Oh snap! Jtr cap 1400 - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 526Likes

post #301 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9318
Yea well that is what its there for...if you do not consider all the data then you should not be using any of it to make comparisons no?

Unfortunately the single 3" port can't cope with the output of the 15" driver and compresses a lot while also contributing a lot of wind noise at the highest output levels. Still overall headroom and low bass extension are very good. The distortion performance is decent but could be better. This sub also exhibits a good damping with no appreciable ringing to be concerned with.

This little bit of information tells a lot about the FV15's 1 port performance. Sure it is generating 98db @ 12hz. But it's weezing like a elephant with the flu to do it. The port volume is not large enough to keep up it is only physics. It is clear the FV is better suited for 2 port at max output.

Does this mean it is a bad sub, hell no...the FV kicks ass!! However it is silly to try point out that it has a advantage around 12hz over the Cap.

Edit*

The bottom line is it will take dual FV's to slightly best a single cap 1400 through most of the bandwidth. That shows you right there what a value the Cap is at it's price point because the FV is no slouch. Both subs are better then what I own, so I am offering a unbiased opinion here.

Last edited by basshead81; 05-28-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
^^^ Just wanted to point out a discrepancy that Josh has on the FV15HP. It has dual 3 1/2" ports not 3" ports. See the measurement I took below of the port. Also, I exchanged a few emails with Josh about this and look at what he had to say.

"The FV15HP can be made to make port noise and compress the ports in worst case scenarios regardless of the actual size of the ports. This is noted in the review. Virtually ALL vented commercial subs suffer this issue. SVS, PSA, Reaction, HSU, etc... All of them."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Port.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	742025  

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #303 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
OK..I just received the call from FedEx and mine will be delivered tomorrow between 1 and 4. The lady said, you have a package from Seaton Sound and I said....no it should be from JTR Speakers but after exchanging e-mails with Jeff he said he doesn't have everything set-up in his new location and Mark was kind enough to ship the Cap's to me for Jeff. So don't be surprised if your package says Seaton Sound.

I will post pics tomorrow.

@_Avarice_ did you receive yours yet?

Nabs17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 AM

I know its 3.5" and that is still under ported for 14hz tuning. PSA and SVS use 4" ports for 18hz tuning, the PB13 uses triple 3.5" ports so the 15hz tune still utilizes 2 3.5" ports. Of course any sub can be driven to port noise with test tones. The FV15 will still start exhibiting port noise before other subs with larger ports in 1 port mode. It is simply physics...download winisd or other comparable programs and study port tuning and velocity.

Aside from that look at the long term compression sweeps. The Cap 1400 increases output everywhere clear up to its highest sweep of 115db. The FV is out of steam @ 110db on the lowend and is no longer increasing output except above 30hz. Now look at the 2 port sweeps of the FV...it looks like a whole different sub which tells me it is native tuning is 18hz and that is where the sub performs best. Like I said in the past, with a pair of FV15's 1 port would most likely perform great(dominguez setup is prime example), but running a single in 1 port would most likely exhibit port noise when driven hard. I believe you experienced this...

Again both are killer subs at their respective price points but the little advantage in output around 12hz is moot at best. This is all I am saying.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #305 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ I just found it funny that the FV15HP had a slight advantage in output around 12hz because it got smoked pretty bad everywhere else. That was funny to me. That's all.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #306 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
OK..I just received the call from FedEx and mine will be delivered tomorrow between 1 and 4. The lady said, you have a package from Seaton Sound and I said....no it should be from JTR Speakers but after exchanging e-mails with Jeff he said he doesn't have everything set-up in his new location and Mark was kind enough to ship the Cap's to me for Jeff. So don't be surprised if your package says Seaton Sound.

I will post pics tomorrow.

