• 4 Post By SmittyJS
  • 1 Post By AllenA07

post #1 of 19 Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

Not going to be able to buy a really nice sub up front - budget is $300 max.  I am setting up my first-time 5:1.  Large living room (20 x 26) with open plan kitchen and sunroom off of it.  Was forced to go with in-ceiling 18 deg in front, and regular ceiling in back (kitchen and sunroom both have 2 speakers, but will be on zone 2).  Picked up a Yamaha RX-V673 on Black Friday.

All that being said, I've found these subs that look decent - which one would be the best value?  Mainly used for movies, but some classical music...

Theater Solutions SUB12F   $160

Pyle Home PDSB12A    $160

Bic America Eviction Series RTR-EV1200   $210

Polk PSW505    $250

Bic America F12   $200

Polk PSW121     $200

Klipsch Sub-12HG     $300

Any others I've missed?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I've currently got the BIC F12, but if I were in your place I would sooner give a look at the BIC PL-200. You should be able to find it right around the $300 mark.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #3 of 19 Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 2917
Quote:
Not going to be able to buy a really nice sub up front - budget is $300 max. ... All that being said, I've found these subs that look decent - which one would be the best value?  Mainly used for movies, but some classical music ...
If you haven't already done so, check out this thread: List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)

Given the size of your room, IMO you should seriously consider saving up and getting at least one of either a Premier Acoustic PA-150 (when on sale for under $400) or an SVS PB-1000 ($499, shipped) at the barest minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-25-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3761 Post(s)
Liked: 12493

I agree with eljay, so ideally I would say get the SVS PB-1000 if at all possible and if not then the PA-150. But if neither of those are at all possible I would suggest either of the BIC subs or the Dayton sub-1200 and sub-1500 as possible options as well. 

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #5 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 104
post #6 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Don't waste your money, that's a huge room and expect a $200 sub to fill it? I'd be looking a PB or PC as a minimum.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 102
you should never be forced to do anything.wink.gif

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #8 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post

I've currently got the BIC F12, but if I wrote in your place I would sooner give a look at the BIC PL-200. You should be able to find it right around the $300 mark.

+1.

Once you go for speakers that are better than these, you are getting more clean bass extension that applies to fewer and fewer musical instruments and movies for your money. If all you play is music, you can probably get away with lesser subwoofers then them like these two, given that really good subwoofers improve everything.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
If all you play is music, you can probably get away with lesser subwoofers then them like these two,

Disagree with that, a poor quality subwoofer is most obvious with music. For home theatre you can get away with some leeway ..as long as it's not distorting, parping and bottoming out.
Dom Di Stroia likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Disagree with that, a poor quality subwoofer is most obvious with music. For home theatre you can get away with some leeway ..as long as it's not distorting, parping and bottoming out.
That depends on your definition of 'quality'. IMO a higher quality sub has flatter response, higher output capability and lower extension than a lower quality sub. Where flat response is concerned that's equally important, and the lack of it equally obvious, with music or HT use. In other words, a crappy sub will sound crappy no matter what you're listening to. Where higher output and lower extension are concerned the benefits of both are more evident with HT. So where the poster said ''If all you play is music, you can probably get away with lesser subwoofers'', from the standpoint of output capability and low frequency extension he is quite correct.
steve nn likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 AM

I know that, but for movies a bit of boominess isn't too bad. Play some music and the same amount of boominess would ruin the soundfield. it's not about max volume or the disortion.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

I know that, but for movies a bit of boominess isn't too bad..
It isn't too good either.rolleyes.gif
Don't confuse price with quality. A good sub has smooth uncolored response. You don't have to spend $500 or more to get that. Getting 115dB output at 20Hz, different story. cool.gif
post #13 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

I'm pretty new to all this!  So it sounds like 2 sub-1200's might be the best way to go initially?

post #14 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hay7777 View Post

I'm pretty new to all this!  So it sounds like 2 sub-1200's might be the best way to go initially?

This is a very passionate forum and members here take their subs very seriously, so you will be told not to waste your money.

