Reaction Audio Subs - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4225Likes

post #6151 of 6445 Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSky View Post
It been a few weeks... How is your fanboy status going?
I got my $ back. No harm, no foul - and I didn't have to cry like a toddler to get it.

DJ
Aarghon and hlnoiku like this.

2kW fully active, fully balanced 2 channel Vaders

Overkill IS my middle name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6445 Old 09-09-2016, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Liked: 3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by djreef View Post
I got my $ back. No harm, no foul - and I didn't have to cry like a toddler to get it.

DJ
No harm no foul and I didn't have to cry like a toddler. How can you be so insensitive to those who didn't, that post is insulting and should be taken down. What did you do to get your money back and why didn't you help others to do the same? Good job man, you're inspiration is admirable.........
post #6153 of 6445 Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
No harm no foul and I didn't have to cry like a toddler. How can you be so insensitive to those who didn't, that post is insulting and should be taken down. What did you do to get your money back and why didn't you help others to do the same? Good job man, you're inspiration is admirable.........
You're right. I should just sit back and take it.

NOT!!!!

Firstly, I'm not waving it in anyone's face. It sucks for many of those who got left out. Some seemed to work real hard to make their situation a helluva lot worse.

Secondly, I chose to rationally work with Jeremy by keeping in touch, instead of turning this forum into a bitch fest for my own personal agenda/vendetta - as others have done. I think Jeremy appreciated that on some level, and refunded me before other folks (I don't know this for certain, but this is what I suspect). You see, sometimes going out of your way to be a twat backfires. I'm sure others can chime in to the effectiveness of such strategies. I choose a higher road.

DJ

Last edited by djreef; 09-09-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6154 of 6445 Old 09-09-2016, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
You're right. I should just sit back and take it.

NOT!!!!

Firstly, I'm not waving it in anyone's face. It sucks for many of those who got left out. Some seemed to work real hard to make their situation a helluva lot worse.

Secondly, I chose to rationally work with Jeremy by keeping in touch, instead of turning this forum into a bitch fest for my own personal agenda/vendetta - as others have done. I think Jeremy appreciated that on some level, and refunded me before other folks (I don't know this for certain, but this is what I suspect). You see, sometimes going out of your way to be a twat backfires. I'm sure others can chime in to the effectiveness of such strategies. I choose a higher road.

DJ
There's just a lot of people standing on the sidelines with gas cans. Untold number of ambulance chasers too.

Unfortunate what's happened.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #6155 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've tried to keep in touch with Jeremy but he doesn't seem to be too interested in keeping me up to date with anything.

I only posted my negative experience after months of waiting with no resolution. BTW, still no resolution on my $3250 USD unfulfilled order.

It worries me that the webstore is closed and Jeremy doesn't seem to be around either.

It'd be no harm, no foul for me as well if I just got my money back. I haven't cried like a toddler and I've been respectful in all my communications here and with Jeremy.

This is such a bad situation for those awaiting refunds
post #6156 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koze View Post
I've tried to keep in touch with Jeremy but he doesn't seem to be too interested in keeping me up to date with anything.

I only posted my negative experience after months of waiting with no resolution. BTW, still no resolution on my $3250 USD unfulfilled order.

It worries me that the webstore is closed and Jeremy doesn't seem to be around either.

It'd be no harm, no foul for me as well if I just got my money back. I haven't cried like a toddler and I've been respectful in all my communications here and with Jeremy.

Art this point in time, especially with you being outside the USA, Jeremy has pretty much left you high and dry. He's a liar and a crook.
post #6157 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koze View Post

No doubt. Jeremy is no angel in all of this, and he needs to settle these outstanding accounts as he's able. I still hope he has plans to do this. It would be dishonorable to do otherwise.

I believe that his plight was borne out of cognitive dissonance. I don't think he intentionally set out to defraud anyone. His reality was simply different from everyone else's. His business model was built upon perfection. When plans didn't realize, and problems arose (which they always do) the wheels started falling off. I think he actually believed he could make things right, and turn things around. He was wrong, and as everybody knows when you're repeatedly wrong in business, you fail. You can only buy time through 'creative means' for so long before the reality of your situation sets in.

