The "Official" Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators Thread. - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1428Likes

post #691 of 2375 Old 07-08-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
So, to get the most improvement not only would I want the crowson to not be sitting on the carpet pad, but I would also not want any of the isolators to be on the carpet pad either?
The isolators on carpet pad doesn't matter. The more the couch can move freely where it touches the floor with the isolators, the better. The problem is when the crowsons units are not on a hard surface. Looking at it from a physics standpoint, they're essentially expanding, putting equal force upwards and downwards. If there is any give downwards, into your floor, that's energy that is not being put upwards into your couch. The harder the surface the crowsons are on the better, and the more isolated your couch is from that fixed surface, the better.
Scott Simonian likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 2375 Old 07-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
Hmm.....interesting. You have me second guessing myself now. I took in-room, loop back, and preout measurements when I did this, but now I don't remember if I took the in-room and loop back for sub1 before I turned on sub2 for my crowsons. If what your saying holds to my Onkyo, then I may have been listening to my system without XT32 for the last 6 months! I will go home today and see in XT32 is still engaged.
Did u find out if your sub out 2 is still un eq'd?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
post #693 of 2375 Old 07-13-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Tried that with my Marantz. Doesn't work. Newer Denon's are the same. Soon as you activate Sub 2 it takes you out of Audyssey and request a new Audy Calibration. It's all or nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 2375 Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Back on page 15 there's discussion about the importance and difference of what backs the Crowsons. I think Crowson website mentions a 40 percent loss when placed on carpet. So when we put plywood or better under our seating we can immediately feel the difference. The website mentions 20 percent loss on wood(don't know if that's wood over carpet or just hardwood floor). While it's better, it's not the best it can be. It's not necessarily the carpet that the issue here. I'm using a short sculpted carpet that the MA can burrow to the bottom backing. It's the pad that causes deflection even with thick plywood over carpet.

So here's what I did and there's a twofold benefit to this. It will give you the best Crowson performance possible but equally important is the aesthetics especially for those of you that use couches with legs. I bought a sheet of 7/16" OSB, cut it to a 3'x8' piece. I pulled up my carpet, lined up the sheet, cutout the pad and placed the sheet in the cutout. With the carpet back down you can't tell where the two meet. It looks great. Carpet wear isn't compromised because the pad covers the walkways. I was surprised by the difference stepping on pad vs wood backed surface. Performance now pretty much matches what I had with the seat on concrete. It's a very simple process but yields a sizable gain.

[/

This technique can also work to conceal wiring. A channel can be cut in the padding to accommodate the speaker wire and RCA cable(s) and cover it over with the carpet. Again, this was a fantastic idea! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #695 of 2375 Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
This technique can also work to conceal wiring. A channel can be cut in the padding to accommodate the speaker wire and RCA cable(s) and cover it over with the carpet. Again, this was a fantastic idea! Well done!

Thanks man. Good idea on the speaker wire.
post #696 of 2375 Old 07-13-2016, 09:00 PM

Awesome stuff guys. I'm at work atm and just got word that my whole Crowson setup has just arrived!! Looking forward to playing with it this weekend. Coolrda.... I am going to need ur help setting them up as there will Def be a few questions I need to ask u when setting it up with my minidsp 2x4

post #697 of 2375 Old 07-14-2016, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome stuff guys. I'm at work atm and just got word that my whole Crowson setup has just arrived!! Looking forward to playing with it this weekend. Coolrda.... I am going to need ur help setting them up as there will Def be a few questions I need to ask u when setting it up with my minidsp 2x4

You got it. Gonna be a good weekend.
post #698 of 2375 Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I have not had a chance to measure, but I can tell by turning XT32 off in the main menu there is definitely a big audible difference between off and on. That leads me to believe that XT32 is not reset or turned off after I do this. In the menu it still says "On". Also I have a HUGE peak around 40hz in my room, and I do not feel this coming through on the Crowsons. That again leads me to believe that sub 2 is still un eq'd, because if it was eq'd, 40hz would feel very weak since it would have been corrected by XT32. The entire frequency range is strong on these!

So after I run XT32 with only sub 1 connected, I then plug in my Crowsons into sub 2 and switch the setting in the main menu to 2 subs.. It seems to work for me with my Onkyo 3009.
post #699 of 2375 Old 07-16-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
I have not had a chance to measure, but I can tell by turning XT32 off in the main menu there is definitely a big audible difference between off and on. That leads me to believe that XT32 is not reset or turned off after I do this. In the menu it still says "On". Also I have a HUGE peak around 40hz in my room, and I do not feel this coming through on the Crowsons. That again leads me to believe that sub 2 is still un eq'd, because if it was eq'd, 40hz would feel very weak since it would have been corrected by XT32. The entire frequency range is strong on these!

