Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1765 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69613Likes

post #52921 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 10079
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGM View Post
I have just placed an order for V1512 then realized the V1812 has almost the same size box which makes me wonder if I should have gone with the bigger brother instead for $300 more?

Which one do you think is more worth buying for?

Please share your thoughts. TIA
Imo the V1512 is the better deal. The V1812 doesn't offer any deeper extension or use-able output down low. Where it will have a lot more output is in the mid-bass but with these new NEO drivers the V1512 will have more then enough mid-bass output. You will reach the low end limits before the upper end on either sub. Now if we were comparing the V1500 to V1801, I would say get the V1801 for the extra punch. I compared those 2 a couple years ago, but with these new drivers, I believe the V1512 is the ringer in the lineup for single driver ported subs.

Most the members here offering advice like to spend others money and throw the "bigger is better" advice with caution to the wind. lol
vardo, SuperFist, chucks0 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52922 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I wouldn't say that...they both have extension down into the 14-16hz range which is pretty deep(well into what is considered the ULF range). The TV36 extends another 5hz deeper...so yes it covers more of the ULF range.

That being said, I would opt for a smoother frequency response that 2+ subs can provide over 5hz difference in extension all day. I do think the deeper tuned stuff is great and why a smaller low tune option would be nice for those that can not place a TV36 size sub in their room.

Yeah, I never meant to infer that the V15 or 1812 subs were slouches by any means. In fact, I recommend the V1812 quite often. They are GREAT subs. But the TV36 series just digs deeper, and provides a ULF sensation that is addicting. If the OP has the room and the funds, I along with others think it's a good move even if it's just a single TV36.
post #52923 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post
Yeah, I never meant to infer that the V15 or 1812 subs were slouches by any means. In fact, I recommend the V1812 quite often. They are GREAT subs. But the TV36 series just digs deeper, and provides a ULF sensation that is addicting. If the OP has the room and the funds, I along with others think it's a good move even if it's just a single TV36.
Agreed...The TV36 is probably the pinnacle in all around subwoofer performance right now. I agree the lower tune has some merits being I have been comparing a JTR sub that is tuned slightly lower then a TV36 to my PSA subs that are 18hz tune. The JTR weight down low is amazing but I suspect it can not compete in the upper frequencies.

Since the V1812 is similar size to the V1512, I think it could be made taller to allow deeper tuning. Even if it shaves a couple DB output off the high end, it would be worth it for the added low end and extension. I just think with the added efficiency of the NEO drivers, the V1812 isn't holding enough advantages to warrant the extra cost. We have to remember that a single V1512 is likely similar to a pair of V1500's up top. In my room I was able to produce between 122-127db of output with a pair of 15v's near-field in the 30-80hz. With 3 15v and a 1 JTR 1200XS I am hitting 132db peaks. I have the calibration +12db over what Audy sets the subs and I have been as high as MV +5 and still didn't hear any audible stress from the subs. That is way more headroom then anybody needs above 30hz. I just did this for testing purposes...now on the other hand I have 115db capability at 11hz and 121db capability at 20hz, so the 4 subs are needed for the low end to have clean reference output in the ULF range. The 3 15v got me 115db @ 16hz and 118db @ 20hz...

Moral of the story...a pair of V1512's is going to have more output then most needs above 30hz in all but the largest rooms. The V1812 is just adding more in the same area. It needs to shift some of that output and extension to the left of the frequency response. We have to keep in mind that these NEO 15's are similar to many 18's far as output capability in the mid-upper bass. JM2C

Last edited by basshead81; 12-06-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52924 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2856
I say ditch the 18hz tune, make all the subs the same tune but offer single driver options for less cost for those that can't spring for the big boys. I really believe the lower extension you go without sacrificing the midbass is a big difference. It is one thing to rely on the room for low end but when you can do it with a port then any room can have deep extension and weight. Everytime I build something without extension I immediately miss it even if the midbass is better. That is just me though.
toddct, SuperFist, Dave Ol and 3 others like this.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
post #52925 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:

