Reaction Audio Subs - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4224Likes

post #1621 of 6445 Old 01-01-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling you are going to miss the 14-30Hz output and slam your ported cabs provided. Having said that, i am strongly considering doing two 18" UXL-18's in 4 ft^3 sealed cabs. Are you happy with the drivers now that you have tested them in person, or is there anything else you would have considered in that price range(i.e. SI-HST18 or Sundown ZV4 18d2)
Are you going to power these with an inuke or something? From what I understand the ps18's are pretty close to DIY pricing unless you don't want the speakerpower amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 6445 Old 01-01-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 4152
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Are you going to power these with an inuke or something? From what I understand the ps18's are pretty close to DIY pricing unless you don't want the speakerpower amp.
If I can get the project off the ground, yes, an inuke 6000dsp, which I think will deliver 3100watts to each speaker.

Total cost will be around $1700 using very good drivers.

Factoring in the speaker power amp, the PS-18x master/slave combo that was/is on sale for $2999 was/is a pretty awesome deal imo. Out of my budget though. Really don't have extra funds available for home theater at this time.....in fact I have to sell my existing subs in order to go the DIY route. Perfectly happy with them until that time though. Only thing I may try to squeeze in soon will be surround speakers. Not having any at all is really a shame.
post #1623 of 6445 Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Quote:
If I can get the project off the ground, yes, an inuke 6000dsp, which I think will deliver 3100watts to each speaker.

Factoring in the speaker power amp, the PS-18x master/slave combo that was/is on sale for $2999 was/is a pretty awesome deal imo. Out of my budget though. Really don't have extra funds available for home theater at this time.....in fact I have to sell my existing subs in order to go the DIY route. Perfectly happy with them until that time though. Only thing I may try to squeeze in soon will be surround speakers. Not having any at all is really a shame.
There really isn't a consensus that it will deliver 3100 per speaker.
I've seen measurements that indicate it would be closer to 600 per channel continuous, and does not even come close to spec in burst (within it's stated parameters as using burst power to achieve the power rating).

That isn't to say that it won't be loud or effective. There's a lot of satisfied inuke users out there and I would not doubt their setups perform. Its a great value.

I have just gotten this question numerous times with people asking if they can just power the PS-18 with that amp. It simply would not perform on anywhere near the same level.
Many will look at the "6000" watts and think somehow the amp is somehow on par with an SP1 or a Lab gruupen or something upper tier. It is far from it.
countryWV likes this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 6445 Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 4152
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
There really isn't a consensus that it will deliver 3100 per speaker.
I've seen measurements that indicate it would be closer to 600 per channel continuous, and does not even come close to spec in burst (within it's stated parameters as using burst power to achieve the power rating).

That isn't to say that it won't be loud or effective. There's a lot of satisfied inuke users out there and I would not doubt their setups perform. Its a great value.

I have just gotten this question numerous times with people asking if they can just power the PS-18 with that amp. It simply would not perform on anywhere near the same level.
Many will look at the "6000" watts and think somehow the amp is somehow on par with an SP1 or a Lab gruupen or something upper tier. It is far from it.
Thanks for clarifying this Jeremy, I agree 100%. I don't feel like the inukes are in any way on par with the speakerpower amps. There are definite compromises in using them...bright lights, very loud fans(which can be replaced with quieter ones but then they don't cool enough under heavy load, etc). But I am glad you mentioned it though so people don't think it is an equivalent amp for a few hundred bucks.
post #1625 of 6445 Old 01-02-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying this Jeremy, I agree 100%. I don't feel like the inukes are in any way on par with the speakerpower amps. There are definite compromises in using them...bright lights, very loud fans(which can be replaced with quieter ones but then they don't cool enough under heavy load, etc). But I am glad you mentioned it though so people don't think it is an equivalent amp for a few hundred bucks.

That's basically where I was at bear, I had two iNuke 6000DSP's and even have a really nice Peavey IPR2-7500. I'd personally rather spend the extra money and go with a SpeakerPower amp. I just got tried of the loud fans and bright lights. I'd rather have real legit power and sure you can swap out the loud fans for quieter fans, but then your warranty just went right out the window. So why bother, new subs will both be powered by SpeakerPower SP1-4000 amps!
countryWV likes this.
post #1626 of 6445 Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Having said all that, you certainly can get a heck of a lot more amp for a few hundred dollars than what was previously possible at that budget.

