Official Funk Audio Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 995Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 1070 Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Funk Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Halfmoon Bay BC, Canada
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by newAVphile View Post
If those are dual 18.0's, then I think they might be mine. Nathan said he just got done venering mine. Either way, it's impressive to watch him build these subwoofers.
Yes the video is showing one of your cabinets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux View Post
Have you heard the E112? Databass measurements between it and the 18.0C are pretty close. Funk cabinets are very nice though.. and no, size dosent matter lol.
As jbrown15 mentioned the new 18.0C is a fair bit different from the old one. The New 18.0C will actually have lower distortion at its limits than the 18.0 does at its limits, as the drivers are quite similar. Basically if you take 2-3db off the peak outputs you will have what the 18.0C can do, but the distortion will be a little lower. For compression and distortion sweep measurements simply draw a line between the highest sweep for the 18.0 and the one down and you will have roughly what the new 18.0C does, which is a good step up from the old one.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Funk Audio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 1070 Old 11-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Member
 
newAVphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post
Yes the video is showing one of your cabinets.
So awesome!!! Thank you!

My work in progress: Sony KDL65w850a, Oppo 105D Darbee edition, Marantz 7702, Marantz 8077, W4S mAMPs, W4S DAC1-LE, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Dual Funk Audio 18.0, Sonos, ML center and surround speakers, cheap Onkyo Atmos speakers for now, decent cables (Cardas, Pangea, Bluejeans), APC H15 power conditioner, Logitech Harmony Ultimate (for the wife obviously), Roku, minimal GIK acoustic panels...
newAVphile is offline  
post #63 of 1070 Old 11-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Here are my impressions of the 18.0C and I will try to keep it as short as possible.

When the subs arrived each box weighed 94lbs. Inside the boxes, each sub was packed nicely with plywood, foam, plus plastic wrap. I spent no time tearing through the layers of wrap and foam to see the subs. Also, wrapped nicely in plastic wrap and foam was 10 feet of power cables and RCA to XLR adapters.

Visually, the subs look amazing. The subs were finished in black, it has a nice shine to it, rounded edges and has a sleek curved design. The 1000 watts amp on the back supports 2 XLR inputs, has an Ethernet and USB port to access the ALLDSP software.

My theater area is 12.3W x 15.6L x 7.8H, which opens up into a kitchen, & rec room. The dual 18.0C subs were placed near the front wall, and 2feet 4inches from the corners.

Before I could listen to the subs, I discovered I had a ground loop problem which was producing a loud hum when the subwoofers were plugged in and connected. With Nathan’s help, he advised me to purchase an isolation transformer for the TV cable feed to correct that issue. I ordered an isolation transformer for the TV cable, but In the mean time I disconnected the cable TV to test the subs.

Without applying Audyssey, proper volume level or using the subwoofers DSP, I listened to the subwoofer as is with random music/movies, and I found the dual 18.0C a tad boomy, but that’s expected without any room correction settings, proper volume and DSP settings applied. I then installed the ALLDSP software on my Macbook and connected to the subwoofers. I will tell you right now, that I found the DSP software daunting when I looked at it, and I am glad Nathan helped right through the DSP setup process. A proper DSP setup is very important to get the most of out these subwoofers and I would contact Nathan to help with the setup. I ended up using the No EQ profile, and since I sent Nathan my raw REW file, he advised me what to apply to the ALLDSP software PEQ settings. The setup was followed by Audyssey on my Onkyo 818 receiver and the crossover was set at 80Hz on all channels.

After the setup, I listened to a lot random music, movies and TV shows, that I am familiar with such as the The Menahan Street Band, The Wolverine, The 100, and a lot more. I focused on the upper bass range, then focused and lower bass range only. The boominess that I heard previously before any setup had completely vanished. Music and movies sounded tight, clean, went deep and blended seamlessly with my front speakers while never calling attention to itself. These subs just immersed me with quality bass, and at times while watching movies, it felt like I was a participant. It was that good.
The 18.0C’s are indeed excellent, which has a lot of punch, slam that will shake and rattle everything with ease with movies and music.

I did run into one slight problem with 1 sub, and that it produced a faint buzz noise which was audible when within 2 feet of the sub. It was not related to ground loop. Nathan advised me that he can swap out the amp on that one sub no problem.

