Please recommend a subwoofer for my setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan P

post #1 of 10 Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Please recommend a subwoofer for my setup

Hello,

Just recently inherited a home theater system and got it installed in my house. I realize some of this equipment is kinda old but i am looking for a subwoofer recommendation.

Equipment:

2 Klipsch KLF 30's
1 Klipsch Epic CF2 (center speaker)
2 RS52
2 RS62
no subwoofer

All powered by a Pioneer SC-05

I am just not getting the bass that I want out of the KLF 30's and was looking for a subwoofer. I want something that is really going to shake the room since its a dedicated theater room. I attached some pics below. Can anyone recommend a subwoofer that well rock this theater but not my wallet? looking to spend 600 or less but I have a little flexibility. Also would love if anyone could let me know how to get more bass out of the KLF 30's that would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	350698   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	350706  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-05-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2704 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
For pre-built subs the best $600 sub is the Rythmik LVR-12 right at $600 delivered. If you can spend more then spend more. Two subs almost always work better than one.

Outlaw Audio will be having their top sub on sale soon for $599 shipped. That will be the best value for pre-built subs when available.

Otherwise check SVS, PSA, Reaction Audio, HSU and Rythmik for other choices.

If you are reasonably handy you can always try a DIY project. There are quite a few kits available. All parts included you only need assemble it. You'll get the best value with a DIY sub. There is a dedicated DIY forum here that will be helpful if you go that direction.

As for your setup, I would first pull the speakers off the wall at least 6" or so. I would also angle them slightly so that they are facing the center of the front sofa. If you are seating in that position you would be looking straight down the throat of the horn.

I would also place a wedge of some type under the center so that it points up so that again you would be looking right down the throat of the horn.

And in general there will be issues with bass response for those seats that are right up against the back wall.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 10 Old 11-05-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6244 Post(s)
Liked: 5545
Kini gives great advice. I'd just like to ask a couple questions:

What are the dimensions of your room?

What are those speakers sitting on the shelf on the right in the second pic?

Is that a surround back or side surround mounted on the wall in the back? Is the other one mounted on the other side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Is that a surround back or side surround mounted on the wall in the back? Is the other one mounted on the other side?
The speakers on the shelf aren't hooked up yet but they will be soon one will be on the other side of the room underneath a bar that I am installing.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
For pre-built subs the best $600 sub is the Rythmik LVR-12 right at $600 delivered. If you can spend more then spend more. Two subs almost always work better than one.

Outlaw Audio will be having their top sub on sale soon for $599 shipped. That will be the best value for pre-built subs when available.

If you are reasonably handy you can always try a DIY project. There are quite a few kits available. All parts included you only need assemble it. You'll get the best value with a DIY sub. There is a dedicated DIY forum here that will be helpful if you go that direction.

As for your setup, I would first pull the speakers off the wall at least 6" or so. I would also angle them slightly so that they are facing the center of the front sofa. If you are seating in that position you would be looking straight down the throat of the horn.

I would also place a wedge of some type under the center so that it points up so that again you would be looking right down the throat of the horn.

And in general there will be issues with bass response for those seats that are right up against the back wall.
Thank you for the advice. as you can see I am kind of a novice when it comes to the setup. When you say pull the speakers off the wall... are you referring the large speakers in the front?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

One more question... where do you think the best place to put the subwoofer is with this setup? I was going to put it up front next to the center speakers as that would be the easiest place for me to run the wires and power. If I did two I would put them on both sides of the center channel.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 8981
There is no predetermined place to put the sub. Best option is to do a sub crawl(google is your friend ) and place the sub accordingly. 9 out of 10 times the sub will sound the worst where you visually think it should be placed.

Rythmik LV12

Outlaw EX(when on sale)

HSU VTF-2

All good options in that price range.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2704 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post
Thank you for the advice. as you can see I am kind of a novice when it comes to the setup. When you say pull the speakers off the wall... are you referring the large speakers in the front?
Yes but just the left and right. The center speaker can stay where it's at but put a wedge under it so that it points at your head when you are seated.

Also toe in the left and right towards the center seat in the front row.

As for bass from your speakers you should be getting plenty. I have the RF62s with the 6.5 inch woofers and I get a lot of bass. Enough so that movies would sound pretty good without a sub.

You may be sitting in a null (an area where for whatever reasons the bass drops off). Someone like basshead who responded just above would be able to explain it better.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #9 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6244 Post(s)
Liked: 5545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post
The speakers on the shelf aren't hooked up yet but they will be soon one will be on the other side of the room underneath a bar that I am installing.
Well, thanks for answering one of my questions.
basshead81 likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-06-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Before you do any of that.......... PAINT the ceiling and walls a very Dark color!!!!!!!

ok I feel better now

Nashou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page