Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61972Likes

post #14971 of 51230 Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 8980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
What were you listening to?
Various bass heavy elctro music tracks....Mord Fustang, Flux Pavillion, Wolfgang Gartner....etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14972 of 51230 Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Various bass heavy elctro music tracks....Mord Fustang, Flux Pavillion, Wolfgang Gartner....etc.
I guess it would work with BD tracks as well, I'm going to download it now, I just paid $.99 for the Genelec Speaker Angle app and it really works, says my speakers are toed in at 16 degrees, that's pretty much spot on. Will let you know after I get it. Thanks Bro.
Cheers Jeff
basshead81 likes this.
post #14973 of 51230 Old 11-16-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I guess it would work with BD tracks as well, I'm going to download it now, I just paid $.99 for the Genelec Speaker Angle app and it really works, says my speakers are toed in at 16 degrees, that's pretty much spot on. Will let you know after I get it. Thanks Bro.
Cheers Jeff
Oh yea it will work with any source content. I am going to try some blu ray stuff next round. Pretty cool to be able to measure the tactile response at the seat. I would say anything above 5 is pretty intense, 7 starts to vibrate your eyeballs. I couldn't imagine what 8 would feel like. Perhaps Jbrown will join in after he gets his 6 UXL-18's up and running. I imagine the 2 near field subs will have far more tactile sensation then the 4 up front. If you read the ULF thread, Dominguez has a great write up on it!
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14974 of 51230 Old 11-16-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Oh yea it will work with any source content. I am going to try some blu ray stuff next round. Pretty cool to be able to measure the tactile response at the seat. I would say anything above 5 is pretty intense, 7 starts to vibrate your eyeballs. I couldn't imagine what 8 would feel like. Perhaps Jbrown will join in after he gets his 6 UXL-18's up and running. I imagine the 2 near field subs will have far more tactile sensation then the 4 up front. If you read the ULF thread, Dominguez has a great write up on it!

I'll give it a shot that's for sure! I'm curious to see how my new sealed alignment will compare to the ported. Even though concrete isn't suppose to allow for much tactical feel my four ported cabinets cause both rows of my seats to shack like crazy when you wanted to get nutty....lol

Does anyone know what the internal volume is for the Triax or Triax-18 cabinets?

Oh speaker of cool apps for your phone there's a good one for Android guys. Try out Audio Bunn, I wish it was available for Apple iPhones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...udioTool&hl=en

Last edited by jbrown15; 11-16-2014 at 09:47 PM.
post #14975 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
The driver needs the rubber trim ring that hides the screws like the power x line driver.
Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of the round grills. I would be leaving those off at all times.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #14976 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure they are beastly though....

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #14977 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
I had the morning to myself to rerun YPAO several times, and I finally got it like it was before, with it setting all speakers properly to small, and sub at -6.0 which I bumped up to -1.5. I have the missing output back! It now sounds just like the previous amp did. (Only other adjustment I had to make was to lower the crossover from 100hz to 80hz).

Yea, it is the money right now. I basically blew the wad buying the sub. I stretched my budget out to get this over a discounted PB2000, and even with that I got a discounted b-stock unit for a bit less from PSA. My wife will kill me if I spend that much more on a mic right now...75 yes, but I think shipping too right? (PSA sells them for 90 so I figured that much.) I could get away with maybe a 30 dollar SPL meter from Shack, but not this.

Glad you got it pounding again
Omni009 likes this.
post #14978 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of the round grills. I would be leaving those off at all times.
It's not only you, I don't like the round grills either. Lucky for me the Triax is out of my budget so I don't have to worry about it!
post #14979 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I had the morning to myself to rerun YPAO several times, and I finally got it like it was before, with it setting all speakers properly to small, and sub at -6.0 which I bumped up to -1.5. I have the missing output back! It now sounds just like the previous amp did. (Only other adjustment I had to make was to lower the crossover from 100hz to 80hz).

Yea, it is the money right now. I basically blew the wad buying the sub. I stretched my budget out to get this over a discounted PB2000, and even with that I got a discounted b-stock unit for a bit less from PSA. My wife will kill me if I spend that much more on a mic right now...75 yes, but I think shipping too right? (PSA sells them for 90 so I figured that much.) I could get away with maybe a 30 dollar SPL meter from Shack, but not this.
I used a radio shack meter for REW and it worked well. Are there better mic's? Sure. Will a RS meter show you what you need to know? IMO yes.
Omni009 likes this.
post #14980 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Bass I looked for an hour on my iphone and couldn't find that vibrometer, any help would be appreciated.TIA
Cheers Jeff
post #14981 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bass, never mind, I found out you have to have an Android device, I just have an Iphone.
post #14982 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Now that I have it all dialed in again, I think I can go ahead and write my full review of the XV15se. These are just my own experiences, so take them as such.

