Artison debuts worlds smallest line up of subwoofers - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #61 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
But what if everything was the same, except the name. Would you say it's a great set of headphones? Probably not,
Definitely not. We don't care about the name, only the sound. The sound of the Beats sucks, pure and simple. That said, if they sold for the $29.95 that they're worth then we would have no complaint. But they don't, so they're not going to get any love here. The same for Bose. It's not the mediocre sound of their products that we object to, it's the price being three times what they're worth. Where both Beats and Bose are concerned it's a matter of bang for your buck. They don't have any. Neither does the subject of this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Bill, I greatly respect your knowledge. Even though I don't know you on a personal level. But I can see it in your post. But at the end of all this. I still prefer my beats headphones. Even if you think I'm a fool.
post #63 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Bill, I greatly respect your knowledge. Even though I don't know you on a personal level. But I can see it in your post. But at the end of all this. I still prefer my beats headphones. Even if you think I'm a fool.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that. While not my cup coffee, the Beats are considered stylish and have exaggerated bass that appeal to a majority of consumers. You could probably make the case that it is similar to many AVS systems with the subwoofer(s) adjusted hot (6-12 dB) to create a house curve. Like the tiny subwoofer, it has its place and apparently lots are willing to shell out the shekels to buy them. Maybe not so much for the Nano, as its Kickstarter might be lagging a bit to hit its lofty goal.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post
the Beats...have exaggerated bass...
They don't have exaggerated bass, because they're passive components, and as such can't add anything to the signal supplied to them. To give the impression of having more bass they attenuate the mids and highs. I guess that's OK if you don't want to hear what's actually on the recording, but if you do then you need to look elsewhere.
post #65 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
They don't have exaggerated bass, because they're passive components, and as such can't add anything to the signal supplied to them. To give the impression of having more bass they attenuate the mids and highs. I guess that's OK if you don't want to hear what's actually on the recording, but if you do then you need to look elsewhere.
Hey Bill:

Thanks for clearing that up. Your statement is more accurate. I've never listened to these headphones, but I frequently hear and read from advocates that they like them because of the style and the bass. Whether real or apparent because of attenuation of mid and high frequencies, it probably doesn't matter as Dr. Dre has sold so many of these he's probably paid back his student loan on that PHD in spades. I would suspect most that own a pair probably listen to compressed or streamed music that might lop off higher frequencies anyway and really aren't concerned with fidelity, as is probably the case with someone interested in a subwoofer as big as a baloney sandwich.
post #66 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi,

I have to agree totally about the general consensus about Beats Headphones - they are just pure & utter crap for the money - I have tried many Beats model due to colleagues jumping on the Beats bandwagon & marketing hype.

Very interestingly, I was trying out some of my various colleagues headphones against some quite expensive Beats models. One of them had a very cheap JVC model costing about £20 in the UK ($30 in USA approx) & these cheapie JVC's (HA-S400B) were far superior to the expensive Beats Headphones another colleague had - just goes to show (to me at least) that Beats are 99% marketing BS & 1% "something else".

It is next to impossible to but a bad set of headphones these days - the market in inundated with some really exceptional makes - AKG, Audio Technica, Sennheiser etc - the list is very long so I am rather sad to see true quality & performance models from decent companies lose out to crap like Beats - just my opinion but for those who like/prefer Beats my advice give a quality brand a decent try for a while & then see if your tastes change.

Bazzy!
post #67 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I guess I'm part of the 1%.
post #68 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I guess I'm part of the 1%.
Hi,

Well, as long as you are happy then I guess that is all that matters.

A very long while ago (decades!), I bought Bose speakers thinking they were the best thing since sliced bread due to a) falling for the marketing hype & b) that marketing hype reinforcing my limited knowledge & experience of sound & loudspeakers at the time.

In time & after exposure to a number of other established brands, I soon learnt to appreciate the difference between in SQ between the Bose I had & other more reputable makes.

Bazzy!
post #69 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post
Hey Bill:

Thanks for clearing that up. Your statement is more accurate. I've never listened to these headphones, but I frequently hear and read from advocates that they like them because of the style and the bass. Whether real or apparent because of attenuation of mid and high frequencies, it probably doesn't matter as Dr. Dre has sold so many of these he's probably paid back his student loan on that PHD in spades. I would suspect most that own a pair probably listen to compressed or streamed music that might lop off higher frequencies anyway and really aren't concerned with fidelity, as is probably the case with someone interested in a subwoofer as big as a baloney sandwich.
I doubt Dre ever had anything to do with them, other than allowing his name to be used to promote them. Without his, or some other rappers name on them, they'd have never sold a single pair at the price they get for them. One of the co-founders of the Beats company was Jimmy Iovine. Can you imagine how well they'd have sold if they were called Beats by Jimmy Iovine?
That's capitalism at work. Take a mediocre product, put a famous person's name on it, sell it for a silly price, cash in big time. Maybe Artison should put Meghan Trainor's name on their little wonder sub.
lovinthehd likes this.
post #70 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
I doubt Dre ever had anything to do with them, other than allowing his name to be used to promote them. Without his, or some other rappers name on them, they'd have never sold a single pair at the price they get for them. One of the co-founders of the Beats company was Jimmy Iovine. Can you imagine how well they'd have sold if they were called Beats by Jimmy Iovine?
That's capitalism at work. Take a mediocre product, put a famous person's name on it, sell it for a silly price, cash in big time. Maybe Artison should put Meghan Trainor's name on their little wonder sub.
What, no comment on the "PHD"? Wonder what does PHD in his case stand for? Phone-y Hi Def?
post #71 of 83 Old 11-07-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Nothing stopped a 'credible' brand of headphones from getting a hip endorser.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #72 of 83 Old 11-08-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 10962
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post
Did anyone watch the video? He's bragging about how it's vibration free.... I enjoy watching my drinks ripple on my end table. No ripple=no bass. Sorry, this is for suckers. Powerful tight bass out of 2 6.5" woofers? Do they have 300mm of linear x-max with 150 watts per driver? No way, not now, not ever.