I just want to mention that Nathan provides top notch customer service, so you don’t have to worry about anything as Nathan will take care of you. Nathan even took the time to help me during the night…I am beginning to think that Nathan is a cybernetic organism model T1000. Thanks again for all the help Nathan

The 18.0C is high a quality sub that will produce a high quality sound, and the built in DSP will help you get an even response in the room. I am very pleased with the sound these beasts produce. Also, the amps never get hot, and the subs do play very loud.

When I have time, I will post more pictures and my REW results.

-------------------
Update:

Here is a pic and my REW results.
I believe I am having phase issues below 13hz, because when I change the phase, the response changes dramatically from what you see here at the tail end. Also, when I have time, I will try different PEQ settings to further smooth out the response.




Last edited by BIGBEAR2004; 11-07-2014 at 05:54 PM.
BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 1070 Old 11-07-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,694
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
^^^Congrats

That's good to hear!
audiofan1 is offline  
post #65 of 1070 Old 11-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
^^^Congrats

That's good to hear!
The DXD12012 and 18.0C play nice together. My vision even blurs while playing bass at loud levels xD.
audiofan1 likes this.

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #66 of 1070 Old 11-07-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
The DXD12012 and 18.0C play nice together. My vision even blurs while playing bass at loud levels xD.
Welcome to the Funk Audio Club
Glad you are enjoying that sub! Excellent review
Definitely enjoyed reading it

How do those sound without the DXD?

Btw my review of the 18.2 is in the below giant thread... I won't be posting it here since it's freakin enormous...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...topics/1748930

I think you will enjoy this one

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #67 of 1070 Old 11-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead2k View Post
Welcome to the Funk Audio Club
Glad you are enjoying that sub! Excellent review
Definitely enjoyed reading it

How do those sound without the DXD?

Btw my review of the 18.2 is in the below giant thread... I won't be posting it here since it's freakin enormous...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...topics/1748930

I think you will enjoy this one

Thanks!
The 18.0C sounds great without the DXD12012. In fact, I never included the DXD12012 in my mini review. Adding the DXD12012 just added an additional boost on the low end, but it does have to work a little harder to keep up at the same levels as the 18.0C.
I will check your review now

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #68 of 1070 Old 11-18-2014, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
Thanks!
The 18.0C sounds great without the DXD12012. In fact, I never included the DXD12012 in my mini review. Adding the DXD12012 just added an additional boost on the low end, but it does have to work a little harder to keep up at the same levels as the 18.0C.
I will check your review now
Would love to see a video of your setup! If that's not asking too much

That is... If your still alive

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #69 of 1070 Old 11-18-2014, 02:50 AM
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead2k View Post
Would love to see a video of your setup! If that's not asking too much

That is... If your still alive
I can take more pics, but my iphone has limited space for video.
Also, my AVR is out for repairs and should be back sometime this week or next week.

Lets see a video footage of your setup

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #70 of 1070 Old 11-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Over at Audioholics.com they posted an article labled The Best Subwoofer in the World?, and they nominated the Funk 18.2 as the best sealed subwoofer. Will Nathan dethorne the 18.2 with the Funk 21.2? Only time will tell.

Quote:
Best Sealed Subwoofer: Funk Audio 18.2
MSRP: $9,460 - $12,100 | More Info
Dual long-throw 18” drivers? Check. 4.8kW on tap with an optional upgrade to 9.6kW of amplification? Yes, please. Add in a beautifully crafted cabinet, and you’ve got yourself the Funk Audio 18.2. Just what is this beast capable of? How does 130+dB at 2 meters, ground plane sound? To put that in perspective, the 18.2 can rival the commercial horn loaded subwoofers used in your local Cineplex in terms of raw output. That’s not too shabby from a subwoofer that measures 21”W x 22”H x 24”D. As you might expect, this level of hardware and performance doesn’t come cheap. The base 18.2 will run you a whopping $9,460, with the “Level 2” amplification upgrade bumping the price up to $12,100. Still, if we ever hit the lottery…


Last edited by BIGBEAR2004; 11-20-2014 at 08:50 AM.
BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #71 of 1070 Old 11-20-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
I can take more pics, but my iphone has limited space for video.
Also, my AVR is out for repairs and should be back sometime this week or next week.

Lets see a video footage of your setup
Check out my last line array video
I could make a better one for you.

A 21.2 would be interesting.
You should ask Nathan for a pair.

