Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 869 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66731Likes

post #26041 of 53018 Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Thanks Hopinator for your input and personal opinion on the V3600's...I ain't no noob, but I have learned a lot about bass just reading this thread, particularly over the last few pages. So thanks everybody....basshead, Alan, Toe, Craig, Hopinator, and the rest of you basstards, lol.

Toe...if you can be so gracious, I would greatly appreciate your input on how musically capable the V3600's are in your opinion. My gear usage is about 60% movies and 40% music just because it is easier to get to use my gear if I can include the kids and the kids tend to enjoy movies more....although my 6 year old lights up like a Christmas tree when daddy turns on the hi-fi....the kid has an ear.
basshead81 and Hopinater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26042 of 53018 Old 04-26-2016, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Anyone else feel PSA is following them around the Internet?
Hopinater likes this.
post #26043 of 53018 Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Well I'm not toe, but i can vouch for the musicality of the v3600. hell, i'll go out on a limb and vouch for movies too.
The 3600 is a beast in every sense of the word, but it is amazingly "delicate" during music as well. Jazz, r&b, country, rock, rap....it doesn't matter what variation you like or listen to, the 3600 will completely debunk the idea that 18's or ported lack with music. I all but guarantee that if you could conceal the 3600 (good luck there btw) and allow people to listen to music they would be hard pressed to tell you ported/sealed. Smooth, articulate, quick, accurate.....no matter what hot word of the day you want to use, it does fit with the 3600. don't get hung up on size or ported/sealed...i've heard/owned both ported/sealed and have owned 8/10/15 and now 18. Out of all these subs the 3600 trumps them all. It's a fantastic sub by all measurements and it puts a smile on my face each time i fire it up. IMO, you should invest in Nike and "Just Do It." You won't be mad.
brahman12 and Hopinater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26044 of 53018 Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked: 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahman12 View Post
Thanks Hopinator for your input and personal opinion on the V3600's...I ain't no noob, but I have learned a lot about bass just reading this thread, particularly over the last few pages. So thanks everybody....basshead, Alan, Toe, Craig, Hopinator, and the rest of you basstards, lol.

Toe...if you can be so gracious, I would greatly appreciate your input on how musically capable the V3600's are in your opinion. My gear usage is about 60% movies and 40% music just because it is easier to get to use my gear if I can include the kids and the kids tend to enjoy movies more....although my 6 year old lights up like a Christmas tree when daddy turns on the hi-fi....the kid has an ear.
You bet! I can share my experience so far for what it's worth. I can't say how the 3600 compares to a sealed sub for music since I haven't had one in my room, but I can tell you that I am listening to more music these days than movies if that tells you anything. The 3600 replaced a SVS 12/2 Ultra and I use PSA along with 3 PB13 Ultras. One of the first things I noticed was that the 3600 worked noticeably better with my PB13s as far as the general SQ goes. For music, I run pretty much a flat curve, but the subs running a bit hot (I adjust the level on a disc by disc basis)

I also just recently upgraded my speakers to a full PSA setup (210s up front and 110s in the rear for a 7.1 setup) which is a big factor in all the music I have been listening to lately. Just like the PSA speakers, I have found the 3600 and PB13s to be VERY revealing of the source material as I am hearing little details, both good and bad, that get lost in my car or other lesser type system. When you get an impeccably recorded and mixed low end like in the Talking Heads DVD-A Speaking in Tongues ( for example), it is a jaw dropping experience as the 3600 hits fast and hard....I think I used the term "hits like a sledgehammer" in the PSA speaker thread the other day after listening to this disc.

Another example is a 192/24 FLAC Dead show I have from 1990 where Branford Marsalis plays with the band. There is a song (if your not familiar with the Dead) called "Eyes of the World" in this show that is known among heads as one of the all time best versions and a true live improv musical masterpiece. Point being that I have listened to this version of this song literally hundreds of times since it first happened in 1990 and it wasn't until hearing it on the PSA speakers/sub (along with the PB13s) that I realized what a huge part the bass guitar (Phil Lesh) played in this over 16 minute jazzy musical conversation. I had always heard this version as a conversation between Garcia and Branford as they played off eachother communicating musically with the rest of the band acting as support. Hearing it on the PSA gear showed that the bass was nearly as big a communicator as the guitar and saxophone as the 3 musicians are clearly all playing off eachother. It actually floored me because I know this version (I thought) so intimately considering how many times I have heard it in the last 26 years. I felt as if I finally heard the full impact of the song and the subs played a major part in this.

