakers, but, cutting out speaker cabinets would be super easy... I'd imagine finishing them is more of an issue than cutting. Just a guess.

I had to get rid of my boxes, absolutely no room for that! If I wanted to trade up I wonder if I could buy boxes from Tom and have them shipped or something?
Tom did include a box for my S3000i when I was going to trade it in when I got the S36's......Dont remember if there was a charge...Thing came on its own pallet as well.
SuperFist and anjunadeep like this.
post #52424 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGoat View Post
Tom did include a box for my S3000i when I was going to trade it in when I got the S36's......Dont remember if there was a charge...Thing came on its own pallet as well.
Nice. He has thought of it all!
GatoGoat likes this.
post #52425 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6532 Post(s)
Liked: 5879
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLViking2011 View Post
Hi Guys, I currently have dual v1811s and while they are performing well, I feel like I need more tactile response. My listening area is open and on concrete. The seating area is fairly close to the subs. Set them up using audyssey xt32. Do you think I would have noticeably more tactile response by upgrading to dual v3612s? I usually watch movies at -10 from reference. Willing to spend the money for the upgrade but not if it won’t produce a fairly noticeable tactile response difference. I have used rew and there are no significant dips or peaks... fairly flat. Also, the v1811s are not being pushed hard. Audyssey xt32 had me set the gain at 9 o’clock. The listening area is fairly large. I’m thinking audyssey would have had me set the gain higher if the room was too big for the subs? Again, they aren’t being pushed hard with the 9 o’clock gain setting from audyssey. After Audyssey was run I had sub levels of -11.5. I have them running 6db hot at -5.5. I appreciate any feedback to help me decide whether the upgrade to the dual v3612s would be worth it.
If you are not pushing the V18s, you could try upping the sub trim a bit, but in an open floor plan and on concrete, I would steer you towards some form of tactile transducer. Crowsons (expensive, but plug-n-play) or The BOSS (much less expensive, DIY) are the two most popular and effective solutions around this forum.
post #52426 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
If the V1811s aren't being pushed hard, I wouldn't upgrade. Do you have a MiniDSP? I'd recommend disabling Audyssey for the LFE channel using the Editor App, and instead EQing it yourself with MiniDSP. Audyssey did terrible things with my LFE, it absolutely neutered it. If you usually listen around -10dB, then I would disable Audyssey for the LFE and turn off DEQ, then I would create your own curve in the LFE to taste. If you want more TR, then maybe have things a bit hotter in the upper bass. I mean these V1811s have a ton of headroom in that punch you in the chest zone, that's where they sing, you could absolutely boost that a bit. You'll likely end up with a curve that gets increasingly hot as the bass gets deeper (since that is where our ears are less sensitive).

Then you can add a tactile transducer to Alan's point.
Alan P likes this.
post #52427 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Unfortunately I had to get rid of mine. I had no place to keep them. If I had been able to save them, I would have traded in the subs for something smaller already :/ Not sure the logistics of buying replacement boxes for them, or how they'd be strapped down for shipment.

Has anyone traded in a V3601 or similar, without having saved the original box?
post #52428 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have kept a lot of my boxes but the TV36 iPal boxes I just cut up and put in the recycling. I knew there was no way I was going to send them back.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #52429 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You will definitely notice a difference in the TR if you moved up the the TV3612 but that's partly because of the ULF. I'm not sure what you would get from the V3612. My older V3601's didn't provide the TR I get with the TV36 iPal's. I actually forgot to turn on my Crowsons one time and didn't notice it at first because of the TR I was getting from my TV36 iPals. Having said that, the TR still does not replace what I get from having my Crowsons turned on. A concrete floor is very hard to get adequate TR just from subwoofers alone. For that reason I agree whole heartedly with what Alan wrote in the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
If you are not pushing the V18s, you could try upping the sub trim a bit, but in an open floor plan and on concrete, I would steer you towards some form of tactile transducer. Crowsons (expensive, but plug-n-play) or The BOSS (much less expensive, DIY) are the two most popular and effective solutions around this forum.
This is good advice IMO.

