Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1768 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69555Likes

post #53011 of 53984 Old 12-09-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 10079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I'm really looking forward to what he has to say, but I'm sorry, he has only posted initial impressions. He hasn't done a proper comparison yet, has not shared any measurements or posted longer term impressions. And, the Rythmik was set to low damping, which is going to give a high Q value like other subs.

We should not be jumping up conclusions just yet. Let's give him some time.
Lol ok...all I said is his post was informative. I didn't say say it should be notorized.
gbreda and drh3b like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53012 of 53984 Old 12-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Id be looking @ $2500 out of pocket to upgrade the 3 S3601s to NEO's...Which it sounds like it would be worth the upgrade , but still be out 2500 cash....The GF wont bite on that $$$ amount , or actually any $$$ amount right now...But she also hasnt complained after the initial shock of the stacked S30 and S36 , so I think Ive gotten her used to the size which has to be close to the TV36 height.....I know I cant get a straight trade for all 4 subs since shipping takes up a good chunk of value , thinking about trying a local bundle sale of the 4 subs for at least $5200 but I have a feeling that will be difficult...It may just be easier to start hiding the money from the GF to pay for the trade-in difference lol...
post #53013 of 53984 Old 12-09-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 382 Post(s)
Quoted: 5680 Post(s)
Liked: 11300
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutcheck2001 View Post
So after discussing things with a contractor i believe it may be possible to get a single TV42 on its side under my TV. I’d have to move my Amps and I would forever be limited to a single sub. That’s gotta be ok though no? I mean my god.

I'm curious to know why you would always be limited to a single subwoofer if you laid a TV42 on its side under your TV. Are you strictly limited to having subwoofers on your front soundstage, or is it possible that a smaller sub could be located somewhere else in your room if necessary?

The reason that I ask is because output is not the sole consideration when trying to decide how many subwoofers to buy. Sometimes a single subwoofer gives you an excellent frequency response on its own, and the center location should take care of any bass localization issues. In other instances though, dual subs can really help you to hear all of the frequencies, without excessive dips or peaks at random frequencies.

If you are going to be limited to a single sub, the TV42 is an awfully good choice. It should give you bass in spades! But, if you are not certain that a single sub located at the center of your front wall will give you the frequency response and corresponding bass sound quality that you want, then I might explore my options a little more before making a final decision. Something you could do is to take an existing sub, lay it on its side under the TV, and determine whether it performs well there. If it does, then I think you are good to go.

Something else to bear in mind, for the future, is that now that the roughly 14Hz port tune is standardized on the low-tuned PSA models, you may have other sub options later that you could pair with your TV42 if necessary. For instance, somewhere down the road, you might add a smaller sub behind your listening chair to smooth the frequency response. The total output of the two subs would be different, but as long as the shape of the frequency response was similar, proximity to your listening position (for both SPL and TR) would help to make up the disparity in total output.

These are all just things that you might wish to consider, as you weigh your options, and make your final decision.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53014 of 53984 Old 12-09-2019, 06:23 PM

Just to note the TV42 looks to be tuned to extend deeper then the TV36.

TV42- +/-3db 11-150hz

TV36- +/-3db 14-150hz
post #53015 of 53984 Old 12-09-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 382 Post(s)
Quoted: 5680 Post(s)
Liked: 11300
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

TV42- +/-3db 11-150hz

TV36- +/-3db 14-150hz

Thanks, Bass! That's interesting. I don't think that implies that the TV42 is actually tuned deeper than the TV36 though. I suspect that the port tune is the same, and if so, that's somewhat more important for potential cancellation somewhere around the port tune. I think that it simply means that the TV42 continues to carry more SPL a little deeper than the TV36 does.

In most rooms, frequencies below about 15-20Hz won't be as subject to room modes as higher bass frequencies would be, so a difference in SPL (and therefore in FR shape) at the lower bass frequencies won't be quite as significant as cancellation at the tuning point would be. At least, I believe that would be generally correct.

I think that a good analogy would involve comparing the Cap 4000ULF and the Cap 2400ULF. They are both tuned to about 10 or 11Hz, but the Cap 4000 has more SPL at 10Hz, and it continues to extend a little deeper. And yet, because the tuning point is the same, they seem to be able to pair well in a room.

