• 1 Post By kevings
  • 1 Post By duc135

post #1 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3rd sub or sell one I have

I have done some upgrading and items are on the way. We bought a Yamaha RX-V577 and now gonna give the junky speakers to the kid. (home theater in a box) Anyhow I have bought some Infinity Primus speakers. two p363, two 163's and a pc351. It should really rock even with the two subs I have. One, I don't even recall who makes it but it's an 8 inch and the other is a Cerwin vega 10 inch. I don't know the model but it wasn't very expensive. Right now I am into the infinity's for 530.00 and have about 3-400 left to spend for a sub if I want. I do plan to pick up the speakers next week and see how it sounds with the subs I presently have (Being shipped to a USA postal box I use) If I were to buy another sub, should I go 12 inch or ? Room size is about 20 feet x 20 with 18 foot vaulted ceiling. and there is a 12 x 15 dining room off to the side. I am also thinking about adding two more p363 when they go back on sale. Any input or questions would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Usually people will go from a single, to duals then four then eight etc doubling the number of subs when increasing subwoofage. Three should be better than two but having uniformity of type of sub is generally recommended. Given the budget your options may mean it's best to get a third sub and see how it goes unless you could get something decent for the sub(s) you already have. Sounds like they wouldn't bring much $$$ though so may be better to stick with them if you're already happy and go for a third (not sure which sub to reommend at the pricepoint).
post #3 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
I have done some upgrading and items are on the way. We bought a Yamaha RX-V577 and now gonna give the junky speakers to the kid. (home theater in a box) Anyhow I have bought some Infinity Primus speakers. two p363, two 163's and a pc351. It should really rock even with the two subs I have. One, I don't even recall who makes it but it's an 8 inch and the other is a Cerwin vega 10 inch. I don't know the model but it wasn't very expensive. Right now I am into the infinity's for 530.00 and have about 3-400 left to spend for a sub if I want. I do plan to pick up the speakers next week and see how it sounds with the subs I presently have (Being shipped to a USA postal box I use) If I were to buy another sub, should I go 12 inch or ? Room size is about 20 feet x 20 with 18 foot vaulted ceiling. and there is a 12 x 15 dining room off to the side. I am also thinking about adding two more p363 when they go back on sale. Any input or questions would be welcomed.
If i was you...I'd give both the 8 inch and the 10 inch sub to the kid. I'm sure the kid would like a little boom boom too, right?

With 400 to spend, I'd pickup 2 dayton sub1500's. ( check parts express.com. They are powered 15 inch ported subs and are 200 bucks a piece. ) Compared to what your use to 2 of these would be a night and day difference. 2 of them will also smooth out your bass response which is always a good thing.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-634

Now if your willing to build a sub yourself you could end up with even higher performance per your budget. If this sounds interesting to you, head over to the DIY section.

Truthfully though, if you want instant gratification, and dont want to get your hands dirty, the 2 Daytons 15's, would work nicely for you.
newc33 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
I'll second Kevin's first recommendation to donate the two existing subs. You won't hear or feel them in that size room unless you're sitting on them. I don't want to sound like a bass snob, but you've got over 10Kft^3 of space you need to pressurize. You're best bet would be DIY. I'm not that familiar with retail or ID subs so I can't make any recommendations on that front. Kevin's suggestion for the PE Dayton subs makes sense also. If none of that is good enough for you, rumor has it that Kevin builds very nice 18" coffee table subs.
kevings likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 507
@duc135

Just wanted to say thx for the compliment, and that I hope life has been treating you well.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2015, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

That is certainly a very nice coffee table, I have only ever built one box and used a circular saw and jig saw to do it. It was never meant to show as it was in the trunk of a car so never did a 100% quality job. I have a 12 inch sliding compound saw and jigsaw but no router or brad nailer. I did look at the Dayton subs and while they look nice I can't begin to imagine how they sound / feel. Once I get the speakers I have bought delivered, I will set them up and see how the subs I have work with them. I think it's only a matter of days before I order some Dayton subs. Being in Canada we can only bring so much back in one trip to the USA without being sent in to pay duty or taxes. I have brought back upwards of 500 and be let through. 850 got me sent in. And I know the wife will want food for our dogs along with some groceries. Even with the speakers I am at 530 so will know more on Monday. I thank you all for your advice.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
@duc135

Just wanted to say thx for the compliment, and that I hope life has been treating you well.
Nothing I said was undeserved. That is one nice looking coffee table sub you built. I just wish I had the imagination you did. I can only copy designs. I don't have the talent to create my own. I still have four more 15" drivers to put in my room. Rebuilding the two existing 18"s and two 15"s is not out of the question either. I was thinking of making two of the new 15"s into small ottomans to add usable seating space in my room.