My XV15se review

I have now owned the XV15se for approx 30 days, (minus 5 days waiting for a new amp). This unit replaced my old BIC 12, which I must say really was a solid performer for the sub 200 price you can get it for. But while it rocked my old, smaller space, I now have approx 2500 cubic ft or so to fill with bass, and I needed to break out the big guns.

It was a hard choice between this and other competitive ID sub offerings at similar price points, but even though I was leaning towards another sub, I took the advice to chat with Tom at PSA, and sure enough I ended up ordering the sub from them basically on the spot. I got a good deal on a B stock unit that they were just about to put up for sale with assurances that it was fully backed with the same coverage as any other unit, and tested OK first.

The Unit

The unit itself arrived, and I have included pics. It lacked even the minor scuff marks that Tom had mentioned. Honestly, they could have told me that this was a brand new unit, and cosmetically I could have never told you the difference. It was in 100% perfect shape, not a scratch on it.

Setup

I'll skip the boring details of the setup, and cut right to the chase. Out of the box and stuck in the same spot as my old sub, it wasn't that impressive. However, I have seen that this phenomenon is rather common with first time owners of subs of this caliber. These subs require proper setup and placement to get them to their potential. I can't stress that enough, as the difference between spots in my room is night and day. 6 feet one way or another, and you can hardly tell it's on. But in the right spot, it vibrates a good 2/3rds of the room! Now on to the material...

Test material (W Yamaha 373 and Andrew Jones 5.0 speakers FS52, BS22, and C22)

(I watched many more movies/scenes that this, but these were the ones that left the biggest impressions on me. And this is just MY experience, after sub placement and YPAO only. No graphs, no charts. Just totally honest impressions.)

MOVIES

The best

Pulse : Server room -
By far the best clip that shows the power and performance of this Sub. With nothing but bass, I cranked it to 0.0 on my AVR, and the "pulse" itself can shake the blinds in the room, and it was my first real experience with having a sub feel like it's pressurizing the room. And this was off a digital copy of the movie no less.

LOTR : ROTK - Mt Doom - Much like Pulse, the scene where Frodo is pondering throwing the Ring into Mt Doom has a nice, throbbing bass to represent his heartbeat. Fully cranked, this scene is a whole new experience now with this sub. Another new favorite.

Finding Nemo - Inside the whale/Fishtank - Even with my old sub, the tapping on the fishtank scene would shake the house. It still does But the scene inside of the whale was one that was raved about on these pages, and I could never tell why...till now. Now that's the scene that wins out for best bass scene in the film.

Star Trek (2009) - A 5 star bass movie, but my favorite is the simple effect when the fleet/Enterprise goes to warp. Never sounded like that till now, and I love to crank it up to feel the effect. Engage!

Hellboy 2 : Fighting the Golden Army
- Another 5 star Bass movie, and the ONLY "chest slam" that I felt while playing anything. Which is strange, considering the frequencies that are supposed to give you the chest slam effect are not lacking at all with this sub...that's where it shines in fact. Anyways, the only chest slam I got is in this scene, while Kraus has taken over one of the Golden Army and another one comes from behind and stabs him through the chest. I felt that. And I rewound it just to feel it again.

Kung Fu Panda : Skadoosh - A scene I used to love in my old space with my old sub that just died when I moved it into a bigger space. Now it's back, and the effect is better than ever. You can almost feel the blast hit you. Skadoosh!

(Honorable mentions...Iron Man goes supersonic, Thor fights the Ice Giants, Terminator Salvation Harvester scene...)

The not so good

Star Wars TPM : Final Lightsaber battle W Darth Maul - This was honest to god my favorite sound system demo with my old sub in my old space. It seems to have lost something. It may be that the bass is more defined and differentiated now, rather than just slam, slam, slam with each lightsaber hit. Still good, but no longer my favorite demo scene.

The Incredible Hulk - I know it's a 5 star bass movie, but I thought this sub would bring out a bit more in it with it's capabilities. In the last fight with Abomination, I got lots of bass, but it all kinda muddled together for a very boomy, but just ok experience. Not bad, but not blown away either.