Last edited by Hopinater; 10-23-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #52430 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I had to get rid of mine. I had no place to keep them. If I had been able to save them, I would have traded in the subs for something smaller already :/ Not sure the logistics of buying replacement boxes for them, or how they'd be strapped down for shipment.

Yes, I have. But I don't think what I did will be helpful to you. I live six hours from PSA so I packed my V3600's carefully in our old minivan and drove them up to PSA and drove home with V3601's. It was a long day but I saved on shipping and packaging and it allowed me to meet @ahblaza (who was also going to be at PSA that day) and I also got to see Tom and Jim so it was a good day. I also took Tom and Jim a bunch of craft beers from local VA breweries as well.

post #52431 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Where are you located?

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves - JTR Captivator 1200XS - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 2.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of Chane A1.5's, - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - ELAC B4 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #52432 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
anybody in SF Bay Area for audtion? especially the "big" subs from PSA. TIA
post #52433 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofrockets View Post
anybody in SF Bay Area for audtion? especially the "big" subs from PSA. TIA

I'm in Brentwood, and I have a TV36 ipal.
rhelliott2 likes this.
post #52434 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Nice. Is it possible to audition them ?
post #52435 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 369
In response to the boxes question, I bought 2 MTM-210 's off a forum member that did not have the boxes and Tom was kind enough to ship the OEM boxes (for a price) to the fella, which in turn shipped the speakers in OEM boxes to me. Was super happy about that!

I then went and got a brand new 210c from Tom as well. He may be able to accommodate, just ask 🙂

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #52436 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
... I'd imagine finishing them is more of an issue than cutting. Just a guess.

Tom already does finishing on site.
post #52437 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

I didn't have my original v3601 boxes, but Tom charged me a little bit more on my TV36ipal preorder to include boxes to return the v3601s in. He also credited my account for some decent ratchet tie downs I bought to secure the v3601s to the pallets. It was much easier to box up the subs than I thought it would be (see attached pic). Once boxed up, I just scheduled a freight pickup and that was it. As soon as they arrived back at PSA, Tom credited my account. Their great customer service is for real.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #52438 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Tom already does finishing on site.
Yeah, I'm just saying in my experience finishing is a lot harder than cutting. If he got a decent CNC machine, they could knock cabinets out of 4x8s extremely fast. He could also get pretty creative with nesting, maybe even across multiple products, and have lower waste. A lot of times cabinet shops won't nest across multiple products because they don't know what you'll buy, and also they just charge you for the wood anyways so not much incentive. Maybe a specific sub might take a sheet and a half lets say, and they might just scrap that last piece of wood or use it for something else rather than trying to nest in another popular subs bracing or something. I'm just spitballing and pulling stuff out of my butt, but the CNCs are absolutely awesome to have in house. You can get very creative with the programming, do interesting things that a cabinet shop wouldn't bother to do. You do have to have someone watch them, but they could be doing something else (maybe assembling cabinets) while the machine runs, realistically.
Hopinater likes this.
post #52439 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofrockets View Post
Nice. Is it possible to audition them ?

Sure. PM me and we can set something up.
zeuspaul likes this.
post #52440 of 52603 Old 10-23-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Quote:
I've seen The Widdler at a few shows over the years. If you like pre-wobble (which is when it went to garbage) dubstep you might like Distance - My Demons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMHevuJGlU

Actually that whole album is great.

The Widdler Lady Dub is good too, not sure if that's on the streamers or not.

Not super bassy but extremely ambient and works great with upmixers, but if you like that style of music I'd recommend some 2step/garage type stuff like Burial's album Untrue. Sounds amazing on a huge system.
I just listened to these and also the first 4 songs on the untrue album. I wouldn't say its music I particularly like as a favorite but I do enjoy listening to this stuff when I want a change of pace in music or just looking to have fun and crank the subs or listen to the neat effects. ill finish the album this weekend. Thank you for the recommendations im always down for new material

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page