Help me decide - Rythmik E15HP vs PSA S1500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By dsrussell
  • 2 Post By tvuong
  • 1 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By MadMadness
  • 2 Post By MadMadness

post #1 of 22 Old 03-02-2015, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help me decide - Rythmik E15HP vs PSA S1500

Hello all,

My first post. Long time lurker here. I typed way more than I thought I would so thanks in advanced for reading and offering your opinion.

I have been researching home theater equipment for the past 2 years. Last year I bought my first real set of HT speakers; LCR set of Ascend Sierra-2's. Initially my budget was $1000. Obviously I went well over that . Now I am looking to overspend on my budget once again!

The details: My room is 22x13x7... approx. 2300 cubic ft. I use my HT for 60/40 HT/music. I live in an apartment and unfortunately have limited placement options. The subwoofer cannot be wider than 17". I also rather have accuracy/fidelity/linear response than high SPL. Sound quality is of the utmost importance. It has to blend well with my Sierra-2's after all.

I've never owned a HT subwoofer but I am no stranger to low end frequencies by any means. I've had subwoofers in all of my cars, I play bass guitar with 2 x 15" cabs and a 500w class a/b amp head and I also have experience recording and mixing music. I know how "good" bass should sound.

I tried to start at what I thought was a "reasonable" priced subwoofer that wouldn't bring down my walls and upset my neighbors. After literally 2 years of researching subwoofers I finally picked up an SVS PB-1000 to audition. It's left me underwhelmed.

I think for my room it is just a bit too under powered. For movie's it is mediocre... for music it is simply not that good. My little 8" sealed bose PC subwoofer has more accuracy and definition for music.

After more research I have decided that a Rhytmik E15HP or a PSA s1500 will be a better fit for me. Both are sealed compact 15" subwoofers with a 17" width and plenty of power for my 2300 cubic ft room Both companies have a great reputation and both are around the same price with the Rythmik E15HP being slightly more expensive at $1024 + $100 for shipping. I just dont know which one to pick.

I am kind of leaning towards the E15HP which is a more establish brand and subwoofer. Pros for me are: Class a/b amp. I know they aren't as efficient as Class D amps but in the world of bass guitar amps class a/b *subjectively* sounds warmer(to me, in my experience). Not sure if this even matters for a HT sub. Also, the amazing EQ options on the amp are a huge plus. The cons are its made in China and the biggest con is the two way shipping cost!

The cons of the E15HP are the pro's of the PSA s1500 which has gone out of its way to source as many components as possible in the USA. I am one of those who typically goes out of his way to purchase items NOT made in China and I don't mind paying more to do so. The cons of the s1500 are that its not out for 2 more weeks and there are no reviews! But they do have free return shipping!

In summary - E15HP vs PSA s1500. Which is the better sub? Buy the E15HP now, pay the $100 shipping/return cost or buy the PSA s1500 in 2 weeks when its released. If the PSA s1500 doesnt work out, return it for free and buy the Rhythmik? Or..? Decisions.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
First, thank you for the detailed explanation of your room, wants, needs and experience. We rarely get that here. Second, congratulations on your Sierra 2s. Excellent choice. Third, don't expect home bass systems to mimic the overboard reference levels of bass in automobiles. Cabin gain goes crazy in cars and you must realize that you cannot expect that type of gain/output in a medium size room.

Your subwoofer choices are excellent ones. I own the SB13-Ultra and think it's fantastic for music. The reason I mention this is that Jim Wilson did a review of the Ultra and the E15HP. The one he chose would be the one he kept, so it was an important decision for Jim. He ended up choosing the Rythmik, which is a lot cheaper than the SVS! Now, it wasn't that the Rythmik was heads above, because it wasn't. It was a very close call, but to have the Rythmik win and be $400 or $500 cheaper is quite a feat.

PSA's newest subs are very interesting. Their "se" series was an important update for PSA (especially for music) and the newest series is suppose to be even better. I do have a feeling that the PSA might be better for movie LFE (but I don't know this as fact, because neither have been tested at data-bass). For music, it may be a toss up, but I might give a small nod to the Rythmik. I haven't heard either, so this is my best guess (I also own a PSA XS30 subwoofer).

Obviously, PSA is the safest choice just because of the free test drive, but the choice is yours. You could hardly go wrong with either.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 2595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadness
... buy the PSA s1500 in 2 weeks when its released. If the PSA s1500 doesnt work out, return it for free and buy the Rhythmik?
But if the S1500 works out, you're all set. Yes.

Any reason the current, well-rated XS15se isn't on your short list? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
You already have fantastic speakers from Ascend which sells Rythmik subs. Why not stick with them and just snag the E15HP? Since music takes up a large portion of your listening habits that's the route I would pursue. Whatever you end up getting I can't honestly see you returning it. One thing I will point out is that you know the E15HP is a great subwoofer, but you don't know anything about the s1500. Why not stick with what you know?