All I can say he was cool with me, and I to him, and it is my belief that we developed a level of understanding. I gambled and ended up breaking even, tho dissappointed that I didn't receive what I paid for, and I do consider myself fortunate that I was able to get out of this relatively unharmed.

DJ

post #6158 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
Quote:
No doubt. Jeremy is no angel in all of this, and he needs to settle these outstanding accounts as he's able. I still hope he has plans to do this. It would be dishonorable to do otherwise.

I believe that his plight was borne out of cognitive dissonance. I don't think he intentionally set out to defraud anyone. His reality was simply different from everyone else's. His business model was built upon perfection. When plans didn't realize, and problems arose (which they always do) the wheels started falling off. I think he actually believed he could make things right, and turn things around. He was wrong, and as everybody knows when you're repeatedly wrong in business, you fail. You can only buy time through 'creative means' for so long before the reality of your situation sets in.

All I can say he was cool with me, and I to him, and it is my belief that we developed a level of understanding. I gambled and ended up breaking even, tho dissappointed that I didn't receive what I paid for, and I do consider myself fortunate that I was able to get out of this relatively unharmed.

DJ
I don't think this sympathetic failed creative artist perspective is probably relevant to many people. If any business X failed me in supplying product within a reasonable time and then didn't follow-up with decent customer service in refunding my money--and I saw the same thing happening repeatedly to many others over a period of months--I would not buy from them again nor be sympathetic regardless of "intentions."
ahblaza and djreef like this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #6159 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
not to mention even the PERCEPTION..that Jeremy refunded HIM first before others...cause he didnt put up a stink?!?! sheer BS...keep apologizing for him

and with all the derogatory remarks..including one for a female genetalia that is quite offensive...how have you NOT been banned?
ahblaza likes this.
post #6160 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 5966 Post(s)
Liked: 5509
DJ must be a relative of Jeremy Edge. Look how fast he is to question Mark Seaton:

Quote:
Has anyone heard from Mark? I hope he's not trapped under a large appliance.

I've sent him e-mails and no response. How is he going to fill orders with a looming deadline if he's out of pocket?

DJ
post #6161 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2351
At this point, if you got a refund and no product...you are ahead. With RA business and their products going down so quickly it puts a cloud over everything that RA produced...whether it lives up to the performance or not.

My first purchase was the CX-8's....from the first stock produced. I was trying to find a less expensive alternative the JTR single 8's. I liked the first set so much, I bought a second set. Once Jeremy came out with the CX-10's, I decided to purchase 3 for my LCR's. I've been happy with their performance. Again, all were purchased early on in the RA business cycle.

Here we are today and with the cloud hanging over RA, by default puts ALL of his products under the same cloud. What this means to current owners is no matter how their individual speakers perform..... there is no warranty and are they part of the good batch or bad batch in terms of quality control?

That means that $1,800 worth of speakers sell for $700. Now the person buying the speakers gets a good deal and when going to resell their value won't diminish to the same degree it did for the original owner. Being second or third in the chain of ownership will be in a good position.

Please note, the worst off are those that gave money to Jeremy and DIDN'T get Anything! So please don't take my rant as seeking "a pity party"...in the end we got something for our money. Those that are still owed something whether it's straight out cash or a repair or replacement are in (sadly) worst position.

Between my ED, SMX and RA purchases....I think I am done for a little while with ID purchases. I know there are companies like PSA, JTR and Seaton that have stand up folks with quality products behind them....I just need a little breather.

Ron
djreef likes this.
post #6162 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 1266
***notice***

The next post I see in here where members are bickering with each other will be your last. I will personally remove you from the entire forum.

Remember where you are. Act like adults and treat every other member with respect or do not post at all.

There will be no other warnings...

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #6163 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
At this point, if you got a refund and no product...you are ahead. With RA business and their products going down so quickly it puts a cloud over everything that RA produced...whether it lives up to the performance or not.