I have a pinnacle subsonic in my garage for 2.1 system and it sounds amazing for a little guy. At 1m I recorded 113db of output playing music with a spl meter and @ 3m it was hitting 101db. my garage is over 4000^3. For 180.00 it was well worth the price for what I was needing. Is it worth 700-1000.00 hell no! Not much output below 35-40hz but it does a great job with music.
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by basshead81; 11-08-2014 at 10:32 AM.
post #73 of 83 Old 10-29-2015, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
Yes, I agree. These would be perfect for a bathroom or a small bedroom system. They would probably be a nice step up for someone with a Bose system as well.
Obviously, these are for the same people using soundbars. Some audio, decent, unobtrusive.

Forest, meet trees.

Quote:
Typical AVS response. Obviously the enclosure and tuning affects the sound.

Last edited by DeuceNine; 10-29-2015 at 01:36 PM.
post #74 of 83 Old 10-29-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Digging up an ol' thread, eh, DeuceNine?

If there are people here that know what they're talking about, Bill Fitzmaurice is one of them.

But hey,

Ratman, Alan P, Hopinater and 2 others like this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #75 of 83 Old 11-28-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Brent Butterworth doesn't think the Artison is all snake oil.

http://hometheaterreview.com/artison...ofer-reviewed/

I need a good tiny sub (for music, not floor-shaking movie effects), that costs far less than this thing. I wish I had needed one when the Pinnacle Subsonic could be had for less than $200. Anybody have a recommendation in that price range?
post #76 of 83 Old 11-28-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post
Brent Butterworth doesn't think the Artison is all snake oil.
Really?

His measurements prove that it works no better than a typical bookshelf speaker. For that matter it wouldn't be at all difficult to find bookshelves that work much better.
post #77 of 83 Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bill--

Right after the graph you pasted, Butterworth says: "The CEA-2010A results for the Nano 1 are lower than most of the subwoofers I review, which of course are much larger. However, compared with the few subs that play in its niche--i.e., ultra-compact models designed for high performance--the output is impressive. For example, the Sunfire Atmos subwoofer, which is slightly larger, delivers, by my measurements, a 40-63 Hz average output of 108.4 dB and a 20-31.5 Hz average of 81.8 dB. Compare that with 109.2 dB/86.0 dB for the Nano 1."

The Sunfire Atmos is currently $1200 at Crutchfield and Newegg. I didn't post to be the Nano's defender or even to imply it can compete with a "real" subwoofer, I'm just saying that it seems to compare favorably with others in its class. If what you're saying is that that class shouldn't really be called "sub" woofers, I can't say I disagree.

As for your comment about bookshelf speakers, currently in a vacation house I'm using an ancient pair of these as my main speakers for music:

http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc65/65827.pdf

I'm actually not unhappy with the way they sound other than no output below 80 hz. I either need a tiny subwoofer (WAF) or if you could recommend a very small (and inexpensive, like less than $300/pr) bookshelf speaker that would give me some good bass and eliminate the need for a sub, I'm all ears. Thanks!
post #78 of 83 Old 11-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post
OMG. Hilarious.
post #79 of 83 Old 11-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
Nothing stopped a 'credible' brand of headphones from getting a hip endorser.
Not for nothing, but Dr. Dre was the co founder of Beats and pocketed a cool $600 million + from the sale to Sony. He is far from just a "hip endorser."
post #80 of 83 Old 11-29-2015, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubwerks View Post
Not for nothing, but Dr. Dre was the co founder of Beats and pocketed a cool $600 million + from the sale to Sony. He is far from just a "hip endorser."
....well, founded along with two other hipsters, will.i.am and Jimmy Iovine.....I suppose other hipsters who have endorsed could be just that
post #81 of 83 Old 11-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
....well, founded along with two other hipsters, will.i.am and Jimmy Iovine.....I suppose other hipsters who have endorsed could be just that
Yeah, you don't make a billion dollars being a hip endorser. Ask Alan Thicke if he has a billion dollars.
post #82 of 83 Old 11-30-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Endorsers are people like various sports figures, personalities in the music and entertainment industries, etc. beats was sold to Apple not Sony.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #83 of 83 Old 11-30-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you don't make a billion dollars being a hip endorser. Ask Alan Thicke if he has a billion dollars.
Do you understand the difference between an endorser and a founder of a company? Alan Thicke might appeal to the older segment of the baby boomer crowd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page