Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 830 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64826Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #24871 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,006
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
@ahblaza so good to see you doing some posting again. I hope you're feeling better and on the mend.
Thanks Jim, I'm taking baby steps but starting to get back on the race track. It's good to be back home here where I belong with my long and close people, missed you and the rest of the field.

Hoping to see my Steelers advance to the second round tonight..........

Cheers Buddy......Jeffrey
Mike Butny likes this.
ahblaza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24872 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,006
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked: 3402
Hey guys, uninformed question, how important (setting) is the room size control when running RC (XT32 SUB EQ) and also does this apply to REW sweeps. I'm trying different settings with large and slowly lowering to small with very similar results so far (RC). Sorry for asking a basic question but my system has been idle for months, matter of fact I just got everything finally hooked up and trying to configure and integrate it all, especially the V1800s. So what I'm saying is I haven't even fired my rig up till this week, subs or speakers. TIA

Jeffrey
ahblaza is offline  
post #24873 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey guys, uninformed question, how important (setting) is the room size control when running RC (XT32 SUB EQ) and also does this apply to REW sweeps. I'm trying different settings with large and slowly lowering to small with very similar results so far (RC). Sorry for asking a basic question but my system has been idle for months, matter of fact I just got everything finally hooked up and trying to configure and integrate it all, especially the V1800s. So what I'm saying is I haven't even fired my rig up till this week, subs or speakers. TIA

Jeffrey
Jeff: I remember Tom saying that you would change the room setting after you ran Audy. Glad your feeling better buddy
ahblaza likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
Mike Butny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24874 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
tang7969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tonawanda NY
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey guys, uninformed question, how important (setting) is the room size control when running RC (XT32 SUB EQ) and also does this apply to REW sweeps. I'm trying different settings with large and slowly lowering to small with very similar results so far (RC). Sorry for asking a basic question but my system has been idle for months, matter of fact I just got everything finally hooked up and trying to configure and integrate it all, especially the V1800s. So what I'm saying is I haven't even fired my rig up till this week, subs or speakers. TIA



Jeffrey

I'm pretty sure Tom said to run your RC with the setting at small. Then you can change it if you want. I think he said he prefers the setting right in the middle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahblaza likes this.

SONY XBR-65X900F - Sony UDP X800- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR6013 - APPLE TV -DIRECTV HR44 -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY RC50'S L/R-ENERGY RC LCR- DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
tang7969 is offline  
post #24875 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Yeah, but a trio of S3600's sure would make nice end table upgrades! The inert cabinets would also greatly enhance the carbonated beverage drinking experience. Come on, time to REALLY earn that forum name.
I know I know...trust me I do like the V3600i, but they are just too big for where I need to place them in my room. If the cost is reasonable I would rather just pop a ICE amp in my current subs and gain back some extension. However that all depends on costs.


This is what I started with(OE XV15 base)



Base Response:






This what the SE upgrade offered(which I believe is what you also had)





Base Response:








This is what the 15v with ICE power does!






Base Response:








What are your thoughts Bear? worth the upgrade if the price is reasonable??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XV15LTC.png
Views:	594
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	1174690   Click image for larger version

Name:	XV15seLTC.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	1174698   Click image for larger version

Name:	15vLTC.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	1174706   Click image for larger version

Name:	XV15BR.png
Views:	582
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1174786   Click image for larger version

Name:	XV15seBR.png
Views:	585
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1174794  

Click image for larger version

Name:	15vBR.png
Views:	584
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1174802  

Last edited by basshead81; 01-09-2016 at 01:12 PM.
basshead81 is offline  
post #24876 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Chief Observation Officer
 
Anodynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
I'm pretty sure Tom said to run your RC with the setting at small. Then you can change it if you want. I think he said he prefers the setting right in the middle.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know this, and will try it the next time I can run XT32. If I understand what it does correctly, it should help me get the stronger low frequencies I'm looking for on the T18HT without more complicated EQ.
Anodynic is offline  
post #24877 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,444
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2655 Post(s)
Liked: 4150
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I know I know...trust me I do like the V3600i, but they are just too big for where I need to place them in my room. If the cost is reasonable I would rather just pop a ICE amp in my current subs and gain back some extension. However that all depends on costs.



