GoldenEar ForceField 5 Subwoofer Official AVSForum Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #121 of 141 Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2354 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I've had my ForceField 5s for over 3 years now. The passive radiators are not sagging in any way I can see or measure (but who knows, maybe there's 1 mm of sag? Lol). Anyhow, the suspension is still super-stiff. That whole sagging PR thing was a red herring. I'm glad you brought it up though, I wanted to remember to revisit the topic after some years passed, because it's the only way to know. Those guys were just full of assumptions, based on reasonable hypothesis I suppose, but proof is in the pudding. 3 years later and performance is the same as when I got 'em.
I’ve had 2 FF5’s in my 12x20x7.5 room for more than a year now...one up front, one right behind my seating...AWESOME for BOTH HT and music!! Tight, tight, tight...love em!

Video:JVC NX7, 125” 2.35 Stewart ST100 Electric, Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b, 25s, Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I've had my ForceField 5s for over 3 years now. The passive radiators are not sagging in any way I can see or measure (but who knows, maybe there's 1 mm of sag? Lol). Anyhow, the suspension is still super-stiff. That whole sagging PR thing was a red herring. I'm glad you brought it up though, I wanted to remember to revisit the topic after some years passed, because it's the only way to know. Those guys were just full of assumptions, based on reasonable hypothesis I suppose, but proof is in the pudding. 3 years later and performance is the same as when I got 'em.

Are you still using the force field 5? I have a chance to buy one for a pretty good deal. It will be replacing a klipsch
sub-12, so it will probably be a noticeable difference. I have a 12x20 room with 9' ceiling, Would one ff5 be enough to fill the room?

Cabinet size isn't really too much of a factor. I was considering psa 15" ported sub, but then I came across the FF5.
post #123 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 473 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9557 Post(s)
Liked: 16971
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreynmandy View Post
Are you still using the force field 5? I have a chance to buy one for a pretty good deal. It will be replacing a klipsch
sub-12, so it will probably be a noticeable difference. I have a 12x20 room with 9' ceiling, Would one ff5 be enough to fill the room?

Cabinet size isn't really too much of a factor. I was considering psa 15" ported sub, but then I came across the FF5.
Yep still have them. Look, another year-and-a-half has gone by with no negative impact on the performance and no visible sag on the passive radiator.

I think it's fair to say that the guys who made those comments about that, years ago, were wrong. I certainly haven't forgotten about those discussions though.

But the long story short is you should get a 15 inch ported sub since you don't not have any space issue. In the years since I wrote that review, some great 15-inch ported options have popped up.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:

Agree with above. I think the FF5 is a good option when space is at a premium and you can't fit a standard ported sub. If space is not an issue you will get much better extension and output at the low end from a current 15" ported PSA or other equivalent ported subs.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2 | miniDSP 2x4 HD
post #125 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Agree with above. I think the FF5 is a good option when space is at a premium and you can't fit a standard ported sub. If space is not an issue you will get much better extension and output at the low end from a current 15" ported PSA or other equivalent ported subs.
Yeah the PSA 15V is the bang-for-buck champion 15" ported sub that I've reviewed.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #126 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah the PSA 15V is the bang-for-buck champion 15" ported sub that I've reviewed.

At what price do think a ff5 would be a too good to pass up deal? I could use it or possibly trade or sell it towards a big ported sub.

Its in a bundle with 2 revel c583 ceiling speakers. I was thinking about using those for atmos.
post #127 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
At what price do think a ff5 would be a too good to pass up deal? I could use it or possibly trade or sell it towards a big ported sub.

Its in a bundle with 2 revel c583 ceiling speakers. I was thinking about using those for atmos.
I don't have much insight into the used market, the usual advice is to use eBay as a guide. But, there's no FF5s listed as sold. I'd say 1/2 retail price is the "too good" point.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #128 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I don't have much insight into the used market, the usual advice is to use eBay as a guide. But, there's no FF5s listed as sold. I'd say 1/2 retail price is the "too good" point.

