Reaction Audio Subs - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4224Likes

post #4531 of 6445 Old 12-19-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Hey guys, I won't be able to offer a comparison after all, as I have asked @edgebsl to cancel the order. Very unexpectedly yesterday I ended up being able to get back into a SubMersive from Mark Seaton, this time the F2 form factor which fits fine in my small room.

So there should be a couple of B-stock Gramma 15's available to others now.

Cheers,
Ross
Can't go wrong there. Seaton subs are beautiful and top notch.
Sounds like you got a steal there.
I got your message and yes we will put them back up for grabs!

Happy Holidays to you my friend.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 6445 Old 12-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
Can't go wrong there. Seaton subs are beautiful and top notch.
Sounds like you got a steal there.
I got your message and yes we will put them back up for grabs!

Happy Holidays to you my friend.
Jeremy, you are a class act! Thank you for being so easy to work with.

Cheers,
Ross
gkf15 and powerlifter405 like this.
post #4533 of 6445 Old 12-19-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Jeremy, you are a class act! Thank you for being so easy to work with.

Cheers,
Ross
Thank you!

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4534 of 6445 Old 12-21-2015, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 151
On October 21 of this year I began my search in earnest to replace my faithful and much loved 15-year-old Paradigm Reference Servo 15a subwoofer. That subwoofer served me well in the smaller rooms in which I had used it but it struggled in the 5,800 cubic foot family room in our new home. The family room has tile floors on concrete with area rugs, the front and rear walls are CBS construction and it has 3 door-sized openings into other portions of our home. Based upon price and performance I decided upon a pair of Reaction Audio Echo 15’s and placed the order on October 29. The subwoofers were delivered 7 weeks and 1 day later on December 18. They arrived well packed and in perfect condition. The finish is a very nice looking smooth matte black, the corners are rounded and the ICEpower amp plate is set flush on the rear. The magnetic grills with Reaction Audio logos are attractive.

After unpacking the subwoofers I placed them in the front left and right corners of my family room outside my Klipsch Reference RF-82 II mains. I set them up thusly: power switch on Auto, receiver LFE connected to Left RCA input, Gain at 9 o’clock (2 dots above MIN), LF adjust at Cut, Crossover at 120 HZ/OUT, and Delay at 0ms. I ran MCACC on my Pioneer receiver and it set the subwoofers to -1.5dB, the other speakers were set to between -5.5 and -9.0dB. I tweaked the MCACC settings using the Work Flow in the first post in the Pioneer MCACC thread. I then bumped the subs 1.5dB hot setting them to 0dB in the Pioneer menu.

Last night I sat down and watched Interstellar and its DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (5.2!) audio mix at -15 on the receiver. Typical listening volumes for my system are -9 to -15 for blu-rays which create immersive movie theater volumes. Interstellar at -15 was quite loud. My initial reaction to these subs while watching the film was “holy $#!T!!!” These subwoofers pressurized my large room like my poor old Servo 15 never could. The explosion when Matt Damon’s character opened the outer airlock hatch hit hard and the black hole encounter scene was positively thunderous. At many points in the film the subs pressurized the room physically assaulting us in the main viewing positions. I had a grin ear to ear.

I can honestly say Jeremy has created a winner with the Echo 15. I’m 100% satisfied with the bass these 15-inchers produce and could not even imagine what his larger subwoofers would do in my room. I’m definitely keeping them and will be enjoying many a movie on them for years to come.

Martin
chucky7, Gorgo, jbrown15 and 5 others like this.

Family Room: LeEco uMax85, Pioneer Elite SC-LX801; Klipsch Reference RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II & RB-51 II; 2 Reaction Audio Echo 15 subs; Comcast X1 / Philips BDP7302 / Apple TV 4K / Xbox One X
Living Room: YS-Audio Audio Experience Balanced A2; DIY ICEpower 1200AS1 monoblocks; Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE; Topping DX7s; Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running Volumio; PS Audio GCPH; Opera Consonance LP-2.0; Mørch UP-4; Grado Sonata; Sennheiser HD 598
post #4535 of 6445 Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
^ congrats man! Glad to hear you like them, and they sure do look nice in your room.