What are your thoughts Bear? worth the upgrade if the price is reasonable??
No, I think the change in response is simply due to different eq, which you can accomplish yourself at little to no cost($100). Remember, I was flat, actually +5 dB down to 16 Hz the way I had my dual XV15se eq'd. It made a big difference in how much impact I got with movies when watching at moderate(-15) MV.

If I were in your shoes, I would be demo'ing dual S3600's. The dual opposed design would work great for you as end tables, and I think you would pick up a lot of output under 20 Hz. This would let you know if you are missing anything down low. I don't think below 15 Hz is drastically noticeable, but it also, imo, depends on the room. I definitely noticed an improvement in LFE going to sealed subs, but I did not lose any output in the 16-30 region. I actually gained some in that region and a boatload below 20 Hz. But of course I went with much higher displacement(extreme excursion sealed 18).
Mike Butny, ahblaza and basshead81 like this.
bear123 is online now  
post #24878 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Myrthin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
No, I think the change in response is simply due to different eq, which you can accomplish yourself at little to no cost($100). Remember, I was flat, actually +5 dB down to 16 Hz the way I had my dual XV15se eq'd. It made a big difference in how much impact I got with movies when watching at moderate(-15) MV.

If I were in your shoes, I would be demo'ing dual S3600's. The dual opposed design would work great for you as end tables, and I think you would pick up a lot of output under 20 Hz. This would let you know if you are missing anything down low. I don't think below 15 Hz is drastically noticeable, but it also, imo, depends on the room. I definitely noticed an improvement in LFE going to sealed subs, but I did not lose any output in the 16-30 region. I actually gained some in that region and a boatload below 20 Hz. But of course I went with much higher displacement(extreme excursion sealed 18).
Bass response now really good at high volumes (-10 to 00). Big improvement. This I accomplished by slightly moving my listening position. Trying to hit the 38 percent from the back wall number. Still lacks punch at lower volumes. But haven't followed the link advice yet.
Myrthin is offline  
post #24879 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
No, I think the change in response is simply due to different eq, which you can accomplish yourself at little to no cost($100). Remember, I was flat, actually +5 dB down to 16 Hz the way I had my dual XV15se eq'd. It made a big difference in how much impact I got with movies when watching at moderate(-15) MV.

If I were in your shoes, I would be demo'ing dual S3600's. The dual opposed design would work great for you as end tables, and I think you would pick up a lot of output under 20 Hz. This would let you know if you are missing anything down low. I don't think below 15 Hz is drastically noticeable, but it also, imo, depends on the room. I definitely noticed an improvement in LFE going to sealed subs, but I did not lose any output in the 16-30 region. I actually gained some in that region and a boatload below 20 Hz. But of course I went with much higher displacement(extreme excursion sealed 18).
That is true Bear, I had my subs eq'd flat down to 18hz also, but really prefer the extra headroom I have with no Eq. Maybe that does mean it's time to pony up for more powerful subs if I want to be flat down into the mid-low teens @ reference and not lose and upper bass head room. The S3600i would work for my setup...hmm.
Mike Butny, ahblaza and k1n3t1k like this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #24880 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,740
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3506 Post(s)
Liked: 10894
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
That is true Bear, I had my subs eq'd flat down to 18hz also, but really prefer the extra headroom I have with no Eq. Maybe that does mean it's time to pony up for more powerful subs if I want to be flat down into the mid-low teens @ reference and not lose and upper bass head room. The S3600i would work for my setup...hmm.
Now, you all know that I would never suggest to anyone that they should upgrade their subs. But in this case I'll make an exception.