Since the V1812 is similar size to the V1512, I think it could be made taller to allow deeper tuning. Even if it shaves a couple DB output off the high end, it would be worth it for the added low end and extension. I just think with the added efficiency of the NEO drivers, the V1812 isn't holding enough advantages to warrant the extra cost. We have to remember that a single V1512 is likely similar to a pair of V1500's up top. In my room I was able to produce between 122-127db of output with a pair of 15v's near-field in the 30-80hz. With 3 15v and a 1 JTR 1200XS I am hitting 132db peaks. I have the calibration +12db over what Audy sets the subs and I have been as high as MV +5 and still didn't hear any audible stress from the subs. That is way more headroom then anybody needs above 30hz. I just did this for testing purposes...now on the other hand I have 115db capability at 11hz and 121db capability at 20hz, so the 4 subs are needed for the low end to have clean reference output in the ULF range. The 3 15v got me 115db @ 16hz and 118db @ 20hz...

Moral of the story...a pair of V1512's is going to have more output then most needs above 30hz in all but the largest rooms. The V1812 is just adding more in the same area. It needs to shift some of that output and extension to the left of the frequency response. We have to keep in mind that these NEO 15's are similar to many 18's far as output capability in the mid-upper bass. JM2C

All of this reminds me of when I got the AE PR kits years ago. I had the option of AV15H drivers, 2500G PR for a 16 hz tune, or AV15X/1600g PR's for 20 hz and some additional output. I opted for the first and have never regretted it, the extra extension is great and I doubt if I've ever tapped out the subs in normal use.
basshead81 and Hopinater like this.
post #52926 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 8
S1812 vs V1212 vs next level up

My wife and I are buying our first set of quality speakers and I am having a hard time picking a sub, partially due to size constraints. I can only really fit one big sub in my room and it will be between the couch and the wall about halfway up a 30 ft. room. Our room is large and has 2 story vaulted ceilings. We watch more TV/movies then anything else but we are more looking to fill out the bottom end of our Zu Audio Omen DW MkII's sound wise. We have neighbors close by and won't be cranking the system but we want to be sure to have clarity in our music. My wife really does not want the house vibrating or shaking and became concerned with some of the review videos I was watching where they were doing sweeps to show the power of the ported subs. That has me thinking that maybe sealed would be best for my wife but I worry our room it too big for a single ported sub. To be honest, I want to feel some effects from movies but I sure don't want my wife to feel like I overdid it and want to send back the sub.

What do you all think would be best for us and why?

S1812 seems like a good sealed sub. Would I be better served by spending some more for the S3012 and it's duel 15" drivers.

We could also do the V1812 if ported would be better for our room. Would the V18 IPAL be worth the extra for us. Sounds like an impressive driver but we are probably not going to be pushing the max of this thing and would rather have clarity then max power so maybe the IPAL would that better and would be worth it for us.

Thanks.