LOTR : FOTR : Sauron is defeated - Another scene that is raved about, and I thought would impress me a bit more with a really good sub. I cranked it up for the opening scene where the Ring is cut from Sauron's hand, and...it was just ok. Nothing to rave about.

MUSIC

I don't do much music but...I did get to play some tunes. The requisite "Bass, I love you" from Basstronics was one of my go-to test tracks after being introduced to it on this forum. It won't play every single note in the song of course, but it does play most of them. Lots of fun

Eagles : Hotel California off of Hell Freezes Over is another recommendation just for the low kick drum beats. And low they are.

One of my favorite tunes, "The Humbling River" by Puscifer. This song has a low boom that plays every few lines. It sounded great on the XV15se. Booming with authority, just how it's supposed to.

GAMES

I'm a gamer so...games! One game that I play a lot that has lots of bass in it is "Dynasty Warriors : Gundam Reborn". The XV15se delivered here too, as I knew it would just hearing the bass notes that are in the menu screen. Exploding Robots have never sounded so...explody. Lol.

Every other game I threw in there...from Street Fighter, to Metal Gear, etc, it did well too. Gunshots in The Last Of Us have always been rather startling with dynamic range set to "Maximum" in the game, now even more so. Moving on now...

Service and Support

I bugged Tom with several questions. When he wasn't there to chat and I had to leave a message, I always got a reply the next morning. Here is a man who seems to love what he does IMO. An issue did arise where my amp died during the WOTW pod emergence scene. He had a new amp shipped out to me that same day with little hassle. Swapped it out, and it's good as new. I feel good trusting PSA with their warranty coverage that they will do what they say they will. Customer service gets an A+ rating from me.

Final Evaluation

I spent a bit more on this sub over others because I didn't want to be left wanting. That was a good move. I can't imagine many other subs at this price point give this much output. I can't tell what the extension on this sub is without a good meter, but output in the ranges that I CAN hear is plenty. I will try to add my actual in room response graph when I have one, but I'm confident that even if I found that I wasn't getting the full extension that is advertised that Tom and PSA would be there to help till it was fixed.

Bottom line. I am fairly happy with my purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-17_20-50-36_747.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	371849   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-17_20-21-18_836.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	371857   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-17_20-50-47_13.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	371865  
basshead81 and Hopinater like this.

Last edited by Omni009; 11-17-2014 at 08:33 PM.
post #14983 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 PM

Ya Android FTW!
post #14984 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bass, never mind, I found out you have to have an Android device, I just have an Iphone.
Yeah that sucks, its the same thing with that other app I linked Audio Bunn. It's a really cool app but not available to iphone guys.
post #14985 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3390 Post(s)
Liked: 10306
Good review Omni. Glad you are up and running, knocking out sold LFE and are happy.
post #14986 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
the ONLY "chest slam" that I felt while playing anything. Which is strange, considering the frequencies that are supposed to give you the chest slam effect are not lacking at all with this sub...
Not really strange. Chest thump/slam is obtained at very high levels (or very close to the speaker/sub). In clubs, this is done by playing music loud, and EQing with a large hump in the mid-bass frequencies, sometimes up to +10 dB in the 60-120 Hz octave. Getting chest slam with a HT sub calibrated flat is pretty rare unless you're willing to listen very loud or have a sub nearfield. Not that the sub is not capable of providing slam, it's just that few people listen at reference levels or above.

Quote:
LOTR : FOTR : Sauron is defeated - Another scene that is raved about, and I thought would impress me a bit more with a really good sub. I cranked it up for the scene where the Ring is cut from Sauron's hand, and...it was just ok. Nothing to rave out.
Can't really comment on the two previous letdowns but that one is easy. It never was that good of a scene to begin with. It's just your regular frequency sweep, and it doesn't even dig low at all: it's mid-bass at best! (Googling... Ah, stops at 55 Hz! -- at least if we're to trust @Ilkka , because the original link is gone. And, well, I tend to trust him )

Long story short -- it's great to show off your puny HTIB sub, but real bass lies elsewhere

Quote:
Hey Bass I looked for an hour on my iphone and couldn't find that vibrometer, any help would be appreciated.TIA
Cheers Jeff
Quote:
That specific Vibrometer app is Android only but the Apple App Store has many similar apps -- didn't test any but look for "vibrometer", "seismometer" or "seismograph". Not sure if the results can be directly compared, but I don't necessarily trust the Vibrometer app to give us genuine Richter scale readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Yeah that sucks, its the same thing with that other app I linked Audio Bunn. It's a really cool app but not available to iphone guys.
I'm kind of wary of any SPL meter on a smartphone -- it's gotta be limited by the phone's mic isn't it? Or can AudioTool somehow work with a USB mic? E.g. like using an OTG adapter?

