The "Official" Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators Thread. - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1461Likes

post #871 of 2451 Old 01-29-2017, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 4972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
I bought this fan per several iNuke mod forum recommendations: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H3...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have mostly noctua fans in my desktop PC, so I am a fan of them. 😃
The 120mm version of that fan is 74 CFM @ 22 dBA vs 32 CFM for the 80mm. I'm just sayin.

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-80mm-92m...dp/B002C7IQ1O/

I bought the INuke 3000DSP for under $200 like new from Amazon Warehouse.

I can't say I have experienced any pop. I am controlling power to it with a Panamax 5500 triggered by my preamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2451 Old 01-29-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 713
The popping shouldn't be much of an issue since you don't have subs connected, with the Crowsons only connected I just hear a slight pop.

There are no holes on the Inuke other than out the back and the front. I think if you buy a brand new one you have a better chance of getting one that will run fine with the fan mode. There are a lot of guys on here who have done it and it has worked. I think more than that hasn't worked, so in my opinion, the odds are with you

Quote:
I bought this fan per several iNuke mod forum recommendations: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H3...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have mostly noctua fans in my desktop PC, so I am a fan of them. 😃

The loud popping doesn't sound good, because I had planned on using a power strip for it, and it'll be right next to me.

Are there extra holes in the iNuke amp frame along the top for ventilation? If so, I may just set up a custom USB fan controller with 2-4 fans like I run on my receiver. Though spending another $50-75 on cooling defeats some of the purpose of going with behringer.

I bet the NU6000 would run quite a bit cooler, as it has 2-3 times the RMS power on tap per channel than a single crowson can even handle. And as you said, some people's mod success seems to be luck of the draw with more relaxed tolerances on parts and quality control.

I think that some of the iNuke features are outstanding for the price, but the chance of it failing to work as needed in a home environment after heavily modifying it, is what put me off buying one last fall...decisions decisions.

Thanks again for your input!
post #873 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Yes, having the gain set to max means either you need to increase your input signal or may need a more powerful amp or more transducers to lighten the load. Here's a simple explanation on the subject in regard to speaker amps.

"Improper level settings can also cause problems with breaking amplifier channels. If an amplifier's Gain or Bass controls are turned up too high, it can cause "excessive clipping". Excessive clipping occurs when the gain or bass controls on the amplifier are set to a higher sensitivity than they should be, based on the signal level coming from the source unit (or another processor before the amplifier). Excessive clipping may make an amplifier shut down early from thermal or overload protection, or can cause speakers to sound distorted. Excessive clipping does not burn up speakers, excessive power does as we'll explain below.

For example, if you have a 4-Volt source unit and the gain control at the amplifier is set all the way up (it's most sensitive position - it thinks you're sending 500 millivolts (0.5 Volt) into the amp,) the amplifier will make full power almost immediately! As you turn the volume up higher, the amplifier makes maximum power right away and simply "holds" it there for a longer period of time. This extra time that the amp makes max power sounds like "distortion", and sounds pretty bad, but it isn't distortion - it's the amplifier sending that extra energy (Power/Watts) directly to the speaker. Excessive power applied to speakers can burn the voice coils!

This problem can also be created by equalizers that have the bass levels adjusted way too high, as the specific frequency that gets boosted is being reproduced by the amplifier as best it can, but the amp cannot produce any more power than it already is making at that frequency, so it just "holds" the output level at maximum. The amplifier may shut down or blow its fuse to protect itself. If this scenario happens too many times, the amplifier will usually fail and require repair."

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
The I Nuke amp are class D. These amps don't heat up like class A/B or class A. The only need to cool them is if they are in a poor space for ventilation. I've got 6 in the rack. Two with a fan mod and then I stopped. It made no real difference in amp function. Unless you are doing a fan mood for noise suppression because they are near the MLP, their is not need IMHO to go thru the trouble buying a different fan. You never know if you may need the warranty.
post #875 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The 120mm version of that fan is 74 CFM @ 22 dBA vs 32 CFM for the 80mm. I'm just sayin.

