Upgrading from a Dayton Audio Sub-1200? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This site keeps popping up as I have started to research subs (speakers in general, though I can't afford new speakers just yet). I decided to make an account and join this forum, which I have to say seems very knowledgeable and friendly.

I have had many subs over the years, but mostly in vehicles. In the house I have had the cheap little 50-100 watt subs from BestBuy made by Sony, Yamaha, etc. around the $100 mark. The best sub I have had on a budget is my current Dayton Audio Sub-1200. It's the same price as the aforementioned subwoofers, but outperforms them by miles! My home theater room flooded, so now everything has been moved upstairs to a bigger room (20' x 15'). The sub is still ample, but doesn't sound near as musical or as powerful. I have tried different placements and found what seems to be the best for overall sound during music and tv, but am ready to upgrade further.

What I have come to gather is I won't be getting subs that perform really well below the 30 hz mark unless I have a price tag around $500, but I still don't. I am looking to spend up to $300 currently. Would my best bet be to just purchase another SUB-1200 for the time being (probably to last me another 1-2 years)? When I can afford a much better sub I will be keeping these for another tv room, so I am not worried about resale value.

Tldr; $300~ for a new sub, 20'x15' room, half the listening is music, the other half split between gaming/tv/movies.

For reference I have BIC America FH-65B front speakers and Klipsch Quintet 5.0 for the rest of the system. I am planning to have all the same speakers as soon as I can afford it, I know I shouldn't have different tonality among the speakers (especially with my LCR front channels).

I have thought long about the F12 or PL200, but just can't seem to bite the bullet.

Thanks all for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatanzen View Post

I am looking to spend up to $300 currently. Would my best bet be to just purchase another SUB-1200 for the time being
Yes. Between the 6dB average increase in output capacity and the smoothing of room response the result will probably be way beyond your expectations. The number one deficiency of most systems with respect to subs isn't not having large enough subs, it's not having enough of them. One is very seldom adequate, no matter how large.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Yes. Between the 6dB average increase in output capacity and the smoothing of room response the result will probably be way beyond your expectations. The number one deficiency of most systems with respect to subs isn't not having large enough subs, it's not having enough of them. One is very seldom adequate, no matter how large.

Thank you for the response! That sounds logical, and I have plenty of space to add a second sub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 2819
+1 to adding a second SUB-1200. IMO, don't bother upgrading until you can at least afford a significantly better sub, such as an SVS PB-1000.

(Better yet, wait until you can afford a better sub and, not too long after that, a second one.)
ninjatanzen likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 109

I would go with the 2 sub route too.  There's not a 500$ sub that will fill a room that large, with low bass too.  If there was, people wouldn't be dropping 3 large for a speaker.  The dayton will only cost ya what, a bill twenty? That can hold you over till you really upgrade, and you'll still have a 2 sub setup that sounds halfway decent for a different room.

Sandman

post #6 of 9 Old 03-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
When adding a second sub, do they need to be in opposite parts of the room, both be in front on either side of tv, or do you just keep moving them around till they sound good? I have a room with similar dimensions to @ninjatanzen, maybe just a couple feet larger in each direction. I've been in the same boat as him about pulling trigger on a Bic sub. getting a couple sub-1000 or sub-1200s would be cheaper.

Be good or be good at it
post #7 of 9 Old 03-06-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppsDeacs View Post

When adding a second sub, do they need to be in opposite parts of the room, both be in front on either side of tv, or do you just keep moving them around till they sound good? I have a room with similar dimensions to @ninjatanzen, maybe just a couple feet larger in each direction. I've been in the same boat as him about pulling trigger on a Bic sub. getting a couple sub-1000 or sub-1200s would be cheaper.

Typically, a front corner and a rear corner are often good options for dual subs.  Spreading them out will smooth out your frequency response.  Hook up one of your subwoofers, and place it on your couch or chair where you sit.  Crank up some good bass heavy music.  Crawl around the room along walls, corners, next to your couch, behind it if set up that way.  You should notice some places that have a lot better bass than others.  Pick the two best spots and put your subs there.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Ok, thanks. They way my room is set up, where the tv is on one of the long walls, and main couch is set away from opposite long wall for traffic. I can't really do a back corner. Obviously both on main wall would be easiest and side walls would be next.

Be good or be good at it
post #9 of 9 Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppsDeacs View Post

Ok, thanks. They way my room is set up, where the tv is on one of the long walls, and main couch is set away from opposite long wall for traffic. I can't really do a back corner. Obviously both on main wall would be easiest and side walls would be next.

Sometimes nearfield works well, i.e between your couch and wall, beside the couch as an end table, or behind if room setup allow.  Our second sub is between couch and wall as we also have a walkway behind the couch with no rear corner available.  It works well there in our room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Bic America Fh 65b Bookshelf Speakers 350 Watt 6 5in 2 Way Each , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page