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #5 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2534 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
No one here has compared these two subs yet. How about buying both and compare for yourself and for us too?
oneeyeblind and jsc79 like this.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2445
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadness View Post
RE PB1000- for music it is simply not that good. My little 8" sealed bose PC subwoofer has more accuracy and definition for music.
This makes me question your "experience". Sounds like a poor setup and/or the problem is with the end user not the device.
deepat04 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #7 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Your subwoofer choices are excellent ones. I own the SB13-Ultra and think it's fantastic for music. The reason I mention this is that Jim Wilson did a review of the Ultra and the E15HP. The one he chose would be the one he kept, so it was an important decision for Jim. He ended up choosing the Rythmik, which is a lot cheaper than the SVS! Now, it wasn't that the Rythmik was heads above, because it wasn't. It was a very close call, but to have the Rythmik win and be $400 or $500 cheaper is quite a feat.
Thanks dsrussell. I've read enough of these threads to know what information is needed . I did read over that thread with Jim Wilson. I seemed to have missed the post where he chose the E15HP over the SB13U. I know Jim does a lot of sub reviews so the fact that he chose the E15HP for personal use says a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Any reason the current, well-rated XS15se isn't on your short list? Just curious.
For some (subjective) reason I'm just not crazy about down firing designs. Also I'd figure I'd go with the newest product offering with the ICE amp. According to Tom V, he was getting a lot of requests for a front firing design. He also states the new design allows them to increase internal volume while also making the external dimensions smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
No one here has compared these two subs yet. How about buying both and compare for yourself and for us too?
Lol. That would be great but I really don't want to tie up that much money and effort into subwoofers. General consensus so far seems to think that I will be happy with either choice. I will certainly give my feedback on whichever one I end up buying.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
This makes me question your "experience". Sounds like a poor setup and/or the problem is with the end user not the device.
Whoa, whoa... slinging mud already. I'm not sure I want to even respond to this. You seem like a troll. All I will say is that the 8" sub is hooked up to my PC in a different part of the house. No where did I state I compared both subs apples to apples. I had the PB1000 in three different positions of my room and re-ran audyssey each time. Sorry to say, for the size of my room, the PB1000 does not deliver in the music department, for *me* and I am in no way saying the PB1000 is a bad subwoofer. It simply is not the right one for my setup.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2445
Quote:
Whoa, whoa... slinging mud already. I'm not sure I want to even respond to this. You seem like a troll. All I will say is that the 8" sub is hooked up to my PC in a different part of the house. No where did I state I compared both subs apples to apples. I had the PB1000 in three different positions of my room and re-ran audyssey each time. Sorry to say, for the size of my room, the PB1000 does not deliver in the music department, for *me* and I am in no way saying the PB1000 is a bad subwoofer. It simply is not the right one for my setup.
That's not what you said.

You said "I think for my room it is just a bit too under powered. For movie's it is mediocre... for music it is simply not that good. My little 8" sealed bose PC subwoofer has more accuracy and definition for music."

I suppose if you put that bose mid bass module in 3x4 walk in closet I'm sure it has some sound coming out of it. As for accuracy and definition, not buying it at all.

Any Bose "sub" or whatever you want to call it, that I've heard produces nothing more than a single monotone at some frequency not any lower than 60hz.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #10 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You said "I think for my room it is just a bit too under powered. For movie's it is mediocre... for music it is simply not that good. My little 8" sealed bose PC subwoofer has more accuracy and definition for music."

I suppose if you put that bose mid bass module in 3x4 walk in closet I'm sure it has some sound coming out of it. As for accuracy and definition, not buying it at all.

Any Bose "sub" or whatever you want to call it, that I've heard produces nothing more than a single monotone at some frequency not any lower than 60hz.
Yes, in its current setup the bose 8" does have more definition for music then the PB1000 in its setup. It wasn't meant to be an apples to apples comparison but a point of reference that the PB1000 is not getting the job done for music on my HT setup. I'm sorry you are offended. Now, unless you have something constructive to add you should leave this thread and go troll elsewhere as I will not be responding to any more posts like this.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Quote:
MadMadness- Your OP reads as if you compared the PB1000 to the Bose subwoofer. I also don't think Kuni62 is trolling, he's a knowledgeable frequent forum member. Every few days a new thread will pop up where someone is asking why their subwoofer ( usually an ID sub ) is lacking in bass performance. With the track record of the major ID companies and their products, its almost never due to their engineering.

With that said, the E15 will give you nice output, clean bass in a nice form factor, something to put thought into is how disappointed you were by the PB1000, what if the E15 gives you a similar outcome, my recommendation is to buy the PSA, you might have nulls in your room or need duals or a larger ported sub to achieve your desired outcome, go with the company that gives you the option to return the item at no cost if that does happen.