Last edited by ABuilder; 12-06-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #52927 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 6714 Post(s)
Liked: 6274
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPannyMan View Post
Really need some help with sub placement info, please see the attached photos for reference. If you look at my room diagram you can see that because of the 4 foot opening to the kitchen and family room I am dealing with a huge area 6500^3+ and then throw in WAF that wants the subs out of sight, plus there really isn't room to place one up front. I had ordered a set of Rythmik FV18 paper cone subs and after thinking about the fact the only location I have for placement is directly behind the sofa I canceled the order and here's why. I realized that only having a nearfield placement would be good for TR especially given the cu ft involved as the subs would be 2 inches from the back of the sofa. But I was informed by several members that having both FV18's behind the couch laying on their side practically touching, so as to not be seen thru the window behind(again WAF), that I would not be getting the help of having duals by placing them in opposite corners or at least a distance from each other. In effect I was just doing one big sub behind the couch at a cost of $3348. So I decided to cancel the 2 subs and go with a dual cabinet setup. Was going to go with the Rythmik FV25hp because of the extension but started researching around and saw the new TV3612 with its lower extension and of course its great midbass, laid on its side behind the sofa was going to be real tight because I only have 26" of space to the wall (again WAF). So I came up with the idea to take the mounting feet from the bottom and mount them on the front corners and make the first TV3612DF sub. I've been talking with Tom and he said its doable and was going to check this weekend about using the existing holes for the grille and mounting them there. But I know the guy is swamped with other projects so here is my question, finally. Looking at the picture could I stand the sub up in the left rear corner facing forward,backward or even sideways(open for suggestions) and still get all the TR I would get versus placing it behind the sofa. I should mention we are on a suspended wood floor which should help, but don't really have any other placement areas other than behind the sofa or left rear corner which you can see is right next to the sofa, sub would actually be slightly touching the rear corner of the sofa. I just ordered the TV3612 about an hour ago and told Tom not to bother trying to see if the feet will work in the grille hole spots, I can always get some 3" thick foam for the corners which was Toms plan B or I will tap the holes myself, but I'm really interested in seeing what members here think about just placing it in that rear corner spot. Really appreciate input from the members here, thanks in advance.
I'm going to recommend sealed subs for your space, and here's why; that 4' opening is barely going to effect your total cubic footage if at all. In a space that small, excessive room gain could make the LT subs overwhelming on the low end.

IMO, that space is screaming for dual S3012s. They could easily be used as end tables at either end of the couch (if the wife isn't too attached to the stack of old [sorry, "vintage"] luggage ). You can dress them up a bit with some rustic wood panels placed on top, or cover them with table cloths, or....etc etc etc.

And, in the future if you found you wanted MOAR, you could easily add another (or two!) behind the couch without having to figure out how to lay them down.
vardo, ahblaza, basshead81 and 1 others like this.
post #52928 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Audio Pack Rat

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuilder View Post
My wife and I are buying our first set of quality speakers and I am having a hard time picking a sub, partially due to size constrains. I can only really fit one big sub in my room and it will be between the couch and the wall about halfway up a 30 ft. room. Out room is large and has 2 story vaulted ceilings. We watch more TV/movies then anything else but we are more looking to fill out the bottom end of our Zu Audio Omen DW MkII's sound wise. We have neighbors close by and won't be cranking the system but we want to be sure to have clarity in our music. My wife really does not want the house vibrating or shaking and became concerned with some of the review videos I was watching where they were doing sweeps to show the power of the ported subs. That has me thinking that maybe sealed would be best for my wife but I worry our room it too big for a single ported sub. To be honest, I want to feel some effects from movies but I sure don't want my wife to feel like I overdid it and want to send back the sub.

S1812 seems like a good sealed sub. Would I be better served by spending some more for the S3012 and it's duel 15" drivers.

Could also do the V1812 if ported would be better for our room. Would the V18 IPAL be worth the extra for us. Sounds like an impressive driver but we are probably not going to be pushing the max of this thing and would rather have clarity then max power so maybe the IPAL would that better and would be worth it for us.

Thanks.
Sounds like you have a very large room. With that in mind a large dual driver sub is the way to go if you can only fit one in the room. You really don't need the Ipal version in my opinion based on your stated needs.
ANY sub-woofer whether you have 1 or 10 of them can have the volume adjusted independently from the speakers so that house vibrations should not be an issue.

HT Info
Spoiler!
post #52929 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Agreed...The TV36 is probably the pinnacle in all around subwoofer performance right now. I agree the lower tune has some merits being I have been comparing a JTR sub that is tuned slightly lower then a TV36 to my PSA subs that are 18hz tune. The JTR weight down low is amazing but I suspect it can not compete in the upper frequencies.

Interesting take! Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to trade in my dual S1801's for dual V1512's?