So after I run XT32 with only sub 1 connected, I then plug in my Crowsons into sub 2 and switch the setting in the main menu to 2 subs.. It seems to work for me with my Onkyo 3009.
I've done the same on my Integra 80.3 and yes you are right audyssey still is engaged! When turning on sub 2.... Will run some rew sweeps in the coming days to confirm it's sending an un eq'd signal to my crowsons.

post #700 of 2375 Old 07-16-2016, 09:09 AM

In other news...... I installed one actuator under one of my main front row seats....... To say im thoroughly impressed would be a severe understatement lol...... These things ****ing rock!! I always thought having 4 Submersives with solid output down to 10hz was sufficient.... Boy was I wrong!!!.... Infrasonic material for me has now changed forever.... I can't beleive I never upgraded to these sooner!!... TIH hulk punch scene was just jaw shakingly awesome!! War of the world's..... It literally felt like the ground beneath me was breaking. This is literally a must have in any theater..... It's 3am....here and I stayed up too damn late as I have to wake up at 5am when my son wakes up as I'm on baby duties lol... And the wife gets to sleep in........... I'm gonna be wrecked, but it was damn worth it and I can't wait til tommorow night for another session Hahaha. Thanks for everything guys!

post #701 of 2375 Old 07-17-2016, 12:25 AM

Seriously guys..... I'm just in awe over what I'm experiencing... It's almost as if it's made my subs extend lower into the frequency range while still sounding completely natural.... Even at low volumes it just excels.... At least now I won't need to watch movies at - 5 or reference to get that slam and impact lol.....and while preserving my hearing lol

Although it is damn fun and violent watching stuff at reference with the crowsons in the mix..... I feel beaten up lol

post #702 of 2375 Old 07-17-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
Quote:
Seriously guys..... I'm just in awe over what I'm experiencing... It's almost as if it's made my subs extend lower into the frequency range while still sounding completely natural.... Even at low volumes it just excels.... At least now I won't need to watch movies at - 5 or reference to get that slam and impact lol.....and while preserving my hearing lol

Although it is damn fun and violent watching stuff at reference with the crowsons in the mix..... I feel beaten up lol

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I started watching most movies at lower volumes after getting my Crowsons. I was getting the visceral slam without the ear bleeding volume.

--Posted via Tapatalk, which actually is pretty cool.
buddhamus likes this.
post #703 of 2375 Old 07-17-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very glad to hear these positive reactions! Can't wait to add these to my system.

post #704 of 2375 Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Very glad to hear these positive reactions! Can't wait to add these to my system.

Mate, I've seen previous posts from you from years ago in this thread....... I'm telling you now. Literally one of the best bass upgrades I have ever done... I was considering adding more subs...... **** that I've got even more tactile feeling then I could of ever dreamed of..... I never thought it would be this good!. You will not be disappointed!!... I promise you! 😆

Scott Simonian and coolrda like this.

Last edited by buddhamus; 07-17-2016 at 07:58 AM.
post #705 of 2375 Old 07-17-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Thanks for sharing your impressions! I started watching most movies at lower volumes after getting my Crowsons. I was getting the visceral slam without the ear bleeding volume.

--Posted via Tapatalk, which actually is pretty cool.
So true... It's like all the bass info is there without the volume lol. Your posts, Craig's posts, mike's posts, coolrda posts and a guy who I personally know who posted here called crazy 4 daisy made me make my decision on these. Thank you again.... I never expected to be this happy when this addition to my theater

post #706 of 2375 Old 07-17-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mate, I've seen previous posts from you from years ago in this thread....... I'm telling you now. Literally one of the best bass upgrades I have ever done... I was considering adding more subs...... **** that I've got even more tactile feeling then I could of ever dreamed of..... I never thought it would be this good!. You will not be disappointed!!... I promise you!

It's so rare to hear such uniformity of opinion about ANYTHING in home theater, that you guys really have me salivating over this. This is an objective, a dream realized to connect with films/music in this way- great stuff!

coolrda and buddhamus like this.
post #707 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5614
Quote:
In other news...... I installed one actuator under one of my main front row seats....... To say im thoroughly impressed would be a severe understatement lol...... These things ****ing rock!! I always thought having 4 Submersives with solid output down to 10hz was sufficient.... Boy was I wrong!!!.... Infrasonic material for me has now changed forever.... I can't beleive I never upgraded to these sooner!!... TIH hulk punch scene was just jaw shakingly awesome!! War of the world's..... It literally felt like the ground beneath me was breaking. This is literally a must have in any theater..... It's 3am....here and I stayed up too damn late as I have to wake up at 5am when my son wakes up as I'm on baby duties lol... And the wife gets to sleep in........... I'm gonna be wrecked, but it was damn worth it and I can't wait til tommorow night for another session Hahaha. Thanks for everything guys!

Did you buy the single MA and amp direct from Crowson, or......?
post #708 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 PM

I'm Australia... So got it through the distributor here.... Seriously best upgrade I've done in a long time. I got 4 Ma's and the D501 amp

Last edited by buddhamus; 07-18-2016 at 09:02 PM.
post #709 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know there's been several individuals here that have wondered if the Crowson's would be usable in an apt/condo environment due to the shared walls. There may be an option for you, via Sorbothane to the rescue. There could also be the obvious benefit to further decoupling the non active support points. Randy sent me a couple of his NEW Sorbothane(motion isolators)Feet to evaluate. Here's a sneak peek.

