Official Funk Audio Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 995Likes

post #1051 of 1061 Old 08-11-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Haha...the one thing Nathan won't back away from is a challenge...if those new subs are an indication...lol.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1061 Old 08-11-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Haha...the one thing Nathan won't back away from is a challenge...if those new subs are an indication...lol.
Lol,,, no kidding. However knowing Pio (as he doesn't seem to do anything half way),,,, i suspect bolting on a super charger on a "stock" Ram hemi wouldn't be enough as it would limit boost to no more than 7/8lbs before something blew up. If he fully built the engine to take high boost then i don't even know if a 300 shot would get Nathan the win,,,, and i dont think he's even running juice right now lol.

I couldn't believe how nutz this old truck sounded when i met with him. Anyway, back to subs!
PioManiac likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #1053 of 1061 Old 08-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1061 Old 08-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
I finally got everything dialed in last Sunday. It is just a matter of getting the listening time in on them to provide my feedback. Hang tight guys, full review incoming within the next two weeks. If you are on the fence I have absolutely no reservation recommending the 24.0 or the ULF vented units. If they are in your price range, definitely a cut above the rest.

The most dramatic improvement for me has been the overall sound quality-it is unlike anything I have experienced before. With the S7201 everything in my house rattled and groaned, with the ULF Funk subs almost nothing is rattling but the bass is much deeper and tighter. I was looking at my historic graphs and I am actually running the Funks hotter than the S7201s. I really can't make sense of this one, dB for dB at a specific frequency I would expect my house to respond the same. Maybe it has to do with the distortion envelope of the S7201 that excites different resonant modes of items in my house? Although I don't understand it, I certainly am happy that the rattles have stopped and the bass has gotten deeper!
Are you happy with the sound of gun shots in movies now? You complained about gun shots in your thread about the S7201's, which I found odd unless it was an issue with your mains (wide frequency of gun shots) rather than subs.
post #1055 of 1061 Old Today, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4712 Post(s)
Liked: 3498
I have used a bunch of subs in my home theater journey, including DIY. I would have to say that when I had 4 Seaton SubMersives, it provided the best of both worlds for home theater and music. Through a series of changes, I now have 8 Seaton F18's. In a 3400cf room, they provide way more than enough headroom and can easily reach 115dB to 120dB with continuous frequency sweeps and no compression. BUT, they still don't sound as clean in the mid/upper bass as did the SubMersives, and the very bottom end is less than I desire. Way better than I have heard most other places, but I still have the proverbial "itch" to see if LFE Nirvana exists.

All of that to say I am talking to Nathan about procuring 4 of his 18" subs. I am of the camp who believes that 4 properly placed smaller (a relative term) subs will provide huge (measurable and audible) benefits over fewer larger subs. But, I am very reluctant to do so based upon specs, or comparisons to products I know nothing about - nor in rooms that may or may not be properly calibrated. So, I would be interested to hear from someone (I searched this thread and did not find it) who has previously owned Seaton products and now owns Funk subs OR, from someone whose theater would be a great demo space and would be willing to host me for a few hours while I listen.

I had an audio calibration client who used 2 of Nathans 18's along with a single SubMersive but he was hesitant to allow me to crank up his theater so that I could properly evaluate them as I would use them. He listened at MUCH, MUCH lower levels and I do. MUCH lower. I did hear some characteristics that I REALLY liked but there were too many variables for me to come to any valid conclusions.
post #1056 of 1061 Old Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have used a bunch of subs in my home theater journey, including DIY. I would have to say that when I had 4 Seaton SubMersives, it provided the best of both worlds for home theater and music. Through a series of changes, I now have 8 Seaton F18's. In a 3400cf room, they provide way more than enough headroom and can easily reach 115dB to 120dB with continuous frequency sweeps and no compression. BUT, they still don't sound as clean in the mid/upper bass as did the SubMersives, and the very bottom end is less than I desire. Way better than I have heard most other places, but I still have the proverbial "itch" to see if LFE Nirvana exists.

All of that to say I am talking to Nathan about procuring 4 of his 18" subs. I am of the camp who believes that 4 properly placed smaller (a relative term) subs will provide huge (measurable and audible) benefits over fewer larger subs. But, I am very reluctant to do so based upon specs, or comparisons to products I know nothing about - nor in rooms that may or may not be properly calibrated. So, I would be interested to hear from someone (I searched this thread and did not find it) who has previously owned Seaton products and now owns Funk subs OR, from someone whose theater would be a great demo space and would be willing to host me for a few hours while I listen.