Just in the last week I have been floored with a number of musical experiences as far as the bass goes. First being the Talking Heads disc already mentioned. The second was the new Roger Waters The Wall blu ray which has some great bass moments (for a concert) throughout. The last 4 or 5 songs in particular starting with "Run Like Hell" showcased some great musical bass that was tight and punchy along with some effects bass thrown in that had me and my GF in awe with our jaws hanging open! The other disc that floored us was U2 Rattle and Hum from the song "Bad" on. Bad in particular has 2 sections where the bass kicks in super low (for rock music) and extremely loud to the point that it pressurizes the room and creates these waves of bass that wash over you in a shuttering, vision blurring type effect that is absolutely a mind blower! Again, I have heard this track countless times inymy HT over the years and while it has always been impressive and hit hard it was clearly at the next level.

I have listened to a wide range of music otherwise on cd, sacd, DVD-A and blu ray audio since getting the 3600 and anything impeccably recorded and mixed is amazing. Everything from Bob Dylan, Rap, Dream Theater, Metallica, Floyd, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Flaming Lips, Big Band Music, The Dead, Talking Heads, Phish, Widespread Panic, etc.....these speakers/sub seem to handle everything well to one degree or another which I couldn't say the same with my JBLs.

I'm rambling, but point is I have been VERY impressed with the 3600 and PSA speakers for music. I actually can't stop buying multichannel music discs! Just bought 5 more Talking Heads albums on DVD-A which are on the way and can't wait to hear them. Hope that helps somewhat and sorry my thoughts are a bit scattered.

Last edited by Toe; 04-26-2016 at 09:27 PM.
post #26045 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
To top it off I still do not know how you are not pressurizing even that large space with the subwoofage you have. I would expect 125db above 30hz in that room or something is wrong. Perhaps you have some phase issues and the subs are fighting each other and not working together.
OK, here's what I got with the max compression sweeps last night. I should be getting more than this, right? Any suggestions??

I'm almost starting to suspect my AVR.

On another note, I decided to re-check my speaker trims with REW and found them to be about 3dB low across the board. I bumped everything up and believe it all sound just a bit better now...I'm sure some of that is due to the fact that DynEQ is now working a little harder.

I played WotW:Pod Emerges at reference and I was hitting 125-130dB peaks (using RTA) with no audible issues. I was getting some "pants-flapping" at that level, but still none of the "underwater" feeling in the ears. I did get that "underwater" feeling for a split second (probably around 5-15hz on the sweep) when I was doing the two highest compression sweeps though.

EDIT: Could also be my mic effecting the low end of those sweeps. I'm using a UMM-6 and I know those aren't so good down low like the CSL UMIK-1 mics are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	max compression.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1408170  
basshead81 and Hopinater like this.
post #26046 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
You bet! I can share my experience so far for what it's worth. I can't say how the 3600 compares to a sealed sub for music since I haven't had one in my room, but I can tell you that I am listening to more music these days than movies if that tells you anything. The 3600 replaced a SVS 12/2 Ultra and I use PSA along with 3 PB13 Ultras. One of the first things I noticed was that the 3600 worked noticeably better with my PB13s as far as the general SQ goes. For music, I run pretty much a flat curve, but the subs running a bit hot (I adjust the level on a disc by disc basis)

I also just recently upgraded my speakers to a full PSA setup (210s up front and 110s in the rear for a 7.1 setup) which is a big factor in all the music I have been listening to lately. Just like the PSA speakers, I have found the 3600 and PB13s to be VERY revealing of the source material as I am hearing little details, both good and bad, that get lost in my car or other lesser type system. When you get an impeccably recorded and mixed low end like in the Talking Heads DVD-A Speaking in Tongues ( for example), it is a jaw dropping experience as the 3600 hits fast and hard....I think I used the term "hits like a sledgehammer" in the PSA speaker thread the other day after listening to this disc.