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-80mm-92m...dp/B002C7IQ1O/

I bought the INuke 3000DSP for under $200 like new from Amazon Warehouse.

I can't say I have experienced any pop. I am controlling power to it with a Panamax 5500 triggered by my preamp.
Thanks, this is why I was hesitant because 32 cfm isn't much for a single 80mm fan. I didn't think a 120mm fan would fit the chassis, guess so. Maybe the newer models run even cooler so the fan mods are working even better. Silence is very important for where it'll be placed, which has me worried and looking at more passively cooled options.

I talked with Brian from Speaker Power, and he said the $399 SP1-700HT (700w/4ohm) should drive a pair of the 8ohm Crowson wired into a 4ohm load without a problem. So that's an option I'm strongly considering building into a custom box.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #876 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would you be able to DSP/EQ the Crowsons separately still? For me, without using the DSP/EQ in the Inuke I was underwhelmed. But I like them hot and using them for music also. You might be ok just using them for movies without as much control. I know a lot of guys use them without separate DSP it is just really nice to have.

Quote:
Thanks, this is why I was hesitant because 32 cfm isn't much for a single 80mm fan. I didn't think a 120mm fan would fit the chassis, guess so. Maybe the newer models run even cooler so the fan mods are working even better. Silence is very important for where it'll be placed, which has me worried and looking at more passively cooled options.

I talked with Brian from Speaker Power, and he said the $399 SP1-700HT (700w/4ohm) should drive a pair of the 8ohm Crowson wired into a 4ohm load without a problem. So that's an option I'm strongly considering building into a custom box.
post #877 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
Would you be able to DSP/EQ the Crowsons separately still? For me, without using the DSP/EQ in the Inuke I was underwhelmed. But I like them hot and using them for music also. You might be ok just using them for movies without as much control. I know a lot of guys use them without separate DSP it is just really nice to have.
Yes, I have a miniDSP to work with and will likely run the Crowsons at least +3dB hot (amp headroom provided). I bet the DEQ feature is great for lower/normal volume listening in the iNuke with DSP, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be able to run any of these pro amps with fans nearfield, modded or not, without it bugging me.

We'll see shortly! I'm trying my best to wait until after I get married next month and burn (I mean invest) large sums of money for the honeymoon to see just how much I want to spend on transducers. I'd rather start with two transducers in case my love seat's transmission of vibrations or other issues cause just one TT to be lackluster.

I originally asked Brian about the $699 Speaker Power 1400 watt (700w x2) plate amp, but if I could get by with the 700 watt unit for $300 less I'll be thrilled. I should just buy an amp now, so that way I'm committed down this path. 😃

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
post #878 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is your ear going to be right by the amp, like within a foot? With the Noctua fan and the 8 volts(I think it is?)adapter it is literally silent until I am about a 1' from the DSP3000 amp.

The fans on my dsp3000 I put down to 8v the 6000 I left them at full rpm and I have to be about 5 ft back to not hear them. I never bothered putting the speed reducers on the 6000 because I sit back 7-8ft and cant hear them.

Quote:
Yes, I have a miniDSP to work with and will likely run the Crowsons at least +3dB hot (amp headroom provided). I bet the DEQ feature is great for lower/normal volume listening in the iNuke with DSP, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be able to run any of these pro amps with fans nearfield, modded or not, without it bugging me.

We'll see shortly! I'm trying my best to wait until after I get married next month and burn (I mean invest) large sums of money for the honeymoon to see just how much I want to spend on transducers. I'd rather start with two transducers in case my love seat's transmission of vibrations or other issues cause just one TT to be lackluster.

I originally asked Brian about the $699 Speaker Power 1400 watt (700w x2) plate amp, but if I could get by with the 700 watt unit for $300 less I'll be thrilled. I should just buy an amp now, so that way I'm committed down this path. 😃

Last edited by bscool; 01-31-2017 at 03:11 PM.
post #879 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM

@Sekosche IMHO & IME the INuke DSP with 120mm fan(s) is the most cost effective solution by far. Many are happy with their 80mm fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
I first tried with a quiet 80mm fan I had used successfully in Crowns but fan noise still bothered me after intense scenes in MM: Fury Road!