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #52930 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Imo the V1512 is the better deal. The V1812 doesn't offer any deeper extension or use-able output down low. Where it will have a lot more output is in the mid-bass but with these new NEO drivers the V1512 will have more then enough mid-bass output. You will reach the low end limits before the upper end on either sub. Now if we were comparing the V1500 to V1801, I would say get the V1801 for the extra punch. I compared those 2 a couple years ago, but with these new drivers, I believe the V1512 is the ringer in the lineup for single driver ported subs.

Most the members here offering advice like to spend others money and throw the "bigger is better" advice with caution to the wind. lol
But the greater headroom and efficiency of the 18 should allow one to craft a house curve with more ULF.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #52931 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGM View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I have another question though. I'm concerned with what this guy said about room size vs speaker size. Is the 18 too much for my room size?

Room size : 9.5' x 13' x 7.75'

https://youtu.be/f_DbZ_KVFiI
FYI I have an S3000 and an S3600 in a room smaller than yours - 8' x 12' x 7.5' - (and a Very Near Field Velodyne DD15) and I have extension down into the single digits. I can hear my door rocking to a 4Hz sine wave (I'm also on a suspended floor). I have the gain low and I'm flat to 7hz. The subs are hardly working and I could probably get the same with just one of them but they make a nice pair. What I also know is that, because there's so little stress on them, distortion is very low.

You can always turn a big sub down, you can only turn a small sub up so far.

The 15 and the 18 have a different sound. It could be because I've got the 3000 on an acoustic plinth but the 3600 has more weight to it. Same volume, same frequency, different sound. Bone crushing is how someone described it here, that's pretty good. It's heavier and more intense. But the 3000 goes about 2Hz deeper, because of the dsp apparently.
SuperFist, ahblaza, LGWGM and 2 others like this.
post #52932 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu fan View Post
I’ll be upgrading my subs in February. Was planning on duals, V1512’s, possibly V1812’s. Now I’m looking at a single V36 Ipal, or TV36 Ipal Any thoughts on a single Ipal vs dual neos? If I go single Ipal, I may not get a 2nd. Have other priorities. Thanks for any thoughts fellas.
Like @Dave Ol , I have a single TV36 iPal in a large open basement and am very happy. Prior to the TV36, I had dual V1811 subs and before that, dual V1501 subs. The decision between dual smaller subs and one larger more capable sub is always room dependent. It is especially difficult when you are comparing subs with different capabilities. If the choice were between a single V3611 and dual V1811, I would say go with duals every single time. With the TV36, it isn't as simple since the lower tuning point of the TV36 allows it to play frequencies that the V1811 can't. You are choosing between the following:

1. A single large lower tuned sub that is guaranteed to dig deeper than the two smaller subs but MIGHT result in a rougher frequency response (depending on the acoustics of the room and placement options).

2. Dual smaller subs that are tuned higher and guaranteed not to dig as deep but SHOULD result in a smoother frequency response (depending on the acoustics of the room and placement options).

IN MY ROOM, option 1 was the best choice. My frequency response is still pretty flat with a single sub and I am able to reach depths that my none of my duals could have.
osu fan, ahblaza, Dave Ol and 1 others like this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
post #52933 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Thanks guys. Looks like the TV36 Ipal's the best choice. My room is the lower level in our split level home.
Dave Ol and Hopinater like this.

Video Samsung UN65KS8000, Sony UBP-UX80
Audio Denon X4500H, PSA MTM-210T, MTM-210C, MT-110 X2, SVS PB12NSD & SVS PB1-ISD
post #52934 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu fan View Post
Thanks guys. Looks like the TV36 Ipal's the best choice. My room is the lower level in our split level home.
If you can fit it, go for it. Once I get a dedicated theater room I'll definitely be getting dual TV36ipal or TV42iPals.
oneeyeblind and Hopinater like this.