Another example is a 192/24 FLAC Dead show I have from 1990 where Branford Marsalis plays with the band. There is a song (if your not familiar with the Dead) called "Eyes of the World" in this show that is known among heads as one of the all time best versions and a true live improv musical masterpiece. Point being that I have listened to this version of this song literally hundreds of times since it first happened in 1990 and it wasn't until hearing it on the PSA speakers/sub (along with the PB13s) that I realized what a huge part the bass guitar (Phil Lesh) played in this over 16 minute jazzy musical conversation. I had always heard this version as a conversation between Garcia and Branford as they played off eachother communicating musically with the rest of the band acting as support. Hearing it on the PSA gear showed that the bass was nearly as big a communicator as the guitar and saxophone as the 3 musicians are clearly all playing off eachother. It actually floored me because I know this version (I thought) so intimately considering how many times I have heard it in the last 26 years. I felt as if I finally heard the full impact of the song and the subs played a major part in this.

Just in the last week I have been floored with a number of musical experiences as far as the bass goes. First being the Talking Heads disc already mentioned. The second was the new Roger Waters The Wall blu ray which has some great bass moments (for a concert) throughout. The last 4 or 5 songs in particular starting with "Run Like Hell" showcased some great musical bass that was tight and punchy along with some effects bass thrown in that had me and my GF in awe with our jaws hanging open! The other disc that floored us was U2 Rattle and Hum from the song "Bad" on. Bad in particular has 2 sections where the bass kicks in super low (for rock music) and extremely loud to the point that it pressurizes the room and creates these waves of bass that wash over you in a shuttering, vision blurring type effect that is absolutely a mind blower! Again, I have heard this track countless times inymy HT over the years and while it has always been impressive and hit hard it was clearly at the next level.

I have listened to a wide range of music otherwise on cd, sacd, DVD-A and blu ray audio since getting the 3600 and anything impeccably recorded and mixed is amazing. Everything from Bob Dylan, Rap, Dream Theater, Metallica, Floyd, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Flaming Lips, Big Band Music, The Dead, Talking Heads, Phish, Widespread Panic, etc.....these speakers/sub seem to handle everything well to one degree or another which I couldn't say the same with my JBLs.

I'm rambling, but point is I have been VERY impressed with the 3600 and PSA speakers for music. I actually can't stop buying multichannel music discs! Just bought 5 more Talking Heads albums on DVD-A which are on the way and can't wait to hear them. Hope that helps somewhat and sorry my thoughts are a bit scattered.
Toe,

What MV levels are we talking here??
post #26047 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 9723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
OK, here's what I got with the max compression sweeps last night. I should be getting more than this, right? Any suggestions??

On another note, I decided to re-check my speaker trims with REW and found them to be about 3dB low across the board. I bumped everything up and believe it all sound just a bit better now...I'm sure some of that is due to the fact that DynEQ is now working a little harder.

I played WotW:Pod Emerges at reference and I was hitting 125-130dB peaks (using RTA) with no audible issues. I was getting some "pants-flapping" at that level, but still none of the "underwater" feeling in the ears. I did get that "underwater" feeling for a split second (probably around 5-15hz on the sweep) when I was doing the two highest compression sweeps though.

EDIT: Could also be my mic effecting the low end of those sweeps. I'm using a UMM-6 and I know those aren't so good down low like the CSL UMIK-1 mics are.
I think the low end roll off is due to the mic...we have the same one and I get the same type of roll off. Other then that, I think that is pretty solid output for your size of room. I think we are in the same ball park far as output, I am 125+ above 30hz, close to 120db @ 20hz, 118db @ 18hz, 113db @ 15hz. See how expensive large rooms are? 3k worth of subs in 2400^3 will net similar performance to 9k of subs it 5000^3 +. Imagine if you had all that fire power in 2400^3...you would quickly be learning sign language.

Also if you get a chance, download the "Vibrometer" app if you have a android device and measure the tactile response. I hit 7.2 playing heavy bass music, have not tried it with movies...I read somebody in the ULF thread hit 7.2 @ 10hz .
Alan P likes this.

