eD sub died - trying to think outside the box! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WhskyTangoFoxtrt

post #1 of 13 Old 10-28-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
eD sub died - trying to think outside the box!

Hi guys - my eD sub's plate amp was recently trashed by our 2-year-old (long story involving the port and a sippy cup). I've looked into replacing the plate amp, but I can't find one with the same cutout size, and I'm not much of a woodworker. I'd absolutely love to just toss the old sub and throw a new PB-1000 in there, but WAF is exceptionally low on a $500 purchase right now. So, I'm trying to think outside the box.

I have a pair of Klipsch RF-7's that each have dual 10's, powered by a Denon x4000. I realized that I have four 10" woofers in my room right now - is there a better way I can drive those to "replace" a sub, at least temporarily? I could probably get away with $200 or $300 for another amp, etc. Or would it make more sense to just re-run Audyssey with a 5.0 setup, and let it adjust accordingly?

Throw some ideas at me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
which ED sub do you have at the moment? You don't really need a plate amp, you can still use an outboard amp.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 3049 Post(s)
Liked: 10457
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
Hi guys - my eD sub's plate amp was recently trashed by our 2-year-old (long story involving the port and a sippy cup). I've looked into replacing the plate amp, but I can't find one with the same cutout size, and I'm not much of a woodworker. I'd absolutely love to just toss the old sub and throw a new PB-1000 in there, but WAF is exceptionally low on a $500 purchase right now. So, I'm trying to think outside the box.

I have a pair of Klipsch RF-7's that each have dual 10's, powered by a Denon x4000. I realized that I have four 10" woofers in my room right now - is there a better way I can drive those to "replace" a sub, at least temporarily? I could probably get away with $200 or $300 for another amp, etc. Or would it make more sense to just re-run Audyssey with a 5.0 setup, and let it adjust accordingly?

Throw some ideas at me!
Which sub and how big is the amp plate?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

The sub is an eD A2-300, and the plate amp was labeled LT-200. The cutout size is 7.25" square - plate amp is 8.25" square.

I've found a couple of plate amps on Parts Express that are close, but I'm not much of a woodworker, and I'm worried I wouldn't get a good seal if I tried to fabricate/modify something.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-28-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The sub is an eD A2-300, and the plate amp was labeled LT-200. The cutout size is 7.25" square - plate amp is 8.25" square.

I've found a couple of plate amps on Parts Express that are close, but I'm not much of a woodworker, and I'm worried I wouldn't get a good seal if I tried to fabricate/modify something.
I'll check around my house and see if anything matches. You can also consider just modifying the plate amp you have so a pair of the binding posts on the outside just pass the single directly to the sub terminals. Then you can use an outboard amp connected to the old ED amp(still mounted to the sub) with speaker wiring.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #6 of 13 Old 10-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had this same exact sub for the better part of a decade now. Been real happy with it. Hope you find a solution to your problem.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR7008.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #7 of 13 Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I'll check around my house and see if anything matches. You can also consider just modifying the plate amp you have so a pair of the binding posts on the outside just pass the single directly to the sub terminals. Then you can use an outboard amp connected to the old ED amp(still mounted to the sub) with speaker wiring.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sorry, nothing I have is close. I even checked our PSA amps. I have seen your amp before though. It looks like something stock rebadged. Let me think about this today...I might be able to come up with the exact amp if I can remember where I saw it.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #8 of 13 Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Sorry, nothing I have is close. I even checked our PSA amps. I have seen your amp before though. It looks like something stock rebadged. Let me think about this today...I might be able to come up with the exact amp if I can remember where I saw it.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Great, thank you!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You might consider contacting @daveds50 about repairing or replacing the amp.
Archaea likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-29-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great, thank you!

Sorry, struck out(so far). One idea is to grab the inuke 1000 ($149) and use one channel(300 watts) to power the sub. But it will have loud cooling fans so you'll want to keep the amp away from the seating positions. Usually you would want some control of the limiters, EQing, etc when replacing a plate amp but from what I have seen the eD stuff wasn't very "fine tuned" in that regard anyway..

Otherwise, check with Dave(as Whiskey just linked). I'll keep looking as time allows too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #11 of 13 Old 10-30-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 630 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3923 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
pull the amp, seal the hole with a board, some caulk, and a binding post plate.

Buy an iNuke DSP 1000.

It'll be a cheap fix, and will perform better than any plate amp you can buy for similar cost. You can use the DSP to protect the driver by limiting voltage (how many watts the sub receives), or by tailoring EQ and HPF.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #12 of 13 Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys - ordered a new SVS PB-1000 today, so this thread is a bit of a moot point now.

However, while I was staring at the disassembled eD in the garage today, wondering what the heck I'd do with it, something struck me. What if I found a decent used sub amp on eBay, patched the cutout, and ran the eD along with the PB-1000 as a pair? Would they totally clash with each other, or might it be worth it? My HT room is very large and could definitely use the extra oomph.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-11-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 172
You can make different subs play nice with each other, but it requires a bit of work with level and phase matching. Not super hard, but you have to do some research to know what you're doing.

Television: Vizio E70iA3
Processor: Emotiva MC700
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 2200 LR Sub: Danley DTS-10Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page