Best subwoofer for all purpose under 300$ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Electriphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, before anyone says it. Yes I know the search bar is there. I have read just about every thread out there on this subject. I really want to make the right choice.

All right, my budget is 250$ but I could go up to 300$. It will be hooked up to my computer along with some 12" powered speakers. I listen to a lot of music, play games, and will also be using the setup as a HT system from time to time. I also want the system to be able to shake the house when we have parties.

A lot of the reccomended subwoofers are no longer sold or are out of my price range.
The ones i have been looking at are:

Lava lsp12 for 220$+15$ shipping - I've heard its musical and better them the f-12, so I'm not considering the f-12

H-100 for about 300 shipped - don't know as much about this one but I've heard its great.

JBL Es250 for 200 shipped from amazon or jbl - I've heard this is LOUD and very good quality, this and the lsp12 are my top picks right now. I have heard about the amplifier problem though

Various other brands that you guys reccomend (hsu's energy klipsch, bic, pa, etc..)

So any suggestions or input guys?

Thanks everyone! BTW first thread smile.gif
Electriphy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Electriphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump, please guys, need some help here smile.gif
Electriphy is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Member
 
johnny hotsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Check out these 2:

$99 + shipping after cyber monday coupon

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

$169 + shipping after cyber monday coupon

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

I hear lots of good things about the Sub-1200 and I actually just grabbed the Sub-1500, I figured if it's half as good as the reviews on the Sub-1200 then I hit a home run for a 15" sub for under $200 shipped and since it's a 15" driver it should theoretically hit pretty low. I guess I'll know next week when it arrives smile.gif

My small 12'x11'x8' HT room setup:
Sony 55XBR900E, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD, XBoneS, Denon AVR-X4400H, AC Infinity Aircom T10 AVR Fan (front exhaust), 2 DefTech BP9020's Front L/R, 2 DefTech A90's Atmos, DefTech C/L/R 2002 Center, 2 DefTech SM45's Rear Surrounds & 2 SVS SB12-NSD's subs.
johnny hotsauce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Senior Member
 
deepat04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 93
PL200
The PL-200 is a popular entry level home theater subwoofer often recommended to consumers on a strict budget. It is rather small and light bass reflex unit using a 12" driver and a 4" flared port firing out of the back of the enclosure. The system tuning frequency lands at about 30Hz which works well for most light-duty home theater applications. The driver appears to be constructed with decent if mediocre parts and a small simple overhung motor with a bumped back plate. It seems that considerable effort went into the cosmetics of the driver and enclosure rather than parts that would perhaps provide better performance. The unit does look pretty good cosmetically especially considering the price these are available at. It does not offer much extra in the features department having only the usual controls but this is expected in this price bracket. The measurement results indicate that it has respectable headroom and protection features but not much in the way of deep bass extension and a very rolled off top end which may make it difficult to blend with smaller main speakers. Overall, we feel the look, feel and output of the PL-200 is solid for the cost of the unit and represents a good value, but don't expect to be blown away by the performance from this budget sub.

The PA-150 offers solid bang for the buck. At only $349 you get a 70lb subwoofer with a 15" driver and a 250w amplifier in an MDF constructed vented enclosure –-not a bad deal in our opinion. It also looks quite good with the gloss black top and silver driver cone and the build quality is pretty good especially considering the cost. There is a single 4" flared vent on the back of the enclosure tuned to about 25hz which should be low enough for light to medium duty home theater applications. The driver is of modest construction but is commensurate with what you should expect from this price range. The motor is moderate size and the voice coil appears to be a 2" diameter. The driver seems to be quite efficient and offers decent excursion or at least enough to keep pace with a 250w amplifier. You will be hard pressed to find a more capable platform for $350 with a warranty.

https://www.avsforum.com/t/836707/best-subwoofer-under-300

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1473864/best-subwoofer-sub-300

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1415602/best-subwoofer-for-primarily-music-and-some-ht-under-300

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1238833/greatest-subwoofers-for-under-300-for-yamaha-ysp-4000

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1381319/looking-for-300-subwoofer

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1414574/thoughts-on-best-sub-under-300-for-ht

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1075306/best-subwoofer-under-300
deepat04 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
aboroth00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Look on your local craigslist and see what's there. Shipping a sub might be cost prohibitive but you might find a deal locally.
aboroth00 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Electriphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny hotsauce View Post

Check out these 2:

$99 + shipping after cyber monday coupon

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

$169 + shipping after cyber monday coupon

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

I hear lots of good things about the Sub-1200 and I actually just grabbed the Sub-1500, I figured if it's half as good as the reviews on the Sub-1200 then I hit a home run for a 15" sub for under $200 shipped and since it's a 15" driver it should theoretically hit pretty low. I guess I'll know next week when it arrives smile.gif