I use 120mm Antec Tri-Quiet fans which have an inline speed controller. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy! 🤓

BTW, I don't have Crowsons… I wish (I'm budget limited). I have 4 Earthquake minis wired in 2 parallel loads to each channel of an INuke 3000DSP.
post #880 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:

We'll see shortly! I'm trying my best to wait until after I get married next month and burn (I mean invest) large sums of money for the honeymoon to see just how much I want to spend on transducers.
Do as much as you can now, before you say I do! Trust me. 😎

How do you run TTs or MAs "hot"? Vibsensor? I use the good 'ol buttmeter after determining the limits and FR of my TTs.
post #881 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 3451
Quote:
Is your ear going to be right by the amp, like within a foot? With the Noctua fan and the 8 volts(I think it is?)adapter it is literally silent until I am about a 1' from the DSP3000 amp.

The fans on my dsp3000 I put down to 8v the 6000 I left them at full rpm and I have to be about 5 ft back to not hear them. I never bothered putting the speed reducers on the 6000 because I sit back 7-8ft and cant hear them.
Why a voltage adapter?

I connected my Noctua NF R8's straight up, 3 pin and all.

The 6000 fan output starts at 6 volts and then ramps up. At 7.5 volts the Noctuas start. Mine never run hot, even at LFE heavy tracks, and i run 4 Crowsons on it. And it is silent!

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #882 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There must be a little variation in the Inukes or the two I got anyways. I bought both brand new at the same time a 3000 and a 6000 and put the Noctuas in both and the 3000 was a little bit louder to where I could hear it from my listening position.

So are you saying when you first turn your Inuke on the fans don't even turn? If it starts out at 6v and the fans don't turn on until 7.5v. Is there a setting or something becaus mine were blowing as soon as I turn the Inuke on.

Also they make 3 different NF-A8 fans, I got the NF-A8 FLX so i could change if I needed. It has the highest RPM and I figured I can always go down but if it ran too warm I couldn't increase if I got slower speed fan and it wasn't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Why a voltage adapter?

I connected my Noctua NF R8's straight up, 3 pin and all.

The 6000 fan output starts at 6 volts and then ramps up. At 7.5 volts the Noctuas start. Mine never run hot, even at LFE heavy tracks, and i run 4 Crowsons on it. And it is silent!

Last edited by bscool; 01-31-2017 at 06:51 PM.
post #883 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 3451
Quote:
There must be a little variation in the Inukes or the two I got anyways. I bought both brand new at the same time a 3000 and a 6000 and put the Noctuas in both and the 3000 was a little bit louder to where I could hear it from my listening position.

So are you saying when you first turn your Inuke on the fans don't even turn? If it starts out at 6v and the fans don't turn on until 7.5v. Is there a setting or something becaus mine were blowing as soon as I turn the Inuke on.
Maybe rather differences in the fans. We tried several different fans, and these Noctuas were the only one that did not start when powered up, they start after a couple minutes. And the Noctuas were the only ones dead silent, so i use them

No setting as i can see.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #884 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I posted this in the OPPO 203 owners thread and I am sure there are 203 owners who also own Crowsons, so I am going to post here as well. Hopefully someone will have the answer to my question.

Need help with OPPO settings.

So, I went ahead and picked up a 203 even though I already own the Panasonic 900 which, from a PQ perspective, I was totally satisfied. I decided to buy the 203 for some of the features the Pana does not have, and probably never will; the DV upgrade, built-in strip meta-data and simultaneously active analog and HDMI outs. As I run Crowson Transducers in my system, the active analog outs are very critical for a number of reasons:

1) Independent volume control of the Crowsons
2) Preserving an unprocessed signal (without filters and cuts that are imposed by whatever room correction software in the AVR).
3) The ability to set an appropriate amount of delay in the Player so that the Crowsons are seamlessly blended with the Subs.