post #14987 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 6241 Post(s)
Liked: 5536
Quote:
Originally Posted by t231 View Post
I used a radio shack meter for REW and it worked well. Are there better mic's? Sure. Will a RS meter show you what you need to know? IMO yes.
I've been using the same RS meter for 20+ years...no problems here.
post #14988 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3390 Post(s)
Liked: 10306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I've been using the same RS meter for 20+ years...no problems here.
My RS meter works great and for $35 it's a pretty good deal.
post #14989 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
Can't really comment on the two previous letdowns but that one is easy. It never was that good of a scene to begin with. It's just your regular frequency sweep, and it doesn't even dig low at all: it's mid-bass at best! (Googling... Ah, stops at 55 Hz! -- at least if we're to trust @Ilkka , because the original link is gone. And, well, I tend to trust him )

Long story short -- it's great to show off your puny HTIB sub, but real bass lies elsewhere
I should have phrased it a bit better, in that I was referring to the entire Sauron scene and not just that snippit. I worded it wrong...that's my fault. But I always read that the opening scene is some sub terranian bass monster...I have this here too... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post12748226 and they claim some 4hz content in the opening scene!

What I probably should have done is got off my lazy ass and put in disk 2 so I could watch the Balrog scene instead

post #14990 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
I'm kind of wary of any SPL meter on a smartphone -- it's gotta be limited by the phone's mic isn't it? Or can AudioTool somehow work with a USB mic? E.g. like using an OTG adapter?

I seem to recall Parts-Express having a special little mix that would plus into your smart phone that takes accurate measurements. You would use something like that with that Audio Bunn app.
post #14991 of 51230 Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked: 2260
@Omni009 . Good review. When are you adding a second one?
Omni009 likes this.
post #14992 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM

What is up with this thread? When I click on the "go to first new post" icon I'm sent to the top of the last page?? Weird.....
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #14993 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Does anyone know the slope of the XV30's built in crossover?
post #14994 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
What is up with this thread? When I click on the "go to first new post" icon I'm sent to the top of the last page?? Weird.....
Same here
post #14995 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Same here
Pulse................

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #14996 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 03:21 PM

post #14997 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

So if I'm hunting down an SPL meter to check the sub, the Radio Shack 33-2055 seems to be the one most people use, right? I see several on Ebay, and I have someone local selling one used but he wants 45 bucks Tried to talk him down to no avail..

post #14998 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So if I'm hunting down an SPL meter to check the sub, the Radio Shack 33-2055 seems to be the one most people use, right? I see several on Ebay, and I have someone local selling one used but he wants 45 bucks Tried to talk him down to no avail..
Yeah that's the one you want, it's probably worth the $45 locally. I don't think Radio Shack makes the analog model anymore.
post #14999 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
You will also likely have to buy a few adapters and cables, hunt down the RS's calibration file (have it somewhere...) and calibrate your sound card if you want to use REW.

Or, you could get a UMIK-1 or similar USB mic for a bit more than twice this price, which comes with its own individual calibration file, and which allows you to completely bypass your sound card, thus simplifying the measurement process. As a bonus, the mic can also be used as an absolute SPL meter since it's also calibrated in sensitivity.

Can you tell I don't use my RS much nowadays? That being said it's easier for just checking levels, although the readings are reportedly inaccurate at low frequencies.
post #15000 of 51230 Old 11-18-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

10.0 -22.09
11.2 -19.25
12.5 -16.83
14.0 -14.69
16.0 -12.66
18.0 -10.61
20.0 -9.05
22.4 -7.64
25.0 -6.49
28.0 -5.33
31.5 -4.41
35.5 -3.61
40.0 -2.99
45.0 -2.41
50.0 -1.97
56.0 -1.64
63.0 -1.34
71.0 -1.14
80.0 -0.96
90.0 -0.86
100.0 -0.80
112.0 -0.82
125.0 -0.82
140.0 -0.88
160.0 -0.93
180.0 -0.95
200.0 -0.99
224.0 -0.94
250.0 -0.97
280.0 -1.00
315.0 -1.04
355.0 -1.04
400.0 -0.95
450.0 -0.92
500.0 -1.03
560.0 -0.95
630.0 -0.96
710.0 -0.79
800.0 -0.44
900.0 -0.17
1000.0 0.00

Here is the cal file for the RS meter
oneeyeblind and Omni009 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page