Two Hsu subwoofers get major upgrades: the VTF15h mk2 and VTF3 mk5 HP - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 443Likes

post #781 of 1582 Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
I've never used xt32 but I don't believe you should be moving the gain on your sub after Audyssey has run. If the sub/subs are measured fine then adjustments should be made in your avr. Maybe I missed something in the translation.
It is just away to find a 3db bump for my sub using the same test sound that you use for running the set up. I have never tried it the other way.
Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1582 Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Formula View Post
From what I have heard the apps are pretty worthless for low frequencies due to the limits of a phones mic, correct?
Correct! But better than nothing.

Cacimar Hernandez
post #783 of 1582 Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 24 View Post
Good food for thought Luke. Gives me a couple ideas to try some things. The center and surrounds definitely go Small, however my experience has been the best sound comes when the mains are set to Large. Though I may be an anomaly in that I have large speakers capable of response down to the 30hz region and more than enough power to drive them.

However, one problem creeps up with leaving the bass setting to LFE only and having speakers set to Large, when playing back content that does not have the dedicated .1 channel the subwoofer stays inactive, which I'm sure some would say is all the more reason to set everything to small.

One thing I'm not clear on and haven't had the chance to try some stuff with test tones and a meter; when Bass setting is LFE+Main, Main L/R set to Large, and the 'Advanced' crossover is set to 40Hz, do only signals below 40Hz get sent to the sub from the Main L/R?
Why does it sound better to you? Probably more bass from 40hz to 30 hz where your speakers and subs are playing twice the bass, as louder is better and thats a proven fact. Without measuring you are just guessing why you perceive it to be better. You could always turn up the subwoofer or q control...

What Chris Kyriakakis of Audyssey has to say on the subject:

"LFE + Main should not even be an option because it just causes duplication of bass content by sending it to both the sub and any speakers set to Large (Full Range).

A "high ranking" official in a "well-known" AVR company told me that LFE + Main was invented to appease customers that were upset when their speakers were being set to Small. These customers had a complete lack of understanding of what Small means (i.e. turn on bass management and redirect the bass to the subwoofer) and felt... inadequate. LFE + Main allows them to set their speakers to a more manly Large and still have bass management. But it's a compromise that can cause boomy bass if the speaker and subwoofer overlap in the lower frequencies."

http://www.audyssey.com/blog/small-vs-large

"Redirecting the bass to the subwoofer relieves the receiver amplifiers from having to work on reproducing the low frequencies and this greatly improves the headroom. If you happen to be using Audyssey MultEQ for room correction, you will achieve much better low frequency performance because the MultEQ subwoofer filters have 8x higher resolution than the filters in the other channels.

Here is a better rule: All speakers are Small. In today’s complicated AVR lingo that just means: If you have a subwoofer you should always turn bass management on. Always. Even if your receiver clings to the past and automatically sets your speakers to Large."

Three 7" drivers is about equivalent to a single 12" driver in surface area. You have the ability to cross over to two 15" subwoofers in combined ~10 cubic feet on their own dedicated amps built for one thing, producing prodigious bass. Your subwoofers see 8x the eq filters on multi eq xt as the sats. I have dual 8" drivers in my mains seeing 350-450 watts if needed with a claimed +/-6 dB of 35hz. They measure about -6 dB at 40hz in my room. I cross them over at 100hz. Small with a crossover of 40, 60, 80, 100 whatever works best or you like the best would be my recommendation. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Good luck

I have derailed enough here, I let you guys get back to discussing these new, nicely priced, high quality subwoofers.

Last edited by Luke Kamp; 01-07-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1582 Old 01-07-2015, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Sorry to keep this derailedd, but I feel I'm about to learn something here.

I understand what you're saying is technically correct which I'm all for, but I also can't ignore what my ears are telling me. I tried it again last night, various styles of music, all in 2 channel, and when set to small, regardless of the crossover, the sound was thin, even anemic in the lower regions.