Basshead, I think you should upgrade your subs…to the S3600...you should get at least two of them, or better yet three, but four would be best.
Mike Butny likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #24881 of 52380 Old 01-09-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9317
Man I do not know...still really happy with the overall performance of my current setup. Watching Fury Road for the second time right now and it's amazing. I have more clean headroom then I can use from both the speakers and subs. I just am not sure that spending 3-4k(after selling my XV's) for a little extra extension is going to be worth the coin spent.
basshead81 is offline  
post #24882 of 52380 Old 01-10-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
I've had my S1500 for a couple days now, after initial setup I was able to watch Interstellar and listen to some music.
So far I'm impressed with the sound quality, but I have run into a slight issue. It seems there is quite a bit of latency in the amp on the S1500.
Because of this, I need to add about 11 milli-seconds of delay to my front subs (built into my DefTech towers) to get them time aligned. The DefTechs don't have a delay function, and my miniDSP 2x4 will only do 7.5 milli-seconds of delay...What to do?
With the delay set to 6.4ms on the SVS and 7.5ms on the DefTechs, it sounds pretty good, but I know it could be better.
Anyone have any ideas?

Yamaha RX-A2060 | Outlaw M-2200 (x5) | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST : CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | Amber In-ceiling | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP DDRC-88BM | Belkin PureAV (x2)
ceh383 is offline  
post #24883 of 52380 Old 01-10-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9317
Change the delay on the s1500? This is one of the reasons why I was interested in upgrading to ICE amp modules for the time delay instead of phase control. I have yet to hear anybody post their impressions on how well this feature works, but most here do not have 3-4 subs in a room.

Last edited by basshead81; 01-10-2016 at 09:32 AM.
basshead81 is offline  
post #24884 of 52380 Old 01-10-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Change the delay on the s1500? This is one of the reasons why I was interested in upgrading to ICE amp modules for the time delay instead of phase control. I have yet to hear anybody post their impressions on how well this feature works, but most here do not have 3-4 subs in a room.
I have the delay set to "0" on the S1500 and changing it to something else would require more delay on the other subs. If the situation were reversed, that would work, but with what I have it would make it worse. Adding delay to the other subs helped a lot, so it's close right now...just not perfect.

Yamaha RX-A2060 | Outlaw M-2200 (x5) | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST : CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | Amber In-ceiling | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP DDRC-88BM | Belkin PureAV (x2)
ceh383 is offline  
post #24885 of 52380 Old 01-10-2016, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
I chatted with Tom ealier today and asked him about the delay in the S1500, he said it should be about 3ms. My measurements show it at about 11ms when compaired to my fronts. I'm sure this has to do with placement of the S1500.
I wonder if adding to the distance in the AVR to the fronts would help? Something to try next weekend I guess.

Yamaha RX-A2060 | Outlaw M-2200 (x5) | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST : CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | Amber In-ceiling | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP DDRC-88BM | Belkin PureAV (x2)
ceh383 is offline  
post #24886 of 52380 Old 01-10-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,604
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
I chatted with Tom ealier today and asked him about the delay in the S1500, he said it should be about 3ms. My measurements show it at about 11ms when compaired to my fronts. I'm sure this has to do with placement of the S1500.
I wonder if adding to the distance in the AVR to the fronts would help? Something to try next weekend I guess.
Can you run the DT's in full range and not use the built in subs as "subs"?
laserjock II is offline  
post #24887 of 52380 Old 01-10-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9317
In theory it should. That was part of the point I was trying to make in my last reply, but I was on my phone and did not post in great lengths. Point was you should have enough adjustment between the AVR and sub amps to make things work out.
basshead81 is offline  
post #24888 of 52380 Old 01-10-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Can you run the DT's in full range and not use the built in subs as "subs"?
I could run the DT's as full range, but that would limit the subs to LFE only. Everything does sound better with an 80hz XO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
In theory it should. That was part of the point I was trying to make in my last reply, but I was on my phone and did not post in great lengths. Point was you should have enough adjustment between the AVR and sub amps to make things work out.
The only ways I can delay the DT's is with the miniDSP and/or the AVR. The PSA shows up as the farthest away speaker, so its delay needs to be 0. I'm not sure how changing the distance on the DT's will affect the current system calibration.
I think when I have the DDRC-88A in line it will be fine to do it that way.I guess I'll find out next weekend when I have the new equipment in line...

