Need help dialing in my Rythmik LV12R with 2xCBM 170 SEs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Basically, I'm a complete newb and recently picked up a pair of Ascend CBM-170SEs and a Rythmik LV12R and need some help getting dialed in.  Here's my story so far:

12/12 - Speakers arrived, hooked them up to the receiver (Denon E300).  Did NOT run Audyssey at this point, I just connected the speakers and let it rip.  Music sounded fantastic, full-bodied and really filled the room.

...Lots of enjoyable music listening happens...

12/16 - LV12R Arrives.  I hook it up and run Audyssey.  Distances look spot on, it sets me up with 40Hz crossover, I adjust this to 80Hz following the recommended settings from Rythmik.  Audyssey also sets up a +5db to the sub, I leave that be (Rythmik suggests changing location it if is +/- 6db or more)

....Play some movies, LoTR is awesome.   Furniture vibrating from Balrog scene. Nuke in the first scene of The Wolverine shaking the walls at 50% volume on the sub and 70% on the Denon.  OK that was pretty awesome.

Today - But...after spending some time with the setup, music just doesn't sound as good as it did with just the speakers.  Somehow, not as full.  Highs sound a bit tinny, and the bass a bit too boomy.  Almost distracting.  I notice it in movies as well, a bit distracting.  Distracting even in TV shows during random scenes when frequency drops low enough for the bass to kick on.   

I like being able to feel the bass in the action scenes in movies, but also want things to blend and not be distracted by the bass. I end up setting the sub to high extension and turning down the volume on the bass well below 50%. Sounds a bit better...but I think the sub is close to being off at this point.

So, this weekend I would like to get this thing dialed in.  I can try moving it around some, but it is in a rather small room (10'x12'x7') and there just aren't many places to go.  I have it in the corner of the room now facing out next to the entertainment center. 

Things I plan to try this weekend:  Put the crossover back to the 40hz that Audyssey set it at originally.  Do the bass crawl (though like I said there are relatively few choices here) and the Garrison Keillor calibration suggested here: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/an-easy-solution-to-subwoofer-calibration to get the proper volume on the sub.  Any other tips?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
Your speakers are rated down to 58Hz @ -3dB (anechoic) / 53Hz @ -3dB (in-room). I wouldn't drop the crossover below 80Hz (and certainly not to 40Hz).

Try different audio / Audyssey settings. FWIW:
- I watch movies with Audyssey set to "Audyssey" and Dynamic EQ set to "on"; but
- I listen to music with it set to "Bypass Front L/R" and no DEQ.

You could even try music with Audyssey set to "off", since you like the natural (un-Audyssey'd) response of your speakers.
Javk likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Alrighty I'll play with some of those settings and see what it sounds like this afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
Hi Javk. It looks like your corner setup is generally providing you with some decent bass reinforcement and this is why Audyssey is reporting a low end rolloff (F3) of 40Hz for the 170's. I'd tend to leave my crossovers high (80Hz) unless you can readily pinpoint the location of the sub, as this makes life much easier for your main speakers and the AVR's amps. There's no harm in experimenting with 60Hz or 70Hz though, to see if it gives you splice that you prefer the sound of.

My first reaction from your movie -v- music descriptions is to check a few other Audyssey settings before you switch it or DEQ off. With DEQ on, try Reference Level Offset of 15 &/or 10dB for music and 10dB for TV. (A 0dB RLO is correct for movies but will in theory be over-boosting the bass on pop/rock music and TV content.)

I'd give these settings a decent listen before shifting the sub. If you do shift it, I'd try sliding it along the wall away from the corner if possible.

Let us know how you go with those combinations of settings.

PS: When you ran Audyssey, did you have the sub set to Low Extension? I think this is recommended by Rythmik, so that Audyssey is more likely to apply cuts rather than boosts to the low end.
Javk likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-23-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the suggestions.   I think really the biggest issue I had was being a newbie and assuming that good settings for HT would translate to good settings for music.

Turning off dynamic volume for music definitely helps.  I still have yet to play with RLO settings.  After calibrating the volume level with some vocals, I think it is sounding pretty good now.  ( I mean it was already sounding amazing, just now it's getting really dialed in to the sound i like).  I think that the volume actually was the biggest offender in music listening.  I can still pick out the bass very well when listening,  but the bass isn't 'boomy' or distracting.  

Also toggling the LPF slope seems to have a noticeable difference in music.   I'm not 100% sure what this does.   I understand what a low pass filter is, but not what the slope is, or why it's measured in dB instead of Hz.   I suppose it's reducing the amplitude of frequencies above the cut-off?  But what's the cutoff (the crossover setting? How do frequencies > crossover come through if the receiver is handling this?)  Is the db reduction applied linearly or is it tapered?  Probably very noobish questions again, but trying to understand what everything does not just what the best settings should be :)

post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javk View Post

Also toggling the LPF slope seems to have a noticeable difference in music.   I'm not 100% sure what this does.   I understand what a low pass filter is, but not what the slope is, or why it's measured in dB instead of Hz.   I suppose it's reducing the amplitude of frequencies above the cut-off?  But what's the cutoff (the crossover setting? How do frequencies > crossover come through if the receiver is handling this?)  Is the db reduction applied linearly or is it tapered?  Probably very noobish questions again, but trying to understand what everything does not just what the best settings should be smile.gif

These came in handy for me a few years back when I was trying to understand the generic subwoofer stuff:

Crossover Networks
Bass Management Part 1
Bass Management Part 2
Placement & Adjustments
Standing Waves and Room Modes

HTH
Javk likes this.

HT:: Salk SongTwr-Raal / SongCtr-Raal / SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (my latest Dialing-in Guide); Denon 4520; ATI AT522NC; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; BJCables; CCast; Roku Ultra; Furman; Omnimic
CANS:: RPi>Soekris DAC1541 > LCD2C :: RPi>AGD DAC19 >Cavalli LC > MrSpeakers AFC & HE400i & HD569 :: RPi3 > Bifrost 4490 > Valhalla >HD600 & HD6XX :: RPi > Mimby >Schiit Vali 2 >Meze 99 Classics & Oppo PM3
post #7 of 7 Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

These came in handy for me a few years back when I was trying to understand the generic subwoofer stuff:

Crossover Networks
Bass Management Part 1
Bass Management Part 2
Placement & Adjustments
Standing Waves and Room Modes

HTH

Thanks! These links are awesome, only halfway through the first one and already feeling quite demystified :) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik Audio Lv12r

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page