Ideally, one would want to slightly delay the signal to the transducers using the controls in the player, (via the analog sub-woofer output in the Blu ray player), so that the speakers fire a split second before the Subs and the Crowsons. In order to produce this delay, I typically set the speakers to around 20 ft and the sub-woofer to 0 ft (in the player). If the delay is off by even a small amount, it could make the Transducers feel unnatural and gimmicky. But when they are properly aligned with rest of the system they produce a profoundly impactful experience.

And this brings me to my point: It seems that the audio processing section in the 203 only applies when using a full 7.1 analog out connection. Since I am only using the analog sub-woofer out and not the full 7.1 outs, I am unable to apply the necessary delays (setting speakers to 20 ft) to blend the Crowsons.

Can anyone tell me how I can apply the necessary delays in the player while using the HDMI outs plus the analog sub-woofer out?

I should add that I also have two older blu ray players with analog outs, which allow for setting speaker distance/delays while using the HDMI out plus the sub-woofer analog output, so I imagine it should also be possible in the 203.

Sorry for the long-winded rant.

Thanks,
post #885 of 2451 Old 01-31-2017, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@Sekosche IMHO & IME the INuke DSP with 120mm fan(s) is the most cost effective solution by far. Many are happy with their 80mm fans.

I first tried with a quiet 80mm fan I had used successfully in Crowns but fan noise still bothered me after intense scenes in MM: Fury Road!

I use 120mm Antec Tri-Quiet fans which have an inline speed controller. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy! 🤓

BTW, I don't have Crowsons… I wish (I'm budget limited). I have 4 Earthquake minis wired in 2 parallel loads to each channel of an INuke 3000DSP.
Seeing this pic makes sense with the larger fans; I do this with 4 fans on my AVR and they're on a thermostat USB controller ($40). I thought you were cramming a 120mm fan inside the chassis. Did you remove the original fans or just slap these on the outside and disconnect the internal fans?

This would be a much better setup for around $399, and I could add more than 2 transducers in the future (should I "need" them) for the same price as the plate amp. The unit will be 3-5' away, but with a mod like this maybe the fan noise will be negligible during movies.

The value and versatility is undeniable from an Inuke. I would probably get the 6000DSP...y'all are killing my indecisiveness. Thanks for all the input!

post #886 of 2451 Old 02-01-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Seeing this pic makes sense with the larger fans; I do this with 4 fans on my AVR and they're on a thermostat USB controller ($40). I thought you were cramming a 120mm fan inside the chassis. Did you remove the original fans or just slap these on the outside and disconnect the internal fans?
I removed the original and its little wind tunnel.
post #887 of 2451 Old 02-01-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are there any Crowson owners who also own the OPPO 203? If you do, and you use the analog subwoofer out on the player, how are you setting the delay (in the player)?
post #888 of 2451 Old 02-01-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
Are there any Crowson owners who also own the OPPO 203? If you do, and you use the analog subwoofer out on the player, how are you setting the delay (in the player)?
Sorry you're having trouble. I don't have a 203, but I know the last generation allowed the analog and digital outputs to be active simultaneously. This would be crummy if they changed this feature on the new models. Maybe try emailing Oppo support or dig up the threads that discuss people utilizing this feature on the 103. Wish I could help more