Yamaha RX-A2060 | Outlaw M-2200 (x5) | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST : CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | Amber In-ceiling | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP DDRC-88BM | Belkin PureAV (x2)
ceh383 is offline  
post #24889 of 52380 Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
S3000i, 15s, and S1500

S3000i, 15S, and S1500

So I finally thought I’d chime in (have only once when I initially was purchasing my first PSA subs). At the end of the summer (2015) I decided it was time to upgrade the subs in our media room, which did not have a very low extension (dropped off quickly under 20 Hz – which was great for music but lacking in a lot of movies which had much lower bass). I went through a lot of threads here on AVS covering different subs (and corresponding manufacture web sites for more info). There are a lot of great companies out there but I finally decided on PSA because of members’ constant testimonials on quality, price to performance ratio, and customer service.

So, after some PM’s and emails with Tom, I decided on a pair of S3000is. He was extremely helpful in making my decision. I have always preferred the sound of sealed subs, especially for music. I received them at the beginning of the fall but was not able to integrate them into my system until October (very busy schedule like many here). When I did, it was shocking how good they were/are!!! We (family) could not believe what we were missing on a lot of movies. Incredible extension, very solid sounding, and a LOT of headroom (there was no strain at all – except for the house, many things were rattling…).

I did calibrate the room with Audyssey Pro (have used this kit for quite a while now and like the results). It does a great job, but I wanted to get the bass a bit flatter (although I understand that I probably wouldn’t hear the difference). This was just based on the graphs created by Audyssey Pro, but I do need to pull out REW or OmniMic one of these days (have both, and have run them in the past). As in just about everyone’s rooms, there are always some issues. Mine is a room node at ~50 Hz and some room modes that are easily taken care of. I decided to look at the Anti-Mode 2.0 since there was one on sale at PSA (a B-Stock unit). I purchased it, but did not plug it in until a couple weeks later. When I did, it just didn’t power up. This was on the weekend. I emailed Sunday night after 7pm and got a response the nest morning shortly after 7am from Tom. He had another unit ready to send out to replace the one I had, with a return label. Talk about extremely quick service and resolve of the issue. I’ve never experienced customer service like this before. I received the new one a few days later. Since it was a new one and not a B-stock, I offered to pay the difference, but Tom said he would have it taken care of.
This customer service, which is really second to none (I know there are some others out there, but few and far between) really made me a believer in PSA and of course the products ‘speak’ for themselves – incredible value for the money!

We watched quite a few movies and are so impressed every time! This make me think that our other subs in other rooms were lacking, quite a bit and because of my experience with PSA and Tom (I had not dealt with Jim yet, but noticed he and been doing the mailing prep). So I figured it was time to change out other subs in the house, 3 different rooms. Two of the subs need to be smaller and one of those needed to be kid proof – my son is very good with his things, but his friends can be another story. Because of this, I decided to go with the 15S for his room (figured down-firing would be safer), the S1500 for our bedroom (small enough for WAF) and another S3000i for my office (used for editing video/audio).

The S3000i and the 15S have arrived (been installed for a week now). Still waiting on the S1500 since I requested a Black Ash finish (same as on all the S3000is, incredible finish – furniture grade and beautiful). The 15S has the Satin Black texture, which is actually very attractive and appears quite durable.

Disclaimer here, all of the rooms are quite small (we call our house the Little Media Packed House -all), running 12’ x 13’ x 8’ ceilings. So, it doesn’t take much to pressurize them. I only had experience with the S3000i so far, and it was a pair of them in a dedicated media room. The single S3000i in my editing room was no slouch, again producing absolutely clean, solid bass down to the lowest registers. So when it came to the 15S, I was wondering how it would hold up against the S3000i. I have to say, it’s quite impressive! Very deep, solid bass with great impact and effortless production. I have to say it’s actually more than enough sub for these rooms. The S3000i has a bit more Slam, but the 15S does not fall very far behind. I highly recommend this sub – incredible price and great performance. If you have a very large room though, I’d look toward one of the larger subs. I actually looked at the S3600i, but for our rooms, there probably wouldn’t be a noticeable difference. And, in the media room, I’ve always preferred using two subs (and 2 S300i’s are already pushing the limit on fitting in). They are placed at 1/4 and 3/4 the width of the room (best place when testing previous subs). The other subs are placed likewise (15S at 1/4 space and the single S3000i at 1/2 space). The S1500 will be in a corner though, the only place in the bedroom that will fit and accepted by my wife. I’m not fond of corner loading subs, but will just have to work it in.