My first purchase was the CX-8's....from the first stock produced. I was trying to find a less expensive alternative the JTR single 8's. I liked the first set so much, I bought a second set. Once Jeremy came out with the CX-10's, I decided to purchase 3 for my LCR's. I've been happy with their performance. Again, all were purchased early on in the RA business cycle.

Here we are today and with the cloud hanging over RA, by default puts ALL of his products under the same cloud. What this means to current owners is no matter how their individual speakers perform..... there is no warranty and are they part of the good batch or bad batch in terms of quality control?

That means that $1,800 worth of speakers sell for $700. Now the person buying the speakers gets a good deal and when going to resell their value won't diminish to the same degree it did for the original owner. Being second or third in the chain of ownership will be in a good position.

Please note, the worst off are those that gave money to Jeremy and DIDN'T get Anything! So please don't take my rant as seeking "a pity party"...in the end we got something for our money. Those that are still owed something whether it's straight out cash or a repair or replacement are in (sadly) worst position.

Between my ED, SMX and RA purchases....I think I am done for a little while with ID purchases. I know there are companies like PSA, JTR and Seaton that have stand up folks with quality products behind them....I just need a little breather.

Ron
Great post Ron! 👏👍
post #6164 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I don't think this sympathetic failed creative artist perspective is probably relevant to many people. If any business X failed me in supplying product within a reasonable time and then didn't follow-up with decent customer service in refunding my money--and I saw the same thing happening repeatedly to many others over a period of months--I would not buy from them again nor be sympathetic regardless of "intentions."
No, I'm thinking his bridge in this industry is burned as a result of his actions. If this is the way it is to be, then that's just the way it goes.

DJ

post #6165 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
DJ must be a relative of Jeremy Edge. Look how fast he is to question Mark Seaton:
It's a legitimate question. I'm trying to order a pair of F-18s now that my order with RA has fallen through, and I couldn't get Mark to e-mail me back (he actually got ahold of me this afternoon) because he's setting things up for some expo that's happening next week. I just needed clarification on some things, is all. There is a looming deadline for introductory pricing on these subs, so...

I'm about to drop 4+ grand on a pair of subs - I think I deserve a little more than silence.

O, and we are not of relation.

No character assasination was ever attempted. As stated previously, that's not my style.

DJ

Last edited by djreef; 09-10-2016 at 08:07 PM.
post #6166 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
it's a legitimate question. I'm trying to order a pair of f-18s now that my order with ra has fallen through, and i couldn't get mark to e-mail me back (he actually got ahold of me this afternoon) because he's setting things up for some expo that's happening next week.
cedia?
post #6167 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
It's a legitimate question. I'm trying to order a pair of F-18s now that my order with RA has fallen through, and I couldn't get Mark to e-mail me back (he actually got ahold of me this afternoon) because he's setting things up for some expo that's happening next week. I just needed clarification on some things, is all. There is a looming deadline for introductory pricing on these subs, so...

I'm about to drop 4+ grand on a pair of subs - I think I deserve a little more than silence.

O, and we are not of relation.

No character assination was ever attempted. As stated previously, that's not my style.

DJ
The expo next week is CEDIA. One the biggest audio/video industry (home technology) conventions of the year. It starts in 3 days.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #6168 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
cedia?
Ya, that's it. Sorry, I'm not an industry guy, so I have no idea what that is.

DJ

post #6169 of 6445 Old 09-10-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The expo next week is CEDIA. One the biggest audio/video industry (home technology) conventions of the year. It starts in 3 days.
OK, thanx. That sounds like it would be a blast to go to.

DJ

post #6170 of 6445 Old 09-11-2016, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked: 3205
djreef - while there are a number of us with "no skin" (didn't purchase or get burned), there are a those of us including Brian who recommended RA products to forum members looking for a sub. When the rails started coming off, examples of that being long delays in fulfilling orders, poor QA, shipping notifications that weren't authentic, etc. Some of those same members started pointing those problems out and the RA fans ran the buses over them on this forum. Even up to a few weeks ago you had Jeremy doing this himself, even though the matter had been settled months ago amicably by all parties involved.