Good Luck

Last edited by deepat04; 03-03-2015 at 09:01 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Yes, in its current setup the bose 8" does have more definition for music then the PB1000 in its setup. It wasn't meant to be an apples to apples comparison but a point of reference that the PB1000 is not getting the job done for music on my HT setup. I'm sorry you are offended. Now, unless you have something constructive to add you should leave this thread and go troll elsewhere as I will not be responding to any more posts like this.
Just don't knock SVS subs around Kini62 and you'll be fine lol.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Reading your original comments, I wonder if what you're hearing with the PB-1000 has more to do with placement, crossover, AVR, or some problem with room rather than the sub. Especially for music, I just have a hard time believing that the PB-1000 wouldn't be adequate. Keep in mind you are listening to the room more than the sub below 200 - 300 Hz or so.

Truth be told, I do own a couple PB-1000s, and I am happy with them, but I'm certainly not the type to get offended if it doesn't work for others. That said, I wonder if a second PB-1000 could be a way forward for you. What convinced me to go with to go with a second sub was to play a 60 Hz sine wave through one sub. Walking around the room I could hear the modes and nodes so clearly it was kind of amazing. The sound would cut out and then a foot to the right it would sound louder than ever. The second sub really cut down this effect.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 2595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadness
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck
For some (subjective) reason I'm just not crazy about down firing designs. Also I'd figure I'd go with the newest product offering with the ICE amp. According to Tom V, he was getting a lot of requests for a front firing design. He also states the new design allows them to increase internal volume while also making the external dimensions smaller.
Thanks for the reply.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-06-2015, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the Rythmik E15HP today. In the end I felt this was the best choice with Dave at Ascend using Rythmik subs, Brian at Rythmik using Ascend speakers, Jim Wilson's review, Kew's review(who replaced his sb12plus with the E15HP) and the fact that nobody has even heard the s1500 yet. I'm having them ship it on Monday so I can get it by the end of next week. Can't wait to hear it!
JT78681 likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-06-2015, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Rythmik E15HP is a class H amp, I went from a SVS PB-1000 to a E-15HP and was very happy with the upgrade, I also run the Sierra-2 for my LCR speakers, the E15HP and the S2 work beautifully together. If I was doing it again I may of went with the FV15HP.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-09-2015, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
Rythmik E15HP is a class H amp, I went from a SVS PB-1000 to a E-15HP and was very happy with the upgrade, I also run the Sierra-2 for my LCR speakers, the E15HP and the S2 work beautifully together. If I was doing it again I may of went with the FV15HP.
Sounds like an awesome setup . What size room do you have? How big of a difference was it for you going from the PB1000 to the E15HP?
post #18 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, the E15HP is fantastic. A huge difference compared to the PB-1000 but that was expected with twice the power and twice the driver. The E15HP is everything I wanted; Tight and articulate bass with a ton of headroom to spare. Both music and movies sound phenomenal. I've watched How To Train Your Dragon, Hobbit: BOTFA, Exodus:GAK and Interstellar. I was all smiles watching each movie... especially Interstellar and HTTYD which are some seriously bass heavy movies. I actually had to tame the bass because of some window rattling and the fantastic amp on the Rythmik easily allowed me to do so by setting the HPF to 20hz. Hopefully I don't disturb my neighbors... too much.
JT78681 and dsrussell like this.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2534 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
^^ Awesome up to the 20hz HPF part. Why would you want to do that? Fix the window instead Can't wait to watch Interstellar. It is a looooong movie though.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ Awesome up to the 20hz HPF part. Why would you want to do that? Fix the window instead Can't wait to watch Interstellar. It is a looooong movie though.
Haha. I didn't *WANT* to do it... but I live on the 3rd floor in an apartment and I am afraid that it will disturb my neighbor below me. For the window to rattle the sub is kicking out some monstrous bass. I can only imagine what it's doing to my poor neighbor below me
post #21 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Wow, the E15HP is fantastic. A huge difference compared to the PB-1000 but that was expected with twice the power and twice the driver. The E15HP is everything I wanted; Tight and articulate bass with a ton of headroom to spare. Both music and movies sound phenomenal. I've watched How To Train Your Dragon, Hobbit: BOTFA, Exodus:GAK and Interstellar. I was all smiles watching each movie... especially Interstellar and HTTYD which are some seriously bass heavy movies. I actually had to tame the bass because of some window rattling and the fantastic amp on the Rythmik easily allowed me to do so by setting the HPF to 20hz. Hopefully I don't disturb my neighbors... too much.
Congratulations on your choice! It's a great sub with lots of controls to tailor it to your needs. I'm sure you will be constantly amazed .

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #22 of 22 Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Glad you like your E15HP! I too run an Ascend + Rythmik combo; what a great pairing. My E15HP blends in so well with my Ascend towers. I don't need another one but I'm contemplating getting a second E15HP. I'm running wires for Atmos in-ceiling speaker and will have the installers run another RCA to my side wall. I figure it would give me additional placement options...who am I kidding, it's so I have an excuse to buy another sub.

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4
Denon x6200
Ascend Acoustics Towers and Horizon Center (NrT)
RSL 34CE in-ceilings (4)
Rythmik E15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page