I have also heard great things about the Marathon amps (the ones that look like QSC clones) but have not tried them. No DSP but looks to be like more pure raw power. Heavy.

I like our old Crest and Ashley amps we've always used for PA. Keep your eye on ebay as well.

Jeremy

post #1627 of 6445 Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

The inuke 6000 will do 1800-2100 watts 4ohms stereo. It has the same output as the IPR7500 but it can not do 2 ohm which the Peavy can. The peavy will probably last you a lot longer because it is not cheaply built. However, it is hard to beat the cost of the nu6000. Speakerpower trumps both of these amps and most others.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #1628 of 6445 Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
The inuke 6000 will do 1800-2100 watts 4ohms stereo. It has the same output as the IPR7500 but it can not do 2 ohm which the Peavy can. The peavy will probably last you a lot longer because it is not cheaply built. However, it is hard to beat the cost of the nu6000. Speakerpower trumps both of these amps and most others.
I would second the IPR over the Inuke.

Jeremy

post #1629 of 6445 Old 01-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Out of curiosity, how much did the dual opposed 18"s cost?
post #1630 of 6445 Old 01-07-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
Out of curiosity, how much did the dual opposed 18"s cost?
Priced similar to the Master/Slave.

Jeremy

post #1631 of 6445 Old 01-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Initial PV-15x review

Well I have been pretty excited buying all new speakers. The subs arrived and the cx-10s will arrive a little later this month.

Anyway I have had out of town trips every week since before thanksgiving and drove home from Atlanta to Pennsylvania last night and had a play with the subs tonight. I recent ill bought the wall and dark side immersion sets so mainly dark side DVD and a little guns and roses(2 songs)

Gain at 12:00 position and frequency all the way down and eq set two zero on both PV-15x's

Though the only time I ran to 0 DB I had the other speakers between +2 and +3 to even come close to keeping up I was amazed.

I turned the other five speakers off and with receiver at 0db and subs not even trying I went upstairs to hear and in my bedroom I realized I better run, not walk downstairs and turn down. A photo fell off the wall and I heard clothes hangars rattling and I was a little worried the drywall on the back wall could crack.
A little more on that-we have a 13 week old german shepherd puppy so subs on left and right of the tv with subs pointing at the wall and ports inward. So the puppy doesn't possibly chew on the covers.Really incredible lo bass on opposite end of theatre room but upstairs that entire end wall shakes. Anyway will move more towards the center of the room but for now just tested the initial placement.

I had high expectations and they were easily met without trying with these so far and I fully see them exceeding those expectations wildly.

If you order one of these, get someone to help move up/down stairs. Also do nice things for your wife every day. Will try to post more but have a lot of tuning to do. Anyway look forward to a little Tool time ( 10,000 days)tomorrow afternoon with no one else home.

Side note-my seven year old daughter watched 20 minutes of the wall clips on DVD only around -20 db but that was the best part!

Last edited by Withapict; 01-08-2015 at 05:53 PM.
post #1632 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Time to jump over here from the 'Reaction Audio Speaker Thread'...

I plan on going with Reaction Audio CX-10 right now, maybe the new speaker coming March. That being said I'm really struggling between two different subwoofer options. Please see my attachment for my room layout (Ceilings are 7')

Option A: Dual PS15x... I really like the idea of this for a couple reasons. It's less than a single PS18x. I've heard nothing but good things about dual setups. Having two negates the downfalls of the sub being sealed (correct?). And sealed would be better for music, which I am massively interested in.
Option B: PS18x... Probably a bit more headroom than Option A. Can get down real low. Option for a slave in the future. Negatives: $500+ more than dual 15s. Budget is supremely important at the moment. I will have to skimp somewhere else (ie receiver, front speakers, TV/Projector, furniture, etc).

