PSA XV30f or SVS PC13 Ultra or Rythmik FV15HP? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 107
^^
Yes, only with one movie Pulse listening at reference with sub 6db hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I think you cant go wrong with PC-13 Ultra. You have to consider warranty, customer service and footprint. What SVS does with a 13.5 inch driver is really something. Not saying the other choices have bad customer service, or warranty, I like your other choices very much, but the Ultra is legendary. If SVS made a 15 inch driver we wouldn't be having this conversation. Of course it would cost 3500.00 probably. JMHO.

Boom Boom, out go the lights.
post #33 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 8741
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis-g View Post

I think you cant go wrong with PC-13 Ultra. You have to consider warranty, customer service and footprint. What SVS does with a 13.5 inch driver is really something. Not saying the other choices have bad customer service, or warranty, I like your other choices very much, but the Ultra is legendary. If SVS made a 15 inch driver we wouldn't be having this conversation. Of course it would cost 3500.00 probably. JMHO.

Lol its so legendary SVS priced it out of competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

have you experienced any port chuffing in 1 port extension mode?

I'd also like to know if any FV15HP owners experienced this, particularly if used in a large space.

post #35 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Lol its so legendary SVS priced it out of competition.
I agree, but people who buy Ferrari's don't seem to complain about price.

post #36 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:

I agree, but people who buy Ferrari's don't seem to complain about price.

I walk by Ferrari's in my Camaro and the look on there face is priceless smile.gif
PSUSkier likes this.
post #37 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I walk by Ferrari's in my Camaro and the look on there face is priceless smile.gif
No doubt. i can put a 1000 HP engine in about anything and beat a Ferrari. But at the end of the day I still don't have a Ferrari.

post #38 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:

have you experienced any port chuffing in 1 port extension mode?

Yes, a handful of movies at very high demo volumes (+7 above reference). Under normal conditions, no.

I will say though for those handful of movies that the tradeoff is worth it...that low hz tactile shake is super cool cool.gif

post #39 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I'd also like to know if any FV15HP owners experienced this, particularly if used in a large space.

Also keep in mind, that two port mode will eliminate any chuffing. Additionally, the FV15HP in 2 port mode will generally still outperform the XV30 from an output perspective, and will also extend deeper.

Both are great options, BTW.

post #40 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:

No doubt. i can put a 1000 HP engine in about anything and beat a Ferrari. But at the end of the day I still don't have a Ferrari.

Lol very true! However even if I could afford a Ferrari I would not buy one. I would take a ZR1 all day over it as I am more a bang for buck type.
post #41 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Yes, a handful of movies at very high demo volumes (+7 above reference). Under normal conditions, no.

I will say though for those handful of movies that the tradeoff is worth it...that low hz tactile shake is super cool 
cool.gif

Hmm I might have to pick up a FV15HP someday and see how it pairs with dual XV15's. 10hz is becoming more intriguing everytime I read your posts...damn you lol!!
post #42 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hmm I might have to pick up a FV15HP someday and see how it pairs with dual XV15's. 10hz is becoming more intriguing everytime I read your posts...damn you lol!!

LOL!

It's definitely cool, but should only be a focus IMO when you can play frequencies above that as loud as you want it and as clean as you want it.

The ability to have clean output at 18hz (or so) and above, at the levels that you want to demo your system will have leave a far better 'sound quality' impression than a system that can't achieve your demo volumes cleanly but extend lower.

That's what is so intriguing about the captivator, and why it is rated so high at GTG's. Clean, high levels of output. Doesn't extend the lowest, but makes one of the biggest impressions.

The smaller the room, the more options you have at achieving clean, high levels of output for less money.

post #43 of 74 Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Lol very true! However even if I could afford a Ferrari I would not buy one. I would take a ZR1 all day over it as I am more a bang for buck type.
True the ZR-1 is sweet. I live in Bowling green KY. I have toured the plant and seen the ZR-1 being built.

post #44 of 74 Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

Duals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Would you throw dual XV-15's into the mix? The price would be $1,518.10 shipped.

The more I think about it, the more I'm considering dual XV15s.

Decisions decisions.......

post #45 of 74 Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:

The more I think about it, the more I'm considering dual XV15s.

Decisions decisions.......

Good choice! You will have xv30 performance colocated within 3m apart with the benifits of a smoother response and better coverage across the seats.
post #46 of 74 Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 697
What did you end up going with? I ask mainly because I'm in the same boat as you were. I'm torn between the XV30f or the FV15HP. I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around a single 15 outperforming dual 15's. Can anyone help with this? Is it the driver? Cabinet? Dual ports vs a single port?

My budget doesn't allow for duals of either...although adding another later on is a definite possibility.

Some info on my room

Open basement
4567 cubic feet
HT is setup in the back half of the basement. The only separator in the whole room is the staircase. Sub is currently in the back right corner if you look at the room from the bottom of the stairs. The TV is on a stand on the back left side of the room.
It will be mainly me down there watching; I have a love-seat and a chair....so we're not talking about a huge sweet spot; or the immediate need for multiple subs.

