Acoustic Energy Aegis 12 or Polk PSW10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am looking to replace the non-powered sub that I am currently running with something powered, been browsing Craigslist for a while and came across these two:

Acoustic Energy Aegis 12 ($100)
Polk Audio PSW10 ($50)

This is to go in my living room, it's a pretty large room at about 25' x 16' with 9' ceilings, my main fear with the Polk is that it will simply not be adequate enough. It will mostly be used for movies/games and about 10% music. With the Acoustic Energy, while it is a more powerful sub I know it's a good few years old at this point. I should add I am not committed to buying either and am fine to keep looking. Just wondering if either one of those would be worthwhile, both appear to be original owners selling them with box/manual.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 813
FWIW, two of our subs are twenty years old. We're replaced the drivers and passive radiators but the amplifier and box are the same. Our newest subwoofer is about a year old. The point, new or used, nobody knows how long a subwoofer is going be good for and then it smokes....time to get a replacement.

With that in mind, always get the biggest and baddest that one can afford. Yes, quality matters but when deciding between a fifty dollar, ten inch sub and a hundred dollar twelve inch sub, go with the twelve inch subwoofer.

As to buying or not buying, that's a personal call. These are not performance subs. These are minimum style subwoofers. It's going take a boatload of more energy to fully fill a room your size. It's all about Benjamins and personal expectations. If you underspend to your expectations, you're going be seriously disappointed.

-
steve nn and abcdefghi like this.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking of passing on them and waiting for something a bit bigger. Looking at a BIC H100 or F12, Dayton 1200 or a Polk PSW505.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Bee.. If you underspend to your expectations, you're going be seriously disappointed Steve.. and turn around in a week or two and buy another. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #5 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

How would something like a Theater Solutions SUB15F work in a decently large room? It's top of my budget, but reviews seem favorable. At the moment I am thinking either that or the Dayton (or a pair of Dayton's if they come on sale).

Edit: Reviews are funny, I realize they are subjective and can be influenced by a lot of factors, just stumbled upon one of the SUB15F that compared Theater Solutions subs to "beating on a garbage can" ... biggrin.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghi View Post

How would something like a Theater Solutions SUB15F work in a decently large room? It's top of my budget, but reviews seem favorable. At the moment I am thinking either that or the Dayton (or a pair of Dayton's if they come on sale).

Edit: Reviews are funny, I realize they are subjective and can be influenced by a lot of factors, just stumbled upon one of the SUB15F that compared Theater Solutions subs to "beating on a garbage can" ... biggrin.gif

The Theater Solution reads like it would be a good value but reviews on Amazon trash the subwoofer. Despite recent comments about faux reviews, I'm a big believer in Amazon reviews.

With that in mind, one would be well served considering a BIC F-12. The reining champ in this price point is a NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" 500-watt Powered Subwoofer.

For perspective, in my opinion, the next reining Top Dog price point is the five hundred dollar price point.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

I read a lot of Amazon reviews as well, there are definitely ones that are fake/bias but those are usually easy enough to spot. I saw the NX-BAS-500 on another thread, but cannot seem to find any for sale on Amazon/eBay etc. The F12 is usually on my list when looking at subs around this price point. Thanks for taking the time to reply!
post #8 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghi View Post

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

...biggrin.gif

Good luck with your buying efforts.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
One of the aforementioned subs in a room this size is a drop in a bucket unfortunately. If you can wait and save up that would be your best bet in my opinion. The Premier Acoustic PA-150 has excellent output, better than many much more expensive subs, and would be a good start in a room like that. You can get it for $350 shipped with an offer at www.acousticsounddesign.com and I think this would be a good sub to plan for.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #10 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

If you can wait and save up that would be your best bet in my opinion. The Premier Acoustic PA-150 has excellent output, better than many much more expensive subs, and would be a good start in a room like that. You can get it for $350 shipped with an offer at www.acousticsounddesign.com and I think this would be a good sub to plan for.

How does the PA-120 compare to the 150? Is it still likely to be fairly inadequate in a large room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Audio Psw10 10 Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer With Mini Tool Box , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Dayton Audio Rs1200a 12 Reference Series Subwoofer Assembled , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Premier Acoustic Pa 150

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page