Buttkickers with different levels per chair - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-08-2015, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Quill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Buttkickers with different levels per chair

Hi All,

I've googled and searched, and I can't find an answer...hoping for help.

I have 6 buttkickers, each 3 seat row wired like this:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/configu..._3BK4-1000.pdf

from the L&R of a behringer iNuke 3000DSP running dual mono.

The first chair in each series gets huge response....and the last one gets a slight vibration if you put your hand right on the transducer...

So...

Is my amp overmatched?
Is my wiring wrong?
Do the Home Theatre gods just hate me right now?

Any ideas or help you can offer would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Q

edit - they are buttkicker bk4-4 advances.

Last edited by Quill; 01-08-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Quill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Member
 
SWavePro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
Hi All,

I've googled and searched, and I can't find an answer...hoping for help.

I have 6 buttkickers, each 3 seat row wired like this:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/configu..._3BK4-1000.pdf

from the L&R of a behringer iNuke 3000DSP running dual mono.

The first chair in each series gets huge response....and the last one gets a slight vibration if you put your hand right on the transducer...

So...

Is my amp overmatched?
Is my wiring wrong?
Do the Home Theatre gods just hate me right now?

Any ideas or help you can offer would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Q
The wiring diagram they have listed is called "series." What you may want to try is to wire each individually to the Behringer and make sure they all work properly.

I just did some research, and from what it looks like the Behringer iNuke 3000DSP is way under powered for the way you have those transducers wired. I will attach a file and try them like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	468114  
SWavePro is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Quill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWavePro View Post
The wiring diagram they have listed is called "series." What you may want to try is to wire each individually to the Behringer and make sure they all work properly.

I just did some research, and from what it looks like the Behringer iNuke 3000DSP is way under powered for the way you have those transducers wired. I will attach a file and try them like that.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Quill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 01-09-2015, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Quill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Your comment about the amp being underpowered helped me decide to get a second iNuke 3000DSP. So assuming two amps and six transducers, how would you suggest I wire?

Thanks in advance!!
Quill is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,492
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
in the attached thumbnail, if you review the series/parallel pic at PE
maybe you'll want to put the first set of 3 into a complete series/parallel wiring set up
that may be the answer wrt to amp load / semi dead shaker, which need testing apparently
that 3rd shaker wired as that , kind of out of the loop . . IDK
I split the output of my Dayton 100 into 2 such loops, 2 shakers per loop
one for each aura under the each seat
the second for the 2 across the back of the seats
curious about how your final configuration . .

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-09-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,492
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
being that the most advanced I am wrt to electricity is that i'm good at paying the bill


it occurred to me that 3 shakers hooked up in a series/parallel configuration will do something to the overall impedance load for the amp


maybe some other more clued in members here or the folks at PE can help wrt to figuring that out and how your amps can handle it


with 2 3000's, and 4 channels, you could run 2 off each channel, cause we know how to do that, and just add 2 more shakers for the 4 channel.


what could possibly go wrong with that ?
LOL

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is online now  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Member
 
SWavePro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
Your comment about the amp being underpowered helped me decide to get a second iNuke 3000DSP. So assuming two amps and six transducers, how would you suggest I wire?

Thanks in advance!!
I would use one amplifier per each row of seats. To make sure that the extra amp will work you can wire up 2 of the BK in series and 1 straight to the other channel. You may have to turn up the volume on the left channel of the amp to compensate for the increased impedance from the series connection. I would try that with the amp you have now and see if they will now all play at the same level. Then, if that does work, as soon as you other amp comes in place it on the next row wired exactly the same, and if needed with the left channel gain turned up some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	469545  
SWavePro is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2015, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 546
How are the buttkickers mounted to the chairs? It's not directly related to the question you're asking, but if you can attach the buttkickers directly to the frame of the chair, that offers the maximum efficiency in terms of the tactile energy being transmitted directly to the seat. And of course, make sure the isolators are being used
tezster is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-10-2015, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Quill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
How are the buttkickers mounted to the chairs? It's not directly related to the question you're asking, but if you can attach the buttkickers directly to the frame of the chair, that offers the maximum efficiency in terms of the tactile energy being transmitted directly to the seat. And of course, make sure the isolators are being used
Each is mounted to the frame of each chair, and isolator are installed across the board.

It's weird but the first chair in each series works well, and the last one only purrs (felt through your hand on the BK). I've got another amp on the way, and in the meantime I'll wire up this amp to only three chairs per the above and see how it works.

Thanks,

Q
Quill is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Member
 
AltaHomeTheatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
Each is mounted to the frame of each chair, and isolator are installed across the board.

It's weird but the first chair in each series works well, and the last one only purrs (felt through your hand on the BK). I've got another amp on the way, and in the meantime I'll wire up this amp to only three chairs per the above and see how it works.

Thanks,

Q
Quill,
Where are you purchasing the iNukes from? I also want to get one or two to use with Crowson tranducers.
Thanks
AltaHomeTheatre is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-12-2015, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Quill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Long & McQuade and axe music will both order them in with a 3- 6 week lead time, but I was in a rush so I went with avshop.ca.

They each stock some of the non-dsp units.

Q
Quill is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Member
 
AltaHomeTheatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
Long & McQuade and axe music will both order them in with a 3- 6 week lead time, but I was in a rush so I went with avshop.ca.

They each stock some of the non-dsp units.

Q
Thanks, I hoped you knew of a local place that stocked them, although I am not in a rush.
AltaHomeTheatre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off