Last edited by basshead81; 04-27-2016 at 08:55 AM.
post #26048 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Toe

Quote:
Toe,

What MV levels are we talking here??
Music mastering levels are all over the place. Something like Talking Heads Stop Making Sense (probably my favorite live surround concert mix)I listen at around +9 over reference, but to get the same subjective volume level on something like Police Certifiable which is hotly mastered and compressed you only need to go to around -9 below reference. I always just turn it up until it is comfortably loud and make note of that level on a sticky so I know where to set it for next listen. I also jot down any changes I tweaked for bass, treble and crossover since everything is mixed and mastered differently.
Alan P and Hopinater like this.
post #26049 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 9723
Quote:
Music mastering levels are all over the place. Something like Talking Heads Stop Making Sense (probably my favorite live surround concert mix)I listen at around +9 over reference, but to get the same subjective volume level on something like Police Certifiable which is hotly mastered and compressed you only need to go to around -9 below reference. I always just turn it up until it is comfortably loud and make note of that level on a sticky so I know where to set it for next listen. I also jot down any changes I tweaked for bass, treble and crossover since everything is mixed and mastered differently.
That is the most annoying part of audio imo. I wish there was a set standard for HD recordings so you do not have to adjust your setup each time you listen to different material.
ss nimrod likes this.
post #26050 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:

a great scene for the "underwater pressure" is from the new Star wars...where Kylo interrogates Po
Toe, basshead81 and Hopinater like this.
post #26051 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Toe

Quote:
That is the most annoying part of audio imo. I wish there was a set standard for HD recordings so you do not have to adjust your setup each time you listen to different material.
I agree and it is very annoying!

Sorry Alan, just realized you were asking about the U2 disc in particular. That was the HD-DVD version of Rattle and Hum using the DTS-ES 6.1 track which we had at +3.5 over reference with the subs running hot ~4-5dbs.

Last edited by Toe; 04-27-2016 at 09:32 AM.
post #26052 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I think the low end roll off is due to the mic...we have the same one and I get the same type of roll off.
That's good to know. Is your UMM-6 held together by packing tape as well? Very delicate these mics are!

Quote:
Other then that, I think that is pretty solid output for your size of room. I think we are in the same ball park far as output, I am 125+ above 30hz, close to 120db @ 20hz, 118db @ 18hz, 113db @ 15hz. See how expensive large rooms are? 3k worth of subs in 2400^3 will net similar performance to 9k of subs it 5000^3 +.
Good to know as well. Nice to know there's not something in my chain that's effing things up.

Quote:
Imagine if you had all that fire power in 2400^3...you would quickly be learning sign language.
That wall has recently become priority number 1...I just got to get the dang house level before I can put it in.

Quote:
Also if you get a chance, download the "Vibrometer" app if you have a android device and measure the tactile response. I hit 7.2 playing heavy bass music, have not tried it with movies...I read somebody in the ULF thread hit 7.2 @ 10hz .
I was following that thread for a while but never downloaded the app. Doing that right now and I'll give it a go tonight.

Thanks again for all your help bh!
basshead81 likes this.
post #26053 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that was kind of a stupid question.

I was curious about Rattle & Hum in particular since I have that one.
post #26054 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I agree and it is very annoying!

Sorry Alan, just realized you were asking about the U2 disc in particular. That was the HD-DVD version of Rattle and Hum using the DTS-ES 6.1 track which we had at +3.5 over refernce with the sub running hot ~4-5dbs.
Perfect! Thanks!

However, I only have the CD...I'll give a spin anyways. One of my favorite U2 discs anyways.
Toe likes this.
post #26055 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Toe...Dude...that was an awesome post. Thanks for responding and for putting in so much effort to try and get your point across. I could feel your excitement and passion through your typed words, lol. Really cool stuff. I know we all hear differently and have different tastes but when you get a meaningful and well thought out post, it does help others with trying to formulate a decision when they don't have their own reference point to vibe off of. When you talked about being very familiar with certain material by having listened to said material countless times, but then being awestruck all over again by how the material is being reproduced through the V3600....I knew exactly what you meant, and I am looking forward to watching my Rattle and Hum HD-DVD for the billionth time and getting that "hi-fi high" that is a deeply gratifying result of our beloved hobby. Whether it is through the artistic expression of cinema or music, those moments make the money spent worth every penny IMO.
Toe likes this.
post #26056 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
Well I'm not toe, but i can vouch for the musicality of the v3600. hell, i'll go out on a limb and vouch for movies too.
The 3600 is a beast in every sense of the word, but it is amazingly "delicate" during music as well. Jazz, r&b, country, rock, rap....it doesn't matter what variation you like or listen to, the 3600 will completely debunk the idea that 18's or ported lack with music. I all but guarantee that if you could conceal the 3600 (good luck there btw) and allow people to listen to music they would be hard pressed to tell you ported/sealed. Smooth, articulate, quick, accurate.....no matter what hot word of the day you want to use, it does fit with the 3600. don't get hung up on size or ported/sealed...i've heard/owned both ported/sealed and have owned 8/10/15 and now 18. Out of all these subs the 3600 trumps them all. It's a fantastic sub by all measurements and it puts a smile on my face each time i fire it up. IMO, you should invest in Nike and "Just Do It." You won't be mad.