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #72 of 1070 Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 PM
Member
 
Dustcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd rather see a 15.2. I hope there is a realistic chance for such a release in the near future, a TSAD15 driver has already been built for a custom project. The lack of 15inch subs in Funk's lineup seems to be pretty obvious.
Dustcap is offline  
post #73 of 1070 Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,440
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcap View Post
I'd rather see a 15.2. I hope there is a realistic chance for such a release in the near future, a TSAD15 driver has already been built for a custom project. The lack of 15inch subs in Funk's lineup seems to be pretty obvious.

I would imagine that has something to do with Funk trying to tailor to the higher end market, and their 18.0 sub is already rather compact. So really what would the point of offering a 15" sub?
jbrown15 is offline  
post #74 of 1070 Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead2k View Post
Check out my last line array video
I could make a better one for you.

A 21.2 would be interesting.
You should ask Nathan for a pair.
If I won the lotto I, probably would order a pair of 21.2 with custom theater speakers.

I wouldn't mind seeing a video focused on your subwoofer

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #75 of 1070 Old 11-21-2014, 05:08 AM
Member
 
Dustcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I would imagine that has something to do with Funk trying to tailor to the higher end market, and their 18.0 sub is already rather compact. So really what would the point of offering a 15" sub?

The point would be an even smaller footprint, much more affordable pricing then the 18.2, higher WAF with similar output compared to an 18.0, and access to new groups of buyers for Funk. Not everybody needs 18- or 21-inch subs. I would prefer buying smaller subs, but 2 or more of it.
Dustcap is offline  
post #76 of 1070 Old 11-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Member
 
ALCOMData's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Jersey, about 20 minutes from Center City Philadelphia
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to ALCOMData
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
Over at Audioholics.com they posted an article labled The Best Subwoofer in the World?, and they nominated the Funk 18.2 as the best sealed subwoofer. Will Nathan dethorne the 18.2 with the Funk 21.2? Only time will tell.
Does anyone know how much either the Power Level 1 or Power Level 2 version of the 18.2 weighs? I can't find it in the specs (which may be because I'm waiting for my new specs!)

The easiest (and usually cheapest) way to improve the sound of your system is to put on a better recording.

Last edited by ALCOMData; 11-23-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Correct typo: "can" should have been "can't"
ALCOMData is offline  
post #77 of 1070 Old 11-21-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
henrich3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcap View Post
I'd rather see a 15.2. I hope there is a realistic chance for such a release in the near future, a TSAD15 driver has already been built for a custom project. The lack of 15inch subs in Funk's lineup seems to be pretty obvious.
Funk Audio can build whatever you like. Just because you don't see a 15 incher in their standard lineup doesn't mean that you can't get one. They built this dual LMS-R 15" in Java Bamboo for me a few years back:


The performance and appearance were both top-notch, but I ended up selling it to a friend to make room for my quad TSAD bad boy...
henrich3 is offline  
post #78 of 1070 Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,440
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcap View Post
The point would be an even smaller footprint, much more affordable pricing then the 18.2, higher WAF with similar output compared to an 18.0, and access to new groups of buyers for Funk. Not everybody needs 18- or 21-inch subs. I would prefer buying smaller subs, but 2 or more of it.
Like henrich said Nathan will build you what ever you want, but I would suspect the reason he doesn't show it as a regular product because he hardly gets asked about them. Doesn't make sense to have something as a regular product item if he only sells one from every dozen 18" subs that he sells.
Funk Audio likes this.

Last edited by jbrown15; 11-21-2014 at 09:16 AM.
jbrown15 is offline  
post #79 of 1070 Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Funk Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Halfmoon Bay BC, Canada
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 297
The 18.2 itself is about 165lbs(180 shipped) Power level one comes with one amp and power level two comes with two. The amps are about 25lbs each.

We can and have done a 15.2 on custom order basis, just have not loaded any pictures of one on the custom page yet. The problem is a 15" version of the TSADv1 actually costs slightly more than the 18" as to fit our design needs the basket needs much more extensive modification than the 18" basket. But you are right it works well in a very small box, with the 2400 watt amp a 15.0 can be 16" high 16" wide 13" deep with curved sides. A 15.2 could be aprox 18" cube. FYI we have some parts for 15's that we have on special right now.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Funk Audio is offline  
post #80 of 1070 Old 11-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Member
 
Dustcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi Nathan,

thanks a lot for your answer, I appreciate that. I have to mention this is a project for 2015, as I'm planning to move to a new house with a bigger listening room then my present. In the course of doing that I want to upgrade my 2-ch system with subs and leave open the possibility to expand it to a proper home cinema in the future. Therefore I want one or two sealed subs capable of showing excellent sound quality and virtually unlimited headroom in a mid-size room with everything I throw at them, no matter if it is music or bass heavy LFE-content. I don't necessarily need the output a 18.2 provides, and apart from that costs for this behemoth exceed my financial possibilities. My absolute priority is sound quality. The sub I want should be able to shake the room at 30 Hz and even lower as well as pounding my chest with stunning mid bass slam. So even the small footprint of the 15.2 doesn't matter too much for me, I would choose even bigger cabinets if it brings me closer to the above-mentioned goals.

