Brand new Rythmic FV15HP not putting out much.. Need help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok fellas, I am an audio noob and know I am doing something wrong here. I just hooked up the new sub to replace my Klipsch SW350 8 inch last night and watched the new Hunger games. I could hear the bass and the much deeper extensions but it was so quiet and hardly noticeable that my wife laughed at me for replacing the little 8 inch with it. I used the YPAO mic to set it up with my RXV567 receiver (yamaha). On the sub I set the following: Limiter ON, Power AUTO, PEQ OFF, Gain 0, Bandwitdth 12 o'clock, Freq Max, I left the "non LFE" settings alone since I am using LFE inputs and not the line in. Rumble filter off with one port plugged. Ext Filter 14/Low..

I can wake it up by turning the volume knob on the back of the sub up to like the 3 o'clock position but I read that you shouldnt go past 12 oclock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
No matter what YPAO says, are your speakers set to small?
post #3 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
"Noon" is usually just the starting point for the gain control on the sub itself. Once you've run your AVR's auto-EQ program, you may need to raise or lower it depending on the level that's set in the AVR's speaker set-up menu, and then re-run the auto-EQ.

Then, once you're all done:
- make sure all your speakers are set to "small" (as pointed out by ratm); and
- boost the level of the subwoofer in the speaker set-up menu (NOT by using the gain control on the sub itself) by a few dB if/as desired.

(A lot of guys - including me - tend to run their subs "hot" by ~6dB or so).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I do have my RF82's set to small, but I did not turn up the AV sub settings at all.. I will do that and report back once the 17 month old wakes lol.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I went ahead and turned up the volume on the sub to 1 oclock and re-ran the YPAO and it set the subwoofer at a lower volume than before.. Now this is the thing my yamaha receiver doesnt use db with the speaker level adjustments.. its just a tick mark on a line of about 45 or so dots.. the subwoofer was set at around the 9th dot of 45.. so I played some music and the sub was weak again.. I turned it up to where I thought it sounded nice with noticeable bass and it is around the 39th dot of 45.. so I dont know what decibel level that is but it is almost max.. the funny thing is this is also where the YPAO sets my RF82's.. so now the sub and mains are all around the same level volume.. am I doing something wrong?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 3831

You might try doing the subwoofer crawl.  

post #7 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I am not familiar with this sub but, should the non- LFE be off? I never use the auto setting on any of my subs, I just leave them on.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmontana View Post

Ok I went ahead and turned up the volume on the sub to 1 oclock and re-ran the YPAO and it set the subwoofer at a lower volume than before.. Now this is the thing my yamaha receiver doesnt use db with the speaker level adjustments.. its just a tick mark on a line of about 45 or so dots.. the subwoofer was set at around the 9th dot of 45.. so I played some music and the sub was weak again.. I turned it up to where I thought it sounded nice with noticeable bass and it is around the 39th dot of 45.. so I dont know what decibel level that is but it is almost max.. the funny thing is this is also where the YPAO sets my RF82's.. so now the sub and mains are all around the same level volume.. am I doing something wrong?

Set the volume knob to noon. Then run YPAO. Any adjustments on the amp will be negated after you run room correction. It will just adjust the level lower at the AVR.

I do not use YPAO, but I would let it run the correction then you adjust at the AVR to your preference. My denon adjusted my FV15hp to -9 dB. It blends well, but I bumped it up to -5.5 due to personal preference. It still blends but it hits hard.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmontana View Post

Trim levels in AVR are all in relative terms. Get hold of an SPL meter and check with that. Also, change the sub location. Unless your sub is optimally placed, any auto eq routine is useless. Your sub may be lying in a room null relative to your MLP or viz a viz. If you don't have REW, do the sub crawl.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

Main System: PSB X2T, PSB XC, PSB XB, Cambridge Audio Azur 751R, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S500
post #10 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I will sub crawl and SPL meter... Hopefully that will help.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

OK now we are in business.. the Spl meter is on order.. I crawled and found a good spot up front near the mains.. I now am able to have good bass at only 50 percent level in the avr setting.. The wife is not laughing anymore. She was upstairs when I gave it a test run.. said all the pictures were rattling..
derrickdj1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 350 8 Inch 350 Watt Subwoofer Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page