Thanks Dirk...I mean Digler (movie reference lol)...thanks for your input and for taking the time. Every little bit helps. I have been rockin' out dual 12's for the last ten or so years (SVS PC-12 NSD and SVS PC 20-39+) but my previous theater room in Brooklyn was only 2500 cubic feet and my current one is 5130 cubic feet. Thus, I want (need) an upgrade and I Jedi mind tricked the wife into believing that a new and bigger room needs, new and bigger subs . Lots of love for and leaning towards the V3600 pair, but that damn JTR Orbit Shifter keeps pulling at me as well. But in the next day or two I will "Just Do It" one way or another.
post #26057 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahman12 View Post
Toe...Dude...that was an awesome post. Thanks for responding and for putting in so much effort to try and get your point across. I could feel your excitement and passion through your typed words, lol. Really cool stuff. I know we all hear differently and have different tastes but when you get a meaningful and well thought out post, it does help others with trying to formulate a decision when they don't have their own reference point to vibe off of. When you talked about being very familiar with certain material by having listened to said material countless times, but then being awestruck all over again by how the material is being reproduced through the V3600....I knew exactly what you meant, and I am looking forward to watching my Rattle and Hum HD-DVD for the billionth time and getting that "hi-fi high" that is a deeply gratifying result of our beloved hobby. Whether it is through the artistic expression of cinema or music, those moments make the money spent worth every penny IMO.
Right-on my friend! Glad I could help and report back once you get whatever you decide on!
post #26058 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
My S1500 is in Herford, Texas. That's about half way....

Boom boom just around the corner.

Watched Battle for LA last night. That might be one we watch again with new SW.
cmdrdredd, Mike Butny and Roadwar like this.
post #26059 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
SVS PC-12 NSD

That's what I had for some time, just one. Mine is worn out. I figured Tom V had a hand in the NSD so went to him for direction and now the S1500.
brahman12, ss nimrod and Roadwar like this.
post #26060 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3586 Post(s)
Liked: 11422
Toe and Dig… well said regarding the musicality of the V3600. And it's a match made in heaven when it's paired with the speakers.
Toe and brahman12 like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #26061 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
I think the low end roll off is due to the mic...we have the same one and I get the same type of roll off. Other then that, I think that is pretty solid output for your size of room. I think we are in the same ball park far as output, I am 125+ above 30hz, close to 120db @ 20hz, 118db @ 18hz, 113db @ 15hz. See how expensive large rooms are? 3k worth of subs in 2400^3 will net similar performance to 9k of subs it 5000^3 +. Imagine if you had all that fire power in 2400^3...you would quickly be learning sign language.

I've got a UMIK and REW. How do I test the actual output at various frequencies as you mentioned in your thread (i.e. 125 dB+ above 30 Hz, 118 dB @ 18 Hz)? Any worries about heating up the voice coil while doing this high output testing?

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #26062 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Here's how I do it:

1) Set up REW to output to HDMI CH4 (LFE)
2) Set AVR MV (master volume) to 0
3) Open the measurement dialogue (CTRL+M) and set the start to 5hz, end 200hz, sweep level -33dB FS, length to 256k
4) Add +5dB FS and repeat the measurements until you see compression in the frequency response graph

The highest you can measure is -3dB FS, if you need/want to go higher, just raise the MV level.

Make sure you have DynEQ off if you have an AVR with Audyssey.

With these short of sweeps from REW and the limiters in the PSA subs, there shouldn't be any danger of doing any damage, of course YMMV.

Last edited by Alan P; 04-27-2016 at 05:03 PM.
post #26063 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was curious about Rattle & Hum in particular since I have that one.
I also have this CD but now I think it might be time to get the version Toe is talking about.

Toe where are you buying most of your HD music from?