Any other movies you are planning to watch soon? I just watched Mad Max Fury Road and Jurassic World, and I recommend both of them for your new subs.
gkf15 likes this.
post #4536 of 6445 Old 12-21-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Smile

martin congratulations

excellent review!

it makes you want and confirms my choice of gamma 21!
post #4537 of 6445 Old 12-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 583
They look awesome Martin. Can't wait for mine to show up! Hopefully before New Years!
gkf15 likes this.
post #4538 of 6445 Old 12-22-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
On October 21 of this year I began my search in earnest to replace my faithful and much loved 15-year-old Paradigm Reference Servo 15a subwoofer. That subwoofer served me well in the smaller rooms in which I had used it but it struggled in the 5,800 cubic foot family room in our new home. The family room has tile floors on concrete with area rugs, the front and rear walls are CBS construction and it has 3 door-sized openings into other portions of our home. Based upon price and performance I decided upon a pair of Reaction Audio Echo 15’s and placed the order on October 29. The subwoofers were delivered 7 weeks and 1 day later on December 18. They arrived well packed and in perfect condition. The finish is a very nice looking smooth matte black, the corners are rounded and the ICEpower amp plate is set flush on the rear. The magnetic grills with Reaction Audio logos are attractive.

After unpacking the subwoofers I placed them in the front left and right corners of my family room outside my Klipsch Reference RF-82 II mains. I set them up thusly: power switch on Auto, receiver LFE connected to Left RCA input, Gain at 9 o’clock (2 dots above MIN), LF adjust at Cut, Crossover at 120 HZ/OUT, and Delay at 0ms. I ran MCACC on my Pioneer receiver and it set the subwoofers to -1.5dB, the other speakers were set to between -5.5 and -9.0dB. I tweaked the MCACC settings using the Work Flow in the first post in the Pioneer MCACC thread. I then bumped the subs 1.5dB hot setting them to 0dB in the Pioneer menu.

Last night I sat down and watched Interstellar and its DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (5.2!) audio mix at -15 on the receiver. Typical listening volumes for my system are -9 to -15 for blu-rays which create immersive movie theater volumes. Interstellar at -15 was quite loud. My initial reaction to these subs while watching the film was “holy $#!T!!!” These subwoofers pressurized my large room like my poor old Servo 15 never could. The explosion when Matt Damon’s character opened the outer airlock hatch hit hard and the black hole encounter scene was positively thunderous. At many points in the film the subs pressurized the room physically assaulting us in the main viewing positions. I had a grin ear to ear.

I can honestly say Jeremy has created a winner with the Echo 15. I’m 100% satisfied with the bass these 15-inchers produce and could not even imagine what his larger subwoofers would do in my room. I’m definitely keeping them and will be enjoying many a movie on them for years to come.

Martin
Thank you Martin!
Glad you dig them.

Speaking of bigger subs we just got in the first pallet of production 21" drivers.
We were able to get them made with the same 7" inverted dust-caps that are on the rest of our subwoofer drivers plus stitching on the surrounds.

We will begin shipping immediately in the next week after everything is built and qc'ed.

We will have a camera ready Echo 21 in about 2 weeks and will announce pre-orders pretty soon.
In the future, we will start a simple notify/waiting list in the beginning stages and do the actual pre-orders only when we have everything just about ready to ship. We were not happy with the delays with the Gamma 21 launch although some of it had to be done and was well worth the modifications mid swing. But I will not let that happen again, regardless how exciting and cutting edge the product.

We will likely do that same method in any product launch or update we do in 2016.
Ryan Bouma (tuxedocivic) and I are working on some new designs for loudspeaker sometime in the new year and I should have more details sometime in January.

I will be travelling to Baltimore to spend xmas with family and will return on the 26th.
I will be able to check email periodically during the holidays and I will be back in full swing on the 27th.

Happy holidays to all of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21 pallet.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1137522  
chucky7, gkf15, countryWV and 3 others like this.

Jeremy

post #4539 of 6445 Old 12-22-2015, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thank you Martin!
Glad you dig them.

Speaking of bigger subs we just got in the first pallet of production 21" drivers.
We were able to get them made with the same 7" inverted dust-caps that are on the rest of our subwoofer drivers plus stitching on the surrounds.

We will begin shipping immediately in the next week after everything is built and qc'ed.