I had an audio calibration client who used 2 of Nathans 18's along with a single SubMersive but he was hesitant to allow me to crank up his theater so that I could properly evaluate them as I would use them. He listened at MUCH, MUCH lower levels and I do. MUCH lower. I did hear some characteristics that I REALLY liked but there were too many variables for me to come to any valid conclusions.
@Marc Alexander

I am certain has and can elaborate....

Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #1057 of 1061 Old Today, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:

I do agree that the more subs you have spread out the room the better and smoother the bass response. I've never owned Seatons but I have owned svs and psa and now funks and I love them. Biggest difference in my room was much more output, cleaner sounding/lower distortion and of course much more ULF output since I have custom driver with larger cabinets. Nathan has different versions of 18 inch drivers for different applications/goals and can do custom size boxes to achieve those. Also can do custom paint/veneer and different amp layout configurations. He can do anything impossible to make possible!

I know you're in Atlanta so maybe Charlotte is too far for a demo?

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1058 of 1061 Old Today, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4712 Post(s)
Liked: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I do agree that the more subs you have spread out the room the better and smoother the bass response. I've never owned Seatons but I have owned svs and psa and now funks and I love them. Biggest difference in my room was much more output, cleaner sounding/lower distortion and of course much more ULF output since I have custom driver with larger cabinets. Nathan has different versions of 18 inch drivers for different applications/goals and can do custom size boxes to achieve those. Also can do custom paint/veneer and different amp layout configurations. He can do anything impossible to make possible!

I know you're in Atlanta so maybe Charlotte is too far for a demo?
Thanks.

I have a daughter in Charlotte (actually Waxhaw) so the next time I visit, I will PM you and invite myself over.

I have no issue with needing more output or more ULF. My ideal improvement would be cleaner/better throughout the entire LFE spectrum and much better balance than than my F18's which still seem to lean more on the frequencies south of 50Hz.

The 18's I'm talking about with Nathan are basic rectangular boxes that will fit into the space my Seaton F18's do - but half as many of them. The driver will be the same as or some variant of his current 18s.

I will PM Marc Alexander and see what he has going on re: Funk Subs!!
post #1059 of 1061 Old Today, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^PM great idea.

I would think he can guide you...iirc...he had f18s as well...maybe even a subM...

post #1060 of 1061 Old Today, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I have a daughter in Charlotte (actually Waxhaw) so the next time I visit, I will PM you and invite myself over.

I have no issue with needing more output or more ULF. My ideal improvement would be cleaner/better throughout the entire LFE spectrum and much better balance than than my F18's which still seem to lean more on the frequencies south of 50Hz.

The 18's I'm talking about with Nathan are basic rectangular boxes that will fit into the space my Seaton F18's do - but half as many of them. The driver will be the same as or some variant of his current 18s.

I will PM Marc Alexander and see what he has going on re: Funk Subs!!
I'm not too far from Waxhaw since I'm in Ballantyne area.

I'm not familiar with Seaton subs so I can't comment on that. But if you're looking for more midbass output you should look at the funk 21.0 which is slightly bigger than 18.0 model. To know how mine compares to normal 18.0 and 21.0 mine is custom cabinet made and geared more toward below 50hz ULF output. Mine is orange line. This would give you idea how diff models compare. Look at chart I got from databass to compare 3 diff funk models.

If you have specific size restrictions, let Nathan know and he will come up with various custom cabinet sizing that will work to fit your space. While you could do 4 18.0s behind your area to replace the seaton F18s, maybe dual 21.0 is better for you. Talk to Nathan. He can also do master/slave setup or have amp in each sub depending on how flexible setup and layout is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (199).png
Views:	4
Size:	948.1 KB
ID:	2604402  

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1061 of 1061 Old Today, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
^^PM great idea.

I would think he can guide you...iirc...he had f18s as well...maybe even a subM...
He did have seaton F18s at one point. Actually he has had MANY subs and can explain the differences in sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
bass , funk audio , high-end , nathan funk , speaker , speakers , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page