You are right that Jeremy's business model was built on perfection, that was using customer's funds to buy materials to build other customers orders - this is similar on a smaller scale to what we've seen take place with those investing money too many times as they chase unrealistic returns. As soon as folks started wanting refunds the wheels came off the model of perfection.

RA failed because it was severely under capitalized, couldn't convenience enough customers to pre-pay 100% upfront including me a year ago, and missed too many delivery dates. I can show you a few PMs with a well respected forum member where we privately discussed how this resembled eD a year ago. If you had your eyes open, didn't get sucked in by the too good to be true pricing (similar to the guy promising you high returns in a down market), big woofers with big amps (who cared if they didn't use screws), estimated output (who cares about quality, give me output ) and thought about the excuses Jeremy was providing this same time a year ago (through a few weeks ago) - you could see trouble was brewing.

Anytime someone mentioned this all looked suspicious- see Mix - that bus started up. If the RA fans could have seen past the 21" woofers a number of folks on this forum wouldn't have been burned. The warning signs were present - a year ago. This is the same thing that happened with eD, it's hard when you believe in a company/ownership to see clearly.

I don't mean to pile it on but you didn't have to do business with RA to be pissed off about its failure. This whole debacle has given the ID industry a black eye, those of us who value said ID industry have a right to be pissed. Your comments about about one of the most respected sub maker in the world - IMO - is a perfect example of the damage this has caused. Being patient when doing business with Seaton is well documented on this forum and others. You've chosen wisely by the way.

I'm out - RA is cooked, done, gone. No one caused RA to fail except for its founder. I will be back if Mr. Edge returns, he's proven unworthy to do business with, hopefully the band has better luck. All the best to those who have RA products, long may they run.

P.S. Kudos to those who questioned RA when it wasn't popular to do so. We all favor those we do business with, that can make it easy to over look the warning signs. It's unfortunate a failure can show the value of AVS. A forum were members have your back.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff

Last edited by smurraybhm; 09-11-2016 at 07:02 AM.
post #6171 of 6445 Old 09-11-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very well put Steve, I'm sure a lot of folks appreciate your support and wished they had it a long time ago, may have saved a lot of money and agonizing attempts at recouping their loses or at least preventing them. I just read through the first four pages of this thread which started January 2014 and by March there had not been one review of a product received and so many requests asking for impressions from owners. The writing was on the wall by the fifth month of RA's existence and folks still continued to send monies for products that didn't physically exist yet, just on paper. I won't continue to beat a dead horse but will leave you with this quote from a guy who ordered one of the first new more powerful models and was told it was ready to be shipped. Below is the quote...........

May 2014

I ordered mine quite a while back. Last word was that a bunch of them were supposed to be sent out this week.

I do think that Jeremy should make his ordering process a little more clear though.

Does he make each order from scratch? How long does it take (in general) to send out after ordering? Two to three weeks? Four weeks? It appeared in that blog photo like he had everything made ready to just put together, test and then ship.

I'm more than happy to help in starting his company and I'm willing to be patient because they look like great deals at this price but I think he needs to be more clear how his company works. Will the process go faster in the future?
Billy p likes this.
post #6172 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Very well put Steve, I'm sure a lot of folks appreciate your support and wished they had it a long time ago, may have saved a lot of money and agonizing attempts at recouping their loses or at least preventing them. I just read through the first four pages of this thread which started January 2014 and by March there had not been one review of a product received and so many requests asking for impressions from owners. The writing was on the wall by the fifth month of RA's existence and folks still continued to send monies for products that didn't physically exist yet, just on paper. I won't continue to beat a dead horse but will leave you with this quote from a guy who ordered one of the first new more powerful models and was told it was ready to be shipped. Below is the quote...........

May 2014

I ordered mine quite a while back. Last word was that a bunch of them were supposed to be sent out this week.

