Upgrading single sub in a large family room. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for advice in a much needed subwoofer upgrade. I moved into a larger home last year and I'm finally getting to the HT. The room is about 14 x 30 x 8. The floor is Laminate with a large carpet. I currently have a Polk PS110 that no matter where I seem to place, cant come close to "filling" the room. The receiver is a Pioneer sc-61. The towers, center, and surrounds are Infinity 362's, 350, and 153's.My budget is $400-500. I am not sure whether I should add a single sub and use the Polk as a .2, sell the Polk and buy 2 identical subs for the 7.2, or sell the Polk and buy something that would fill the room as a .1. The room is large enough so subwoofer size isn't a concern. Time isn't a issue for any kind of special order. I was looking at the BIC PL-200 and after digging through past threads...have looked at dual BIC F12's, the SVS PB-1000, HSU VTF-1 MK2, and Outlaw LFM-1. Before I move any further, I figured I would ask the experts... If it matters, the tv is against the long wall and the couch is opposite. I am seriously thinking of moving the tv against the 14 ft for a longer theater room but I can save that question for another forum.Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Your room is 3,360 cu.ft. - you'll need more than a single $400-$500 sub to fill it. An SVS PB-1000 would be a good choice *if* you plan on eventually adding a second one.

IMO, and YMMV. smile.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I was afraid of that. I'm not apposed to adding a single now and another down the road if that's what it takes. Do the subs have to be the same size/power? Is it easier just to have two that are identical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Nearfield placement (placing the sub next to your primarly seating area) of a single may work for you, and save you the cost of a second sub.

You can go with different subs, but integrating them can be (considerably) more difficult than integrating idential subs.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 129
As eljay said it can be done with different subs. But remember the chain is only as strong as its weakest link so if you have 1 "good" sub and 1 crappy sub, if properly calibrated the crappy one will run out of steam way before the good one. And you probably won't be using the better 1 to its full potential anyway.

Do you want sub 20hz bass? OR are you ok with above 30hz and strong 40-80hz output? I ask because the PB-1000 has sub 20hz capability and it is very linear but it is not an output monster, BUT the PA-150 is an output monster in the midbass area and is within your price range.

The Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus is a very solid choice ( I have 2 of them ) BUT they are $620 shipped, unless you wait til they are on sale for $499 shipped which is what I did. And I would honestly scratch the BIC F12 and Hsu VTF1 off your list.

Shawn
post #6 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 544

I would sell the Polk and buy the SVS PB-1000.  If you can see your way to spending more, you can buy a higher model.  Or, if you can afford it in the future, buy a second PB-1000.

It is also good to keep things in perspective.  You are not going to get dance club bass from a single subwoofer in your price point.  Especially in a room your size.  You will likely want to try putting the subwoofer in a corner to maximize what you can get out of it, or, as has already been suggested, do near-field placement, if you are only going to be listening to it in one spot.

You might also want to read this:

http://www.audioholics.com/how-to-shop/500-subwoofer-roundup

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I've heard the PB-1000 in a 3,000 cuft and it gets the job done, but if you want serious bass, you'll need 2nd one or to go with a single sub like the PB-2000, HSU VTF3, or PSA XV15.

Projector: Epson Home Cinema 2100; Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080; Speakers: Monitor Audio Controlled Performance Inwalls and Inceilings; Subwoofer(s): SVS PC-2000; Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S6500; Remote: Simple Controls; Cables: Monoprice
post #8 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of good information. Thank you. I realize that at my current budget and my room size, this is a challenge. As I try to build a better HT experience...budget permitting...I realized that my sub is the weakest link. I'm not expecting teeth chattering base for under $500 in that room. After I have upgraded the sub and listened to the system for awhile, budget permitting...I will move on to the next piece. Whether its a second sub or upgrading the Infinity speakers. It looks like SVS has a discount for buying two subs at the same time. So I'll look into that as well. Jack D Ripper, thanks for the audioholics article.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
if you get 2 subs, they don't have to match exactly. But, as others have stated, you probably want them to have similar capabilities so one doesn't drag the other down. It's probably best if they are the same.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 05:01 PM

I love my svspb 13, I see your budget, but those guys at svs give excellent customer service and advice. they will tell you if thier subs will meet your parameters/needs. bedsides you have a free trial period too.
my room is large like yours too, they and the more experienced guys on this site really made the difference, although I am still tweeking. good luck!!
post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well I sent SVS an email. I described my entire scenario. While I was exploring there website yesterday, I noticed the pb12-nsd. It was on sale for 649, although now it seems that it's 699. Anyway...if the difference were to be huge, I could cheat my budget a little. I started thinking though...for another $100 the pb-2000 becomes an option. If I cheat my budget that much, other subs and other companies also become options. I'm sure every person on here has gone through the same thing. I'll just wait and see what SVS suggests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Outlaw Audio Lfm 1 Ex , Xv15 , Svs Pb2000 , Pioneer Elite Sc 61 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page