Aura transducers question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I was all set on getting a Clark TST209 but I was watching a review comparing it to the Aura and buttkicker.. Long story short I'm not too sure the Clark would be best for me..

My Sofa is a Ikea Ektorp, my plan with the Auras are to mount one under each seat cushion with a wood board lengthwise.. Because I have never felt these or any tranducers before I'm not sure if just a seat mounted Aura is enough?

I will be using a 100W amp

I plan on buying this weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-20-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone? Picked up the sofa today
post #3 of 32 Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Single or two shakers? having issues if i should do a 70W or 100W plate amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Since you have never felt the transducers before i think you would be satisfied no matter which direction you go. I have a couple aura's and a TST209 and i can definitely agree with all the online reviews that the TST209 shakes a lot more than the aura's. Are you trying to decide between 3 aura's or 1 TST209 for that couch? If it were me i would go with 1 TST209 but then everyone's different. :)

post #5 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well it was between the TST209 and the Aura.. But seeing as I don't have the space under the sofa for the TST209 I decided on the Aura I will just start with two of them and use the 100W amp
post #6 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 01:04 PM

Good choice. It also makes a big difference what sub you are using too. I used to use 2 aura's per couch with a puny 8in mirage sub and it made it feel A LOT more powerful than it was. I powered 4 auras with a dayton sa100 and it did just fine. I would suggest mounting them more towards the back under the couch rather than the middle. I have 2 couches, one of them they are mounted around the middle and the other couch they are mounted more towards the back and that couch for some reason shakes a lot more than the other. Maybe it's the couch or maybe it's because the wire length is shorter to the amp idk. Hope i helped a little.

post #7 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hard to really tell by the picture but I plan on upgrading from a 8" sub to a 12" only thing is you might be able to tell the living room area is kind of small so I don't know if a 12' is overkill.

looking forward to trying this out!
post #8 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 04:40 PM

No such thing as overkill when it comes to subs :) What sub are u getting? I have an outlaw in a 20x18ft room and it fills it just fine for my needs. Although in wish i had two to smooth out the response. But since your going to upgrade your sub AND get aura's, it should be a big improvement especially for movies!

post #9 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was thinking about getting a Dayton Audio SUB-1200 my budget for the sub is about $150

because my front is going to be a little tight I was thinking about putting the sub behind me in a corner? but if I do that means the sub is going to be like 8 ft or so away from the listener in which it might be a little distracting.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM

I would say sub placement is more important than distance from listening area since the avr can correct for distance. What speakers are u using? Are you going to be watching mostly movies?

post #11 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aundudel25 View Post

I would say sub placement is more important than distance from listening area since the avr can correct for distance. What speakers are u using? Are you going to be watching mostly movies?

It's a mix of movies a games.. I'd say 80% movies/shows and 20% games, and as far as speakers.. well now here is the issue, because of the size I have/want (110") it might pose a issue with tower speakers as when the projector is ceiling mounted the image is going to drop but it might not leave me with much room on the sides and the tower speakers might be too tall..

So I have been thinking about building a screen so the speakers can go behind the screen but being as I'm in a apartment I'm not sure that's allowed.. the other stuff is OK but the screen building part I'm a little unsure about.. If I do it that way then I would not have to worry so much..

OR I can get satellite speakers and mount them on a smaller stand but trying to keep them within the proper height to the listener.

I will know 100% when I mount the projector to it's final spot about what's going to happen with speaker placement.
post #12 of 32 Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Transducers can definitely help in an apartment so you don't disturb others. If your going to ceiling mount your projector you might as well go all the way and wall mount a screen :)

I would look at the diy section for building a screen. I remember reading that some people have had success using spandex as screen material. I have no experience building screens but even if i wanted to it can't fit in my room. I need an AT retractable screen which are pretty expensive.

Since your mostly movies/tv AND you have a sub with transducers i think you could save some money and go with bookshelf speakers for the front instead of towers and leave the lower freq for the sub.

post #13 of 32 Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I think the bookshelfs will still be best, now I assume solid wood will be best for the Aura?

And I heard you can use a receiver to power a shaker? I just want to test it out while I wait for the plate amp to arrive.
post #14 of 32 Old 02-23-2014, 10:11 PM

I actually have mine directly mounted to beams under the couch. Or you can mount them to a piece of wood which you then mount to the couch. Either way would probably be fine. There are 4 screws for each aura.

I guess testing them with a receiver can work. But probably not well since in the specs the usable freq response is 20-80Hz. I guess if you just wanted to try it out you could lower the crossover in the receiver to whatever speaker output you hooked them up to. I've always used the sub out of the receiver, connected to the plate amp, connected to the aura's and using the lpf in the plate amp. Let me know how they work hooked up to the receiver!

post #15 of 32 Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As hard as it will be I will just wait for the plate amp lol man I think Gravity might be my first movie I will try it out with.
post #16 of 32 Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the Aura might be delivered today so in that case I ordered the Dayton 100W amp from Amazon and used prime next day so it should be here tomorrow (Prime has been slacking in the two years I've used it)
post #17 of 32 Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Looking forward to what you think once it's all hooked up! Prime's been pretty good for me but maybe because it's a trial and they want me to pay :)

post #18 of 32 Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've had more late packaged at the start of this year then any other years combined.. but I see they just shipped the plate amp and my HDMI cable so I will yet you know what I think, I will order the 2nd Aura on Friday.
post #19 of 32 Old 02-27-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad they shipped it UPS I work at UPS so I left work with the package, nice looking amp going to build a box for it.. now just waiting for the Aura to arrive
post #20 of 32 Old 02-27-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm i could stick the Aura on the back part of the sofa but I have no full back access on my sofa I have to go under and behind and I'd have no real way of screwing the transducer on.. plus it's a type of MDF back..