Living Room: 5.1.2 PSA MT110L/R | PSA MTM210C | Polk TSi100 S/R | Atmos in-ceiling Mag6R
SUB: PSA V1512
RECEIVER: Denon X3400H
DISPLAY: Vizio P65-C1
SOURCES, MISC, & 2ch: Xbox One X, Harmony Elite, Aircom T10, Chane A1.5 & AD18
post #52935 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
My wife and I are buying our first set of quality speakers and I am having a hard time picking a sub, partially due to size constraints. I can only really fit one big sub in my room and it will be between the couch and the wall about halfway up a 30 ft. room. Our room is large and has 2 story vaulted ceilings. We watch more TV/movies then anything else but we are more looking to fill out the bottom end of our Zu Audio Omen DW MkII's sound wise. We have neighbors close by and won't be cranking the system but we want to be sure to have clarity in our music. My wife really does not want the house vibrating or shaking and became concerned with some of the review videos I was watching where they were doing sweeps to show the power of the ported subs. That has me thinking that maybe sealed would be best for my wife but I worry our room it too big for a single ported sub. To be honest, I want to feel some effects from movies but I sure don't want my wife to feel like I overdid it and want to send back the sub.

We could also do the V1812 if ported would be better for our room. Would the V18 IPAL be worth the extra for us. Sounds like an impressive driver but we are probably not going to be pushing the max of this thing and would rather have clarity then max power so maybe the IPAL would that better and would be worth it for us.

Thanks.

First off, I’m glad you are continuing to search for the right sub and have come to this thread for more opinions. There are a lot of great folks on this thread that can give you some good advice. Second, don’t let the videos scare you or your wife away from a ported sub. A lot of the videos are from bassheads that are trying to show how well their sub can perform. However, YOU don’t have to play it that loud. Also, PSA subs have a “room size” control on the amp that allows you to control the amount of low frequency bass to you and your wife’s liking.

As I have said before, your room is VERY large. And your listening habits are 70% HT/TV. As such, I think a ported sub might work best for you in my opinion. That being said, I can’t answer how the S3012 with its dual drivers would do against a single V1812. I believe the V1812 might still give you more tactical response (TR) since it is ported, but not sure. If it were me, I think I would still go ported. I tried a sealed sub during my journey (SVS SB16 Ultra) and it just didn’t provide the TR I wanted to feel in my very large room like yours. Either way, you are going to have to use restraint when using your system when the wife is in another part of the house and not listening with you (it’s not just a ported sub issue). My wife can’t stand it when I’m playing my system loud while she is upstairs. She’ll often say “turn that damn thing down, you’re shaking the whole damn house”. However, she enjoys the heck out of the sub when watching a movie with me, even at a louder volume than what gets her riled up while upstairs! She says the experience is more immersive and she can “feel” the bass instead of just hearing it. You might be surprised how much you wife might actually enjoy a sub that has clean, tight accurate bass and not just a one note boom box. And as far as music goes, the ported PSA subs will sound just fine.

With regards to the 12 series subs vs. the ipal models, the ipals are impressive indeed. However, they are probably only giving you an extra 10%-20% in performance, something you may not even notice. For me, I did go with an ipal (TV36) simply because I wanted the best and didn’t want to always be wondering “what if”. That “what if” bug in my ear is the main reason I have upgraded my sub 3 times over the past several years and a lot of money out of pocket in doing so. But I’m finally happy now.
ahblaza, Hopinater and ABuilder like this.
post #52936 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked: 11708
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I say ditch the 18hz tune, make all the subs the same tune but offer single driver options for less cost for those that can't spring for the big boys. I really believe the lower extension you go without sacrificing the midbass is a big difference. It is one thing to rely on the room for low end but when you can do it with a port then any room can have deep extension and weight. Everytime I build something without extension I immediately miss it even if the midbass is better. That is just me though.
I agree with you... IMO, in the last couple of years everything has changed in the bass world. Back in the day (a couple of years ago) I along with others pointed out that extension was nice but it cost a lot to get it. ULF requires serious output to experience in a meaningful way... 105dB at 60Hz seems a lot louder than at 20Hz. So in most cases pursuing extension required a lot of money, usually in the form of multiple sealed subs. And since 90% of the content out there dropped off around 25 to 30Hz it really didn't make sense to pursue it in most cases.