This issue of different tuning points, creating potential cancellation, seems to be a little complicated though. I know that you aren't getting cancellation from your low-tuned JTR sub, paired with your much higher tuned PSA subs. And, I have seen the same thing with mid-bass modules paired with low-tuned subs. But, subs with port tunes only a few Hz apart seem to be much more subject to cancellation at about the port tune of the higher of the two, from what I have seen.

I'm not sure whether anyone has come up with any sort of formula, or rule-of-thumb, to explain how much difference in port tune is actually problematical. If so, I haven't seen one. My best thought at the moment is either to have the port tunes very close together, or pretty far apart, as they are in your room. But, even if that were generally correct, placement within a given room might still be a factor.

Regards,
Mike
ahblaza likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #53016 of 53984 Old 12-09-2019, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
The TV42 does have a lower port tune than the TV36.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - No projector at the moment :(* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #53017 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 148
From purely a performance and value perspective (aesthetics does not matter), which is the better value - the V1512 or the V1512DF? I have a 12' wide by 32' long x 8' tall space (about 3000 ft3 due to a utility closet in the back). I see a lot of people raving about the quality of the V1512 but haven't seen anyone comment on the downfiring model, although my understanding is that they are pretty close in output above 20 Hz and the V1512 extends a bit farther to 16Hz. Also, can the downfiring model be used with any flooring type (My room is carpeted over a concrete foundation)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jasonwc07; 12-10-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #53018 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc07 View Post
From purely a performance and value perspective (aesthetics does not matter), which is the better value - the V1512 or the V1512DF? I have a 12' wide by 32' long x 8' tall space (about 3000 ft3 due to a utility closet in the back). I see a lot of people raving about the quality of the V1512 but haven't seen anyone comment on the downfiring model, although my understanding is that they are pretty close in output above 20 Hz and the V1512 extends a bit farther to 16Hz. Also, can the downfiring model be used with any flooring type (My room is carpeted over a concrete foundation)? Thanks in advance!
I have had owned 3 of the older down-firing models for 6yrs(XV15 base plate, then upgraded drivers and amps to SE/Ice in 2016). They are on carpeted over concrete being used as end tables. Great subs that offer lots of placement options. Here is my thought....if you are planning on near field placement, I would get the down firing. If they are going to be placed along the front stage then the V1512 might be a better choice for the extra couple HZ extension and you can see the Neo's in action. That being said, don't place them where they look the best, place them where they work the best if possible.
post #53019 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
I have had owned 3 of the older down-firing models for 6yrs(XV15 base plate, then upgraded drivers and amps to SE/Ice in 2016). They are on carpeted over concrete being used as end tables. Great subs that offer lots of placement options. Here is my thought....if you are planning on near field placement, I would get the down firing. If they are going to be placed along the front stage then the V1512 might be a better choice for the extra couple HZ extension and you can see the Neo's in action. That being said, don't place them where they look the best, place them where they work the best if possible.
Due to the size of my 123" 16:9 projector screen and the width of my room, the subwoofer would have to be placed on its side to go in the front, and even then, it couldn't be placed in a corner. So, that leaves me with options behind my seating position, nearfield or otherwise.
post #53020 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc07 View Post
Due to the size of my 123" 16:9 projector screen and the width of my room, the subwoofer would have to be placed on its side to go in the front, and even then, it couldn't be placed in a corner. So, that leaves me with options behind my seating position, nearfield or otherwise.
Nothing wrong with placing subs on their sides if need be. You could lay a TV36 on it's side if you have the floor space.
Alan P, Mike Butny and oneeyeblind like this.
post #53021 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3628 Post(s)
Liked: 11693
Quote:

TV42- +/-3db 11-150hz

TV36- +/-3db 14-150hz
I didn't know this but it doesn't surprise me at all. I know with the TV36 Tom didn't randomly choose the port tune, he's chose it based on what port tune had the best overall sound to his ear when he was experimenting with the design. IIRC this means trying out all sorts of different material with the prototype sub while using different port configurations and DSP settings etc. I would imagine he used the same process with the TV42. So I guess the bigger sub with the more powerful amp, larger drivers etc allowed for a deeper port tune.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #53022 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nothing wrong with placing subs on their sides if need be. You could lay a TV36 on it's side if you have the floor space.
Yep, nothing wrong with it at all... in fact I think we all should do what ever it takes to get the biggest baddest subwoofer we can to fit in our room. Stand it up, lay it down, knock out a wall, hang it from the ceiling... just do whatever you have to do.