From what I have heard those are good for the price, but not quite in the same league as the others I've mentioned
Electriphy is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Electriphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

Look on your local craigslist and see what's there. Shipping a sub might be cost prohibitive but you might find a deal locally.
I've been doing that, so far I've found a Beringer euro live 18" stage speaker like 1000 RMS for like 200$ but that's only like 40 Hz. Some other stuff but nothing great
Electriphy is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Electriphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

PL200
The PL-200 is a popular entry level home theater subwoofer often recommended to consumers on a strict budget. It is rather small and light bass reflex unit using a 12" driver and a 4" flared port firing out of the back of the enclosure. The system tuning frequency lands at about 30Hz which works well for most light-duty home theater applications. The driver appears to be constructed with decent if mediocre parts and a small simple overhung motor with a bumped back plate. It seems that considerable effort went into the cosmetics of the driver and enclosure rather than parts that would perhaps provide better performance. The unit does look pretty good cosmetically especially considering the price these are available at. It does not offer much extra in the features department having only the usual controls but this is expected in this price bracket. The measurement results indicate that it has respectable headroom and protection features but not much in the way of deep bass extension and a very rolled off top end which may make it difficult to blend with smaller main speakers. Overall, we feel the look, feel and output of the PL-200 is solid for the cost of the unit and represents a good value, but don't expect to be blown away by the performance from this budget sub.

The PA-150 offers solid bang for the buck. At only $349 you get a 70lb subwoofer with a 15" driver and a 250w amplifier in an MDF constructed vented enclosure –-not a bad deal in our opinion. It also looks quite good with the gloss black top and silver driver cone and the build quality is pretty good especially considering the cost. There is a single 4" flared vent on the back of the enclosure tuned to about 25hz which should be low enough for light to medium duty home theater applications. The driver is of modest construction but is commensurate with what you should expect from this price range. The motor is moderate size and the voice coil appears to be a 2" diameter. The driver seems to be quite efficient and offers decent excursion or at least enough to keep pace with a 250w amplifier. You will be hard pressed to find a more capable platform for $350 with a warranty.

https://www.avsforum.com/t/836707/best-subwoofer-under-300

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1473864/best-subwoofer-sub-300

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1415602/best-subwoofer-for-primarily-music-and-some-ht-under-300

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1238833/greatest-subwoofers-for-under-300-for-yamaha-ysp-4000

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1381319/looking-for-300-subwoofer

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1414574/thoughts-on-best-sub-under-300-for-ht

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1075306/best-subwoofer-under-300
My main turnoff for the pl-200 is A the price is a fair bit more then I wanna spend. And B I have heard its not musical, and that's a big deal for me.

I've looked into the PA 120/150 and the 120 is still a bit over. The 150 even more so. And I don't really have the room for a 15" sub
Electriphy is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Member
 
johnny hotsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Tell us about the room you're trying to put this in? Are you in a house, condo, etc? The issue with the low budget wonders is you're not going to find the perfect sub that's going to give you total bass nirvana whether it's for music or movies or both.

For our situation, I chose a low budget model because of our living space restrictions and not being able to fully enjoy my purchase. We live in a duplex and share a common wall with our neighbor where our living room and HT is at and the neighbors living room is on the other side of the wall. I can actually budget to get a higher end sub but will never have the opportunity to fully use it unless I want the police at my front door every week. I do however need some lower bass extension as my towers don't seem to have much lower end punch but are fantastic on the upper end.

This is why I went with the Sub-1500, it will give me the lower end I need while we live here and I won't be suffering upgradititus because I know I'll never be able to enjoy the benefits of a better sub, in this house. Whenever we have the opportunity to sell and buy a free standing home, I'll build out killer HT in that place.

If your living situation allows, you might just want to sit tight and save a few more dollars and up your budget to something that fits your needs for music and HT duty otherwise you might end up where many others have as well, buying a low budget sub now for $300ish and then upgrading sooner than later into a $600+ sub because you're not getting what you need out of this purchase and then utlimately spending more than you needed to with both purchases.

Just my $0.02 smile.gif

My small 12'x11'x8' HT room setup:
Sony 55XBR900E, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD, XBoneS, Denon AVR-X4400H, AC Infinity Aircom T10 AVR Fan (front exhaust), 2 DefTech BP9020's Front L/R, 2 DefTech A90's Atmos, DefTech C/L/R 2002 Center, 2 DefTech SM45's Rear Surrounds & 2 SVS SB12-NSD's subs.
johnny hotsauce is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Electriphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny hotsauce View Post

Tell us about the room you're trying to put this in? Are you in a house, condo, etc? The issue with the low budget wonders is you're not going to find the perfect sub that's going to give you total bass nirvana whether it's for music or movies or both.