Again, I can’t say more about the customer service provided by Tom V and his company. PSA is very impressive and I can’t believe they can run it all here in the USA. Other’s need to follow suit! By the way, I did purchase 3 PSA shirts shortly after the first 3000i purchases, but won’t be sporting a pic. Not after Zeus showed his (his arms are as big as my legs…). A complement to you Zeus! You probably don’t need any help moving these large subs around. I proudly wear mine though and many friends ask what PSA is. Of course, I fill them in and have them over for a listen. Hopefully they'll be in line to replace some of their subs.

When I have the time, I'll get some measurements done and posted here. Thanks for all of you that participate in this thread, all the info swayed my initial decision to go with PSA and Tom of course locked me in to getting more with such great service!

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
post #24890 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 AM
Member
 
Thermoform's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
I've had my S1500 for a couple days now, after initial setup I was able to watch Interstellar and listen to some music.
So far I'm impressed with the sound quality, but I have run into a slight issue. It seems there is quite a bit of latency in the amp on the S1500.
Because of this, I need to add about 11 milli-seconds of delay to my front subs (built into my DefTech towers) to get them time aligned. The DefTechs don't have a delay function, and my miniDSP 2x4 will only do 7.5 milli-seconds of delay...What to do?
With the delay set to 6.4ms on the SVS and 7.5ms on the DefTechs, it sounds pretty good, but I know it could be better.
Anyone have any ideas?
Set your MiniDSP delay to zero and run YPAO on your receiver to set the "distance". Are you running sweeps with a mic and REW? If so, check your delay by running a sweep set to 10hz on either side of your crossover (if 80hz, run sweep from 70-90hz).
My Yamaha does not like the YPAO distance messed with, so once that set, I'd say leave it alone and use the MiniDSP for and more correction. But your receiver should nail it at the crossover frequency.

Emotiva XPA-2 (Main)
Emotiva XPA-3 (Center, Rear)
Emotiva UPA-2 (House)
Emotiva ERC-2
Yamaha RX-A820
Magnepan 1.7 (Main)
Klipsh RC-35 (Center)
Klipsch SS.5 (Rear)
Power Sound Audio XS30 (Left & Right)
Klipsch SW-8(Rear)
Panasonic TC-P60UT50
Panasonic DMP-BD85
Thermoform is offline  
post #24891 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 03:50 AM
Member
 
Myrthin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
S3000i, 15S, and S1500

So I finally thought I’d chime in (have only once when I initially was purchasing my first PSA subs). At the end of the summer (2015) I decided it was time to upgrade the subs in our media room, which did not have a very low extension (dropped off quickly under 20 Hz – which was great for music but lacking in a lot of movies which had much lower bass). I went through a lot of threads here on AVS covering different subs (and corresponding manufacture web sites for more info). There are a lot of great companies out there but I finally decided on PSA because of members’ constant testimonials on quality, price to performance ratio, and customer service.

So, after some PM’s and emails with Tom, I decided on a pair of S3000is. He was extremely helpful in making my decision. I have always preferred the sound of sealed subs, especially for music. I received them at the beginning of the fall but was not able to integrate them into my system until October (very busy schedule like many here). When I did, it was shocking how good they were/are!!! We (family) could not believe what we were missing on a lot of movies. Incredible extension, very solid sounding, and a LOT of headroom (there was no strain at all – except for the house, many things were rattling…).

I did calibrate the room with Audyssey Pro (have used this kit for quite a while now and like the results). It does a great job, but I wanted to get the bass a bit flatter (although I understand that I probably wouldn’t hear the difference). This was just based on the graphs created by Audyssey Pro, but I do need to pull out REW or OmniMic one of these days (have both, and have run them in the past). As in just about everyone’s rooms, there are always some issues. Mine is a room node at ~50 Hz and some room modes that are easily taken care of. I decided to look at the Anti-Mode 2.0 since there was one on sale at PSA (a B-Stock unit). I purchased it, but did not plug it in until a couple weeks later. When I did, it just didn’t power up. This was on the weekend. I emailed Sunday night after 7pm and got a response the nest morning shortly after 7am from Tom. He had another unit ready to send out to replace the one I had, with a return label. Talk about extremely quick service and resolve of the issue. I’ve never experienced customer service like this before. I received the new one a few days later. Since it was a new one and not a B-stock, I offered to pay the difference, but Tom said he would have it taken care of.
This customer service, which is really second to none (I know there are some others out there, but few and far between) really made me a believer in PSA and of course the products ‘speak’ for themselves – incredible value for the money!

