Help me decide on a subwoofer - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 03-05-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 4497

Great choice for your large room, congrats!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Great choice for your large room, congrats!

I noticed in your signature you are getting a PSA XS30?  I was grinding my teeth all day contemplating spending the extra $350 and getting it instead!  I think that it would have been an even better choice but I just didn't know considering the sealed design.  What do you think?  I can still cancel my order LOL!

post #63 of 67 Old 03-05-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 4497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

I noticed in your signature you are getting a PSA XS30?  I was grinding my teeth all day contemplating spending the extra $350 and getting it instead!  I think that it would have been an even better choice but I just didn't know considering the sealed design.  What do you think?  I can still cancel my order LOL!

Shoot Tom an e-mail. However, in my less expert opinion, the XV15 will be a better choice in your room for home theater.  The XS30 relies on room gain for strong output below 30Hz.  I think your room is too big, mine is 17x16.5x9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Shoot Tom an e-mail. However, in my less expert opinion, the XV15 will be a better choice in your room for home theater.  The XV30 relies on room gain for strong output below 30Hz.  I think your room is too big, mine is 17x16.5x9

Copy I think that makes sense too.  I bet it'll sound great though!  I'll stick with my XV15 (likely to upgrade room acoustics next like carpet and cloth curtains) and will contemplate getting a better AVR to drive the NHT's.  

post #65 of 67 Old 03-22-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I received my XV15 yesterday and had the later half of the day to audition it.  My initial impressions:

Out of the box the thing is huge, heavy and relatively attractive for a basic design.  I basically set it up exactly where my old Polk sub had been (which is a relatively poor choice in placement due to room acoustic characteristics... however, I'm limited in this regard for the time being).  

Keep in mind my room is approximately 4300 cubic feet and mostly tile, the sub as a consequence was placed on tile because my area rug doesn't extend anywhere near the wall.  I began with a Coldplay song which was relatively impressive as compared to my old Polk.  I had high hopes for the XV15 to "pressurize" the room, however, simply due to the size and placement (in relation to MLP) I had a rather underwhelmed feeling when I was listening to a few tracks.  I moved on to a electronica track and the XV15 began to move across the floor.  It was actually pretty comical.  

After I chased my new XV15 across my tile floor, I moved it directly into the center of my living space, onto the area rug, and auditioned it with a pop song, which was more impressive.  I decided to call it a day in regards to music, knowing that this subwoofer could do more than just shake the walls of my house, if I'd upgrade room acoustics.  

My GF and I decided to watch "Catching Fire" the latest Hunger Games title.  We had never seen it and thought it'd be a perfect night to audition both movie and subwoofer.  When people on this forum say that the XV15 shines during movies/home theater purposes, they are not exaggerating.  I was lift with an "overwhelming" feeling of wanting to watch another movie afterwards.  The XV15, even in it's poor placement and on tile, shined like the stars in the skies during this movie.  I was impressed, and therefore satisfied with my purchase.  

I'll continue to explore my options with placement; I pretty much have a desired location picked out, just need to wait on my custom area rug install (basically a huge piece of premium carpet, custom cut, with edges and thick padding) and a longer sub cable.  I'll be putting this right next to the couch that is considered my MLP (the XV15 will make a nice endtable).  

A few questions... I have NHT classic two's for my two mains and two surrounds, plus a NHT TwoC for my center.... what should I set crossover frequency to in the AVR speaker settings?  Also, the crossover frequency on the subwoofer needs to be the same as the setting in the AVR correct?

post #66 of 67 Old 03-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Set your speakers to "small" crossover 80hz on AVR.
On the XV15 crossover all the way up 150hz and phase at 0 gain around 2 o'clock.

Enjoy!
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #67 of 67 Old 03-22-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Set your speakers to "small" crossover 80hz on AVR.
On the XV15 crossover all the way up 150hz and phase at 0 gain around 2 o'clock.

Enjoy!

Right (red) or left input?  My longest input is a single connector (I have a 12 monster cable with the Y connector but it is 4 feet too short).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio Psw125 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Xv15 , Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page