We will have a camera ready Echo 21 in about 2 weeks and will announce pre-orders pretty soon.
In the future, we will start a simple notify/waiting list in the beginning stages and do the actual pre-orders only when we have everything just about ready to ship. We were not happy with the delays with the Gamma 21 launch although some of it had to be done and was well worth the modifications mid swing. But I will not let that happen again, regardless how exciting and cutting edge the product.

We will likely do that same method in any product launch or update we do in 2016.
Ryan Bouma (tuxedocivic) and I are working on some new designs for loudspeaker sometime in the new year and I should have more details sometime in January.

I will be travelling to Baltimore to spend xmas with family and will return on the 26th.
I will be able to check email periodically during the holidays and I will be back in full swing on the 27th.

Happy holidays to all of you.
Bbbbbbut what about the 18s?
post #4540 of 6445 Old 12-22-2015, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiNiaRiS View Post
Bbbbbbut what about the 18s?
Shipping steady!
Sent you update via PM.

Jeremy

post #4541 of 6445 Old 12-23-2015, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
@edgebsl

From what I can tell you work like a dog. Enjoy your time off with your family. The emails can wait until you get back from your trip.
chucky7 and gkf15 like this.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #4542 of 6445 Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Enjoy the vacation Jeremy, it's well deserved.

Also, way to bury the new speaker design comment in the midst of all that other stuff LOL. I can only imagine the sort of speaker you and tux are collaborating on, very much looking forward to hearing about that in January.
gkf15 likes this.
post #4543 of 6445 Old 12-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Shipping steady!
Fingers crossed for New Years?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6acbf45c7fde7f40efb6f1561cd52d0eb62f70dff22602e3e096d215a7e79e84.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1138146  

Stereo Noob, Sherbourn SR-120 pushing 5ch Arx/Chane. JTR 218HT prototype
post #4544 of 6445 Old 12-26-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and looking for some insight. My room is 32x18x12-14h and is open to my kitchen and dining room separated my a 12ft wall. I listen to both music and movies. My addiction starts at 30hz and below. Last spring I picked up an Outlaw Ultra x12, and told my wife it was the last subwoofer I would need to buy. While this sub is amazing, I underestimated my addiction. The X12 has amazing capabilities and is one of the best subs I've ever heard, but I think it gets lost in my room. There are a couple of sweet spots but not enough to satisfy me, and the claimed 17hz is only achievable nearfield. I've had my eyes on RA for a while now and am considering the Echo 18. How would this play along with my X12 in nearfield? Would this set up fill my room? I'm tired of chasing the dragon and having to explain to my wife why I need to keep spending money on new subwoofers. My budget is 2k, but 1500 is more realistic. Any thoughts out there? Thank you!
post #4545 of 6445 Old 12-26-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 8830
I would imagine there is not very many rooms out there that a Echo 18 would not fill with solid amounts of clean bass...it is a monster of a sub that would eat that X12 up like a snack.

Last edited by basshead81; 12-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.
post #4546 of 6445 Old 12-26-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would imagine there is not very many rooms out that a Echo 18 would not fill solid amounts of clean bass...it is a monster of a sub that would eat that X12 up like a snack.
I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it... I really like the X12, and I hate selling subs. Would the X12 at least give some good tactile right on the side of my couch with the E18 on the front right of my sound stage about 18ft from my seat?
post #4547 of 6445 Old 12-26-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked: 3387
Tux

Ryan (TUX) is a real gentleman and a highly regarded speaker designer from the ground up. I could only imagine what he will come up, whatever it is I'm sure it will be in a class of it's own. I look forward to this project. I'd like to see a smaller multi driver vented cabinet design. I could be way off with this prediction, just my 2 cents though. Congrats, and sorry for bringing up speaker design in a sub thread.

Cheers Jeffrey
post #4548 of 6445 Old 12-26-2015, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criah563 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and looking for some insight. My room is 32x18x12-14h and is open to my kitchen and dining room separated my a 12ft wall. I listen to both music and movies. My addiction starts at 30hz and below. Last spring I picked up an Outlaw Ultra x12, and told my wife it was the last subwoofer I would need to buy. While this sub is amazing, I underestimated my addiction. The X12 has amazing capabilities and is one of the best subs I've ever heard, but I think it gets lost in my room. There are a couple of sweet spots but not enough to satisfy me, and the claimed 17hz is only achievable nearfield. I've had my eyes on RA for a while now and am considering the Echo 18. How would this play along with my X12 in nearfield? Would this set up fill my room? I'm tired of chasing the dragon and having to explain to my wife why I need to keep spending money on new subwoofers. My budget is 2k, but 1500 is more realistic. Any thoughts out there? Thank you!