I'll compare these to the existing ones that come in the kit, and the Parts Express feet I use.

Last edited by coolrda; 07-18-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #710 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 PM

Brilliant idea to take a brilliant product even further

post #711 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 683 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3535 Post(s)
Liked: 3276
Reading this thread motivated me to remove the carpet pad under my Crowson. I removed the carpet too, so the Crowson is sitting on nothing but concrete. I just cut a section big enough to fit it (not worried about cutting carpet under my chair, if I ever have to move my chair that means something really bad must have happened and I won't be worried about a hole in the carpet at that point). The difference it noticeable, worth doing for sure. Not a night and day thing, but enough to matter and I'm glad I did it.

One issue I have (I would have this with any transducer) is I get quite a bit more feeling in the arms of the chairs than I do in the actual seat or seat back. I think it's just the design of the chair, but I assume most of us have similar HT chairs.

Has anyone else noticed this? More feel in the arms than the rest of the chair?
post #712 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Reading this thread motivated me to remove the carpet pad under my Crowson. I removed the carpet too, so the Crowson is sitting on nothing but concrete. I just cut a section big enough to fit it (not worried about cutting carpet under my chair, if I ever have to move my chair that means something really bad must have happened and I won't be worried about a hole in the carpet at that point). The difference it noticeable, worth doing for sure. Not a night and day thing, but enough to matter and I'm glad I did it.

One issue I have (I would have this with any transducer) is I get quite a bit more feeling in the arms of the chairs than I do in the actual seat or seat back. I think it's just the design of the chair, but I assume most of us have similar HT chairs.

I have mine mounted at the back right Corner of my chair and I notice it more it my butt/lower back and neck.... Only a bit in my arms.... I'm on a metal frame tho... Not wood. My rear sofa has a wooden frwme and I have a bit less tactile feel then the front two seats.

post #713 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Who here uses the D501 amp and what intensity setting do you guys use? I know a lot of factors come into play... As some are on carpet /ply/concrete.... Mine is just on plain carpet atm.... I'm on 24.....the max dial is on 32.

post #714 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Who here uses the D501 amp and what intensity setting do you guys use? I know a lot of factors come into play... As some are on carpet /ply/concrete.... Mine is just on plain carpet atm.... I'm on 24.....the max dial is on 32.

Also my sub trim 2 is used just for the transducers are at +2 atm... Could go more... But I don't want to clip the signal by going into the + range too much..... I guess I could experiment lol

post #715 of 2375 Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

I have the 501 and 2 actuators on a single recliner(carpet>ply>actuatots>ply>chair)

The sub out from my oppo feeds the 501, i have it set on 8.
buddhamus likes this.
post #716 of 2375 Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakka View Post
I have the 501 and 2 actuators on a single recliner(carpet>ply>actuatots>ply>chair)

The sub out from my oppo feeds the 501, i have it set on 8.
Thanks hakka!

post #717 of 2375 Old 07-19-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Mine is all butt and torso which is interesting because the armrests are what's in direct contact. You may want to investigate further. If your not feeling it primarily in your torso, your not getting the whole experience. My TR gets to the point of being physically uncomfortable. While it's true chairs vary according to cost, I wouldn't think it would be that big of a difference. Maybe if comparing couch's but not HT recliners. I did some testing of the MA vs seat last night for a comparison. I'll post it later.

Last edited by coolrda; 07-19-2016 at 03:38 PM.
post #718 of 2375 Old 07-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I ordered the Crowson Level 2 Motion System today. I plan to use the analog sub out from my oppo 103D to feed the D-501 amp. I’ve read through the thread, but I want to make sure that I'm on the right track with the analog setup in the oppo.

My setup is 5.1 so I would set:

The down mix to 5.1
Speaker size to small
Distance (my receiver set the sub to 12.5’; would that be a good starting point in the oppo?)
Volume control? What’s a good point to set it and forget about it?

Thanks.

LG OLED55B6P (Calibrated by AVICAL)
Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System ** AIRCOM T8 Receiver Cooling Blower
post #719 of 2375 Old 07-19-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I ordered the Crowson Level 2 Motion System today. I plan to use the analog sub out from my oppo 103D to feed the D-501 amp. I’ve read through the thread, but I want to make sure that I'm on the right track with the analog setup in the oppo.

My setup is 5.1 so I would set:

The down mix to 5.1
Speaker size to small
Distance (my receiver set the sub to 12.5’; would that be a good starting point in the oppo?)
Volume control? What’s a good point to set it and forget about it?

Thanks.
To get the oppo to delay the sub signal you need to set one of the other channels to 12.5ft, and the sub to zero.
post #720 of 2375 Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 PM

I'm seeing some strange behavior with my D501 and Harmony Elite remote. The D501 responds to a lot of signals for other devices eg Marantz 7702mk2 and Oppo 103 when sent from the Elite (all commands reduce the volume on the D501), however it does not respond to the same commands sent from the individual remote units.

When I had a Denon AVR it would respond to the Menu command using all 4 remote ID settings (4 different IR code sets) sent from the denon remote.

I think I'll have to cover the IR sensor on the D501 and start using the Oppo to tweak the volume.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page