Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 882 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 67060Likes

post #26431 of 53134 Old 05-28-2016, 08:27 PM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I just double checked my settings and found that I had my subs set 3dB over Audyssey when I thought it was 4dB. So I set it to 5dB over Audyssey. WOW! I didn't realize how much more my subs had in reserve! I no longer care about adding another sub!
Alan P likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, DUAL PSA XS30SE's, ATV4K, 75X940E, UBPX700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26432 of 53134 Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
A great example of why there are so many of us buying PSA subs - besides their awesome performance/looks/quality. Thanks for posting your experience, allows potential buyers to see what they can expect from Tom and company should a problem arise.

To those considering PSA, posts like this are few and far between
smurraybhm, i'm so dang proud of you...for real. i remember reading some of your very first posts and thinking, this guy is an idiot and totally blaming the wrong side with his complaints. it's so good to see that you have seen the light and now a great advocate for PSA. I know i don't post a ton here, certainly not as much as most, but i post when i feel i can add something worth while. I've known of tom since the SVS days, and got on in the fairly early days with PSA. I've had a chance on a few occasions to visit Tom and Jim when I've picked up new toys from them, and when i say they are great people i'm not exaggerating in any way shape or form. the reason i speak praises of PSA is because i KNOW their products are solid...but that doesn't mean a hill of beans if you have jerks running the company. Tom and Jim truly seem to enjoy what they do, and i'm sure they make a great living doing so. nothing wrong with that at all, as that is what makes the US of A so great. Profit is NOT a dirty word, and every american is entitled to as much money as they can rightfully achieve. PSA makes a FANTASTIC product in every category, and while they do profit, they TOTALLY keep their customers/PSA family in mind and take care of them well. Many companies take their profits and run, but PSA takes their profits and make sure ALL their customers are 100% satisfied. I've worked in sales for a few decades, and all i can say is that no matter how good you are you just can't always make everyone 100% happy. believe it or not, there is such thing as an unreasonable customer, and believe it or not folks, the customer is NOT always right. say what you want, but that's a fact. In this day and age of frivolous lawsuits and one of the largest pools of unreasonable and idiot consumers, PSA still finds a way to have an almost flawless reputation for customer service. I tip my hat to you Tom and Jim, because you guys just plain get it. i think more than any company in existence, you guys listen to the complaint and try to find a solution versus finding an excuse not to help. finding excuses is such a big problem these days, and i think that is exactly why everyone is so impressed with your business model. big kudos to PSA, and for those that are reading and still on the fence I can only say this.... Put all the subs from all the ID companies in the same room for a blind testing, and you MAY be hard pressed to hear a definitive difference. some may, some may not but i can say it probably won't be easy to distinguish a difference. what i CAN guarantee for you, is that tom and jim will absolutely give you some of the best customer service you have experienced in your life with no sacrifice in product quality. while some may think customer service is generally the same wherever you go, i would say you haven't worked with a crappy company. CS is very important these days and the summary of this long winded paragraph is that you won't feel you made the wrong choice if you purchase from PSA. and that's before OR after the sale. top notch company with top notch products. simple as that.
smurraybhm, gbreda and Madmax67 like this.
post #26433 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
smurraybhm, i'm so dang proud of you...for real. i remember reading some of your very first posts and thinking, this guy is an idiot and totally blaming the wrong side with his complaints. it's so good to see that you have seen the light and now a great advocate for PSA.
Thanks! I may still or have had a few more moments of idiocy on this forum, but at least I am able to recognize them and try to correct them

They do seem to be less frequent the older I get. Hope everyone is enjoying their PSA products this weekend like I am. That deal on 210s had me thinking, but I just bought some Oppo headphones and need a new display for upstairs. Priorities can always change though.
gbreda likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26434 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I just double checked my settings and found that I had my subs set 3dB over Audyssey when I thought it was 4dB. So I set it to 5dB over Audyssey. WOW! I didn't realize how much more my subs had in reserve! I no longer care about adding another sub!
Same thing happened here last week when I accidentally increased my subs by 5 instead of decreasing by 5. Running 10 over ARC setting and I am getting the slam I have been looking for in music. Even though it is +5 over 0 on the trim, no clipping to be heard and it sounds fantastic!! My thoughts of looking towards ported have gone away real quick.
mnc likes this.
post #26435 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well said @digler84 .

As I run operations for a small-mid size sales/service business in a pool of corporate run companies, IMO you are spot on.
post #26436 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Well I just had a chat with Tom and he actually recommended an S3000i! I'm sure that would really shake things up, but after giving it more thought I'm going to start upgrading my speakers first. It really makes more sense. Still, a third sub may happen later down the road!
I was actually going to recommend the speaker path myself. Upgrade your speakers first because you already have solid bass and unless you really need the headroom and you want to blast your bass I think you will notice a much larger difference with new PSA speakers.