post #889 of 2451 Old 02-01-2017, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked: 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
The I Nuke amp are class D. These amps don't heat up like class A/B or class A. The only need to cool them is if they are in a poor space for ventilation. I've got 6 in the rack. Two with a fan mod and then I stopped. It made no real difference in amp function. Unless you are doing a fan mood for noise suppression because they are near the MLP, their is not need IMHO to go thru the trouble buying a different fan. You never know if you may need the warranty.
You're over generalizing. The inukes are terribly inefficient for class D. Like, not even 70%
post #890 of 2451 Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry you're having trouble. I don't have a 203, but I know the last generation allowed the analog and digital outputs to be active simultaneously. This would be crummy if they changed this feature on the new models. Maybe try emailing Oppo support or dig up the threads that discuss people utilizing this feature on the 103. Wish I could help more
Thanks, Sekoche, much appreciated. I can confirm that both the analog and HDMI outs are simultaneously active. I just can't seem to find where to make the adjustments in the player. I will peruse this thread for any information on the subject.
post #891 of 2451 Old 02-01-2017, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In an effort to start the tactile transducer ball rolling, I pulled the trigger on an Inuke 6000DSP for $350 from Musician's Friend (12.5% off for a mint condition return).

When I was considering adding some TT last fall, I scoured all the holiday specials and online sales for discounts on behringer amps and came up empty. It seems the only way to get a discount on their rock bottom pricing is to buy open box or gently used items. I also bought a couple more 120mm USB fans with speed control. I hope Crowson still offers the 10% off AVS discount, might call tomorrow.

post #892 of 2451 Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
In Setup on your 203 go into Speaker Configuration under Audio Processing. Set the speakers to small and the delay for each of the speakers to whatever your receiver set your sub to. Mine is at 12.5ft. Set the sub out on the 203 to a delay of zero. I have a 5.1 setup so I set the downmix to 5.1 (it defaults to 7.1).

I have the level on my Crowson amp set to 16. That seems to feel natural with the bass, but that might be high or low for your situation. Also, some including myself have had problems with Harmony remotes changing the level on the Crowson amp. I found that the oppo remote as well as my Denon remote causing the level to shoot up and down so watch for that as well.

Hope this helps.

LG OLED55B6P (Calibrated by AVICAL)
Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System ** AIRCOM T8 Receiver Cooling Blower
post #893 of 2451 Old 02-02-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
In Setup on your 203 go into Speaker Configuration under Audio Processing. Set the speakers to small and the delay for each of the speakers to whatever your receiver set your sub to. Mine is at 12.5ft. Set the sub out on the 203 to a delay of zero. I have a 5.1 setup so I set the downmix to 5.1 (it defaults to 7.1).

I have the level on my Crowson amp set to 16. That seems to feel natural with the bass, but that might be high or low for your situation. Also, some including myself have had problems with Harmony remotes changing the level on the Crowson amp. I found that the oppo remote as well as my Denon remote causing the level to shoot up and down so watch for that as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Tom C, I did the manipulations in the audio processing section of the 203 as you suggested. However, in reading the manual, apparently the audio processing only applies to the analog 7.1 outputs and not the HDMI outs. I may be reading this wrong though, so I will check again. BTW, is there anything I can do about the 203 remote causing the crowson amp to either go all the way to maximum or all the way to zero every time I use it? That is sooooo vexing.
post #894 of 2451 Old 02-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, Tom C, I did the manipulations in the audio processing section of the 203 as you suggested. However, in reading the manual, apparently the audio processing only applies to the analog 7.1 outputs and not the HDMI outs. I may be reading this wrong though, so I will check again. BTW, is there anything I can do about the 203 remote causing the crowson amp to either go all the way to maximum or all the way to zero every time I use it? That is sooooo vexing.
I took a black business card and blacked out the lettering, images, etc., with a marker and placed it in front of the IR sensor. I then got a repeater and plugged it into to the IR control input on the back. The repeater receiver I placed on the right side of the Crowson D-501 amp, between it and the side of the audio cabinet. My audio cabinet is on the left so the receiver is blocked from the remote. To make adjustments on the D-501 I move to the left side of the couch and reach out to the left with the remote so it’ll get to the receiver. I don’t use the oppo 203 for music, just movies. My 103D is for music, so I don’t need to adjust the D-105 for anything.
atabea likes this.

post #895 of 2451 Old 02-02-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was all set to order a pair of TT and called Crowson tech around 3pm Pacific this afternoon but wasn't able to reach anyone. I would order them online, but I wanted to see if they're still offering the 10% off for AVS users, think that's what it was per the older pages in this thread. I'll try again tomorrow. If they're in stock and can ship tomorrow that'd be awesome! I have 4 days off next Thursday-Sunday and the house to myself, so I'm hoping they can travel from California to me in time to tinker.