And the subs were definitely working, so I tried turning up the sub in the AVR, tried different port and Q settings, but ended up back at 'Large'. Also I found I liked a slightly lower Q (~.35-.4 vs .5) and 1db higher (-6 vs -7, Audessy set it to -9) Now, I'm definitely not one for boomy overhanging bass it's annoying and detracts from the music. I like it nuanced and textured, and find that I generally prefer less bass than many of my friends. When it comes to subwoofers I prefer not to hear them, by that I mean I like them to blend seamlessly with the mains so it seems like they aren't actually doing anything until you turn them off and realize what they were contributing.

So is it possible what is technically correct for the settings just doesn't agree with my concept, or preference for what 'sounds good/right'? Fortunately I'll have lots of time in the Venetian at CES this weekend to see if my internal calibration is off.
post #785 of 1582 Old 01-07-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:

I understand what you're saying is technically correct which I'm all for, but I also can't ignore what my ears are telling me. I tried it again last night, various styles of music, all in 2 channel, and when set to small, regardless of the crossover, the sound was thin, even anemic in the lower regions.

And the subs were definitely working, so I tried turning up the sub in the AVR, tried different port and Q settings, but ended up back at 'Large'. Also I found I liked a slightly lower Q (~.35-.4 vs .5) and 1db higher (-6 vs -7, Audessy set it to -9) Now, I'm definitely not one for boomy overhanging bass it's annoying and detracts from the music. I like it nuanced and textured, and find that I generally prefer less bass than many of my friends. When it comes to subwoofers I prefer not to hear them, by that I mean I like them to blend seamlessly with the mains so it seems like they aren't actually doing anything until you turn them off and realize what they were contributing.

So is it possible what is technically correct for the settings just doesn't agree with my concept, or preference for what 'sounds good/right'? Fortunately I'll have lots of time in the Venetian at CES this weekend to see if my internal calibration is off.
I have my mains set to large and the sub to LFE + main. I find that it sounds more full like that. Maybe my internal calibration is off too.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #786 of 1582 Old 01-07-2015, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Quote:

I am sure nobody will object to this kind of information, so not really a derail. Anyway, what could be happening is your speakers are creating a peak in the frequency response which sounds like more detailed bass. It may bring out some bass textures, but its like a speaker with boosted treble, it brings out upper frequency details at the expense of accuracy. Another cause might be the speakers are generating a lot of harmonic distortion which will make the bass sound thicker. And another possibility is that there is simply a null in your listening position which gets filled by having the speakers emit sound at that frequency. To know for sure, you will need to take measurements.
post #787 of 1582 Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
2 words, "house curve"
post #788 of 1582 Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post
2 words, "house curve"
Right!

Shady, while I don't have advanced measuring tools I do have the HSU Test disc, a RS meter, time and beer. Here's the numbers from when I first set up the Mk2's. Gain at 9o'clock, Q=.5, one port mode. Subs measured individually on the two left column, both in the middle, mains alone and then subs and mains on the right. These numbers are not corrected for the inaccuracies of the RS meter in the low ranges. It was set to slow response, C weighting. Mains set to Large, all EQing turned off, though looking at the numbers again it looks like the LPF for the LFE was active and set at 80Hz. You can see the mains on their own are pretty healthy down to 31.5Hz tone.

Since doing this I've re-set the gains to get audessy to bring the sub level from -12 to -9 and set it to -7. Then I adjusted the Q from .5 to .35-.4 and raised the sub level to -6 which tightened up the bass a little bit, and made the subs a bit more transparent.