Speaking of; my current sub is a SVS 20-39cs+ passive from 2002. I was using, a now dead, NHT SA3 to drive it. While it sounded good in my old house; it lacks the punch I'm looking for in my basement. I do love it, and I hope to get the amp fixed here in the next week or so. I could possibly use it for near field or just put it in my 2 channel once that's up and running.

Thoughts? I'm pretty open to help/suggestions.

Thanks!

Mike

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #47 of 74 Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 PM

post #48 of 74 Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post

What did you end up going with? I ask mainly because I'm in the same boat as you were. I'm torn between the XV30f or the FV15HP. I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around a single 15 outperforming dual 15's. Can anyone help with this? Is it the driver? Cabinet? Dual ports vs a single port?

My budget doesn't allow for duals of either...although adding another later on is a definite possibility.

Some info on my room

Open basement
4567 cubic feet
HT is setup in the back half of the basement. The only separator in the whole room is the staircase. Sub is currently in the back right corner if you look at the room from the bottom of the stairs. The TV is on a stand on the back left side of the room.
It will be mainly me down there watching; I have a love-seat and a chair....so we're not talking about a huge sweet spot; or the immediate need for multiple subs.

Speaking of; my current sub is a SVS 20-39cs+ passive from 2002. I was using, a now dead, NHT SA3 to drive it. While it sounded good in my old house; it lacks the punch I'm looking for, in my basement. I do love it, and I hope to get the amp fixed here in the next week or so. I could possibly use it for near field or just put it in my 2 channel once that's up and running.

Thoughts? I'm pretty open to help/suggestions.

Thanks!

Mike

Quote:

I believe Saturn ordered Triax.

Basshead is correct, I ordered a Triax to replace my SVS 16-46PC+ for a few reasons.

I sent Tom a pic of the REW response at my LP (I'm not concerned about achieving a smooth response at multiple LPs) and he said the response was very good and going with a single sub solution (my preference) would be perfectly reasonable. Also, I think the Triax will offer all the headroom I will ever need. Initially the Triax was way out of budget, but I since found out we will be getting a bonus at work this year. That bonus added to my budget made the Triax possible, so I decided to go for the gusto and order one.

I don't think you can go wrong with the XV30f or FV15HP (Tom said the same thing to me). Personally, I prefer the look of the FV15HP, if that kind of thing matters to you. My only concern with the FV15HP is if you want to use the single port mode in a large space like yours and mine. I'd expect you would run into port noise at higher volumes in the single port mode. Yes, the XV30f has a single port, but it's much larger, so noise shouldn't be an issue.

post #49 of 74 Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Basshead is correct, I ordered a Triax to replace my SVS 16-46PC+ for a few reasons.

I sent Tom a pic of the REW response at my LP (I'm not concerned about achieving a smooth response at multiple LPs) and he said the response was very good and going with a single sub solution (my preference) would be perfectly reasonable. Also, I think the Triax will offer all the headroom I will ever need. Initially the Triax was way out of budget, but I since found out we will be getting a bonus at work this year. That bonus added to my budget made the Triax possible, so I decided to go for the gusto and order one.

I don't think you can go wrong with the XV30f or FV15HP (Tom said the same thing to me). Personally, I prefer the look of the FV15HP, if that kind of thing matters to you. My only concern with the FV15HP is if you want to use the single port mode in a large space like yours and mine. I'd expect you would run into port noise at higher volumes in the single port mode. Yes, the XV30f has a single port, but it's much larger, so noise shouldn't be an issue.

I've been talking with Tom also; I don't currently have the ability to measure my in room response. Not to mention I don't even have a sub biggrin.gif

I sent him pictures of my listening space this morning, but my buying time is so far out there is no hurry. I am also seriously considering buying 2 XV15s. I am so impressed with Toms customer service that I can't see myself ordering the Rythmik; he replied to my initial email on SUNDAY! To me, that's above and beyond.

So it will either be 1 or 2 XV15s or a XV30f. I really love the idea of a massive sub sitting in the corner...since I don't have to worry about WAF. Not to mention she is great a supporting my addiction biggrin.gif

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
post #50 of 74 Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM

post #51 of 74 Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My only concern with the FV15HP is if you want to use the single port mode in a large space like yours and mine. I'd expect you would run into port noise at higher volumes in the single port mode. Yes, the XV30f has a single port, but it's much larger, so noise shouldn't be an issue.

If you run the FV15HP in 2 port mode, it will have very similar output (likely a little more down low and a little less up top) than the XV30. You'll also get the advantage of the servo design.

Quote:

I've been talking with Tom also; I don't currently have the ability to measure my in room response. Not to mention I don't even have a sub biggrin.gif

I sent him pictures of my listening space this morning, but my buying time is so far out there is no hurry. I am also seriously considering buying 2 XV15s. I am so impressed with Toms customer service that I can't see myself ordering the Rythmik; he replied to my initial email on SUNDAY! To me, that's above and beyond.