Just some questions: Besides sheer output, are there any differences in sound quality between your TSAD 18 and TSAD 15 drivers? What about THD and impulse response, does one of both have any advantages over the other?

Could you roughly estimate the price of a 15.2? Would there be any cost advantage when ordering two?
Dustcap is offline  
post #81 of 1070 Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Funk Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Halfmoon Bay BC, Canada
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcap View Post
Hi Nathan,

thanks a lot for your answer, I appreciate that. I have to mention this is a project for 2015, as I'm planning to move to a new house with a bigger listening room then my present. In the course of doing that I want to upgrade my 2-ch system with subs and leave open the possibility to expand it to a proper home cinema in the future. Therefore I want one or two sealed subs capable of showing excellent sound quality and virtually unlimited headroom in a mid-size room with everything I throw at them, no matter if it is music or bass heavy LFE-content. I don't necessarily need the output a 18.2 provides, and apart from that costs for this behemoth exceed my financial possibilities. My absolute priority is sound quality. The sub I want should be able to shake the room at 30 Hz and even lower as well as pounding my chest with stunning mid bass slam. So even the small footprint of the 15.2 doesn't matter too much for me, I would choose even bigger cabinets if it brings me closer to the above-mentioned goals.

Just some questions: Besides sheer output, are there any differences in sound quality between your TSAD 18 and TSAD 15 drivers? What about THD and impulse response, does one of both have any advantages over the other?

Could you roughly estimate the price of a 15.2? Would there be any cost advantage when ordering two?
By the sounds of it the best solution for you would be the 21.0. In almost every aspect it is between the 18.0 and 18.2. So far I like the 18.2 best for sound quality, but the 21.0 is very close. The 15 offers a little better sound than the 18.0, but its not quite as good as the 21.0. A 15.2 based on our sale discount would be a little less than a 21.0, normally it would be more, and overall output would be similar. With the current sale price we could not do any better on multiples, but normally we could do some discount on a pair, final price would depend on finish and amplifier choice.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Funk Audio is offline  
post #82 of 1070 Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Updated Post 2:

Funk Audio's Sale list has been updated

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #83 of 1070 Old 11-23-2014, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Seems like Nathan got a new Video!
Anyways here it is on Youtube, Enjoy!


Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #84 of 1070 Old 11-23-2014, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Nathan's new video is in the "The Official Funk Audio thread" in the Speaker Section!

Link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post29268617

Think you guys might want to take a look

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #85 of 1070 Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 AM
Member
 
Dustcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post
By the sounds of it the best solution for you would be the 21.0. In almost every aspect it is between the 18.0 and 18.2. So far I like the 18.2 best for sound quality, but the 21.0 is very close. The 15 offers a little better sound than the 18.0, but its not quite as good as the 21.0. A 15.2 based on our sale discount would be a little less than a 21.0, normally it would be more, and overall output would be similar. With the current sale price we could not do any better on multiples, but normally we could do some discount on a pair, final price would depend on finish and amplifier choice.


Interesting thought, I didn't consider the 21.0 as an option for me so far. I'm not an expert but quite interested in technical aspects, so here are some questions:

Can you name any measurable reasons for the better sound of the 21.0 over the 15.0 and the 18.0? Or is this just your listening impression?

21-inch drivers are said to have potential disadvantages in impulse response compared to 15-inch drivers because of their higer moving mass and power requirements. I know this is no irrefutable law and the result depends on how the particular construction is carried out, but can you tell a bit of how the 15.0, 18.0 and 21.0 compare to each other in this category?

As far as I know the amps used are all Class D. Though this is a very efficient technique, the amps are equipped with fans. So this one goes out to all Funk owners in this thread: What's about fan noise? Have you experienced any fan noise, is any audible especially during silent movie scenes and if so, how loud or distracting is it? Do fans only start to work with high loads or even at lower output?