But I will tell you that the Sub-1200 is not a one note wonder and it doesn't try to do what it can not do, but what it does do is very decent. It will not give you the lowest frequencies and it wont slam as hard as better subs. But it does do a very convincing job with HT and does very good with music, it doesn't just BOOM BOOM BOOM.

I've had a $1500 reference series Paradigm sub in the past, sorry I can not remember the exact model, so I know a good sub, no the Sub-1200 is not in its class but for what it does it is not embarrassed at all.

Just my 2 cents which probably is not worth that in this forum!tongue.gif

edit-- you will need 2 of them...
post #15 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by hay7777 View Post

Hi,

Not going to be able to buy a really nice sub up front - budget is $300 max.  I am setting up my first-time 5:1.  Large living room (20 x 26) with open plan kitchen and sunroom off of it.  Was forced to go with in-ceiling 18 deg in front, and regular ceiling in back (kitchen and sunroom both have 2 speakers, but will be on zone 2).  Picked up a Yamaha RX-V673 on Black Friday.

All that being said, I've found these subs that look decent - which one would be the best value?  Mainly used for movies, but some classical music...

Theater Solutions SUB12F   $160

Pyle Home PDSB12A    $160

Bic America Eviction Series RTR-EV1200   $210

Polk PSW505    $250

Bic America F12   $200

Polk PSW121     $200

Klipsch Sub-12HG     $300

Any others I've missed?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am really new to AVS forums and also very new to doing anything serious with my home audio.  Just like Hey7777 I too have come on this forum and asked similar questions explaining my budget constraints and just like him have asked for specific advice about some of the speakers that are in his budget and he has come here asking for advice.  Well a lot of the forum members here are either spoiled kids or adults that have no real responsibilities that have a real problem with listening to the question a poster has submitted.  You can always buy a better car, airplane, SPEAKERS if you have lots of money.  and like Hay7777 I got several replies that were not helpful at all with supplied links and everything and when I checked them out they were for 1000 dollar and up subwoofers and one guy even said to buy two of them.  There were a couple of Hey7777 replies that did directly answer his question that were helpful but the rest are a big waste of his time and the guys that responded as well.  So far my first week of being a forum member here has been a waste of time with respect to asking and receiving useful help.  Everyone would love to go out with out any restraints and buy anything that they wanted but that just is not the real world.  Our economies and high paying jobs are limited and a lot of us have other things that have to be done with our meager earnings and at the end of the day have very little left over for such luxuries as home speakers.  This does not mean that those of us who simply cannot afford the best do not want to purchase the very best out of all the products that do fall in our limited price range.  The hard cold facts are the vast majority have to simply make do with less (why do you think they still put speakers in HDTV's) so suggesting anything that is way above what has been stated as their upper limit of spending is simply inappropriate!  As I am new to this whole thing I unfortunately do not have any specific advice with respect to which subwoofer to buy, however I would suggest purchasing what ever you do decide on from Amazon or a company that will allow you to audition speakers and let you return them without any strings if they do not work out.  Make sure it is one sold by them not sold by a 3rd party and fulfilled by Amazon, it has been my experience over the years that it is very easy to return purchases to Amazon so buy say the PL 200 from them, audition it for a few days and then see if will suffice until you can afford to buy a much more expensive one if not return it and keep searching.

Gmash and Dom Di Stroia like this.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I understand what you mean by this Robert as I have seen it happen often here.  I can also say that some of the suggestions that are made on this forum are due to the OPs room size or expectations.  Some of the lesser subs simply won't have as big of an impact in a large room as some are expecting.

So here's the thing, this is an enthusiast forum.  You have to understand that the people who are responding have much higher expectations than the average user.  It's more of a miscommunication than a total disregard for people's budget.

I too have the desire to get the most out of my budget, and I don't have enough to get dual FV15HPs at the moment.  But if I expected to have chest slamming, ultra deep bass at reference levels on a $300 budget from my room that is 4000 cubic feet and asked if a PL-200 would do it, I'd expect to see suggestions for those out of budget FV15HPs if not more.