So it will either be 1 or 2 XV15s or a XV30f. I really love the idea of a massive sub sitting in the corner...since I don't have to worry about WAF. Not to mention she is great a supporting my addiction biggrin.gif

Tom has great CS from what I've read. You can't go wrong with either. Congrats on your decision!

Quote:

I would go dual XV15's over a single XV30.

+1. Dual XV15s all day over a single XV30 as long as you have the space. :)

post #52 of 74 Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've never heard of any complaints about Rythmik's customer service, but I have no personal experience with them. Back in Jan 2003 I did buy my SVS 16-46 PC+ from Tom V. (he's the "V" in SVS) and was extremely impressed with his customer service. I'm glad to report my experience with PSA is the same. smile.gif

BTW, I came real close to going with dual XV15s. wink.gif

post #53 of 74 Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've never heard of any complaints about Rythmik's customer service, but I have no personal experience with them. Back in Jan 2003 I did buy my SVS 16-46 PC+ from Tom V. (he's the "V" in SVS) and was extremely impressed with his customer service. I'm glad to report my experience with PSA is the same. smile.gif

BTW, I came real close to going with dual XV15s. wink.gif

I also haven't heard anything bad about Rythmik CS. But, the idea of getting two XV15s for a little more than the cost of one FV15HP is too good to pass up. I know the FV15HP is an amazing sub; but I've read and read about both subs, to me the XV is one of the best values available today.

I know you were considering dual XV15s - I'm sure you'll enjoy the Triax more wink.gif

Can't wait to hear some impressions of it once they ship.

post #54 of 74 Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:

I have the XV30f and I would say go with 2 XV15s if you can. Don't get me wrong... the big sub (it's massive!) in a corner is cool but room modes are a bear if you have them. I'm running my XV30f with double bass enabled on the receiver to tackle my room modes until I can pick up an XV15 or another XV30f.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #55 of 74 Old 10-08-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post

I have the XV30f and I would say go with 2 XV15s if you can. Don't get me wrong... the big sub (it's massive!) in a corner is cool but room modes are a bear if you have them. I'm running my XV30f with double bass enabled on the receiver to tackle my room modes until I can pick up an XV15 or another XV30f.

Thanks for the advice Gunmetal. So far that's the direction I'm leaning.

post #56 of 74 Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM

Liked: 15

So why should I buy the PC13-ULTRA? I want to, but I need to be convinced. I am torn between PSA XV30F, XV15(DUAL), FV15HP, PB13ULTRA, and PC13ULTRA. I would honestly rather have the PC simply because of it's size and where I can put it. I think it is a bit more attractive than the XV30F. For some reason I am having trouble with the cylinder design and wondering if I would be missing out on anything. Anything like the ones mentioned above will kill what I have now.

Thanks,

post #57 of 74 Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Wheat View Post

So why should I buy the PC13-ULTRA? I want to, but I need to be convinced. I am torn between PSA XV30F, XV15(DUAL), FV15HP, PB13ULTRA, and PC13ULTRA. I would honestly rather have the PC simply because of it's size and where I can put it. I think it is a bit more attractive than the XV30F. For some reason I am having trouble with the cylinder design and wondering if I would be missing out on anything. Anything like the ones mentioned above will kill what I have now.
Thanks,

You should post a new thread. You will get more help that way. Saturn ended up going in a different direction and bought a Power Sound Audio Triax.

ShaunH
post #58 of 74 Old 03-11-2014, 04:43 AM

I keep hearing how low the FV15HP will go. I am not one for fiddling around with the ports in any sub and would leave them all open always with the basic recommended settings. I am lazy and just want to hook it up and enjoy. With that being said, Will the FV15HP now outperform the XV30F or dual XV15's? If not, then the PSA American built sub looks even better.

Thanks,

post #59 of 74 Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 AM

I will never close any the ports. With that being said, How does the XV30F or dual XV15's compare now?

post #60 of 74 Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 3806

Dual XV15's will be better than a single XV30, FV15, or PC plus, as output will be = or higher, with better FR with duals.  If you think you may start with one of the better subs and add another down the road, then consider that route.  In other words, start with the end in mind.  The PSA's will be the easiest to "set it and forget it", as there are no ports to plug or adjustments to be made.  However, once you get the SVS or Rythmik set up how you want them, you don't have to fiddle with them, BUT, you always have the OPTION to change things in the future if you should ever desire.

Rythmik will definitely dig lower, but only in one port mode.  Same with the PC plus, you have to plug a port for the lowest extension.  If it were me, I would go to Data-Bass.com and you can compare each of these subs(except the XV30) with detailed graphs and reviews.  Figure out what your highest priorities are(max SPL, looks, warranty, distortion, size, configuration, etc etc) and make an informed choice.  You can also go to the ULF thread if sub 20Hz output is a concern.  If you have Microsoft Excel you can enter your room dimensions, choose a sub or subs and see what your 20Hz and below output will be.

Mini-Wheat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page