For our situation, I chose a low budget model because of our living space restrictions and not being able to fully enjoy my purchase. We live in a duplex and share a common wall with our neighbor where our living room and HT is at and the neighbors living room is on the other side of the wall. I can actually budget to get a higher end sub but will never have the opportunity to fully use it unless I want the police at my front door every week. I do however need some lower bass extension as my towers don't seem to have much lower end punch but are fantastic on the upper end.

This is why I went with the Sub-1500, it will give me the lower end I need while we live here and I won't be suffering upgradititus because I know I'll never be able to enjoy the benefits of a better sub, in this house. Whenever we have the opportunity to sell and buy a free standing home, I'll build out killer HT in that place.

If your living situation allows, you might just want to sit tight and save a few more dollars and up your budget to something that fits your needs for music and HT duty otherwise you might end up where many others have as well, buying a low budget sub now for $300ish and then upgrading sooner than later into a $600+ sub because you're not getting what you need out of this purchase and then utlimately spending more than you needed to with both purchases.

Just my $0.02 smile.gif

Allright thanks for the input. As far as my loving situation the only limiting factor on noise would be my parents because the nearest neighbor is probably 400-500 feet away. As far as where it will go. 80% of the time it will be hooked up with my speakers in my bedroom to my computer for music games etc... My room is 12x12x8 so not huge. Another 10% would be moving the whole setup out to our living room for a HT system. The living room connects to the kitchen and sitting room but I don't need it to fill those rooms. So the living room is probably 20x20 with about 2/3 of one wall open. But the actual sitting area in the living room is only like 7 feet away from the TV so fairly small.

For parties on the occasion I would be cranking the thing up loud and it would either be put in our basement or in the living room and I'd like it to be able to shake the room that it is. The part of the basement that it'd be going in is comparable to the living room.


Also, I found the lava new for 230 2 day free day shipping smile.gif

Also found the h-100 for 239 shipped

And of course the JBL es250 for 200 shipped (maybe 180)

Leaning toward the lava because the next step up would probably be a hsu or rw 12II which are both out of my price range.
Electriphy is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
deepat04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Pl200 is 270$ shipped, this is arguabuly the best under $300.00...also it not being musical well...

Your subwoofer driver does not have a conscience, and it does not perform better with one type of music over another. It’s just a driver. Good subwoofer systems will play all types of music or movie material very well. A bad subwoofer system may have a null or peak in the frequency response that may benefit some material over others but essentially this non-linear behavior is not ideal. It is true that movies have lower frequency content and perhaps more dynamic bass than music, especially with the recent compressed CD’s of the last 10 or so years, but a good system can be used for movies and music alike if it is indeed a “good” system.

It is also true that it tends to be more important to emphasize subsonic frequencies in the home theater environment versus the music environment where there is simply less emphasis on subsonic inaudible material. As a tradeoff, you can align a system to be more efficient above 30Hz or so. This trade off reduces the bandwidth but increases the SPL. Careful consideration should be taken to insure linear response is still maintained. It is very easy to have peaky bass with low Q drivers in high tuned ported systems. This is approaching the concept of basic SPL vehicles which use low Q, highly sensitive drivers tuned very high for very narrow but ferociously peaky response. Such systems are not very ideal for listing to music material of any kind. If you want your system louder, then it is better to add a second driver, more volume and more amplification, rather than tuning higher. It is important to understand that getting more SPL without compromise is never very cheap!

http://web.archive.org/web/20080416034852/http://www.audiopulse.com/know-how/subwoofer-driver-guide/myths-about-subwoofers/

The PL200 was the second sub I purchased (sold 6 months ago) its a very good subwoofer for the asking price.
deepat04 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Electriphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help and info.

Where did you find it for 270$ shipped? I could only find 330$
Electriphy is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 12-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Newbie
 
bassmant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I believe you have to go http://www.sounddistributors.com/ or http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/klipsch-speakers/Klipsch-Home-Theater-Systems.cfm. If you make them an offer around $270.00 they usually except it or counter you offer with a similar price. These are the same main retailers that sell this speaker on Amazon and Ebay.

bassmant is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Member
 
cisco kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Never Never Land
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Emo Tek 1010i @ 249 shipped reg 499

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
cisco kid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Acoustech H 100 Cinema Series 500 Watt Front Firing Subwoofer , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Jbl Es250pbk 12 Inch Subwoofer Black

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off