Then the world of bass changed when the low tuned ported subs started surfacing. And I knew pretty early on I wanted one because I had read enough testimonials and talked with enough people who had switched to LT subs and they said the same thing, the bass had more weight and slam to it than the higher tuned subs, even with material that wasn't extending below 25 to 30 Hz. So the LT ported subs made deep extension with serious output much more affordable. But that still didn't change the fact that 90% of the material dropped off between 25 to 30Hz.

Then the second big bass change came along. BEQ hit the mainstream of AVS and suddenly we had TONS of content that extended into the single digits. And thanks to guys like @aron7awol and @PioManiac (and others), detailed instructions on how to setup and experience BEQ were released and within a year there were over a 1000 movies with BEQ enhancement. Game changer.

So now here we are....We are at a point in time where it just makes sense to pursue ULF. Within a few short years chasing extension has become more affordable and well worth it because of all the content that takes advantage of the ability to dig deep. And the beauty of the PSA subs with the B&C drivers is we can get subs that dig deep with authority and STILL provide the mid bass that PSA is known for.
Alan P, ahblaza, Dave Ol and 4 others like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #52937 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Since of you talk about High end speakers and listening for clarity in music but you have no intention of pushing the sub really hard I would get the "12" series of what ever you end up getting. The iPal version is only really worth it if you push the sub hard.

You have a large room so I would lean towards ported but I will say, I have a single S1801 in a large space and it does very well. It's in our living room where we don't look for earth shattering bass but still want noticeable high quality bass and that single sealed sub does wonderful. So the S1812 may very well be a good choice if your wife wants to stay away from ported subs.
ABuilder likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #52938 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
But the greater headroom and efficiency of the 18 should allow one to craft a house curve with more ULF.
The V1500 and V1801 didn't have much difference in headroom capability below 30hz from what I found. If you look at the compression sweeps between those 2 subs the V1500 is actually better. The V1801 had more headroom up top. Perhaps things might be different with the Neo's but I think the cab is a little on the small side with the V18 so results are likely to trend the same way between the V1512 and V1812.
rhelliott2 likes this.

Last edited by basshead81; 12-06-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #52939 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
Interesting take! Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to trade in my dual S1801's for dual V1512's?
Depends on what you are looking for. You will maintain similar upper end capability with significantly more 15-30hz headroom....I am sure even being ported the Neo's would SQ improvements along with lower distortion at higher playback levels.
sk373 and rhelliott2 like this.
post #52940 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I would lean towards the S3012. I can't comment on sound adequacy or quality because there are so many on this thread that have more knowledge than I. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the PSA recommendations you have received so far. Don't worry about having too much sub and shaking the house. You have control over the settings in particular the volume/trim control which you are concerned about. I would look at aesthetics, something wives care about (me too). Behind the couch gives you more freedom because it is not too visible. The S3012 is narrower than the 18s and might be an advantage because of available width behind a couch and it is a handsome unit. It comes in finish options which most of the others do not. Don't discount possibly liking bass and the S3012 will give you the option of using the extra headroom if you choose to after you have *fallen in love* with bass. It can be an acquired taste. You are better off with the extra capability even if you don't think you need it now.

Quote:

Thanks.
ahblaza and ABuilder like this.

Spoiler!

Last edited by zeuspaul; 12-06-2019 at 06:37 PM.
post #52941 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 4506
I'm with Basshead....if I were buying non "lunatic" ported subs, I'd probably opt for the V1512 over the V1812. I think the cab size of the V15xx is more ideally suited for the driver and will have equivalent or even better extension, whereas the cab for the 18xx is rather undersized for a ported 18 imo, or to be more politically correct, less optimally sized. The big advantage the 18xx used to have over the 15 was, as BH81 said, a lot of output capability over 30 Hz, which definitely does matter. The sensitivity of the new pro driver should make the V1512 a very stout performer up top with equivalent, possibly better, low end performance but not sure if the new 15" has more excursion capability than the old Lab15 driver. Definitely should have lots more motor force though, which makes it very well suited for a ported cab.

