Looking for Sub advice. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-25-2013, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'd like to start by thanking anyone who responds to this thread. I have been scouring this sight for the better part of the last week and are no less confused than when I started. So thank you in advance for your advice and I hope that I can be a thorough in my description as needed.

I am looking to purchase a subwoofer to complete my first HT setup. I currently have the Klipsch Quintet 5 channel system, a Sony 1040 receiver, and inexpensive Sony turntable. Initially I will be using the system 90-100% of the time for music, but expect to transition into movies as well. I also expect to upgrade my Quintet series to JBL L890s, LC2, and L820s at some point over the next few years, as I love my JBL N38s I have in my garage. For now I expect to use this system in my unfinished basement (depending on how it sounds) that is a rather large space 30x50 approx., but I'm not looking to shake the foundation of the neighbors house like my buddy does with his SVS PB13 Ultra & PB12 NSD. I'm looking for good clean bass for $800 or under. I have been researching the JBL L8400p($698) and the Polk DSW Pro 660wi($499). They both seem to get good reviews, but not much love from AVS. They also seem to have some pretty good specs for the price, but I've dealt with electronics long enough to know that specs don't always translate into desired performance. To give further insight, the music that I will be playing will listening to will be of the Classic Rock and Jam Band genres. Dave Matthews Band, The Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yonder Mountain String Band, Old Crow Medicine Show, JJ Grey & Mofro, America, Mumford & Sons, moe., Boston, Fleetwood Mac, and The Eagles just to name a few. If there is any other information that is need just let me know, but I hope that this is a good start. Thanks again for anyone who can help guide me through my selection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSip View Post

I'd like to start by thanking anyone who responds to this thread. I have been scouring this sight for the better part of the last week and are no less confused than when I started. So thank you in advance for your advice and I hope that I can be a thorough in my description as needed.

I am looking to purchase a subwoofer to complete my first HT setup. I currently have the Klipsch Quintet 5 channel system, a Sony 1040 receiver, and inexpensive Sony turntable. Initially I will be using the system 90-100% of the time for music, but expect to transition into movies as well. I also expect to upgrade my Quintet series to JBL L890s, LC2, and L820s at some point over the next few years, as I love my JBL N38s I have in my garage. For now I expect to use this system in my unfinished basement (depending on how it sounds) that is a rather large space 30x50 approx., but I'm not looking to shake the foundation of the neighbors house like my buddy does with his SVS PB13 Ultra & PB12 NSD. I'm looking for good clean bass for $800 or under. I have been researching the JBL L8400p($698) and the Polk DSW Pro 660wi($499). They both seem to get good reviews, but not much love from AVS. They also seem to have some pretty good specs for the price, but I've dealt with electronics long enough to know that specs don't always translate into desired performance. To give further insight, the music that I will be playing will listening to will be of the Classic Rock and Jam Band genres. Dave Matthews Band, The Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yonder Mountain String Band, Old Crow Medicine Show, JJ Grey & Mofro, America, Mumford & Sons, moe., Boston, Fleetwood Mac, and The Eagles just to name a few. If there is any other information that is need just let me know, but I hope that this is a good start. Thanks again for anyone who can help guide me through my selection.

Welcome! The world of subwoofers awaits! The best advice that can be had other than just throwing subwoofers at you is why not just borrow your friend's PB12 NSD and see how it sounds in your space. Your space is VERY LARGE and at new prices around what you're looking at the PB12 probably has the most output for the buck. The PB12 probably isn't the most musical subwoofer around and it's usually touted for its extension and HT capabilities but if it works in your setup then great. SVS has free ship back and forth so it's worth looking at their other subs as well. If you're in Socal, you can check out Hsu Research which is located in Anaheim, CA. The usual suspects around here are Rythmik, Hsu, SVS, Outlaw, PSA and I'm sure i'm missing a couple others. Again, the best advice is to get a subwoofer actually in your room and seeing for yourself how it performs and your needs. Other than that, buying a used sub locally is probably the best bang for your buck and would be my first recommendation if you're looking to explore what's out there.
Hopinater likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 123
That's a ton of space to fill so it's unlikely any $800 sub will have enough oompf. That said, the PSA XV15 will have the most overall output at $800.

Projector: Epson Home Cinema 2100; Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080; Speakers: Monitor Audio Controlled Performance Inwalls and Inceilings; Subwoofer(s): SVS PC-2000; Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S6500; Remote: Simple Controls; Cables: Monoprice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 11460

Wow, that's 12000 cu ft to fill with $800 dollars of subwoofer. That's a tall order. But you say it's unfinished right now. Are your plans to finish it in the future? If so that will help with the size of the space as you add in walls, making it easier for the sub to pressurize the area.

I don't think you have to be worried about shaking the foundation because any subwoofer you get will struggle to pressurize that much space all by itself, especially a subwoofer on a $800 budget. Not that $800 is not a lot of money because it is, but large spaces require powerful subwoofers, often more than one, and that quickly adds up.

I do agree with rantalli that the XV15 would be your best bet for pure output at the $800 mark. I happen to own the XV15 and can tell you that it's a very good sub. Also aboroth listed all the ID companies that get mentioned a lot around here and they get mentioned for good reason. You will get a lot more bang for your buck going with the ID companies and they all have very good customer service as well as good reputations. He also mentioned SVS and their free shipping both ways and 45 day trial period. PSA has free shipping to your home and a 30 day trial period. 

Good luck with your search and enjoy putting together your new sound system. 

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #5 of 5 Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
That is a large space. Get a sub that is great above 40 Hz and forget low extension. You could get 2 Premiere Acoustics PA 150's for your budget. They are capable of tremendous output but suffer in the under 20 Hz extension. I had one and really liked the SQ. At the time I also had an SVS and Epik sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Jbl L890ch 4 Way High Performance 8 Inch Dual Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Jbl L820 Four Way Speaker , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page