Now the underside I would have to add wood and that might be a issue?
post #21 of 32 Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 PM

I've seen people attach them to the back of the couch and under the couch too. I don't know if it makes a difference as i only have them under the couch. You should do whatever is easiest. Your couch doesn't have beams that run under the couch either front to back or side to side? My couch has beams front to back and i just attached them to those.

post #22 of 32 Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the crossover set to 40Hz and the gain set to about 70% and it feels pretty good.
post #23 of 32 Old 02-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Wow you got that set up fast! Nice box, my plate amp is just sitting there, no box. Did you add that piece of wood you attached it to under the couch? Glad you like it so far and when you add the second aura i would play around with the crossover and gain again.

post #24 of 32 Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I added that wood it was left over from the box I made for the amp
post #25 of 32 Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM

How are your transducers?

post #26 of 32 Old 04-18-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just bought 4 Aura transducers for my Media Room. I'm upgrading front 3 speakers and most important I am getting 2 Rythmik FV15HP Subs for each front corner. I am adding one of these to each media chair. I have an extra Receiver, a 2007 Onkyo TR-705, is what I actually use NOW, but I ordered a Denon AVR-X4000 that will replace this.

I was told I can use the receiver to power 4 of these. Not sure how that works? I am going to have my Denon X4000 hooked up, how will the SECOND Onkyo TR-705 know when to send a signal to these things, IF I am using the Denon Receiver for all my speakers and subs?

Do I connect the Onkyo to my Denon? Just don't understand. I almost bought a Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier for $125 to power my soon to be delivered Auda Shakers. Does it Matter if you get a larger AMP? or is it a MOOT POINT? I mean these things are 50 Watts each, so I am not sure what the maximum amp would be to buy that would make these sing the BEST?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Any other Suggestions on what to buy? Is it better to get 2 of these per chair? 8 Total? Still cheaper than Butt Kickers, etc.

Here is my Room:

I just ordered 4 of these for $160. I just dropped an ubsurd amount of money on my HT Set Up. I like a bargain like the next guy, trust me. However, is it worth it to spend MORE and get the Clark TST209 ? The Butt Kickers are HUGE and cost like $260-$299:eek:

I read many reviews that said the Auda's are really good and do the job! My Rythmik FV15HP's are already going to kick some ass (I hope they will at least), but I hope these Auda's add a very good feel to the chairs. I am excited about these $40 little puppies.biggrin.gif

The guy above (sorry don't remember name as I type) said he had BOTH and the Clark TST209 were way better? Way Better meaning they hit Twice as Hard? Why were they way better? Would 2 Audas on each chair be of any benefit or not? I heard when you chain a bunch together the output goes down, and if you only use ONE, it hits harder than adding multiple units???
post #27 of 32 Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Guys, I am thinking of getting this amp:

Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

Will this work well with 4 of these Shakers, OR, is it overkill?

Also, if I got 8 shakers, 2 Per Chair, would this amp run them? or would I need to buy another?

Specs:[
/U]/B]

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Amplifier Type
Subwoofer Amplifiers

Power Output
156 watts RMS into 8 ohms @ 0.1% THD, 252 watts RMS into 4 ohms @ < 1.0% THD

Input Impedance
10.4K ohms

Signal-to-Noise Ratio
90 dB A-weighted

Phase Adjustment
0º (NOR) 180º (REV)

Low Pass Adjustment
40 Hz to 180 Hz

Bass Boost
Switchable, 6 dB @ 35 Hz
post #28 of 32 Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I've used that same amp for 4 Aura shakers,,,,I have two per chair. Under each chair one shaker is placed a little forward,
and the other directly beneath (and a little towards the back of the chair). This way you get a little shacking in the back and shoulder and butt area......biggrin.gif
The 250w amp will work for 4 shakers, but for 8 you are gonna need more. (and no, I'm not overdoing the shaking,,,but at times the amp gets hot).

My amp is hooked up to the shakers in a series/parallel fashion. You can google the wiring BTW. I forgot to mention these shakers I have are
hooked up to very nice theater chairs. And I haven't had a problem in 4 years.

Nice theater you have there!

My experience, IMO, 2 cents, and all that other stuff smile.gif

vardo
post #29 of 32 Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aundudel25 View Post

How are your transducers?
They are great! It really does add to movies and it's great because what you feel is great when living at a apartment.

I still need to order another.
post #30 of 32 Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

They are great! It really does add to movies and it's great because what you feel is great when living at a apartment.

I still need to order another.

Or maybe save up for a clark synthesis next? :D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page