EDIT: Never mind, as I continued down through the posts I see you already discovered you don't need more subs. Cool… Now you can grab those speakers. But I agree with Jeff, I would focus on the front stage first.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

Last edited by Hopinater; 05-29-2016 at 11:36 AM.
post #26437 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
@basshead81 or Tom can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the new amps don't work that way. Connecting to both inputs will gain you nothing AFAIK.

P.S. On amps that DO work that way, it's a 6dB gain.
Not sure if it applies for all the current PSA subs/amps, but Tom had recently mentioned to me that using a splitter to both inputs on my V1800s would yield the 6dB gain.

=====
Enjoying Atmos, DTS:X, & a quad dose of PSA these days.
post #26438 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I have two XS15SEs in a sealed off room that is 18x17. They absolutely rock it; great bass and balanced over the listening area. Recently I tried two more, for a total of 4 in a variety of different positions and couldn't get an appreciable performance gain.

Anyone else ever had this happen?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #26439 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know we have been talking a lot about PSA's incredible customer service lately but I just finished reading through the thread of a different ID company (where there seems to be much strife over customer service issues)… it was pretty sad.

However, reading through that thread really made me thankful that Tom and Jim do what they do. There's absolutely no stress when ordering from PSA and I think I took that for granted.

Anyway, after reading that thread I just wanted to give Tom and Jim a public thank you for ALWAYS being there to support us. You make this hobby easy and fun.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #26440 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
I have two XS15SEs in a sealed off room that is 18x17. They absolutely rock it; great bass and balanced over the listening area. Recently I tried two more, for a total of 4 in a variety of different positions and couldn't get an appreciable performance gain.

Anyone else ever had this happen?
You get your biggest performance increase going from one sub to two. After that each sub you add is a less noticeable gain. Not to say it shouldn't be done but you should lower your expectations (for noticeable gain) with each additional sub. But that doesn't mean you didn't smooth out the bass throughout the room.
Madmax67 likes this.

post #26441 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 9769
2 subs = +6db gain , 4 subs equal +12db gain. The caveat is setting them up properly which gets more difficult as you add more subs. Also, 4 subs can smooth all room modes where 2 can not, but again it takes some time to setup and the willingness to exhaust all placement options. Simply designating spots where you think the subs look the best often yields poor results.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #26442 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
2 subs = +6db gain , 4 subs equal +12db gain. The caveat is setting them up properly which gets more difficult as you add more subs. Also, 4 subs can smooth all room modes where 2 can not, but again it takes some time to setup and the willingness to exhaust all placement options. Simply designating spots where you think the subs look the best often yields poor results.

Assuming there was more gain (from what I've read the full 12 db is seen when placed closely; which I didn't do) I didn't need it. I don't have any appreciable room mode spikes or dips with the two subs, at the listening area (3 man sofa), but I do in the corner of the room (a modest spike) but I don't watch movies, or critical listening from there so I don't care. I didn't check to see if it was gone in my testing. Assuming it did fix it, I can't imagine I'd spend money on that because, again, I don't listen from there. I have full freedom in placement, I tried several combinations outside the extreme, i.e. placing the sub as a trip hazard in the middle of the room or something.

The only option I didn't choose, and I might get my friend to bring them back over to try it out, is stacking them on top of the two existing subs.
post #26443 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I know we have been talking a lot about PSA's incredible customer service lately but I just finished reading through the thread of a different ID company (where there seems to be much strife over customer service issues)… it was pretty sad.

However, reading through that thread really made me thankful that Tom and Jim do what they do. There's absolutely no stress when ordering from PSA and I think I took that for granted.

Anyway, after reading that thread I just wanted to give Tom and Jim a public thank you for ALWAYS being there to support us. You make this hobby easy and fun.
Just read that thread too, what a mess all the way around!!!!!

Really makes you appreciate how Tom and Jim run their business.
post #26444 of 53134 Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 9769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Assuming there was more gain (from what I've read the full 12 db is seen when placed closely; which I didn't do) I didn't need it. I don't have any appreciable room mode spikes or dips with the two subs, at the listening area (3 man sofa), but I do in the corner of the room (a modest spike) but I don't watch movies, or critical listening from there so I don't care. I didn't check to see if it was gone in my testing. Assuming it did fix it, I can't imagine I'd spend money on that because, again, I don't listen from there. I have full freedom in placement, I tried several combinations outside the extreme, i.e. placing the sub as a trip hazard in the middle of the room or something.

