Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Funk Audio Driver Measurements

Funk Audio Driver Measurements

Funk Audio TSAD18V2 Frequency Response / Harmonic Distortion Graph(s):

Funk Audio TSAD18V2 Frequency Response / Harmonic Distortion Graph(s):
This one is used in the 18.2
Funk Audio 18.2 Subwoofer Crossed at 200hz (Accurate as of July 26, 2014) Measured 10/18/13
Distance Measured: 2M Ground Plane
Power: ???

Red: 2nd Harmonic
Pink: 3rd Harmonic
Green: 4th Harmonic
Teal: 5th
Harmonic
Blue: 2nd to 5th Harmonic

Funk Audio Large Planar Frequency Response Graph(s):

Funk Audio Large Planar Frequency Response Graph(s):

This one is used in the 8.2P
Funk Audio 8.2P Large Planar with Waveguide (July 23, 2014)
Distance Measured: 1M
Power: 1W (2.83V)

Measured in an Anechoic Chamber at the designated angles off of axis. No smoothing.
Axis: 0, 15, 30, 45

Funk Audio Large Planar Specifications:

Dimensions:
62mm Wide (2.563 inches)
152mm Tall (6 inches)

Efficiency:
99db/Watt

Power Handling:
100 Watts

Fs = 800 hz

My impressions:

Impressions from listening to the 8.2P with this large format planar. It can directly compete with Raal Ribbons
This planar does not have the same flaws as the famous BG Neo 8s. This makes for effortless presentation and can be integrated very well if the woofer can keep up. And since the majority of the music information we actually hear exists below 4-5K this planar will excel and exceed ribbons in real life performance. Some of you wonder why… A planar has a very large active surface compared to ribbons which will translate to lower useable frequencies with significantly less distortion. For the designer, easier integration and fine tuning.

In this case, it’s usefulness in terms of coherency and dynamic ability is very different.

Why is this important? The human voice can produce sound between 100 and 1200hz with harmonics up to 8Khz. A piano can extend up to around 4.1khz. And most instruments produce less than 3Khz with most of the harmonics below 10khz.

Raal vs Funk Audio 8.2 Planar?
Raal vs Planars / Raal vs other Ribbons

Most ribbons including Raal, has very small active area with very little excursion. Limiting yourself to certain crossovers would lead to sub par performance and poor integration due to no room to optimize. This applies for drivers of all types. Having such a driver of this performance level open many opportunities.

The planar will keep the high frequency floor bounce to a minimum. There is little vertical dispersion in a planar, but since this is one of the largest planars it will give quite a tall vertical coverage. Dispersion in a planar narrows across the horizontal plane as the frequency gets higher. As the frequency of sound goes higher, the wavelength is smaller. So this is not really to much of a problem. This was proven at the Vancouver Summertime GTG (2014) since I did not hear anyone complain about high frequency dispersion or "beaming" issues. Quite a few of use were off Axis as well and not in the "sweet spot".

At Funk Audio, performance in the real world comes first, nothing else.

Funk Audio TSAD18v1 vs TC Sounds LMS ULTRA 5400

I personally did not get that much experience with TC Sounds drivers...Most are too short... So I'll post a link to a person that has both...I do, however, feel that the TSAD18V1 driver responds very accurately even on low volume even though the demo was short. (Was too distracted by the dual 18.3 and 18.2)

Forum: Audioholics
Posted by: Docks

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...vs-tsad18.html

Quote:
Music!
Digging through my FLAC collection resulted in me choosing my first album for this.
Daft Punk: Tron soundtrack and cranking the EP4000 up allowed me to become fully engrossed in this. I’ve heard this on my LMS, so I had a reference point, I honestly thought these two drivers would sound very similar - I was mistaken. The LMS seems to have a bit more bass lower, but the TSAD has more higher up, and when I say “higher” i mean 40hz. I asked myself, if its lower is it better? The meat of most music is above 40hz, which the TSAD appears to excel on this soundtrack. Using both subs side by side, i was adjusting the channels again to my surprise it sounded like the LMS was “slower” than the TSAD, almost like the LMS is dragging the music out, this gives me the impression that the TSAD is a bit more “true to the source”

Funk Audio Speakers For the Home Theater and other Customizations

Funk Audio 5.4P Center Channel (Custom):

Funk Audio 18.2C (Custom Sealed Enclosure, 2.4KW RMS Amp)

Other Specifications

Some information is not on the official website yet but will be updated later on. Please PM or post to notify me of changes.

Funk Audio 6.1P

F3 would be the point at which frequency response drops 3 decibels. This is the point that your frequency response starts to trail off.

f3 is 47hz
f10 is 40hz

Funk Audio 18.2

For Power Level 2 as far as I know, Comes with 2 Units for amplification not integrated with the box. These were demoed at the Vancouver Summer Time get together on July 19th 2014.
These if proper amount of power supplied are able to to 130db, with compensation for dual opposed 140db if I remember correctly.