Oh wait... this is the PSA subwoofer thread, you guys already do whatever you have to do to get your subs in the house... After all, @Climber used a whole mountain climbing rig to winch his S7201 up the stairs to his HT. Then @flat4 took out a 2nd story window and used a bobcat to lift his S7201's up to the 2nd story so they could put the subs through the window opening. And let's not forget the day @newc33 drove something like 800 miles to pick up his four T18's so he so could put all four of them (that's 1600 watts and twelve 18" drivers) in his 1200 cuft room.... AND he posted updates from the road so we could follow his adventure. And those are just a few of our stories.

You gotta love the "what ever it takes attitude" that exists around here.... I LIKE IT!

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #53023 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What's going on with this humming or noise floor issue regarding these new drivers? I'm looking buy new subs and really only consider a couple, maybe three manufactures tops. I just bought a house and am looking for two powerful sealed subs for my family room (not a dedicated theater room but WAF is generous due to bribery) I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as most of you guys and just want to find the best pair of sealed subs and be done with sub forums. No offence, but I have other hobbies that need attention. I love reading some of this stuff (sometimes) but it gets monotonous after a while and I find it difficult to weed through all the fanboy posts trying to find pertinent information. My question is, do these new drivers have noise issues? I know some of you don't care about a barely audible "humming" or "fan like sound" as some have put it, but I do care and don't want any audible sound that shouldn't be there. I want to buy two kickass subs that will impress anyone who steps foot in my house, but I don't want to have to have apologies or excuses for unwanted noise, no matter how close my ear has to be to the sub.

I saw the owner or the company come on here and pounce on a few guys for saying the wrong thing.... I can assure you I'm just a guy looking to spend hard earned money on the best pair of sealed subs I can afford. The S3612 was the one I had been waiting to see come out back months ago when the Neo-Ipals were mentioned on Facebook by PSA, and now it's out and I'm afraid to even think about buying it. I may have missed it, because I only pop on these forums as time permits, but I didn't see where the owner addressed the noise people are complaining about at all. Is this noise issue going to be addressed by a company rep, or has this already been accepted as something one has to put up with. to have this type of output, in this price range?

Thanks, Brian
post #53024 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2154 Post(s)
Liked: 4465
@BadJRT
There is a workaround for the sound of the drivers, that is to bring the crossover down until the sound goes away. In a normal setup where you cross at 80 Hz anyway, it shouldn't be an issue. Presumably, Tom will be able to reprogram the dsp to get rid of it altogether at some point.
I wouldn't worry about it, in other words.
As far as Tom V goes..... He's known for great sVs level service, and I won't comment on him otherwise in this thread.
ahblaza and BadJRT like this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #53025 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I just installed the first of 2 V1812s (neo driver) and the first thing I checked was for a hum after reading some of the comments on this thread. I turned the gain all of the way up and didn't hear a *hum* until my ear was a foot away. I consider this a total non issue. I turned the gain to midpoint and could detect a very slight hum when my ear was 6 inches from the driver. At my listening position of the gain at about 9 o'clock I don't detect anything.

By my definition there is zero *hum* as I can't hear it under any normal listening circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJRT View Post
What's going on with this humming or noise floor issue regarding these new drivers? I'm looking buy new subs and really only consider a couple, maybe three manufactures tops. I just bought a house and am looking for two powerful sealed subs for my family room (not a dedicated theater room but WAF is generous due to bribery) I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as most of you guys and just want to find the best pair of sealed subs and be done with sub forums. No offence, but I have other hobbies that need attention. I love reading some of this stuff (sometimes) but it gets monotonous after a while and I find it difficult to weed through all the fanboy posts trying to find pertinent information. My question is, do these new drivers have noise issues? I know some of you don't care about a barely audible "humming" or "fan like sound" as some have put it, but I do care and don't want any audible sound that shouldn't be there. I want to buy two kickass subs that will impress anyone who steps foot in my house, but I don't want to have to have apologies or excuses for unwanted noise, no matter how close my ear has to be to the sub.

I saw the owner or the company come on here and pounce on a few guys for saying the wrong thing.... I can assure you I'm just a guy looking to spend hard earned money on the best pair of sealed subs I can afford. The S3612 was the one I had been waiting to see come out back months ago when the Neo-Ipals were mentioned on Facebook by PSA, and now it's out and I'm afraid to even think about buying it. I may have missed it, because I only pop on these forums as time permits, but I didn't see where the owner addressed the noise people are complaining about at all. Is this noise issue going to be addressed by a company rep, or has this already been accepted as something one has to put up with. to have this type of output, in this price range?