Is it possible to glean any useful info from my chicken scratch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8373.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	466249  

Down
RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6
Dual HSU VTF-15H
HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panasonic 500

Up
LSi9 LSiC RX-V3000 Panasonic 220
post #789 of 1582 Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I can glean something from them, provided the meter was not moved. Those measurements were taken from your listening position, correct? It looks like you have a null around 80 Hz and a peak around 30 Hz. Audyssey will take care of the peak. As for the null, you may want to move one of the subs to a spot where it will have strong output at 80 Hz, so their responses compliment each other. From looking at the subs response, my guess is the subs are presently placed in a symmetrical location with respect to your listening position?
post #790 of 1582 Old 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Yes, I can glean something from them, provided the meter was not moved. Those measurements were taken from your listening position, correct? It looks like you have a null around 80 Hz and a peak around 30 Hz. Audyssey will take care of the peak. As for the null, you may want to move one of the subs to a spot where it will have strong output at 80 Hz, so their responses compliment each other. From looking at the subs response, my guess is the subs are presently placed in a symmetrical location with respect to your listening position?
You might also search for "distance tweak".
post #791 of 1582 Old 01-08-2015, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Also reversing the phase switch on one of the subs should alter the response of both subs played together. See how the phase effects the response, it may be an improvement, but it could also make things worse.
post #792 of 1582 Old 01-08-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
What Chris Kyriakakis of Audyssey has to say on the subject:

"LFE + Main should not even be an option because it just causes duplication of bass content by sending it to both the sub and any speakers set to Large (Full Range).

I've always wondered something about that quote... large/small is a separate setting from LFE/LFE+MAIN...

so what is it doing if you set it to LFE+MAIN but have all your speakers set to small? Same behavior as if you just had it on LFE only, or something else?
post #793 of 1582 Old 01-08-2015, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I moved the sub next to the TV (about 3ft from where it was) and it was still a complete null right in the MLP. I've moved all the couches out of the way and sat the sub at the MLP for the sub crawl. I believe I have found a new for it that will work. When I moved it next to the TV I re-ran Audyssey and got it to set a -9. I bumped it to -3, felt like that was still pushing it too hard so I want to -5 and that is where it is right now. Most material sounds pretty good but I'm still afraid to turn it up close to reference on heavy stuff like the super lycan scene. It still just does not sound like clean output to me. While I had it sitting at MLP for the crawl I was listening to Bass 305 - Cyberbass (Bass Syndicate Classic Version) and it sounded great and very clean. A little past midway it starts a portion where it goes super low for a second and then switches very loud. You could visually see that this was a high excursion point in the song and when it hit that note there was heavy audible distortion, eveything else sounded clean. This was in ported max headroom mode. I thought maybe that would be a safer mode for high volume. I guess I just need to keep the trim lower?

I noticed another odd thing while I was testing things that I am curious if anyone else has ever noticed. When adjusting volume on my AVR (Denon X2000) the sub makes a scratchy sound every time I hit the volume button up or down. What would be causing that?

I'm about to go put the room back together and put the sub it it's new sport. I'll try to re-run Audyssey tonight if I can after the kiddo goes to bed and see how that sounds.
post #794 of 1582 Old 01-08-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Have you tried to move sub to the left of TV to see if it helps with your null? What master volume you listened at? It shouldn't distort unless you are at or above reference MV. Don't know about your 'scratchy' sound when adjusting the volume.
post #795 of 1582 Old 01-08-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Have you tried to move sub to the left of TV to see if it helps with your null? What master volume you listened at? It shouldn't distort unless you are at or above reference MV. Don't know about your 'scratchy' sound when adjusting the volume.
I've tried all practical placements now, it is strange but the MLP is just a black hold for low frequency sound... Just too central in the room I guess. It is strange walking around the room hearing it go quiet there. I even hooked up my S12 too and tried moving it around as well and it still did not seem to help much. I now how it in the back corner and that seems to be the best, I moved the couch back about 6-7" to help get it further back from center. Kid's play area is behind the couch so I can't go too far back. I left everything in what I think is the best setup and will give it some higher playback tomorrow. My daughters room is on the other side of the wall and she was already in bed when I was still tweaking so I was not able to play too loud.