And to further explain my interest in a 15.2: It is based on my sympathy for dual opposed designs, which provide high output from comparatively small cabinets, smoother bass radiation and totally inert cabinets. All dual opposed / push-pull designs I know of are praised for their excellent mid bass punch and extreme precision and musicality, such as the Ken Kreisel DXD 12012 or the Seaton Submersive. Unfortunately in my opinion the former doesn't have enough output, especially when considering its costs. And the latter was quite interesting for me until I realized that Mark Seaton seems to prioritize its American customers given the fact that his and other forums are full of complaints of overseas customers who weren't able to contact him for weeks regardless of numerous efforts, even after they already placed their order and paid all costs. As I am from Germany, non-availability and poor customer care from a manufacturer without any European distribution or subsidiary are totally inacceptable for me. In addition, even after 8 years of availability no independent tests and measurements of the Submersive are available and Seaton doesn't seem to have any interest in providing some, which also doesn't further my confidence in his business politics.
In contrast you provide detailed measurements of your subs, tests are available, your products seem to use higher grade components, show excellent craftmanship and look damn sexy in my opinion.

Costs are not my top priority but unfortunately an aspect, I can't ignore, especially in the background of my wish to get dual subs and my location. So one final question: Can you estimate shipping costs of two 21.0 and two 15.2 to Germany?

Thank you in advance for all answers!
Dustcap is offline  
post #86 of 1070 Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey Dustcap,

Fan noise cannot be heard.
At least I haven't pushed then to the point were they would even spin up. This is probably tied with temperature internally.

This is on 2400x2 even when peaking out at 130dB. Unless you have it pinned at 130dB for a sustained time you may get it to spin but to most likely is going to be so quiet you need to stick you ear up to it.

My Line Array amps are also the same @ 500x4 but I would never be able to turn it up to even 10% power due to it's sensitivity. Fans are inaudible.

It's a great unit with all the protective features from pro amps. Clip limit, dc etc

You will be very happy with the unit.

The same amp was also used at the Vancouver Gtg no fan noise was noticed from any members afaik. The amps were stacked as well so the chassis won't be acting as a heat sink as effectively.

I would consider his amps to be on the top. Will see if I can grab those graphs and stick them on here from the Funk site. They are very very clean amps.

If I were you I would go for the pair of 21, they are on sale
You would get a ton of bass extension down low and very tight clean bass. There's quite a few people that has noticed the tight clean bass of the 18.2 during the gtg here in Vancouver. Jbrown is one of them. The 18.2 was put against 4x18s btw as well

Nathan's stuff have a ton of mid bass punch and can perform at higher frequencies.

I'll let him fill in the details for you.

Typing on the phone, hope this helps

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #87 of 1070 Old 11-24-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,440
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead2k View Post
Hey Dustcap,

Fan noise cannot be heard.
At least I haven't pushed then to the point were they would even spin up. This is probably tied with temperature internally.

This is on 2400x2 even when peaking out at 130dB. Unless you have it pinned at 130dB for a sustained time you may get it to spin but to most likely is going to be so quiet you need to stick you ear up to it.

My Line Array amps are also the same @ 500x4 but I would never be able to turn it up to even 10% power due to it's sensitivity. Fans are inaudible.

It's a great unit with all the protective features from pro amps. Clip limit, dc etc

You will be very happy with the unit.

The same amp was also used at the Vancouver Gtg no fan noise was noticed from any members afaik. The amps were stacked as well so the chassis won't be acting as a heat sink as effectively.

I would consider his amps to be on the top. Will see if I can grab those graphs and stick them on here from the Funk site. They are very very clean amps.

If I were you I would go for the pair of 21, they are on sale
You would get a ton of bass extension down low and very tight clean bass. There's quite a few people that has noticed the tight clean bass of the 18.2 during the gtg here in Vancouver. Jbrown is one of them. The 18.2 was put against 4x18s btw as well

Nathan's stuff have a ton of mid bass punch and can perform at higher frequencies.

I'll let him fill in the details for you.

Typing on the phone, hope this helps

The 18.2 sounded awesome and I wish I had the budget for duals! But they did not have more output then my 4 ported 18's though Steve
jbrown15 is offline  
post #88 of 1070 Old 11-25-2014, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
The 18.2 sounded awesome and I wish I had the budget for duals! But they did not have more output then my 4 ported 18's though Steve
I don't think they would louder than your 4x18s but we never did max out the 18.2 either at the GTG. However, it was fun listening to the pressure wave I got a blast of heat wave as well
Next time we should have them all going at the same time... But don't blame me if your house collapses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcap View Post
Interesting thought, I didn't consider the 21.0 as an option for me so far. I'm not an expert but quite interested in technical aspects, so here are some questions:

Can you name any measurable reasons for the better sound of the 21.0 over the 15.0 and the 18.0? Or is this just your listening impression?