As for how life is treating me? I can't really complain. All I have is first world problems Thanks for asking. Hopefully we can meet up again at the next GTG.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I have most of the speakers here now and set up. Right now it sounds pretty good. I did buy two more p363's that were on sale at Fry's and they will be delivered next Tuesday along with two Dayton sub-1500's. I did look at the two subs I have, One is the samsung 8" home theater in a box sub. Lol. The other is not the 10" like I thought but it is a 12" Cerwin Vega 120 watt sub. Could not find any specs online for it. Will update once I get the rest up and wired.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-08-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

well I bought two dayton subs and have them at home now. Still have two more p363's to hook up but I think one sub has a problem. It does not work. I get a green light on it and when I turn the gain down the green light dims with it. The other sub does not do that. Gonna have to call parts express and see what they want me to do. I don't know if I pay return shipping or not. Anyone know ? I could suggest to them swapping amps out of subs and try to determine if it is the sub or amp that has the problem. If it is an amp I'd rather ship that back to them and have them ship me a new one rather than sending the whole sub back to Ohio. That would cut down on shipping costs as I am 7 miles from the USA and can see the Pacific ocean from by sundeck. . I presently have the one Dayton 1500 hooked up with the 12 inch Cerwin Vega and I can definitely hear a difference in sound when I watched Fury. I can actually feel vibrations through the floor. I do have some new cabling, splitters and speaker wires enroute from monoprice but don't get that till next week. This thing is a work in progress and progress is crossing the border every 10-14 days to pick stuff up.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-08-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I had issues with products from Parts-Express they paid for return shipping.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-09-2015, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
well I bought two dayton subs and have them at home now. Still have two more p363's to hook up but I think one sub has a problem. It does not work. I get a green light on it and when I turn the gain down the green light dims with it. The other sub does not do that. Gonna have to call parts express and see what they want me to do. I don't know if I pay return shipping or not. Anyone know ? I could suggest to them swapping amps out of subs and try to determine if it is the sub or amp that has the problem. If it is an amp I'd rather ship that back to them and have them ship me a new one rather than sending the whole sub back to Ohio. That would cut down on shipping costs as I am 7 miles from the USA and can see the Pacific ocean from by sundeck. . I presently have the one Dayton 1500 hooked up with the 12 inch Cerwin Vega and I can definitely hear a difference in sound when I watched Fury. I can actually feel vibrations through the floor. I do have some new cabling, splitters and speaker wires enroute from monoprice but don't get that till next week. This thing is a work in progress and progress is crossing the border every 10-14 days to pick stuff up.
Wish I had caught this earlier, when the Klipsch sub-12 was on sale for $199.99. The sub-12 is a much better sub and much more powerful than the Dayton sub-1500. The Dayton 15" is fairly underpowered (150w) and plays a bit sluggish and muddy. I had both the Dayton sub-1500 and Dayton sub-1200 and preferred the 12. Returned the sub-1500 and, at one time, owned 3 of the sub-1200's. When the sub-1200 was $100, that was a pretty good deal for a entry sub. When I bought the sub-1500 it was priced at $150. IMO, it's not even worth that, let alone $200.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-18-2015, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Wish I had caught this earlier, when the Klipsch sub-12 was on sale for $199.99. The sub-12 is a much better sub and much more powerful than the Dayton sub-1500. The Dayton 15" is fairly underpowered (150w) and plays a bit sluggish and muddy. I had both the Dayton sub-1500 and Dayton sub-1200 and preferred the 12. Returned the sub-1500 and, at one time, owned 3 of the sub-1200's. When the sub-1200 was $100, that was a pretty good deal for a entry sub. When I bought the sub-1500 it was priced at $150. IMO, it's not even worth that, let alone $200.
Any idea what a Dayton SPA500 might do for one of them. I have an opportunity to pick one up for 140.00 off craigslist. If it's worthwhile then I may do that and then buy another one from parts express. I know I will have to modify the box. Right now I think I need more low volume bass as the Infinity speakers go very loud and can feel the floor vibrating with just the one 12 inch and one 15 inch Dayton. I just don't know what more power will do to the sub. Any subs I have ever had, I never upped to power so am clueless there. I did read on Parts Express going to a Dayton SPA 250 will only increase it by 3 db and that would not be a noticeable difference. I know the dogs don't like it when I turned the volume up. Parts Express did email me a return shipping label and will know more hopefully on Friday when it arrives there.

Last edited by Edzzed; 02-18-2015 at 03:27 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Finally completed the home theater setup. Wow, the house vibrates now. I have never had an opportunity to listen to a high end home theater so have nothing to compare it to. I had looked into building a sub as recently as yesterday but gonna shelve those plans for now. Would have needed a router and could probably have used a 12 inch compound sliding saw I have as long as I bought the 2x4 ft pieces of MDF from Home Depot. As a way of saying Thanks for the input, They gave me a coupon code for 10.00 of a 150.00 purchase at Parts Express. That code is FEBTENDL and is valid till March 14, 2015

Last edited by Edzzed; 02-27-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page