We watched quite a few movies and are so impressed every time! This make me think that our other subs in other rooms were lacking, quite a bit and because of my experience with PSA and Tom (I had not dealt with Jim yet, but noticed he and been doing the mailing prep). So I figured it was time to change out other subs in the house, 3 different rooms. Two of the subs need to be smaller and one of those needed to be kid proof – my son is very good with his things, but his friends can be another story. Because of this, I decided to go with the 15S for his room (figured down-firing would be safer), the S1500 for our bedroom (small enough for WAF) and another S3000i for my office (used for editing video/audio).

The S3000i and the 15S have arrived (been installed for a week now). Still waiting on the S1500 since I requested a Black Ash finish (same as on all the S3000is, incredible finish – furniture grade and beautiful). The 15S has the Satin Black texture, which is actually very attractive and appears quite durable.

Disclaimer here, all of the rooms are quite small (we call our house the Little Media Packed House -all), running 12’ x 13’ x 8’ ceilings. So, it doesn’t take much to pressurize them. I only had experience with the S3000i so far, and it was a pair of them in a dedicated media room. The single S3000i in my editing room was no slouch, again producing absolutely clean, solid bass down to the lowest registers. So when it came to the 15S, I was wondering how it would hold up against the S3000i. I have to say, it’s quite impressive! Very deep, solid bass with great impact and effortless production. I have to say it’s actually more than enough sub for these rooms. The S3000i has a bit more Slam, but the 15S does not fall very far behind. I highly recommend this sub – incredible price and great performance. If you have a very large room though, I’d look toward one of the larger subs. I actually looked at the S3600i, but for our rooms, there probably wouldn’t be a noticeable difference. And, in the media room, I’ve always preferred using two subs (and 2 S300i’s are already pushing the limit on fitting in). They are placed at 1/4 and 3/4 the width of the room (best place when testing previous subs). The other subs are placed likewise (15S at 1/4 space and the single S3000i at 1/2 space). The S1500 will be in a corner though, the only place in the bedroom that will fit and accepted by my wife. I’m not fond of corner loading subs, but will just have to work it in.

Again, I can’t say more about the customer service provided by Tom V and his company. PSA is very impressive and I can’t believe they can run it all here in the USA. Other’s need to follow suit! By the way, I did purchase 3 PSA shirts shortly after the first 3000i purchases, but won’t be sporting a pic. Not after Zeus showed his (his arms are as big as my legs…). A complement to you Zeus! You probably don’t need any help moving these large subs around. I proudly wear mine though and many friends ask what PSA is. Of course, I fill them in and have them over for a listen. Hopefully they'll be in line to replace some of their subs.

When I have the time, I'll get some measurements done and posted here. Thanks for all of you that participate in this thread, all the info swayed my initial decision to go with PSA and Tom of course locked me in to getting more with such great service!
Ray,

That's a lot of subwoofers. I considered one of the non default finishes for my recent s3000i purchase but my media room is so dark, it really wouldn't matter (walls and ceilings painted quite darkly). I agree with you , as many others have noted, that Tom is very responsive. As their company grows, I imagine he will have to think carefully about how to maintain that kind of responsiveness. That's got to be challenging. He seems to have his website setup so that it alerts him if someone is looking at it.

I've thought about getting a second s3000i for my theater room but, before I do that, I'd like to make sure I am maximizing the capabilities of the current. I need to take some measurements when I get the chance.