Since I've got the sub I have not gone any higher than -8db MV, usually listening around -12. I've yet to hit reference even once.
post #796 of 1582 Old 01-09-2015, 08:26 AM

I assume you have tried switching the phase?
post #797 of 1582 Old 01-09-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
88Formula, have you contacted Hsu? I wouldn't accept audible distortion at your listening level, especially with the recently high praised 15hmk2.
post #798 of 1582 Old 01-09-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
88Formula, have you contacted Hsu? I wouldn't accept audible distortion at your listening level, especially with the recently high praised 15hmk2.
I have not yet, but I plan to. I was wanting to do some more setup/testing but I think regardless of setup I have not had the sub over 9:00 on the gain and have heard the sub pop loudly twice, have not really experienced clean bass in movies. Also when I first got it I listened to the bass test CD, first track with the organ at a pretty low volume and it sounded like the driver was about to fly out of the cabinet, and not in a good way, I turned the MV down as quick as I could.
post #799 of 1582 Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM

Sound and Vision review, fresh from CES!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1420863503113.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	469585   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1420863542181.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	469593   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1420863586829.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	469601  
mnc, Luis5150, lz7j and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Inspector 24; 01-09-2015 at 11:50 PM.
post #800 of 1582 Old 01-10-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sound and Vision review, fresh from CES!!
Awesome!

Thanks man!
post #801 of 1582 Old 01-11-2015, 06:57 AM
rts

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Received my 15 mk2 on Friday and have been experimenting with it since then. The sub is so big and heavy ... it's really unfair for one FedEx guy who was struggling to get it out. The box had a couple of damages but the sub inside looks good. I wish hsu will double box it with the sub box put in a shipping box.

I was watching Game of Thrones - the episode where Stannis attacks King's landing. When the ships exploded/burned ... it just knocked my socks off. The issue that I'm running into now is having to secure all wall decoration properly as many of them start vibrating at low bass level. Even the projector focus was offset at one point ... might have to do something to secure the lens focus permanently.

Then started the crawl test - almost broke my back putting the sub on the couch. The room is a pretty big L shaped basement area., and my couch is kind of close to the middle of on of the L legs. So the acoustics are not that great. After listening to music at various positions and taking SPL meter readings of hsu test tones, finally decided to place the subwoofer nearfield next to my seating position. (The other option was putting it behind the couch versus next to it, maybe I'll experiment with that more later). I'm currently using couple of old sub cables joined together by an RCA coupler until are order the new cable this week. I've following questions that I'm figuring out. Any answers/comments etc. will be appreciated:

1. Do subwoofers also have a break-in period? Don't want to drive it too much in the initial days if that impacts long term performance

2. The sub has two Low Level Inputs ("Sub in / Left" and "Right"). Should I get a Y connector to feed both or just put the sub LFE output from my receiver in the "Sub in / Left". Wondering if the Y connector will make any difference. The other option is to run two sub cables from my 7.2 receiver and feed one in the "Sub in / Left" and and other in the "Right" port of the sub. Wondering if there's any advantage since I'll be running a 25ft cable and this may help with any signal loss

3. Which port open? Does it matter which port to open in 1 Port mode? Are both mk2 ports identical?

4. Really confused about EQ1 vs EQ2 operating modes. I'll be using the sub for movies, so 1 port seems to make sense. However, I wish the manual was in "English"! Both claim deepest bass extension. FOr the time being, I've kept it at EQ1 after reading various posts in this thread and others. Hard to tell the difference based on listening tests. The current explanation in the manual is:
A. Ported Max Extension Mode: 1 port open, and operating mode switch set to ‘EQ1’. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to-large room sizes, or small to medium rooms but who listen at low-to-moderate playback levels where the rising low bass from room gain will help compensate for the ear’s insensitivity to bass at lower levels.
B. Ported Max Headroom Mode: 1 port open, and operating mode switch set to ‘EQ2’. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to large room sizes who listen at high playback levels and want the deepest bass extension.