The only option I didn't choose, and I might get my friend to bring them back over to try it out, is stacking them on top of the two existing subs.
Anytime you double displacement while maintaining the same voltage swing you get a +6db gain. However the room will dictate what frequencies see what gains. You could see more or less then +6db at different frequencies when the subs are not mutually couplesld.. When the subs are within 1/4 wavelength then they mutually couple and output increases linear across the FR.
ahblaza and Madmax67 like this.
post #26445 of 53134 Old 05-30-2016, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I just have to pop in here and brag a second on the customer service at PSA. I bought a 15v about a FULL MONTH ago at full price $950 and Tom emails me today to say he's refunding me $50 since they are doing the $900 memorial day sale on them right now. I can't say I've had that happen before. Pretty awesome stuff
post #26446 of 53134 Old 05-30-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked: 10484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
I just have to pop in here and brag a second on the customer service at PSA. I bought a 15v about a FULL MONTH ago at full price $950 and Tom emails me today to say he's refunding me $50 since they are doing the $900 memorial day sale on them right now. I can't say I've had that happen before. Pretty awesome stuff
Hi all, just a heads-up. I only got through about 2/3rd of these today. Been a very crazy weekend(must have done 100+ chats for sure) and I have been flying solo. Anyway, I'm just about zonked(been here since 6:30am) so I'll get to the rest of these tomorrow morning! Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #26447 of 53134 Old 05-30-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 955
I'm sure this is known to most here, but Tom being available on chat pretty much every day is a huge asset, its basically having one of the most knowledgeable people on call for free and one who's willing to give freely of his time and knowledge whether you're a customer or not.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #26448 of 53134 Old 05-30-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Hey Tom,

Do you see any 21" or 24" subwoofer offerings in the future?

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
post #26449 of 53134 Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Thanks! I may still or have had a few more moments of idiocy on this forum, but at least I am able to recognize them and try to correct them
there's nothing wrong with being wrong....as long as you are man enough to admit it when you are. you da' man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Well said @digler84 .

As I run operations for a small-mid size sales/service business in a pool of corporate run companies, IMO you are spot on.
thanks buddy...i meant every last word of it! some people just don't understand why good customer is so important, until they are caught up in a whole world of crap from a company that just doesn't care about anything except getting their money. that is one thing you will never have to deal with when PSA is involved.
post #26450 of 53134 Old 05-30-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Hi all, just a heads-up. I only got through about 2/3rd of these today. Been a very crazy weekend(must have done 100+ chats for sure) and I have been flying solo. Anyway, I'm just about zonked(been here since 6:30am) so I'll get to the rest of these tomorrow morning! Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sounds like what might have been a quiet holiday weekend turned around and into a "very crazy weekend" due to the sale. Its been said earlier, anyone looking for speakers or a great sub at pricing not seen very often had their chance this weekend. Pricing is still up, but likely wont be tomorrow.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #26451 of 53134 Old 05-30-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
Amazing customer service!!! Some other ID companies need to learn from this. People have been asking for refunds from another ID company and have waited weeks or more and Tom sends you a refund you didn't even ask for!!!!!!

Tom was working today too (Memorial Day) saw he was on chat this morning. I hope he got to take the afternoon off.
post #26452 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Sounds like what might have been a quiet holiday weekend turned around and into a "very crazy weekend" due to the sale.
I was actually surprised to see they had a sale at all. PSA sells product as fast as they can make it - sometimes even faster - so it's certainly not like they need the business. Guess Tom's 3 day weekend turned into 4 days of work instead...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #26453 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Amazing customer service!!! Some other ID companies need to learn from this. People have been asking for refunds from another ID company and have waited weeks or more and Tom sends you a refund you didn't even ask for!!!!!!

Tom was working today too (Memorial Day) saw he was on chat this morning. I hope he got to take the afternoon off.
Truly amazing… but it doesn't surprise me. I guarantee Tom didn't take the afternoon off, the man's a Customer Service Machine, he doesn't seem to need rest.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #26454 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked: 3591
I got an email from Tom last night and we were BS'ing, the time stamp on the email was 6:50 PM on a Holiday.............
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #26455 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3481 Post(s)
Liked: 4202
Be careful, PSA customers in RA threads are considered nosy neighbors....lol Funny how the reverse isn't true when RA customers where trying to nab PSA customers via PMs and posts that were intended to direct potential buyers to RA.
post #26456 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Be careful, PSA customers in RA threads are considered nosy neighbors....lol Funny how the reverse isn't true when RA customers where trying to nab PSA customers via PMs and posts that were intended to direct potential buyers to RA.
i forgot about that! thats including the owner doing that
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #26457 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
i forgot about that! thats including the owner doing that
I remember all that. Highly questionable that's for sure.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #26458 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I remember all that. Highly questionable that's for sure.
also a direct violation of forum rules
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #26459 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Not trying to sound like a broken record but...

I have two XV15se, and one stopped working late last week.

Sent Tom an e-mail and he thought it was simply a fuse replacement. Tried that and it didn't work. What happened next? He's shipping me a replacement amp today. Easy peasy.

Holy macaroni, you can't beat PSA and Tom and Jim's customer service.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #26460 of 53134 Old 05-31-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1954
@Brian Fineberg
You have 5 subs in I think around a 1300^ room?
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page