I do think that Jeremy should make his ordering process a little more clear though.

Does he make each order from scratch? How long does it take (in general) to send out after ordering? Two to three weeks? Four weeks? It appeared in that blog photo like he had everything made ready to just put together, test and then ship.

I'm more than happy to help in starting his company and I'm willing to be patient because they look like great deals at this price but I think he needs to be more clear how his company works. Will the process go faster in the future?
I will say (as we all know) it's not uncommon for start ups to have a bumpy road.....under estimating lead times, unexpected expenses etc etc. The real problem that I discounted was the half truths. I wrote it off as someone who was really trying to please the customer. Again, Jeremy presents himself as a likable person, so I assumed it was a nice guy really wanting to please the customer by telling them what they want to hear or giving them the best case scenario. But, in this case past performance/conduct predicted the future performance/conduct.

It got me thinking about how many transactions I complete through AVS...whether it's buying from a new ID company, a fellow member who is also an installer or calibrator or buying from the classified area. There is a lot of risk we take on with thousands of dollars. It hasn't (as of last week) stopped me from making "a leap of faith" purchase, but I learned from the experience.
smurraybhm and ahblaza like this.
post #6173 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
I am definitely more reluctant to go ID. I had a terrible experience with eD, I came very close to buying an Empire sub, and then I looked into Reaction and PSA for my next speakers. While PSA seems safe, I won't lie, it made me nervous knowing that most of these types of companies are a one man band, and if something were to happen to that person (health, burnout, financial, etc) these companies usually go down hard and fast. It's one thing if you are spending a couple hundred dollars, but quite another when you are spending thousands.

I ended up buying some JBL speakers after really debating whether or not to go with an ID brand.. So yes, these types of failures have an impact to the ID community as a whole. I am still a fan of ID and am actually considering an SVS sub for my new house (non-theater room) but just as there are pros with the ID model there are some pretty big cons too.
Jim1290 likes this.
post #6174 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will say (as we all know) it's not uncommon for start ups to have a bumpy road.....under estimating lead times, unexpected expenses etc etc. The real problem that I discounted was the half truths. I wrote it off as someone who was really trying to please the customer. Again, Jeremy presents himself as a likable person, so I assumed it was a nice guy really wanting to please the customer by telling them what they want to hear or giving them the best case scenario. But, in this case past performance/conduct predicted the future performance/conduct.

It got me thinking about how many transactions I complete through AVS...whether it's buying from a new ID company, a fellow member who is also an installer or calibrator or buying from the classified area. There is a lot of risk we take on with thousands of dollars. It hasn't (as of last week) stopped me from making "a leap of faith" purchase, but I learned from the experience.
I hear you Ron as I talked with Jeremy on the phone for an hour a couple of times and like I said he called me out of nowhere and it was a very cordial conversation, a month later the doors close, it's just so unreal. I've never had any problems buying ID except Epik which I did end up getting another amp for while the original was still working and sold the sub and got most of my investment back and the guy is still using that sub today.

I've sold and bought so many things right here on AVS and other audio Forum classifieds with zero problems. You do learn from experience as you say but many folks take the leap of faith without doing their homework. I believe Jeremy was trying to please the customers in the beginning but that soon led to promises that he just couldn't fulfill and we all know the snowball effect that has.

If you're considering a CD loaded horn wave guide speaker don't let the horn scare you into thinking harsh and bright, quite the opposite if done right and many owners can attest to that. I've received many emails from folks that have or had RAs and have since went that route and are very happy. I don't need to mention the speaker brand as I'm sure you're well aware of the speakers I'm talking about. Ok good luck with whatever you decide.
rboster likes this.
post #6175 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I am definitely more reluctant to go ID. I had a terrible experience with eD, I came very close to buying an Empire sub, and then I looked into Reaction and PSA for my next speakers. While PSA seems safe, I won't lie, it made me nervous knowing that most of these types of companies are a one man band, and if something were to happen to that person (health, burnout, financial, etc) these companies usually go down hard and fast. It's one thing if you are spending a couple hundred dollars, but quite another when you are spending thousands.