5. Similar confusion regarding Q Control level. Going back and forth between Q Control 0.5 vs 0.7. Seems like (maybe) 0.5 sounded better for music while 0.7 sounded better for movies (freer / less constrained bass feel) ... but again hard to tell the difference based on my hearing.

Thanks to all for helping make this decision - no regrets!

Last edited by rts; 01-12-2015 at 07:27 AM.
post #802 of 1582 Old 01-11-2015, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

rts, to answer your questions in order:
1: technically subs do have a break in, but you will not notice it, so in practice, no. Don't worry about breaking in your sub.
2: It doesn't matter which port you open in one port mode, as both ports are the same.
3: Agreed, the manual isn't very clear. For deeper bass, use one port open with 'EQ1'. For punchier deep bass but doesn't dig as deep, use both ports open with 'EQ2'. One port mode will get you bass down to 16 Hz but does give up a little bit of headroom to do so, and it also makes the sub more prone to port chuffing. Two ports mode will give you bass down to 22 Hz but more output above that point, and also makes the sub less susceptible to chuffing. You might try them both and stay with the setting you like the most.
post #803 of 1582 Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Quote:
Not a good idea. Sub always performs better in the low frequency. I would raise the xover to 100hz and have the sub handles those low frequency beside from free up the receiver/amp headroom to drive the speakers.
Yes but the days of one crossover setting for all speakers is long gone in most receivers and pre/pros and many room correction softwares set the front lower than 80(if they are capable) and the LFE at 80. For instance the ARC room correction Anthem uses sets my fronts to 60Hz, center to 100Hz and my surrounds to 80Hz. If you're talking the LFE channel then yes I agree but he asked about his fronts and I'm assuming his receiver has multi crossovers vs the old single crossover for everything.
My vtfmk2 arrived today. Legairre, I must say that you were spot on. It does feel tighter, i believe it is because it has so much more output especially in the midbass that it is just ridiculous. It gives me more stress in movies because of how hard it hits. Great upgrade!

Last edited by cacihome; 01-12-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #804 of 1582 Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Just a note and question for the person whose sub is "popping". It's possible for the popping to be caused by the output on the AVR clipping. My Denon AVR with both sub trim and master volume set to "0" will clip when asked to produce more than about 113 dB (at "reference level"). Many soundtracks ask for quite a bit more than that, and this is quite a bit less than what the VTF-15Hmk2 should be capable of in-room, at least > 30 Hz. If Audyssey is boosting to correct a room null, the output level that clips the AVR may be even lower.
post #805 of 1582 Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome View Post
My vtfmk2 arrived today. Legairre, I must say that you were spot on. It does feel tighter, i believe it is because it has so much more output especially in the midbass that it is just ridiculous. It gives me more stress in movies because of how hard it hits. Great upgrade!
It is just crazy isn't it? With just one the mid bass is greatly improved over the 15H mk1. Even with the mk2 in 1 port open. EQ1, mode the is a ton of midbass and headroom.

My second 15H mk2 arrived last Monday that replaced the damaged one and I've finally got them EQ-ed with a house curve using REW and a MiniDSP(had to bring down the peaks). I have two rows of seating an the response is so even from seat to seat that you don't notice any difference in the amount of bass from one seat to the next. The mk2 is a killer sub and I've never felt the sofa move like this. I'm not joking when I say movies like the Expendables 3 really make you say oh **** from the amount of bass. I think I'm gong to have to back it down from 5dB hot a bit, because 5dB hot is hitting crazy hard is like being on a ride. My theater is 13x24x8, carpet over concrete and sealed and the really pressurizes too. I can't imagine what they would be like on the main level with a wood floor.