Interesting Facts:
Capable of 130 dB 2M ground plane
Can Achieve 140 dB w/ compensation for Dual Opposed (Needs confirmation)
Drivers have not been fried yet even with over 10 Kw

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft

Last edited by crackhead2k; 07-27-2014 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Adding detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 995 Old 09-12-2014, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cool Official Funk Audio Thread

Hello Fellow Members!

Since Funky Waves has disappeared and has been officially Funk Audio for the longest time ever.
I think it is most suitable to put this thread up with the correct name since I haven't been responded to for a request to have the name changed for the other thread.
Old Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...stom-subs.html

Company: Funk Audio
Builder & Owner: Nathan Funk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/funkaudio.ca/timeline
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9k...TW5jzrg/videos

My Youtube Channel With the Funk Audio Builds:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnq...NJnQ4ZSsN0e6EQ

Anyways I am getting a Funk Audio 18.2 Subwoofer.
I will be posting my own pictures eventually when I receive the monster along with my Line Arrays from Nathan

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
post #3 of 995 Old 09-12-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
I remember that monster!
You have to have a gtg when you get your setup !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 995 Old 09-12-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
I remember that monster!
You have to have a gtg when you get your setup !!!!
Plan to But we can't crank as hard, I don't have the power for it atm. Apparently the 18.2 wasn't coming close to being cranked at our last GTG according to Mark. I'm seriously questioning the structural integrity of my house after this one O.O

Hard Hat anyone?

Btw... Part 6 is up

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ld-thread.html

Last edited by crackhead2k; 09-12-2014 at 07:40 PM.
post #5 of 995 Old 09-13-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Trading up to Funk

I've been reading through the AVS trying to figure out what subwoofer I want to replace my ML Descent i subwoofers. Thanks to the funkywaves thread and all of you guys on here I have just ordered 2 Funk Audio 18.0 subwoofers from Nathan. He is making me one with a dual amplifier to drive a second slave unit which saved me some money. I will post pictures once I have them in my room... I'm really hoping I'll have them within 6 weeks or less. In a few years, I'll graduate to those ridiculous 18.2's, or whatever else Nathan has to offer.

My work in progress: Sony KDL65w850a, Oppo 105D Darbee edition, Marantz 7702, Marantz 8077, W4S mAMPs, W4S DAC1-LE, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Dual Funk Audio 18.0, Sonos, ML center and surround speakers, cheap Onkyo Atmos speakers for now, decent cables (Cardas, Pangea, Bluejeans), APC H15 power conditioner, Logitech Harmony Ultimate (for the wife obviously), Roku, minimal GIK acoustic panels...
post #6 of 995 Old 09-13-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newAVphile View Post
I've been reading through the AVS trying to figure out what subwoofer I want to replace my ML Descent i subwoofers. Thanks to the funkywaves thread and all of you guys on here I have just ordered 2 Funk Audio 18.0 subwoofers from Nathan. He is making me one with a dual amplifier to drive a second slave unit which saved me some money. I will post pictures once I have them in my room... I'm really hoping I'll have them within 6 weeks or less. In a few years, I'll graduate to those ridiculous 18.2's, or whatever else Nathan has to offer.
Sounds awesome! You can now shake up your entire neighborhood! So that would mean he has about 4 or more subs to build in total.

Have you chosen a veneer yet?
You should probably grab a pair of kick ass speakers from him as well

Btw, by that time(a few years) he would most likely have a few monsters. He always have one lurking in the bushes like a secret plan.
Quite frankly, I'm scared what might come out next.

He's pretty much on permanent R&D.

post #7 of 995 Old 09-14-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead2k View Post
Sounds awesome! You can now shake up your entire neighborhood! So that would mean he has about 4 or more subs to build in total.

Have you chosen a veneer yet?
You should probably grab a pair of kick ass speakers from him as well

Btw, by that time(a few years) he would most likely have a few monsters. He always have one lurking in the bushes like a secret plan.
Quite frankly, I'm scared what might come out next.

He's pretty much on permanent R&D.
I'm still deciding on a veneer. He's going to send me a couple samples so I can choose one that will match my dark cherry Martin Logan Montis. I know it will never match perfect, I just like the dark cherry look for all my speakers and wood furniture (at least in my home theater room). As far as his speakers, I do intend to listen to them at some point, but speakers are something I absolutely have to audition before I buy, so it could be a while before I check them out. Until then I am very happy with my electrostats.