Are your rooms treated?
Myrthin is offline  
post #24892 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,740
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3506 Post(s)
Liked: 10894
@cavchameleon ….. That's a great write up of your impressions. It's pretty cool you have so many great subwoofers scattered throughout your home. And it's good to read some impressions of the recently released 15S. Congratulations on all your fun toys.
Mike Butny likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #24893 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 05:59 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrthin View Post
Ray,

That's a lot of subwoofers. I considered one of the non default finishes for my recent s3000i purchase but my media room is so dark, it really wouldn't matter (walls and ceilings painted quite darkly). I agree with you , as many others have noted, that Tom is very responsive. As their company grows, I imagine he will have to think carefully about how to maintain that kind of responsiveness. That's got to be challenging. He seems to have his website setup so that it alerts him if someone is looking at it.

I've thought about getting a second s3000i for my theater room but, before I do that, I'd like to make sure I am maximizing the capabilities of the current. I need to take some measurements when I get the chance.

Are your rooms treated?
To be honest, one S3000i in the media room is more than enough sub. But, I learned the benefits multiple subs a long time ago and have been running dual subs in our media room since 2000. I would have done more, the the space won't allow it. The other rooms are fine with one sub. As for the bedrooms, the only 'treatments' are heavy drapes and the bed (which acts a large acoustical trap). The media room is dedicated, but also small so it is heavily treated (does make it sound a lot larger). That room has 14 broadband absorbers (made with 4" compressed BAC - Bonded Acoustical Cotton - I don't like fiberglass, so used this material). They are 2' x 4'. The upper corners are have tri-traps (also DIY from BAC) and the ceiling has some treatments also, only 2" (got lazy on these and used some from Auralex - they only need to take care of mid-upper frequencies so work just fine).

I agree with you, it may be hard to for Tom to personally keep up with the customer service as the company grows. But, that can be taken care of by having a dedicated employee to do the deed (the only issue is that person needs to be as knowledgeable as Tom and Jim and that may be a hard act to follow as they have a long history in the business). I do hope they continue growing and are able to maintain the level of service currently attained. It's quite amazing and hard to find these days!

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
post #24894 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 06:08 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
@cavchameleon ….. That's a great write up of your impressions. It's pretty cool you have so many great subwoofers scattered throughout your home. And it's good to read some impressions of the recently released 15S. Congratulations on all your fun toys.
Thanks! Hopefully I can take some measurements soon on all the subs. The 15S is quite amazing! I was actually surprised. It's not that large (so anyone can place this in just about any room without it taking over if that's an issue). In that room it replaced a Boston Acoustics 12" sub, CPS 12Wi. There is no comparison! The S1500 will be replacing an old Velodyne DPS model, I expect that also to be put to shame. It's nice to have such great subs, we're into music (and movies) and this completes having nice sounding systems all around. The speakers are just fine for rooms for now (all NHT Classic Series). When we move to a bigger place, then I may have to consider more efficient speakers, but I love the sound of NHT sealed speakers and they work great in our rooms.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
post #24895 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermoform View Post
Set your MiniDSP delay to zero and run YPAO on your receiver to set the "distance". Are you running sweeps with a mic and REW? If so, check your delay by running a sweep set to 10hz on either side of your crossover (if 80hz, run sweep from 70-90hz).
My Yamaha does not like the YPAO distance messed with, so once that set, I'd say leave it alone and use the MiniDSP for and more correction. But your receiver should nail it at the crossover frequency.
My Yamaha will do 2 subs, but I have 4. I was thinking I could run the front 2 off sub out 1 on the AVR and the rear 2 off sub out 2 on the AVR. Then use the miniDSP to correct the delay between the left & right fronts and the left & right rears, then let the AVR set the delays between the front and rear...If that makes any sense.

Once I have it where it sounds close, I will do some sweeps with REW so I fine tune it a little better.

Yamaha RX-A2060 | Outlaw M-2200 (x5) | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST : CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | Amber In-ceiling | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP DDRC-88BM | Belkin PureAV (x2)

Last edited by ceh383; 01-11-2016 at 07:13 AM.
ceh383 is offline  
post #24896 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
k1n3t1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
My Yamaha will do 2 subs, but I have 4. I was thinking I could run the front 2 off sub out 1 on the AVR and the rear 2 off sub out 2 on the AVR. Then use the miniDSP to correct the delay between the left & right fronts and the left & right rears, then let the AVR set the delays between the front and rear...If that makes any sense.