21-inch drivers are said to have potential disadvantages in impulse response compared to 15-inch drivers because of their higer moving mass and power requirements. I know this is no irrefutable law and the result depends on how the particular construction is carried out, but can you tell a bit of how the 15.0, 18.0 and 21.0 compare to each other in this category?

As far as I know the amps used are all Class D. Though this is a very efficient technique, the amps are equipped with fans. So this one goes out to all Funk owners in this thread: What's about fan noise? Have you experienced any fan noise, is any audible especially during silent movie scenes and if so, how loud or distracting is it? Do fans only start to work with high loads or even at lower output?

And to further explain my interest in a 15.2: It is based on my sympathy for dual opposed designs, which provide high output from comparatively small cabinets, smoother bass radiation and totally inert cabinets. All dual opposed / push-pull designs I know of are praised for their excellent mid bass punch and extreme precision and musicality, such as the Ken Kreisel DXD 12012 or the Seaton Submersive. Unfortunately in my opinion the former doesn't have enough output, especially when considering its costs. And the latter was quite interesting for me until I realized that Mark Seaton seems to prioritize its American customers given the fact that his and other forums are full of complaints of overseas customers who weren't able to contact him for weeks regardless of numerous efforts, even after they already placed their order and paid all costs. As I am from Germany, non-availability and poor customer care from a manufacturer without any European distribution or subsidiary are totally inacceptable for me. In addition, even after 8 years of availability no independent tests and measurements of the Submersive are available and Seaton doesn't seem to have any interest in providing some, which also doesn't further my confidence in his business politics.
In contrast you provide detailed measurements of your subs, tests are available, your products seem to use higher grade components, show excellent craftmanship and look damn sexy in my opinion.

Costs are not my top priority but unfortunately an aspect, I can't ignore, especially in the background of my wish to get dual subs and my location. So one final question: Can you estimate shipping costs of two 21.0 and two 15.2 to Germany?

Thank you in advance for all answers!
I think you might be interested in the Product Comparison Page that is recently updated with a bunch of content.

http://www.funkaudio.ca/product-comparisons.html

I think either way, the Funk Drivers are probably the best you can get
Getting back to the Amp thing, I checked my Amp for noise, It is very quiet. You really have to be within 1M close to it to hear the faint whisper of the fan. This is the 4800RMS / 9600 Peak Watt one, the other ones used for the speakers are not audible when I go right up to it. ie. My Active Speakers.

Here's a quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
No problem, note that Nathan's would show the more up to date model (with a single IEC and a power on/off switch on the back). I have one of the original prototypes. The amp looks amazing btw, very subdued, clean etched logo on the front, runs cool and I've never heard the fan run (and have put my subs through some torture tests).
The current model you would be getting should be dead quiet and an improvement. I grabbed Nathan's old one

Here's the response of Nathan's Amps



Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft

Last edited by crackhead2k; 11-25-2014 at 02:36 AM.
crackhead2k is offline  
post #89 of 1070 Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,987
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Would be good to see what happens to the response below 20hz given the sealed application. I think it is still pretty flat, but know my system starts to drop like a rock below about 10 or 12hz if I recall which is possibly box/driver limited though Bosso thought it should not drop the way it was. Had me wondering if there was roll off somewhere in the signal chain..
pbc is offline  
post #90 of 1070 Old 11-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Dustcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thumbs up

@crackhead2k : Thank you for your help. So these fans seem to be just a support to cool amps when driven really hard. That's what I was expecting, otherwise these amps would be some pretty poor constructed class D models. Fortunately, poor construction is nothing, Funk is known for.


I'm afraid you guys could sway me to spend much more money on subs than I was intending...


Let's see what Nathan answers to the questions in my last post when he stops by here next time.



By the way: These product comparisons on the website look quite convincing. I very much appreciate Funk uses 3rd party measurements from Data-Bass instead of some nebulous own "measurements" like some competitors do. +1 on credibility!
Dustcap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
bass , funk audio , high-end , nathan funk , speaker , speakers , subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off