post #896 of 2451 Old 02-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was all set to order a pair of TT and called Crowson tech around 3pm Pacific this afternoon but wasn't able to reach anyone. I would order them online, but I wanted to see if they're still offering the 10% off for AVS users, think that's what it was per the older pages in this thread. I'll try again tomorrow. If they're in stock and can ship tomorrow that'd be awesome! I have 4 days off next Thursday-Sunday and the house to myself, so I'm hoping they can travel from California to me in time to tinker.
I got mine in July and two more motion actuators in September and got 10% both times. Both times I think it took about a week to ship. They were backed up with orders. They're open till 5, but sometimes can't get to the phone. Hopefully you left a message.

post #897 of 2451 Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I got mine in July and two more motion actuators in September and got 10% both times. Both times I think it took about a week to ship. They were backed up with orders. They're open till 5, but sometimes can't get to the phone. Hopefully you left a message.
Good to know!
It's usually a little slower this time of year for retail sales, until tax refunds anyway, so I'll hope for the best. I didn't leave a message, but I will tomorrow if I don't get through. The 10% discount is pretty sweet.

I'm still deciding how many isolator feet I need for my love seat that currently has 12 hard rubber feet (hoping I can use half that) and whether to place both transducers in the rear arm rests of the MLP or place one in each back corner. I calibrate everything to sound/feel the best at the MLP. It's a similar loveseat to the attached pic.

post #898 of 2451 Old 02-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
I didn't leave a message, but I will tomorrow if I don't get through. The 10% discount is pretty sweet.
They still offer the 10% member to AVS members if you ask. I ordered yesterday. Be sure to leave a message. I've called a few times along the way and they typically have called back within one to two hours.

Quote:
I'm still deciding how many isolator feet I need for my love seat that currently has 12 hard rubber feet (hoping I can use half that) and whether to place both transducers in the rear arm rests of the MLP or place one in each back corner. I calibrate everything to sound/feel the best at the MLP. It's a similar loveseat to the attached pic.
You need to have the isolators on each leg. The new isolators that Crowson offers are supposed to be very nice but they are very expensive. I'd ask them about buying some of their old style ones which are much less expensive. If not, order several packages of these: http://www.parts-express.com/buttkic...of-5--300-9462 also shown at http://www.thebuttkicker.com/ri-4

If I recall correctly, these are about 1" high and are fully compatible. I use them with my Buttkickers on my theater chairs which also have a lot of individual legs.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #899 of 2451 Old 02-03-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My loveseat has a single frame spanning the bottom, so there's really no way to isolate the legs. There's 6 feet in the middle and one in each corner. I was thinking two isolators in the middle (front/back) and two in the front two corners, and then the two transducers in the rear corners to start out. Those white discs are felt sliders stuck on. I'll look into those butt kicker feet, but they're 15/16" and the Crowson are reportedly 1.1". Perhaps a small 1/8" shim under the BK feet will do the trick.

post #900 of 2451 Old 02-03-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just placed an order for two Shadow-8 motion actuators! I've been meaning to put a small riser under my couch, but for my solid metal frame love seat Mr. Crowson recommended bolting a sheet of plywood to the frame and then placing the actuators and feet underneath, so that's on my to do list possibly this weekend. I've got all the extra parts coming in to make this booty shake hopefully by the end of next week. He said they could have shipped today, but they'll likely go out Monday since it was late in the afternoon. Very friendly and great customer service! I'm hoping to have them by next Thurs. or Fri. to have a couple days of an empty house to tinker! Oh the wait...

I also ordered 10 of these rubber feet; I'm sure they're not the softest, but I bet they'll work just fine for $23 shipped. I'll add more furniture sliders to the feet when it's done. https://www.parts-express.com/penn-e...x-1-h--260-772

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page