I'll bet these new subs, if Tom ever decides to send a few to Data-Bass, will be the new low distortion leaders in the sub market. At least equivalent if not better than servo controlled subs, since another way to have extremely low distortion and high fidelity is to just use better drivers. Which are now standard on all PSA subs.

I also think the S3012 should be looked at very hard for anyone looking for sealed subs. The dual 15's should match or exceed a single 18, with a smaller, narrower, and totally inert cab. I would gladly replace my sealed 18's with a pair of dual opposed 15's due to the smaller form factor, if I were willing to spend the money to do so.
post #52942 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 5164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I'm with Basshead....if I were buying non "lunatic" ported subs, I'd probably opt for the V1512 over the V1812. I think the cab size of the V15xx is more ideally suited for the driver and will have equivalent or even better extension, whereas the cab for the 18xx is rather undersized for a ported 18 imo, or to be more politically correct, less optimally sized. The big advantage the 18xx used to have over the 15 was, as BH81 said, a lot of output capability over 30 Hz, which definitely does matter. The sensitivity of the new pro driver should make the V1512 a very stout performer up top with equivalent, possibly better, low end performance but not sure if the new 15" has more excursion capability than the old Lab15 driver. Definitely should have lots more motor force though, which makes it very well suited for a ported cab.

I'll bet these new subs, if Tom ever decides to send a few to Data-Bass, will be the new low distortion leaders in the sub market. At least equivalent if not better than servo controlled subs, since another way to have extremely low distortion and high fidelity is to just use better drivers. Which are now standard on all PSA subs.

I also think the S3012 should be looked at very hard for anyone looking for sealed subs. The dual 15's should match or exceed a single 18, with a smaller, narrower, and totally inert cab. I would gladly replace my sealed 18's with a pair of dual opposed 15's due to the smaller form factor, if I were willing to spend the money to do so.
What about the s3612's? Strongly considering replacing my s3601's with them.
post #52943 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I currently have dual S3000 and have dual S3600 Ipal on order.

If Ipal was available in a 15 inch, or didn't exist at all (meaning my choice was Neo 15 v neo 18) I probably would have went with S3012 neo to save a few bucks and an entire day of driving to swap.

But seeing as the Ipal exist, I figure what the hell... lets rock!
rhelliott2 likes this.
post #52944 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
What about the s3612's? Strongly considering replacing my s3601's with them.
If you can accommodate the larger cab size, I think these will simply be a step up from the S3012 in overall output. I think, very confidently, that the new S3012 will be noticeably superior to the Seaton Submersive in every way, and still quite a bit cheaper. And with a company that you actually want to do business with.

The S3012 I think checks a lot of boxes for folks..again...if I were willing to spend the coin I would gladly switch from my single sealed 18's to dual opposed 15's using similar driver quality, but then my setup is in my main living room and smaller form factor matters to me. Once I get a few more things squared away with my setup(I'm close to what I consider my ideal system in all ways), I would be opposed to building D/O 15's if I could sell my 18's to fund the project, even though it wouldn't be an upgrade per se.

I'd do the math to be sure, but my "off the top of my head" estimate says that dual 15's with 16.5 mm Xmax, or 33mm total, will outperform a single 18 with 16-19mm xmax. Quite a bit more cone area and more total excursion FTW.
basshead81 likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 12-06-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #52945 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
If you can accommodate the larger cab size, I think these will simply be a step up from the S3012 in overall output. I think, very confidently, that the new S3012 will be noticeably superior to the Seaton Submersive in every way, and still quite a bit cheaper. And with a company that you actually want to do business with.