I really like option B, but really not sure I can swing it at this point. Let me know what you think or if you have any further questions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Family Room.png
Views:	71
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	473673  
post #1633 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

I plan on going with Reaction Audio CX-10 right now, maybe the new speaker coming March. That being said I'm really struggling between two different subwoofer options. Please see my attachment for my room layout (Ceilings are 7')

Option A: Dual PS15x... I really like the idea of this for a couple reasons. It's less than a single PS18x. I've heard nothing but good things about dual setups. Having two negates the downfalls of the sub being sealed (correct?). And sealed would be better for music, which I am massively interested in.
Option B: PS18x... Probably a bit more headroom than Option A. Can get down real low. Option for a slave in the future. Negatives: $500+ more than dual 15s. Budget is supremely important at the moment. I will have to skimp somewhere else (ie receiver, front speakers, TV/Projector, furniture, etc).

I really like option B, but really not sure I can swing it at this point. Let me know what you think or if you have any further questions!
I'm going to give you an option C.

Dual subs are better than a single in that it helps even out unwanted peaks and dips in your frequency response. You MIGHT get lucky and end up a with a decent response with one sub (which I was able to pull off) but more than likely you'd need two. It also distributes that flat FR over a larger seating area, so if you have more than one seat (your MLP) to worry about it's beneficial, and provides an extra 3db (I believe) or so of output.

As far as being worried about music goes, there are those that insist that a sealed sub is better than a ported sub with respect to the "speed" of the driver. I for one believe that that is an antiquated notion, and today's modern ported subs sound every bit as "quick" as their sealed counterparts.

I've had a number of subs, but currently own the PV-15x. I can tell you that it's every bit as good for music as some of the sealed variants I've heard, but much better for movies. If I were you my third option would be C: Dual PV-15x subs. You will have the benefit of duals with respect to a smooth frequency response, they'll sound great for music, but for movies they'll really kill it - and you don't end up spending as much money over all.

That's my opinion anyways
Aarghon likes this.

Last edited by Sean Spamilton; 01-11-2015 at 08:06 PM.
post #1634 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 380
+tooPoor : I'm not sure about it, but I think it wouldn't negate the downfall of Sealed subs ( slightly less output and doesn't dig to the deepest octaves) but rather would even out your bass response, avoid nulls and maybe making it more simple to tune your room... I might be wrong too, but you'll assuredly get a response from the experts here.

What Sean Spamilton said =) But i wouldn't write good sealed subs off, because it depends on what you really want. I personnally sacrificed a little hz with dual sealed subs, but music was more important to me than digging a hole in the ground with low bass. Pretty sure I could indeed get 95% of the bass quality for music with a vented sub , but I prefer 100% =D

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 turbo subwoofers
Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player, Modded Rega RP1 turntable
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles

Last edited by Aarghon; 01-11-2015 at 07:16 PM.
post #1635 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Looks like you have something like 4000-5000 cu ft, and possibly open to other areas. I would venture a guess based on others with similar subs (PSA XS15se's) that the dual ps15's might leave you wanting more for movies. Lately I have watched at least two other forum members make huge upgrades after fighting with making those subs work in big areas like this, so I would recommend going big from the start.

If you like sealed and the ps18 is at all attainable, just save yourself the money and start there, with the option to get the slave down the road. You could also go with the dual pv15's as suggested, which would be second best imo. That would pretty much put you essentially where I am (dual PSA xv15se's in 5500-6000 cu ft), and while I love them dearly, I won't lie those ps18's are haunting my dreams.

Long story short, if I were in your spot and had the funds, I would pick the ps18 and never look back
jbrown15 likes this.
post #1636 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would agree that I think a good ported sub would work perfectly fine for music as a good sealed sub. Poor examples of both would equally sound bad for music too. The advantage of ported is the added output around the port tune which can be as much as 10dB compared to a similar sealed sub. Of course the advantage is usually only held at the port tune or slightly below it, once you go down below the port tune most of the time the sealed sub will have more output and by about 10hz above the port tune they'd have the same amount of output.

The advantage of the sealed of course is a much smaller footprint, you can also boost the output of the sealed in the low end to help give it some more output too. You can boost a ported sub of course just don't boost it below the port tune.

The one advantage of a sealed sub when you take that next step up to something like the PS18x is that you aren't bandwidth limited, you'll have great output from up high all the way down to 5hz if you're lucky enough to get some nice room gain.