The Dr. has really outdone himself.
chuckychuck7 likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 01-12-2015 at 10:17 PM.
post #806 of 1582 Old 01-13-2015, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post
I've always wondered something about that quote... large/small is a separate setting from LFE/LFE+MAIN...

so what is it doing if you set it to LFE+MAIN but have all your speakers set to small? Same behavior as if you just had it on LFE only, or something else?
There is no difference between LFE+MAIN and LFE when all speakers are small.
Kurtz9 likes this.
post #807 of 1582 Old 01-13-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is just crazy isn't it? With just one the mid bass is greatly improved over the 15H mk1. Even with the mk2 in 1 port open. EQ1, mode the is a ton of midbass and headroom.

My second 15H mk2 arrived last Monday that replaced the damaged one and I've finally got them EQ-ed with a house curve using REW and a MiniDSP(had to bring down the peaks). I have two rows of seating an the response is so even from seat to seat that you don't notice any difference in the amount of bass from one seat to the next. The mk2 is a killer sub and I've never felt the sofa move like this. I'm not joking when I say movies like the Expendables 3 really make you say oh **** from the amount of bass. I think I'm gong to have to back it down from 5dB hot a bit, because 5dB hot is hitting crazy hard is like being on a ride. My theater is 13x24x8, carpet over concrete and sealed and the really pressurizes too. I can't imagine what they would be like on the main level with a wood floor.

The Dr. has really outdone himself.
Absolutely agree! Mine is set at 9'o clock, Eq2, Q @.5, phase at 180, both ports open. Almost flat till ~20hz in room. About -14db @16hz. Room is 27x13x8, not entirely sealed. Sub is at front right corner at about 10 feet from LP.

This thing pounds much more harder than what the numbers say...I don't know why, but it truly feels like 2 mk1's. Especially in the upper/midbass. I put Inception last night and OMGGGGGGGGGG! I'm not sure I can tolerate this much midbass for a whole movie without turning it down a bit.

I think i have found a sub that has more output than what I need??????????....ok, well....at least for now....hahhahahahha

Cacimar Hernandez

Last edited by cacihome; 01-13-2015 at 09:31 AM.
post #808 of 1582 Old 01-13-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome View Post
Absolutely agree! Mine is set at 9'o clock, Eq2, Q @.5, phase at 180, both ports open. Almost flat till ~19hz in room. Room is 27x13x8, not entirely sealed. Front right corner.

This thing pounds much more than what the numbers say...I don't know why, but it truly feels like 2 mk1's. Especially in the upper/midbass.

I think i have found a sub that has more output than what I need??????????....ok, well....at least for now....hahhahahahha
Man I was thinking the same thing with just the one. Since the second was damaged and I had to wait I was running just the one and I kept thinking man one is enough for my room, but the second is still coming so what the heck. Saying the mk2 is an upgrade over the mk1 is an understatement. It's like someone put two mk1 subs in a mk2 box.

Sure the numbers show a 3 or 4 dB increase, but the tightness of the bass, the extra headroom, the tactile feeling, and the mid bass punch make the mk2 about much more than just a 3 or 4dB increase. It wasn't just a decibel increase it was an increase across the board that makes this sub a huge upgrade over the mk1.

One was already enough, but with two I have finally reached the point that I never thought I'd reach. The point where I can say I have way more bass than I need.
chuckychuck7 likes this.

post #809 of 1582 Old 01-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
One was already enough, but with two I have finally reached the point that I never thought I'd reach. The point where I can say I have way more bass than I need.
Welcome to the wonderful world of "multi-subs"... I guarantee you won't go back to just running one sub
roccoleach likes this.

| Panasonic TC-P65S2 HD Plasma | Oppo BDP-93 | Paradigm Studio 100's v2 (mains) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (center) | Paradigm ADP-370 v3 (sides surr.) | Paradigm Studio 20's v2 (sides + back surr.) | SVS PB13-Ultra(x3) | Marantz AV-8801 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-5 (x2) |
post #810 of 1582 Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis5150 View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of "multi-subs"... I guarantee you won't go back to just running one sub
Between the great response (once EQ-ed with REW and MiniDSP) and the great room filling bass you're absolutely right. I'll never go back to a single sub.
Luis5150 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page