The S3012 I think checks a lot of boxes for folks..again...if I were willing to spend the coin I would gladly switch from my single sealed 18's to dual opposed 15's using similar driver quality, but then my setup is in my main living room and smaller form factor matters to me. Once I get a few more things squared away with my setup(I'm close to what I consider my ideal system in all ways), I would be opposed to building D/O 15's if I could sell my 18's to fund the project, even though it wouldn't be an upgrade per se.

I'd do the math to be sure, but my "off the top of my head" estimate says that dual 15's with 16.5 mm Xmax, or 33mm total, will outperform a single 18 with 16-19mm xmax. Quite a bit more cone area and more total excursion FTW.
I can definitely accommodate the size, I would imagine the s3612 iPal are the same size as my s3601's. I could just get the driver/amp upgrade instead of boxing everything up as well.
post #52946 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
I think the S1812 is a great sealed sub. However, if you end up going with a single sealed sub, I'd go with the S3012 without the slightest hesitation. Here's why, although this doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

Single 18....254in^2 surface area with 16.5mm total xmax
Dual 15's, 350in^2 surface area with 33mm total xmax(16.5 x 2)

The S3012 also has double the power of the S1812 and should have higher sensitivity as well. The cab is narrower with the smaller drivers, and 100% inert from the dual opposed design in case you want to put things on top of the subs. A single driver, 18" sealed sub when pushed will dance items off of the top.

However, in your large space, a ported sub will definitely provide a lot more feel for movies, which can always be toned down as much as you want.

With the new drivers, I think all of PSA's subs are going to offer superb sound quality on music.

Were it me, being new to subs and not knowing for sure which would be perfect, I'd order a S3012 and a V1512, demo them both, and eat shipping on whichever one you send back. No second guessing.

Last edited by bear123; 12-06-2019 at 06:06 PM.
post #52947 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I also watch mostly TV/movies even though I have a good supply of Blu-rays. It is simply more convenient and there is a good selection from the premium movie channels with DirecTV. I know I can select a higher quality audio with the disc but DirecTV satellite quality is actually very good. My issue with TVs and bass is the daytime shows. If you and your wife watch news shows and the like and of course the commercials sometimes you'll find the bass annoying. The sound engineers (if they have them for daytime TV?) generally don't do a very good job of integrating the bass with the show. You may want to toggle the subwoofer off during the day. Generally evening shows such as Chicago PD have very good bass and the subs will add to the experience.

Quote:

Thanks.
ahblaza and ABuilder like this.

Spoiler!
post #52948 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hmmmm... you bring up some nice points and you are right... in fact I think you and Bear both have valid points.

But I still would still choose an 18" driver every time simply because I have heard 15" drivers and I have heard 18" drivers and they definitely present differently. I've also read reports from DIY guys who have gone to 21" drivers and even 24" drivers and every time they report the same thing, you step up in driver size and the bass seems to penetrate deeper and deeper into your very soul. To me that's worth the extra price of admission.

It's probably a TR thing but the the bass delivered from a larger driver definitely seems more crushing, just like the the bass from a LT sub seems to carry more weight (even with bass that has little to no ULF). I don't know why this is but I have definitely noticed it... as have others. We all may be crazy but I find that hard to believe.
Dave Ol likes this.

post #52949 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
Decided to let er' RIP a bit tonight. Fun when the house is empty and you're in the mood for rap/bass music Good for the soul, right?
https://youtu.be/w2tX2sit6_U
post #52950 of 54010 Old 12-06-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
Decided to let er' RIP a bit tonight. Fun when the house is empty and you're in the mood for rap/bass music Good for the soul, right?

https://youtu.be/w2tX2sit6_U
Good to see you back posting dawg! I think sometimes we get caught up in the upgrade craziness and forget just how sweet our current subs are
GatoGoat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s1512 , s3000i , S3600i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , v1512 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page