My work in progress: Sony KDL65w850a, Oppo 105D Darbee edition, Marantz 7702, Marantz 8077, W4S mAMPs, W4S DAC1-LE, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Dual Funk Audio 18.0, Sonos, ML center and surround speakers, cheap Onkyo Atmos speakers for now, decent cables (Cardas, Pangea, Bluejeans), APC H15 power conditioner, Logitech Harmony Ultimate (for the wife obviously), Roku, minimal GIK acoustic panels...
post #8 of 995 Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newAVphile View Post
I'm still deciding on a veneer. He's going to send me a couple samples so I can choose one that will match my dark cherry Martin Logan Montis. I know it will never match perfect, I just like the dark cherry look for all my speakers and wood furniture (at least in my home theater room). As far as his speakers, I do intend to listen to them at some point, but speakers are something I absolutely have to audition before I buy, so it could be a while before I check them out. Until then I am very happy with my electrostats.
Haha, you are just like me! I was deciding on the veneer for awhile

There are in home demos from Funk btw
Here's the link below

http://www.funkaudio.ca/in-home-demo.html

post #9 of 995 Old 09-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Haha, you are just like me! I was deciding on the veneer for awhile

There are in home demos from Funk btw
Here's the link below

http://www.funkaudio.ca/in-home-demo.html

I do tend to have trouble making decisions with audio gear, which is unusual because I'm very decisive with everything else. I just got to the point that I asked Nathan to make the decision for me, he clearly has good taste.

I do plan on giving the funks a listen, but not until I move into my new house in less than 2 years. At that point I will be choosing my next speakers. My current front-runner is the ML CLX art speakers, but I plan to audition revel, sonus faber and now Funks speakers... I'm especially going to see how those line array speaker turn out.

post #10 of 995 Old 09-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Progress

My dual funk 18.0 subwoofer boxes are officially built and now acclimating. Nathan said that he'll be busy with an audio show for a while, but he'll start to veneer them when he gets back. I measured my descent i subwoofers for comparison after I get the 18.0s. They clearly start losing potency before 20hz. That's exactly why I'm replacing them with something that digs DEEP. FYI, the ML Descent i's sound amazing and have almost enough power for me, but they definitely don't hit very hard down low. For more reference I also owned a svs PB13-u and the descent i doesn't dig as deep as that did either.

post #11 of 995 Old 10-01-2014, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Update: The 18.2 Is sold I bought them actually, Here are some Line Array Photos and SuB

post #12 of 995 Old 10-01-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I do not know much about REW, But I know Nathan uses an Omni Mic, I sure he will jump on to help you
Also something to note. There is not much actual material that goes below that number. I have an 18.2 The most important stuff are around 30-100... I'd say 95% of your musical information are over 30hz. And for your drums much of that is above 50 especially impacts that you feel.
The thing with Funk Subs is that they don't sound so loud because they are so darn clean compared to my Velodyne, but it still leaves everything shaking. It's fast!

I know everyone wants 10hz flat, but there are not many times you will actually get that in a movie. It's more bass heavy.

You do not need break in on. It takes 10s of seconds to break them in. It's broken in the moment Nathan tests each of the drivers.
I have listened to them and and my thoughts were...
They are incredibly clean, detailed, beautiful rendition on vocals, distortionless, and just freakin dynamic. It is an effortless reproduction, lively and when needed can scare the crap out of you.
I used to run the pre/pro around 45, I now can run 35 because the sensitivity and clarity of the reproduction is that good. I am no were close to clipping the amp.
While Listening to male and female vocals I realized Line Arrays done right is simply in another class especially with Funks Drivers. These are using the 6.1P drivers, the 6.1P by itself already sound very nice along with the 8.2P. And I would place those ones at a reference level including the 6.1Ps when it come to reproducing vocals, dynamics with accuracy, minus the bass range. You can't expect bookshelf speaker to make bass. I do rate the 2 speakers above B&W and many other speakers and they do perform above what they are sold for right now within their design, ie not asking 20hz from it at 120dB

If you ask me if I'd rather have 3 pairs of B&W 800Ds or this line array. I would pick one of this. The difference in performance is that big in the critical range. Assuming you are not allowed to sell either speakers and you have to live with it the rest of your life

One line array in room 15 degrees off axis EQed Distortion in Nathan's Room, will get my graphs eventually. His room is a lot larger than mine, very high ceilings too. No room gain practically. He mention 7000 cubic feet I think.

Funk Audio 18.2

Power!!!

You've definitely got an amazing setup! My dream is to have an equally awesome setup eventually.

I know that most material is above 20hz, but I certainly noticed a difference in my room when I had the PB-13U, so I wanted to get that feeling again (and then some). For me, even if the subwoofer only goes below 20hz once a month, it'll be worth it. I also chose funk because how clean they are, I definitely demand accurate sound from my system. Lastly, I just wanted them because they look good enough to make my friends jealous.

post #13 of 995 Old 10-01-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
^^^^ That sub looks monstrous next to that couch.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #14 of 995 Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm flat to below 10Hz at the MLP and I can tell you it certainly does make a difference to get below 20 for movies. If I shut off my dual 18's that cover 5-20Hz the sound looses weight and a lot of tactile feel...and that's with dual JTR orbit shifters still running which will wipe the floor with pretty much any commercial sub. I'm clean to about 130dB from 5Hz up.

Oh, btw, those line arrays are just breathtaking!

(3) DIYSG 1099's (LCR) (2) DIYSG Volt 6's (2) uxl18 mini marty's