Are you limited to a single sub, cause that's a huge room you're working with?
post #4549 of 6445 Old 12-28-2015, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51
hello all,

i have been silent since getting my Gamma 15s (x2) since my denon 4520CI happened to die the same day. i had been waiting for it's replacement to come to do a proper evaluation on the gamma 15s but i cannot be silent anymore.

i have been using just one of my gamma 15s with my denon 1909, i put it in the same spot my vtf-2 mk3 had been. since recently moving i have been a tad lazy to run rew, i placed the sub in the front left corner of my room. (the other sub is in the opposite corner yearning to be used)

it's a smallish open loft 12x11x9 or so. i didn't know what to expect since the vtf-2 got used with multieq xt32 while the gamma 15 is with basic multieq.

well, i've been on a movie binge since i've had time off for the holidays and must say, even only using the single gamma 15 the bass has been amazing.

the problem i've had with my vtf-2 was getting quality bass that gives enough impact while integrating well with my speakers.

with the gamma 15, i get a great thump without being overwhelming. the bass feels seemless with my kefs. i also felt enveloped in it as the bass transitioned well into my surround speakers.
i didn't have to turn up the dB at all after calibration which was a pleasant surprise (i was doing +3dB over calibration with the VTF-2)

overall i am very happy and can't wait to see the impact of running duals. my replacement 4520ci is coming in today and I will calibrate everything when I get home tonight.

just wanted to make sure everyone knew that the little gamma 15 can still belt out amazing bass and i am very happy with my decision.

i will update once i get some decent time running both of my gamma 15s.

thanks again to jeremy for great prices and his personal touch when it comes to customer service.
post #4550 of 6445 Old 12-28-2015, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criah563 View Post
Hi guys,

The Echo 18 would do well in that space depending on what your expectations are.
It certainly would fill the room about as well as you can under $1500. With a room that large to pressure it really depends on your listening habits and how loud you want it. We are putting 6 Echo 21s in a room much smaller than yours soon so it is all relative.

I think the X12 could work well in a near field position and many are liking using subs in that way because it provides a different experience than tactile transducers.
gkf15 likes this.

Jeremy

post #4551 of 6445 Old 12-29-2015, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Ryan (TUX) is a real gentleman and a highly regarded speaker designer from the ground up. I could only imagine what he will come up, whatever it is I'm sure it will be in a class of it's own. I look forward to this project. I'd like to see a smaller multi driver vented cabinet design. I could be way off with this prediction, just my 2 cents though. Congrats, and sorry for bringing up speaker design in a sub thread.

Cheers Jeffrey
No worries and glad to see you back on and in better health and spirits.

The first task we are tackling involves putting a little bit of freshness on the current lineup introduced in summer of 2014 and also involves us working with another company to develop a proprietary driver or two at our request. This need stems from two things:

I wanted to have more options to customize to get certain performance and application goals accomplished.
Secondly I wanted it to make sense to receive drivers in triple digits in order to facilitate faster shipping and constant inventory.

From a design perspective, I feel confident that Tux will be able to provide the best cabinet and crossover optimizations and the ability to ascertain the performance through a battery of free space and other environmental measurements and observations.

While a huge shipment of drivers is on it's way to us, we are still quite a ways away from announcing anything beyond what I have laid out. This is not something that is going to be rushed and when it's done, it should provide a great performance and value level.

Another great thing Tux has contributed is a complete and meticulous loudspeaker QC checklist which is thorough enough to catch problems, even the really sneaky and subtle ones so that nothing slips by. We owe him a lot of thanks for a great contribution over the last few months.