Once I have it where it sounds close, I will do some sweeps with REW so I fine tune it a little better.
I have a Yamaha A3040 - just wanted to inquire as to what Layout setting your subs are set to on your A2020? No matter the location of my subs, they have always sounded best with 2x Monaural vs Left/Right and vs Front/Back. It definitely sounds like you know what you're doing and it seems what you described should be the optimal layout. If your two mains (w/DefTech integrated subs) are equidistant from the MLP, I wouldn't hesitate to run them under 1 distance setting. But, since you have the option for 4 distances with the MiniDSP, why the hell not?

To possibly simplify your configuration, do your speakers have the ability to integrate the subs with the normal line inputs from the AVR? I have never heard them before or anything, but will they even be able to hang with the PSA drivers, once configured?

EDIT: Looked at your speakers - the subwoofer portions have no delay option and it looks like it may be difficult to run another set of line inputs to the subs. I'm guessing their intentions are if you buy those, you aren't going to want/need more bass. The closest bass drivers need the most delay as your furthest sub would get 0ms and only increase delay as the drivers are closer to the MLP so everything 'hits you at once'. You'll definitely want the MiniDSP in your setup! Keep us posted.

Travis

Last edited by k1n3t1k; 01-11-2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: R&D
k1n3t1k is offline  
post #24897 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 11,746
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6388 Post(s)
Liked: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
My Yamaha will do 2 subs, but I have 4. I was thinking I could run the front 2 off sub out 1 on the AVR and the rear 2 off sub out 2 on the AVR. Then use the miniDSP to correct the delay between the left & right fronts and the left & right rears, then let the AVR set the delays between the front and rear...If that makes any sense.

Once I have it where it sounds close, I will do some sweeps with REW so I fine tune it a little better.
That is debatable.


The "subwoofers" in the DTs can just barely qualify for that label. If it was me, I'd run the DTs "full range" (using the subs as just woofers, no LFE cable, with the speakers set to "small") and use your two true subwoofers as subs. It would cause you less headaches and probably sound better.

Just my 2 cents.
Alan P is offline  
post #24898 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
That is debatable.


The "subwoofers" in the DTs can just barely qualify for that label. If it was me, I'd run the DTs "full range" (using the subs as just woofers, no LFE cable, with the speakers set to "small") and use your two true subwoofers as subs. It would cause you less headaches and probably sound better.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. My front towers are rated down to 27 Hz, but are actually flat to 25 Hz in my room. I run them as 'small' with an XO of 60 Hz and let the subs do the heavy lifting that they were made to do. Also, the best placement for bass/subs is never the same as best placement for mains/speakers. As Alan stated, try it out. You may just be surprised. And don't think that you'll be 'wasting' your subs from your towers, you won't.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
post #24899 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
Another great review for PSA, I LOVE my S3600I!!!!!!!!

http://hometheaterreview.com/power-s...ofer-reviewed/
cavchameleon and Hopinater like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
Mike Butny is offline  
post #24900 of 52380 Old 01-11-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 5,836
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
S3000i, 15S, and S1500

So I finally thought I’d chime in (have only once when I initially was purchasing my first PSA subs). At the end of the summer (2015) I decided it was time to upgrade the subs in our media room, which did not have a very low extension (dropped off quickly under 20 Hz – which was great for music but lacking in a lot of movies which had much lower bass). I went through a lot of threads here on AVS covering different subs (and corresponding manufacture web sites for more info). There are a lot of great companies out there but I finally decided on PSA because of members’ constant testimonials on quality, price to performance ratio, and customer service.
I love these testimonials. We see them often here on the PSA owner’s thread. Everyone who has needed Tom’s/Jim’s help has received that assistance in spades. I’ve had some great customer service from Ed at SVS (as I’m sure other manufacturer reps have done for their customers), but Tom and company go beyond even that. Add in products that are size/price/performance leaders, along with “perks” normally only found through SVS, and is it any wonder that PSA has attained its astonishing growth?
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off