Thanks, Brian

Spoiler!
post #53026 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
The TV42 does have a lower port tune than the TV36.
Do you know the figure?
post #53027 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari_1996 View Post
Do you know the figure?
TV42- +/-3db 11-150hz

TV36- +/-3db 14-150hz

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #53028 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
TV42- +/-3db 11-150hz

TV36- +/-3db 14-150hz

I don't think the -3dB point tells you the port tune.

Edit: Case in point, the JTR captivator subs are +/- 3dB 12-125Hz and they have 10Hz tunes.
Sn1per666 likes this.

Last edited by Ferrari_1996; 12-10-2019 at 08:25 PM.
post #53029 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, Brian
I don't have a hum unless my ear is 2 to 3 inches from a driver and even then it's really faint, so it's a total non issue for me. But I've learned through the years that sometimes this stuff has to do with variables both in your home as well as the sub themselves. What might barely be audible in my house may be louder in yours and vice versa. I tried another manufacturer's sub earlier this year and the ground loop hum was really bad, but that same type of sub didn't have a hum in some other people's homes. Trying to figure out why can be confusing because of all the variables involved. Things like wiring, cable boxes not being grounded right, modems etc.. can all affect things. All that being said, I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you with certainty what you will experience in your home.
zeuspaul, chucks0, sk373 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Hopinater; 12-11-2019 at 06:09 AM.
post #53030 of 53984 Old 12-10-2019, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I don't have a hum unless my ear is 2 to 3 inches from a driver and even then it's really faint, so it's a total non issue for me. But I've learned through the years that sometimes this stuff has to do with variables both in your home as well as the sub themselves. What might barely audible in my house may be louder in yours and vice versa. I tried another manufacturer's sub earlier this year and the ground loop hum was really bad, but that same type of sub didn't have a hum in some other people's homes. Trying to figure out why can confusing because of all the variables involved. Things like wiring, cable boxes not being grounded right, modems etc.. can all affect things. All that being said, I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you with certainty what you will experience in your home.
I wholeheartedly agree with @Hopinater ... there are too many variables involved to know what will happen in your home. In my case, I do have a very audible "buzz" that I don't have to move out of my seat to hear. @zambine very accurately described the noise that "I" hear as "like plugging a guitar into an amp and turning it up to eleven". Both he and I could clearly hear this.

However, we can only hear this when the crossover setting on the subwoofer's amp is turned all the way up (which is the "bypass" setting). Turning the crossover dial just slightly down to 150Hz (which enables the crossover) almost entirely eliminates the issue. This very audible "buzz" transitions to become a barely audible "hum" which I cannot hear from my normal listening position. At that point, my experience is more in-line with what @zeuspaul describes as his.

FWIW, I have traded several emails with Tom over the last two weeks and can tell you that he is working on a solution to improve the noise floor. But if you don't notice a problem to begin with, you'd never notice the change. Unfortunately, you simply won't know one way or another until you assume the risk and put one in your own room.

This is my first PSA, but I'm no stranger to Tom's work (SVS) or his work ethic. He's one of the most genuine and hardest working guys in the industry. So rest assured, you’d never be left holding the bag...

Last edited by DOC1963; 12-11-2019 at 12:06 AM.
post #53031 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked: 4505
I think for anyone upgrading or buying these new subs, it would be a good idea to upgrade to a BJC LC1 subwoofer cable. A cheaper cable with less noise rejection might work fine on subs with less sensitivity, but when you add 10 dB of sensitivity, any slight noise is going to be amplified, its just the way high sensitivity speakers work. Good cabling and connections becomes more important. I don't know for sure if this will solve the issue for everyone, but I know for sure at least one person in this thread recently had this fix their hum.

I still think PSA should offer the BJC subwoofer cable as an add on with a handful of common lengths kept in stock. I think the benefit of carrying them in terms of reduced customer service issue would outweigh the trouble involved in carrying another product. Of course, this is coming from someone on the outside looking in.
post #53032 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Owner of dual TV36. There is zero "hum" or "buzz". There is a very slight "hiss" that I can only hear from about a foot from the drivers.
ahblaza likes this.
post #53033 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I still think PSA should offer the BJC subwoofer cable as an add on with a handful of common lengths kept in stock. I think the benefit of carrying them in terms of reduced customer service issue would outweigh the trouble involved in carrying another product. Of course, this is coming from someone on the outside looking in.