Jeremy

post #4552 of 6445 Old 12-29-2015, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfungus View Post
hello all,

i have been silent since getting my Gamma 15s (x2) since my denon 4520CI happened to die the same day. i had been waiting for it's replacement to come to do a proper evaluation on the gamma 15s but i cannot be silent anymore.

i have been using just one of my gamma 15s with my denon 1909, i put it in the same spot my vtf-2 mk3 had been. since recently moving i have been a tad lazy to run rew, i placed the sub in the front left corner of my room. (the other sub is in the opposite corner yearning to be used)

it's a smallish open loft 12x11x9 or so. i didn't know what to expect since the vtf-2 got used with multieq xt32 while the gamma 15 is with basic multieq.

well, i've been on a movie binge since i've had time off for the holidays and must say, even only using the single gamma 15 the bass has been amazing.

the problem i've had with my vtf-2 was getting quality bass that gives enough impact while integrating well with my speakers.

with the gamma 15, i get a great thump without being overwhelming. the bass feels seemless with my kefs. i also felt enveloped in it as the bass transitioned well into my surround speakers.
i didn't have to turn up the dB at all after calibration which was a pleasant surprise (i was doing +3dB over calibration with the VTF-2)

overall i am very happy and can't wait to see the impact of running duals. my replacement 4520ci is coming in today and I will calibrate everything when I get home tonight.

just wanted to make sure everyone knew that the little gamma 15 can still belt out amazing bass and i am very happy with my decision.

i will update once i get some decent time running both of my gamma 15s.

thanks again to jeremy for great prices and his personal touch when it comes to customer service.
Thank you for the kind words!
This is the kind of thing that upon hearing, reminds me why I chose to do this.

Jeremy

post #4553 of 6445 Old 12-31-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
just got on the pre order list for dual echo 21s. they will be accommodating my dual vertical martys up front.

should be some awesome LFE in a room about 12x18
gkf15 and countryWV like this.

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
post #4554 of 6445 Old 12-31-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmacblu View Post
I've received the Echo 18 XL and am integrating it into my family room, a monumental task in itself. The first time I played the calibration detection tone on my receiver, my girlfriend came running out of the shower concerned that there was an earthquake (we live in Florida...). I think I have found a nice sweetspot where there is some nice gain at my listening position and a lucky lull where my girlfriend usually sits. I have yet to watch a movie but plan to this weekend and will report back. Below is a photo of it in it's first position and where it currently resides. The grill is shipping separate so I should have that soon.

Attachment 1112746
thats awesome i never even considered how cool it would be if you could find a sweet spot for yourself and a null where the other half sits.
thats ficken hilarious my friend.

if could i would love some feedback of your 18xl, i also considered buying 2 but i just got on the waiting list for dual echo 21s

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
post #4555 of 6445 Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Let's see if I can help you. You have a Gamma 15 so,

Start with Gain @ 12 o'clock, LF Adjust @ Cut, Crossover @ 120 Hz/Out, Delay @ 0 ms, RCA input @ left. input switch @ RCA.

After you run auto calibration in your AVR, check your sub level. Try to aim for a - 6.

If you get a -10, turn the gain down, then rerun auto calibration; if you get a -3, turn it up, then rerun auto calibration.

If you have a -6, you are set. Then you can manually bump the sub level in the AVR speaker level setting.

Most people will increase say a -6 to 0 ( 6 dB hot ) or -6 to -3 ( 3 dB hot ).

After this, your sub is calibrated. Go watch a movie and report back.

After your sub is calibrated, any time you want to just turn down your sub, you should do so at your AVR speaker level setting, not with the gain on your sub.

If you adjusted the gain on your sub, you should run the auto calibration again.

Then you can adjust LF Adjust to taste. For Gamma 15, LF Adjust is boost only so Cut = 0, Boost = +6 dB. So if your room is small, you should leave it at closer to Cut. If your room is big, you can try somewhere between 12 o'clock ~ Boost.

See if the above works for you.
I finally have done the calibration.
In order to get -6dB, I have to set Gain to 2 o'clock (at 11 o'clock, it got +6dB, at 12, got + 2dB), anything else is set based on your suggestion.
After cal., I manually set it to 3dB hot (-3dB), I turn up LF adjust to about 9 o'clock, Crossover is way up (120Hz/Out), Delay 0ms.
Also, my Onkyo Rx doesn't have options to select Front/Center/Rear Small or Large but only display as Full Band or 40Hz/60Hz/80Hz THX/100Hz/120Hz/.....
So I set all speakers to 80Hz THX. Anything that I should take another look?