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #26064 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
4) Add +5dB FS and repeat the measurements until you see compression in the frequency response graph
I'm interested in trying this. How do I recognize compression in the graph? Thanks.

=====
Enjoying Atmos, DTS:X, & a quad dose of PSA these days.
post #26065 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattboyer View Post
I'm interested in trying this. How do I recognize compression in the graph? Thanks.
When the trace doesn't go up linearly.

I just did some compression sweeps last night and posted them this morning. If you look at the top two traces, you can see compression starting to set in around 20hz on the -3dB trace, and gets even worse on the +2dB trace.

I think the compression on the very low end (<15hz) is due to my mic (UMM-6), so disregard that.

post #26066 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Here's how I do it:

1) Set up REW to output to HDMI CH4 (LFE)
2) Set AVR MV (master volume) to 0
3) Open the measurement dialogue (CTRL+M) and set the start to 5hz, end 200hz, sweep level -33dB FS, length to 256k

The highest you can measure is -3dB FS, if you need/want to go higher, just raise the MV level.

Make sure you have DynEQ off if you have an AVR with Audyssey.

With these short of sweeps from REW and the limiters in the PSA subs, there shouldn't be any danger of doing any damage, of course YMMV.

I wanted to mention that in my post above, I said to set the start to 5hz...if you have ported subs, there would be no reason to start that low. Adjust your starting frequency accordingly.
post #26067 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I also have this CD but now I think it might be time to get the version Toe is talking about.

Toe where are you buying most of your HD music from?
Most of the stuff I have looked for has been on either Amazon or ebay. Some of the rare out of production albums though I have had to pay a bit more for than I would have liked. I have also purchased some albums at other various random sites like the Pink Floyd store for the 5.1 Division Bell DVD (One of the best 5.1 recordings/mixes!) and a few other places that I can't recall off hand.

If you go to the surround music formats forum here on AVS you will be turned on to some good releases and where to buy.

Also quadraphonicquad.com has a "polls" section that discusses most surround releases and even takes a vote from members so you can see which discs are rated the best as far as a general consensus. I have found most the stuff rated in the 8-10 range to be a safe bet.

Also, don't be afraid to import since there is no region coding for sacd (and I believe DVD-A and blu ray audio is the same way, but not 100% sure on that).

I have had that U2 HD-DVD since HD-DVD was still around. Looks like the blu ray is going for about $50 (!) on Amazon unfortunately so it must be OOP.

Sorry, I would throw out some links but not sure how to do it on my phone and I got rid of my cable/internet at home (so my phone is my only link to the web right now besides work, but I'm usually out in the field).
Hopinater likes this.

Last edited by Toe; 04-27-2016 at 06:38 PM.
post #26068 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Thanks Toe. I appreciate it. Especially if you had to type all that on a phone. I stink at typing on my phone. But my kids are masters at it.
Toe likes this.

post #26069 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
it's a match made in heaven when it's paired with the speakers.
very true words here gentlemen.....the 210t's just sing in unison with the 3600. even as powerful as the 3600 is, the 210t's refuse to be outshined. it's a fantastic blend and it puts a smile on my face every time i fire these bad boys up.
lizrussspike and ss nimrod like this.
post #26070 of 53018 Old 04-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
I think the low end roll off is due to the mic...we have the same one and I get the same type of roll off. Other then that, I think that is pretty solid output for your size of room. I think we are in the same ball park far as output, I am 125+ above 30hz, close to 120db @ 20hz, 118db @ 18hz, 113db @ 15hz. See how expensive large rooms are? 3k worth of subs in 2400^3 will net similar performance to 9k of subs it 5000^3 +. Imagine if you had all that fire power in 2400^3...you would quickly be learning sign language. .

Basshead - what size subs are you running and in what size room?

I've got dual S3600i subs Left and Right of MLP, both at 8' away, small room and run 97 dB at 7 Hz, 104 dB at 10 Hz, 106 dB at 20 Hz, 108 dB at 40 Hz, roughly 115 dB from 50 to 90 Hz and 104 dB at 100 Hz measured using a UMIK. Specs show 63 - 100 Hz at 135 dB. I assume I should subtract 10 dB due to being 8 feet away and then add 3 dB for duals - that should be 135 dB - 10 dB distance + 3 dB dual subs = 128 dB without factoring in any room gain. Any idea why I'm only measuring 115 dB in this frequency range?

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page