I've had sealed dual opposed subs and then I've had some pretty ridiculous ported DIY subs, big enough to actually damage my house!....lol
And now I'm switching back to dual opposed sealed subs
post #1637 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 16
All great stuff guys. You made a strong point about ported. The footprint is somewhat concerning, not huge issue though. The biggest issue is: at their relative price points, a PS18x seems to be the way to go over the dual PS/PV-15x. 'For now' (such a temporary, non-committal statement) I'm going to hold out for the PS18x. That's what my gut says at least.
post #1638 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All great stuff guys. You made a strong point about ported. The footprint is somewhat concerning, not huge issue though. The biggest issue is: at their relative price points, a PS18x seems to be the way to go over the dual PS/PV-15x. 'For now' (such a temporary, non-committal statement) I'm going to hold out for the PS18x. That's what my gut says at least.
I don't think you could go wrong with that choice at all. For me a lot of it has to do with form factor too, I prefer the smaller footprint of a nice sealed sub.
post #1639 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Man, you guys are such enablers! OK with that rant out of the way, I got the tracking number for my PS18x that you guys sold me on =p

I guess this is what women do with purses and shoes lol

Should have it here by mid week

Last edited by Hound888; 01-11-2015 at 08:36 PM.
post #1640 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I think that's the best way for you as well. I think the pv15 would do wonderful in your space also of you decide to go that route, but sealed seems to suit you better (based on your 2-3 posts that is lol).

Out of curiosity, how loud do you typically listen to your system? Either in relation to reference level or measured using an spl meter?
post #1641 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound888 View Post
Man, you guys are such enablers! OK with that rant out of the way, I got the tracking number for my PS18x that you guys sold me on =p

Yes! Looking forward to some impressions on that bad boy! Particularly since you already had the pv15, will make for a somewhat reasonable comparison to what gains I might see
post #1642 of 6445 Old 01-11-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Quote:

Yes! Looking forward to some impressions on that bad boy! Particularly since you already had the pv15, will make for a somewhat reasonable comparison to what gains I might see
For sure! The PV was complete awesomeness but I'm really looking forward to hearing and feeling what this new beast is capable of.

I'll let you know once I figure out how to get the thing down to my basement once its here lol
post #1643 of 6445 Old 01-13-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Just peaked in to see if someone has posted with the new PS18x yet.

post #1644 of 6445 Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 PM

Mine is still on route. I'm hoping to have it here by Thursday
post #1645 of 6445 Old 01-13-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Did you get the Master and Slave combo?

post #1646 of 6445 Old 01-13-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post

I think forum member briang2408's PS18x master/slave combo is shipping out this week or next week if I'm not mistaken. I think Hound888 just bought a single PS18x for now, of course he could always add the passive slave unit after the fact
post #1647 of 6445 Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Quote:

I think forum member briang2408's PS18x master/slave combo is shipping out this week or next week if I'm not mistaken. I think Hound888 just bought a single PS18x for now, of course he could always add the passive slave unit after the fact
Yes, I just got the master for now. The PV15x performed extremely well in my space so I expect the PS18x will give me more extension and also output above 20Hz.

I do have the room for the slave but I think I will look at that down the road for sure.

Last edited by Hound888; 01-13-2015 at 06:45 PM.
post #1648 of 6445 Old 01-14-2015, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Hey yea Jeremy said my PS18x master/slave combo was being tested yesterday and the CX10s shouldn't be far behind. He's going to ship them at the same time so hopefully the 10s are close! I'll be sure to post some impressions of the subs and speakers.

Brian
post #1649 of 6445 Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I should be getting 3 CX-15 and 2 CX-8 next week. I haven't ordered Px-18 yet since I"m still deciding on it but if I do go for it then it will be master-slave to replace dual PSA XV-15.
I am still deciding if I should make the move. I'm hoping to get some help/ideas here. My room is 12x27x8. My current setup does produce loud enough bass after I run my subs 3-4db hotter from what Audyssey set. So if Audyssey sets sub trim to say -8, I feel the need to increase sub trim by 3-4db to get the desired loudness of bass. At this point, bass is loud enough and I also get the tactile motion (it that's the right term) through floor. But doing so, I end up sacrificing bass clarity.

Now is it my room or subs? I don't have any bass traps in my room (just the absorbing panels). I checked room ringing and I do have ringing above 450 ms around 20-40Hz.
So for all of you experts out there, is it my room that is taking the clarity away or I'm asking my subs to do more then what they can handle?
post #1650 of 6445 Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9326
Sounds like your room imo...the ringing is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page