Dang that's right about where it's at. The revel speakers are even more off. It's from a guy thats selling the last stuff from closing his shop. I'd list the price but if I decide to try and trade or sell them that could go against my negotiations
post #129 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Dang that's right about where it's at. The revel speakers are even more off. It's from a guy thats selling the last stuff from closing his shop. I'd list the price but if I decide to try and trade or sell them that could go against my negotiations
Only you can decide how much you want to spend. If it was me and primarily for HT use I would want a sub that does very well in the 16hz-25hz range. Something like the PSA V1510 would be significantly better than the FF5 in that regard. That's the range you feel more than hear but really adds to the enjoyment of movies that have LFE content in that range.
imagic likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2 | miniDSP 2x4 HD
post #130 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Only you can decide how much you want to spend. If it was me and primarily for HT use I would want a sub that does very well in the 16hz-25hz range. Something like the PSA V1510 would be significantly better than the FF5 in that regard. That's the range you feel more than hear but really adds to the enjoyment of movies that have LFE content in that range.
^^^ This... for movies, you need more displacement than what one FF5 offers. For music, it's got plenty of power for kick-drum chest-slam and feeling the vibes of a bass. But the drones and sweeps in movies demand more extension and more displacement to render properly and as noted by you and others, today's best ported 15's play that game very well.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #131 of 141 Old 02-13-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
^^^ This... for movies, you need more displacement than what one FF5 offers. For music, it's got plenty of power for kick-drum chest-slam and feeling the vibes of a bass. But the drones and sweeps in movies demand more extension and more displacement to render properly and as noted by you and others, today's best ported 15's play that game very well.

I picked up the sub. My goal is still to have a 15" ported sub when I can find a deal on one. All I can say is WOW that thing is small. You could put it almost anywhere. Would it work as a second near feild sub? I know it's not good to mix two different subs, but as small as it is, it seems like that would be a good role.

Last edited by jeffreynmandy; 02-13-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #132 of 141 Old 02-20-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Well the goldenear sub didn't last long. I traded it a few days ago for a PSA v1500. For its size the goldenear competes with it in some ways, but your right. That ported 15" really gets low and has the rumble you want for a home theater.

It's huge though, my son said it looks like a mini fridge.
imagic likes this.
post #133 of 141 Old 02-20-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 3286 Post(s)
Liked: 11821
Quote:
Well the goldenear sub didn't last long. I traded it a few days ago for a PSA v1500. For its size the goldenear competes with it in some ways, but your right. That ported 15" really gets low and has the rumble you want for a home theater.

It's huge though, my son said it looks like a mini fridge.
Just a heads up, if you haven't already be sure to contact me so we can get the remaining portion of the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty transferred into your name. Oh, and if you have ANY setup questions too of course.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
jamiebosco likes this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #134 of 141 Old 05-26-2020, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
The choice to go with a down-firing PR has to do with slot-loading the output (according to GoldenEar). I can understand the concern about the effects of gravity. I'll keep an eye on that over time.

Hi, Its been 6 years and if you still have this sub, any PR sag issue? Where is this made (COO)?

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #135 of 141 Old 05-27-2020, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
Hi, Its been 6 years and if you still have this sub, any PR sag issue? Where is this made (COO)?
My friend has the old FF5s now. No obvious sag that I can tell, last I checked... but I can't measure it precisely. Thanks for bringing it up, I remember those discussions about PR sag. The subs still work, no issue with the amps or anything. Not sure where it was made.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-27-2020 at 03:49 AM.
post #136 of 141 Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

In other GoldenEar related news: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-l...goldenear.html

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #137 of 141 Old 05-27-2020, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I would be very interested to see this compared to the SVS SB-3000 given the similar price and size. Seems like a great solution for those who need a compact subwoofer.
post #138 of 141 Old 05-27-2020, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevansmusic View Post
I would be very interested to see this compared to the SVS SB-3000 given the similar price and size. Seems like a great solution for those who need a compact subwoofer.
IMO at this point the SB3000 is the better sub. Plays deeper, better fit and finish, has built-in programmable DSP and it can be ordered online or bought from a dealer.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #139 of 141 Old 05-27-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
My friend has the old FF5s now. No obvious sag that I can tell, last I checked... but I can't measure it precisely. Thanks for bringing it up, I remember those discussions about PR sag. The subs still work, no issue with the amps or anything. Not sure where it was made.

Mark, that’s always my reservation with downward firing PRs. Maybe they can use materials to get away from that issue, but there’s another way, don’t make a system with a down firing PR in the first place. Yet I still see them occasionally. I believe REL does one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #140 of 141 Old 05-27-2020, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Mark, that’s always my reservation with downward firing PRs. Maybe they can use materials to get away from that issue, but there’s another way, don’t make a system with a down firing PR in the first place. Yet I still see them occasionally. I believe REL does one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ELAC 3010/3020/3030 subs are also front-firing active driver, down-firing passive.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #141 of 141 Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
IMO at this point the SB3000 is the better sub. Plays deeper, better fit and finish, has built-in programmable DSP and it can be ordered online or bought from a dealer.
I was looking at the ForceField 5 when shopping for a high WAF compact sub with good output for under 1K. Only other sub that really stood out is the HSU ULS-15 MK2 but thats a good bit bigger. Ended up with the SB-3000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
forcefield 5 , frontpage , Goldenear , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page