Dont want to be rude, but lets be honest if you can afford sub worth couple grands im sure you can afford 20-50$ dollar sub cable
Phil1975m and ss nimrod like this.
post #53034 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Just to be clear, my hum/buzz is neither a ground loop, nor is it interference on the sub cable.
It does it with balanced and unbalanced, short and long, and with and without the cable connected. I also have the ground lift adaptors and they don't change the noise at all.
I'm on a dedicated 20 amp, 10 guage mains ring and it makes no difference if I'm on that ring, or on another ring in the house. I'm pretty sure it's the amp

As I said though, turning the gain down resolves the issue entirely for me. I can't speak for others of course.
post #53035 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I think for anyone upgrading or buying these new subs, it would be a good idea to upgrade to a BJC LC1 subwoofer cable. A cheaper cable with less noise rejection might work fine on subs with less sensitivity, but when you add 10 dB of sensitivity, any slight noise is going to be amplified, its just the way high sensitivity speakers work. Good cabling and connections becomes more important. I don't know for sure if this will solve the issue for everyone, but I know for sure at least one person in this thread recently had this fix their hum.

Yup...Google High sensitivity and apply that definition to the noise you are hearing and it will make perfect sense. No different then High Efficient speakers like the PSA...a bad recording they will expose and you will detect the hiss and signal noise much easier then low efficient stuff. They can almost sound worse with really low quality sources, but when you feed them a high quality signal it's a night and day difference. The same applies to High Efficient subwoofers. They are going to expose a cheap cable that is not properly shielded and you will get a 50cycle hum, "hiss", or "snow" coming from the driver with nothing playing. I am sure they will pick noise up through the wall outlet if the homes wiring is old and or had receptacles replaced that are not properly grounded. Running the amp gain too high will expose any potential noise as well.
zeuspaul likes this.

Last edited by basshead81; 12-11-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #53036 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
Dont want to be rude, but lets be honest if you can afford sub worth couple grands im sure you can afford 20-50$ dollar sub cable
I dont think its the cost of the cable , I think he means that if Tom finds a cable that helps eliminate a hum/hiss that PSA should have it available for purchase with the subs so someone is ready to go as soon as subs arrive. Not oh I have this hiss , now let me go to BJC website , let me find the correct cable , let me enter my information and wait for a whole nother package to arrive to solve my issue. If the person doesnt need the cables after all , it could probably be an easy return back to PSA with a refund?? I mean it sounds easy from my desk eating a breakfast burrito , but im sure there is much more to it....
post #53037 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 10:41 AM

I shared the story a few times about my aunt getting an immediate headache and thinking a train was coming thru the house while I had some Lo-Fi music playing at low volume....Well the song popped on again the other morning and I was able to get its name...I believe this is it , but I cant quite verify thru my desktop speakers..Im not sure how low it goes HZ wise , but it pressurizes the room something nasty...Ill have to play again once I get home!
SuperFist likes this.
post #53038 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGoat View Post
I dont think its the cost of the cable , I think he means that if Tom finds a cable that helps eliminate a hum/hiss that PSA should have it available for purchase with the subs so someone is ready to go as soon as subs arrive. Not oh I have this hiss , now let me go to BJC website , let me find the correct cable , let me enter my information and wait for a whole nother package to arrive to solve my issue. If the person doesnt need the cables after all , it could probably be an easy return back to PSA with a refund?? I mean it sounds easy from my desk eating a breakfast burrito , but im sure there is much more to it....
The hiss/hum on the Ipals is NOT cable related. It occurs with nothing connected to the subs except the power cable.

Fossil and BadJRT like this.
post #53039 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
The hiss/hum on the Ipals is NOT cable related. It occurs with nothing connected to the subs except the power cable.

Wasnt really trying to diagnose where it came from , was mainly going on about PSA offering cables with subs....Which they dont , so its a non-issue...
post #53040 of 53984 Old 12-11-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 109
A question about using the crossover “trick” to solve any buzzing. While you might cross over at 80, that only affects the 5/7/9/n channels, right? The LFE channel would be affected by someone dropping the crossover to say 100Hz.

Admittedly that should only be up to 120Hz according to spec and I can’t imagine there’s much going on up there anyway, but something to consider if you’re dropping the crossover.

Or does it work the other way where LFE above the crossover point is redirected back to the mains? I didn’t think that’s how it behaved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s1512 , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , v1512 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page