I ended up buying some JBL speakers after really debating whether or not to go with an ID brand.. So yes, these types of failures have an impact to the ID community as a whole. I am still a fan of ID and am actually considering an SVS sub for my new house (non-theater room) but just as there are pros with the ID model there are some pretty big cons too.
I wouldn't buy anything from a brand new ID company, but the established players are really no risk (PSA, SVS, JTR, Seaton, Rythmik etc).

I preordered subs from PSA before they ever shipped one but since I had dealt with Tom V when he was with SVS I had no worries.
basshead81 likes this.
post #6176 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I wouldn't buy anything from a brand new ID company, but the established players are really no risk (PSA, SVS, JTR, Seaton, Rythmik etc).

I preordered subs from PSA before they ever shipped one but since I had dealt with Tom V when he was with SVS I had no worries.
I wouldn't say most of those ID companies you listed are no risk. Many of them are one-man-band type of companies and if something were to happen to the core member of the company they would likely go under very quickly. And believe me, I get it, there are so many pros to ID but stuff happens.
post #6177 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
I wouldn't say most of those ID companies you listed are no risk. Many of them are one-man-band type of companies and if something were to happen to the core member of the company they would likely go under very quickly. And believe me, I get it, there are so many pros to ID but stuff happens.
I get what you mean in cases of a death or something along those lines.

In that case SVS would probably be the safest since they are a larger company (but they also have the weakest lineup of subs IMO - have they introduced a new sub since Tom and Jim left?)

PSA would be safer also as they are not solely a one man show.

Not sure about the others. But barring a tragic death, any of those companies above are a safe bet. None of them do this as a hobby and all have been doing this for many years.
post #6178 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:

Quote:
To say any company in this day and age is "no risk" is rather naive. Pick your point of exposure. There are very few specialty companies, even long standing retail brands, that wouldn't be derailed significantly if they lost their founder/CEO. As you get into the big, faceless corporations like the many Harman/JBL brands, the massive conglomerates that own the likes of Martin Logan, Paradigm or Klipsch, Jamo, Energy, etc., you now have to worry that some bean counter might determine that a profitable company isn't profitable enough, and it would be more lucrative to close or sell it.

We just saw Kaleidescape have to cease operations while the re-organized and secured more funding. Like many other examples, their issues came from a perfect storm of a supplier leaving them hanging and delaying a new product development while their 4k store had high minimum charges to keep open and that new product was the key to bringing in more users to make the minimums less of an issue.

Let's also not overlook that I can look up probably a dozen or more Crown amplifiers which you can no longer get replacement parts for that aren't all that old. Smaller specialty companies tend to put a higher priority on being able to service legacy products in some manner where larger companies will determine it old enough to not bother with the expense and space. Be sure to ask how a company addresses out of warranty service.

Point being... You're comparing types of risk, not lack of risk. I agree there are certainly higher and lower risk options, although with many companies it's going to be hard for most consumers to determine what is a case of demand exceeding parts/production, or a situation of cash flow issues. History of how companies deal with gaps in production or when lead time do get pushed out and how they come out the other side is what you should be looking at.
rboster, chucky7, DrewB and 16 others like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #6179 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey Ray I was in the same boat with you my friend, I spent countless hours chatting with Tom and felt very confident with preordering the subs. Matter of fact I think you and I were the first to order back in August 2012 or earlier. Matter of fact I still have that photo you posted with the four XV15s in the back of your van that you picked up from Mineral Ridge.

How many very large companies today started as one man operations in their garages, basically a DIY company, past performance and customer satisfaction should be considered when purchasing ID regardless of the number of employees.........
post #6180 of 6445 Old 09-12-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked: 10747
Quote:
I get what you mean in cases of a death or something along those lines.

In that case SVS would probably be the safest since they are a larger company
PSA would be safer also as they are not solely a one man show.
That's true, and we try to minimize shared risks too. We don't fly together, we don't eat Taco Bell on the same day, things like that...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page