Room Volume Question for Sub Choices - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Room Volume Question for Sub Choices

Hello,

I am moving my home theater around in our great room and building in a dedicated media/security/equipment closet for it. Due to new placement of the TV on the wall across from windows, we have added automated blinds and lutron lighting controlling. I have many questions but want to stay on forum topic. My question is about the cubic feet volume of my listening space so I can choose a separate subwoofer. Currently I have built in subwoofers in my Definitive Tech. Bipolar towers and will be keeping them along with my Def. Tech. bipolar surrounds. My center is changing and will be going with a the dual 6.5" in wall from Def. Tech. and either mounting it below the 70" 4K TV or above but that is a question for another thread :-) I DO plan to keep the subs running in the towers too though..

In reviewing subwoofers I have narrowed down a few that I wish to research further and have decided not to go with a Def. Tech. Supercube 8000 due to price/performance/value options that are available to me from other manufacturers. I have several places in the room picked out as ideal locations and know where my previous down firing HK sub sounded best.

What I need to better make decisions is some help with my room volume. I have attached a picture of the home theater and how it relates to the rest of the open floor plan.
The area is:
-5639 ft3 for everything in the open floor plan picture (but the bedrooms that are sealed off.)
Including......
-2600 ft3 for just the main living room area.
-1950 ft3 for just the kitchen/dining area.
-430 ft3 for the just the foyer area.
-650 ft3 for both hallways (they cannot be closed off from the living area)

Since this is an open floor plan, I assume I must include the total volume of the area for subwoofer selection purposes correct? Or do I just use the main living room area volume and some of the kitchen/dining area?

All being said, I am really looking at the following subs:
-SVS PB-2000
-HSU VTF15H MK2
-HSU VTF3 MK5

If you can answer my question about the volume of the room I would really appreciate it. If you can offer some subwoofer suggestions for that particular space that will work with my current speakers, that would be even better. BTW...I am about 90% movies in this room. I have an ancient but wonderful system for music in my study.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
To pressurize your room, you need to factor in the total open space. However, with good subwoofer placement, you can still get a good bass sound without having to pressurize the entire area. Still, I would want to buy as powerful sub as you can afford. Both Hsu subs will easily outperform the SVS sub. The VTF15h mk2 has an advantage over the VTF3 in deep bass, but above 25 Hz they are pretty even. The VTF15h mk2s look like they will be out of stock until April. The VTF3s are in stock right now. Unless you need a few extra decibels of deep bass, I would just go with the VTF3 mk5.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
To pressurize your room, you need to factor in the total open space. However, with good subwoofer placement, you can still get a good bass sound without having to pressurize the entire area. Still, I would want to buy as powerful sub as you can afford. Both Hsu subs will easily outperform the SVS sub. The VTF15h mk2 has an advantage over the VTF3 in deep bass, but above 25 Hz they are pretty even. The VTF15h mk2s look like they will be out of stock until April. The VTF3s are in stock right now. Unless you need a few extra decibels of deep bass, I would just go with the VTF3 mk5.
ShadyJ,
You answered every question I needed! Thanks! I was actually leaning towards the VTF3 due to the size of it (and the fact I have two other subs built into the tower speakers) or the SVS because of the DSP and new design specs. Looks like I have narrowed it down to those two. If you feel that the HSU is really that much better than the SVS then it looks like I will be leaning that way even more.

BTW.. My old HK down firing sub (didn't like it but it did its purpose) sounded best in the bottom left corner or directly below where the TV is going. I do not really like having that big of a sub under the TV especially with everything else going on that wall and the other location that was just as good is the bottom right corner but we were thinking of moving one of our parrots cages to that area (loves to watch TV.) Another thought was on the Foyer side of the fireplace or even behind the couch but I never really checked those spots when I had the sub because of the furniture already there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
Yeah, from the available measurements the Hsu subs have a very substantial performance lead over the SVS sub. The DSP doesn't do much except shape the subs response, it can make the sub behave better within its limits but can not improve raw performance. It's not that much of an advantage, in my opinion. What you will want to do when you get the sub is try it in every spot you can place it in and see where it measures or sounds best. A simple shortcut to doing this is placing the subwoofer in your listening position and measuring the response at the spots where it could go. Placement is absolutely crucial in getting good bass.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Subs should be place with a sub crawl or with a measurement mic and put where they sound the best, not where they look the best. But we all know that isn't always practical or possible. But if you have 2 or 3 options, find which spot sounds the best.
Just a heads up. You should invest in a Room measuring mic and learn REW because there is a chance that your tower subs could create a null (cancel some FR) from your subs. That is if you want the most out of your system.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Subs should be place with a sub crawl or with a measurement mic and put where they sound the best, not where they look the best. But we all know that isn't always practical or possible. But if you have 2 or 3 options, find which spot sounds the best.
Just a heads up. You should invest in a Room measuring mic and learn REW because there is a chance that your tower subs could create a null (cancel some FR) from your subs. That is if you want the most out of your system.

Thanks. This is what I absolutely plan to do (the crawl) I am just hoping that the previous sub's location or the the other two I have picked work well with the sub and the speakers.

I am concerned and intrigued about the bass null info and REW. I have downloaded REW. I am pretty much a geek. Can you recommend a mic I can order off of amazon or similar that works well with it at a good price? Also, what other hardware/cables would I need to connect it all up to my Macbook Pro?

Thanks in advance!
post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahicks View Post
Thanks. This is what I absolutely plan to do (the crawl) I am just hoping that the previous sub's location or the the other two I have picked work well with the sub and the speakers.

I am concerned and intrigued about the bass null info and REW. I have downloaded REW. I am pretty much a geek. Can you recommend a mic I can order off of amazon or similar that works well with it at a good price? Also, what other hardware/cables would I need to connect it all up to my Macbook Pro?

Thanks in advance!
I would order one from here http://www.cross-spectrum.com/ that is calibrated and comes with the calibration file. Either the UMIK-1 or the UMM-6. You will also need a SPL meter.
As far as a Macbook connection, I cant help you with that. But I know it can be done. Someone on here will probably chime in.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 3805 Post(s)
Liked: 4311
I'd get the UMIK-1. I really like mine, it is good for what you pay.
(It comes with everything you need.)

Should connect via a USB port.

You don't need an SPL meter, but it is very handy to have, especially if you have doubts about how loud you are getting and want that second opinion. Or just want to do a quick-check without grabbing a computer.
I use a CM-140 and it is very accurate, within +-1.3db of my UMIK ($100) and TermLab ($750).
http://www.parts-express.com/galaxy-...meter--245-263

The 130 is a cheaper version, it's range and accuracy is slightly worse. But more-than good enough for home hobby usage.
http://www.parts-express.com/galaxy-...meter--245-262
post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 6516 Post(s)
Liked: 5861
post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2015, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

I would really like to appreciate all three of you giving me input on REW. I am going to review the options given for the Mic and SPL meter and will thoroughly enjoy reading Alan's Sig info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page