Also, side question, the -6dB Gain setting, is it applied for any sub or just a brand-dependent?
post #4556 of 6445 Old 12-31-2015, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
The Gain setting to get -6 dB sub level is because many here would like to set the sub 6 dB hot AND STAY UNDER 0 (sub level) to have the headroom. If you are only setting the sub level 3 dB hot, you will be fine if the gain gives you -3 dB sub level; and if you never set your sub level hot, setting the gain that gives you 0 dB sub level is fine, too. This is for all subs.

As for crossover, you should set it at 80Hz THX for all of the speakers anyways so you are good here.

I think you can turn up LF adjust to 12 o'clock if you want more boost on the low end. This is something that you can always adjust w/o having to run calibration afterwards.

Most importantly, how does your calibrated Gamma 15 sound now?
Thanks a lot for those info, chuck.
Good to know!

I would say it's better than before cal. It rocks but still seems lack of softness. ehhhh .... can't find the adjective here
post #4557 of 6445 Old 01-01-2016, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
thats awesome i never even considered how cool it would be if you could find a sweet spot for yourself and a null where the other half sits.
thats ficken hilarious my friend.

if could i would love some feedback of your 18xl, i also considered buying 2 but i just got on the waiting list for dual echo 21s
I've had the XL for some time now and I cannot find a single fault and have no complaints. From what I understand, the XL should have similar sound characteristics to the Echo 21 but in a smaller enclosure. Personally, I cannot fathom how people could want more than a single monster subwoofer unless their room is gigantic or if they are looking for a symmetrical look. A single XL can easily pressurize my open floor plan room and almost pressurizes my entire house which is not that large but still around 2,500 square feet with 8 and 11 foot tall ceilings.

Also, I am only running it on a single 15A line that is shared with the rest of the room including my receiver and television so I can only imagine how loud the XL can get if it is on it's own 20A line.
post #4558 of 6445 Old 01-01-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
Also, I am only running it on a single 15A line that is shared with the rest of the room including my receiver and television so I can only imagine how loud the XL can get if it is on it's own 20A line.
I bet it sounds great. Jeremy makes some good stuff at even better prices.

Just had to correct the sounds loader if it was on a dedicated circuit comment. That isn't true. If your equipment that is hooked up to that circuit was drawing more juice then the 15 amps, plus a little more since most breakers won't trip at their exact rated amount, you would be going to your electrical panel frequently. Also have some inefficincies the other way too that provides some wiggle room.

You would be surprised if you metered what each was actually using during a movie as one example. Dedicated circuits are nice to have, but not required to enjoy the full benefits of your equipment using a little common sense
ahblaza and gkf15 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff

Last edited by smurraybhm; 01-01-2016 at 06:06 AM.
post #4559 of 6445 Old 01-01-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 3883
Quote:
Personally, I cannot fathom how people could want more than a single monster subwoofer unless their room is gigantic or if they are looking for a symmetrical look.
Sound quality. Once you have/hear/experience dual subs optimized to a +/- 3 dB FR, you will realize there is more to be had than gobs of output from a single sub with a poor frequency response. I think the first time people experience amazing output from a sub, it is hard to imagine there is any improvement left to be had. There is though.
blake18, ahblaza, gkf15 and 1 others like this.
post #4560 of 6445 Old 01-01-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 3883
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I bet it sounds great. Jeremy makes some good stuff at even better prices.

Just had to correct the sounds loader if it was on a dedicated circuit comment. That isn't true. If your equipment that is hooked up to that circuit was drawing more juice then the 15 amps, plus a little more since most breakers won't trip at their exact rated amount, you would be going to your electrical panel frequently. Also have some inefficincies the other way too that provides some wiggle room.

You would be surprised if you metered what each was actually using during a movie as one example. Dedicated circuits are nice to have, but not required to enjoy the full benefits of your equipment using a little common sense
You have to remember though, that the XL is using, if I am not mistaken, a 4000 watt amp. If you are watching a movie at 15 below reference I'm sure it doesn't matter. But if you use that sub to its full capability, such as reference level calibrated 6 dB hot plus a house curve, good luck not finding the limits of a 15 amp breaker with other equipment on it during the most demanding LFE scenes.
ahblaza, djreef and gkf15 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page