Should I replace my current Onkyo sub? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eljaycanuck

post #1 of 17 Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Should I replace my current Onkyo sub?

I have a Onkyo Sub from days old (part of HTIB that I had gotten 10 years ago).

I am still using the Fronts/Center speakers from it for my new surround sound system. Since I can't afford to replace the speakers, I figured I can make a change to my sub. I have heard that a sub can make a big difference.

My mix is 50/50 for music/movies.

Here are the details of the current sub:

SKW-200 Subwoofer:
  • Powered subwoofer
  • Power Output - 150 Watts
  • Bass Reflex Powered Woofer - 8 Long Throw
  • 27 Hz-150 kHz
  • The subwoofer features an 8" cone woofer in a bass reflex enclosure.

My room is an open living room with dining area and kitchen all there. (9' foot ceiling / 15.5' width / 13' length but just the living room) And due to SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor), I have to keep the sub next to my sofa rather than near fronts.

Will changing my sub to something like Bic F12 or Polk Audio PSW505 or something in the sub-$300 price range make a big difference? Plus I would need a magnetically shielding sub due to my 12TB server being close to the sub.

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
According to the owner's manual (PDF):
- the power rating is dynamic, so an RMS rating would likely be (well?) below 100W; and
- the frequency response has no variance, so extension is most likely ~35Hz or higher +/-3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildviper
Will changing my sub to something like Bic F12 or Polk Audio PSW505 or something in the sub-$300 price range make a big difference?
Most definitely yes. Even something like the Dayton Audio SUB-1200 from parts-express.com (~$145, shipped) would be a noticeable step up.
dsrussell likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm..cool..thanx.

That Dayton looks good but then it has this CA Prop 65 warning...why did they have to put that there! Dammit. Have a pregnant wife at home! :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
^^ I suspect if your wife doesn't eat the subwoofer, she'll be fine and dandy. Hey, you're from Riverside so you should know the silly things California lawmakers do. There is a similar sticker on every car being sold in this crazy state.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^^ I suspect if your wife doesn't eat the subwoofer, she'll be fine and dandy. Hey, you're from Riverside so you should know the silly things California lawmakers do. There is a similar sticker on every car being sold in this crazy state.
That 65 sticker is on a lot of crap. Crap info as a result which is probably not the original intent but then when you put lawyers in charge of anything....
post #6 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Well I read up on why PartsExpress lists that...they say it is easier to do that and be in compliance than to actually test their chemical levels. Makes sense.

As for the sub...I was looking at the 10" version. Would that still be an upgrade from where I am currently? 12" one looks too big for where I have to place.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Yeah - and don't forget to remind her to wash her hands if she ever touches headphone wires. (Haven't read the warnings that come with them? They contain lead! )
post #8 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildviper View Post
Well I read up on why PartsExpress lists that...they say it is easier to do that and be in compliance than to actually test their chemical levels. Makes sense.

As for the sub...I was looking at the 10" version. Would that still be an upgrade from where I am currently? 12" one looks too big for where I have to place.
BIC makes good subwoofers at very reasonable prices. The price/performance leader, however, has to go to Dayton.

I doubt many people have heard the subwoofer you own, and we're only going on the not-so-detailed specs, but it doesn't seem to be a solid performer (and since you're looking to replace it, I guess you agree). That being said, I've read good things about the 12-inch Dayton, such as this professional review: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

I've also read good things about the 8-inch Dayton, such as this professional review: http://www.cnet.com/news/dayton-audi...800-subwoofer/ I haven't read any professional reviews on the 10-inch Dayton, but there is an amateur review here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/write-your-own-review/7977-$100-dayton-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer-review.html

Your choice. Only you know if the 12-inch will fit or not (fit???), but I'd advise you to get the biggest possible sub for your large, open area.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 53
+1 to change to BIC or Dayton.

Or get a used Rythmik LV12R
post #10 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I went to BestBuy and brought home the Klipsch SW-450 to test out. Going to return it since it is a tad bit bigger for where I want to place it. I have a table that it has to fit under.

I know one thing...my old sub is not good compared to this.

Yet I feel some lacking...not sure if it is my speakers or the new sub. When I play some movies, I feel like there is some sound that I am not hearing at all. For Example, Transformers Dark Moon at 1:50:00 mark...the fight scene is great and the sound doesn't seem to match that. Yet, on Matrix, the scene where they go through the hall way with all guns blazing seems full of sound.

I have used an SPL (on ipad) meter and balanced my speakers to 75db with the sub at 78db.

Would the Bic F12/Dayton be better than the SW-450?
post #11 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ I doubt it. This Klipsch sub looks pretty good and has good reviews. But then again, you could buy 3 or 4 Daytons for the price of the Klipsch, so it really isn't a fair comparison. If you're looking to spend about $500, that puts you into SVS and Reaction Audio territory and not that far away from a Rythmik. Different ballgame entirely.

Perhaps part of the problem was sub placement. Since you have it at home check out different locations to see if the sound improves (a sub-crawl is what most people use).
post #12 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

haha..no my budget is not over $300...rather $300 and less. I just brought this home to test and convince my wife that I really do need a new sub! :P

Btw...as for sub-crawl...how in the world folks do this....you need a long long RCA cable.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
haha..no my budget is not over $300...rather $300 and less. I just brought this home to test and convince my wife that I really do need a new sub! :P

Btw...as for sub-crawl...how in the world folks do this....you need a long long RCA cable.
Your seating position is that far away from the avr? Or can't move the avr closer? On a sub crawl it's you that moves around, the sub stays in your primary listening position....
post #14 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The sub crawl. You place the subwoofer on top of your couch (your listening position) and you play test tones or some music with good sustained bass notes and you crawl around the room marking the locations that it sounds the best. There will be areas where you may not hear any bass (nulls), other areas where the bass will be reduced (dips) other areas where it sounds muddy or boomy (peaks). Hopefully, you'll find a couple of spots where it sounds really good. That's where you place your sub. It's also a good idea to have a dB meter with you during the sub-crawl test.

Often, the best place for a sub will look silly or out of place. That's where two subwoofers come into play. Depending where you place them, they can help smooth out those nulls, dips and peaks at your listening position (but won't eliminate them entirely). Fortunately, the Dayton is priced where multiple subs can be had under your budget.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

well smack me silly....I kept thinking of moving the sub around. D'oh!

I will try this out. Hopefully it will work in one of two locations that i can put the sub. Wife won't exactly be happy if it is in the middle of the room. :P
post #16 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^^ I suspect if your wife doesn't eat the subwoofer, she'll be fine and dandy.
No you didn't LOL.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
well smack me silly....I kept thinking of moving the sub around. D'oh!

I will try this out. Hopefully it will work in one of two locations that i can put the sub. Wife won't exactly be happy if it is in the middle of the room. :P
Let us know the results. I had four places that I could place my sub. The location that gave me the best sound results was several feet in front of the bay windows at the right side of the room, which would look totally out of place. Luckily, the next best location was to the right of my mains. The other two spots (which I initially preferred) were both null areas (or near null). It's just the way it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page