Also, members here have played this game for a long time.  They know all too well about buying a lesser sub and shortly after wanting to upgrade (a form of Upgradeitis).  This ends up costing more money in the long run so they may just be trying to help by recommending to save longer and spend more up front to be happy in the long run.

I get it though, sometimes people are faced with, "I have X amount of dollars, whats the best it can buy?" and want a response.  With this being the case here, OP, I'd go with a PL-200 and enjoy it.

I'm not sure about Amazon's restocking fees with some items though, so make sure to check that out if you go that route.

PSN: sick_ap2
XBL: Th3Chosen0ne
post #17 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert3353 View Post

Well a lot of the forum members here are either spoiled kids or adults that have no real responsibilities that have a real problem with listening to the question a poster has submitted.  You can always buy a better car, airplane, SPEAKERS if you have lots of money.  and like Hay7777 I got several replies that were not helpful at all with supplied links and everything and when I checked them out they were for 1000 dollar and up subwoofers and one guy even said to buy two of them. 

I was a former budget audiophile in the 80's and recently returned here to find out about newer speakers and subwoofers. People who hang out here are generally audiophiles and will give you an audiophile level of advice. They are not spoiled, they are just passionate about sound quality and weigh it higher than you (or I) might. They are also telling you about two subs because for a technical reason it improves sound quality. From that perspective, they are absolutely correct in their suggestions. These people are using their time to try to help you be happy - in the long run - with your choice. In other words, they're pointing out that for a little more money you could have a Camaro instead of a Chevy Sonic. They don't want you to go to a friend's house a year from now, listen to his SVS sub and say "compared to that my bass sounds like a whale farting." However, for whatever reason (not an audiophile, money, space, looks, whatever) you may be happy with a lower level of sound quality. And that is perfectly acceptable. Use their advice as a stepping stone to learn more about what will fit your needs. Ask specifically why they're suggesting those models and how you can get the closest performance within your price range. Learn to read a frequency response chart. Even if you don't take their advice, a quick search of the premises will usually get you the information you seek. In your case, the budget subwoofer threads.

What I would suggest when asking a question is not to list any subwoofers. Just list your parameters (budget (firm, if necessary), room size, whether aesthetics or size are important, level of sound quality you're looking to achieve (ex. rock the room explosions or just rock music), etc.). Some of these people are extremely well-informed and will tell you whether there's a match and what the best choices would be.

Ultimately, I did not take their advice either. I tend to heavily research my own purchases to the point of near obsession. But I did find good information here that was invaluable in my decision-making process.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3761 Post(s)
Liked: 12493

^ Very well stated smitty.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #19 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Russ View Post

Also, members here have played this game for a long time.  They know all too well about buying a lesser sub and shortly after wanting to upgrade (a form of Upgradeitis).  This ends up costing more money in the long run so they may just be trying to help by recommending to save longer and spend more up front to be happy in the long run.

Very key point here. A couple years ago I upgraded from a little 50w Sony sub (thing was beyond awful) to a BIC F12 because it was what I could afford at the time. Well in the last two years things have changed and I'm suddenly ready to upgrade again. Today I'm playing around with about $1000 for a new sub, much different place then 2 years ago when I had a maximum limit of about $250. I think an important question to ask yourself here is what are your long terms plans with this sub. If it is something you plan on running for the next decade, you might want to hold off, save up, and get something bigger (at around the $500 mark there is a lot of great stuff!). If it is something you plan on using as a stepping stone to bigger and better then by all means I think you're in a good place with any of the above suggestions.

As others have said, this site is for enthusiasts/hobbyists who have much more demanding standards then most people. To most people out there my setup would be jaw dropping, on this site it is average at best. Most important advice is remember it is your theater, design it anyway you want. I've always been a big advocate of starting small and upgrading over time, even if the total amount spent is higher.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Polk Audio Psw121 12 Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Premier Acoustic Pa 150 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Dayton Audio Sub 1500 15 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , New Black 500 Watt Surround Sound Hd Home Theater Powered Active 12 Subwoofer Sub12f , Bic 475 Watt Eviction Series Subwoofer Rtr Ev1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page