@_Avarice_ did you receive yours yet?
Showed up about a half hour ago

Going to hide it behind the couch and see if the wife even notices, lol. Then I'll run through xt32, give it a listen, and report back!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1876.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	742297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1875.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	742305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	742313  

Avarice
post #307 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Going to hide it behind the couch and see if the wife even notices, lol. Then I'll run through xt32, give it a listen, and report back!
I can see it now. Honey why is there a black refrigerator behind our couch?
oneeyeblind likes this.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #308 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Very nice and congrats again...you might be the very first. I look forward to your impressions and I'll post pics tomorrow when my twins come in.

Nabs17
post #309 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After running through the 8 point on xt32, I'm amazed how low I had to set the gain in order to achieve the 75db calibration benchmark. I know the sub is near-field but I didn't even have to set it this low (on external amp) when I had two passive Cap 2400s.

After calibration I manually trimmed up the sub 3db...running through some content now and so far so good. It is handling everything effortlessly, as you would expect. I'm hesitant to stretch its legs fully; not at least until I let it get warmed up :-)

I also want to make mention that the packaging was fantastic and the Cap showed up blemish-free.

Back to listening
Nabs17 likes this.

Avarice
post #310 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
After running through the 8 point on xt32, I'm amazed how low I had to set the gain in order to achieve the 75db calibration benchmark. I know the sub is near-field but I didn't even have to set it this low (on external amp) when I had two passive Cap 2400s.

After calibration I manually trimmed up the sub 3db...running through some content now and so far so good. It is handling everything effortlessly, as you would expect. I'm hesitant to stretch its legs fully; not at least until I let it get warmed up :-)

I also want to make mention that the packaging was fantastic and the Cap showed up blemish-free.

Back to listening
If it's near-field, where do you have it sitting?

Just behind or beside your seating?

Did you have any localization smearing with your mains?

What crossover point are you using?
post #311 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Back to listening
Grats on the sub! I'm going to be setting up a Cap 1400 tomorrow at my friend's house. Did you leave the "LF Adjust" centered? We'll be using Dirac so I'm tempted to simply leave it in the neutral position, but I was just curious to get some feedback ahead of time. Maybe Jeff will chime in about just how "LF Adjust" works.
post #312 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
Quote:

Made some room after all, huh? I knew you couldn't go back to a "regular" sub after the Caps! Enjoy!
_Avarice_ likes this.
post #313 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Quote:

Back to listening
If it's near-field, where do you have it sitting?

Just behind or beside your seating?

Did you have any localization smearing with your mains?

What crossover point are you using?
Near-field, directly behind main listening position (couch).

There is a fair bit of localization with the sub directly behind me. This is the first time I've had a sub so close...always had them up front previously.

Crossing over @ 80hz.
post #314 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post
Quote:

Back to listening
Grats on the sub! I'm going to be setting up a Cap 1400 tomorrow at my friend's house. Did you leave the "LF Adjust" centered? We'll be using Dirac so I'm tempted to simply leave it in the neutral position, but I was just curious to get some feedback ahead of time. Maybe Jeff will chime in about just how "LF Adjust" works.
Yeah, I just left it centered. Unfortunately ricci didn't have time to test this feature of the 1400...I was curious to see its effect on the FR.
post #315 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Jeff, just sent you a email about the LA Group Buy.

Looking forward to the Teak 1400's

Last edited by Peterc613; 05-28-2015 at 05:30 PM.
post #316 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Quote:

Made some room after all, huh? I knew you couldn't go back to a "regular" sub after the Caps! Enjoy!
Indeed! Just one though...that's all I could get away with. I missed it so damn much, lol
post #317 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
^^^ I just found it funny that the FV15HP had a slight advantage in output around 12hz because it got smoked pretty bad everywhere else. That was funny to me. That's all.
I am just giving you a hard time bud!!

PM sent
post #318 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I just left it centered. Unfortunately ricci didn't have time to test this feature of the 1400...I was curious to see its effect on the FR.
Are you connecting via RCA or XLR?

Nabs17
post #319 of 891 Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Quote:
Are you connecting via RCA or XLR?
RCA main cable with RCA --> XLR adapter at at sub.
post #320 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Hey Jeff, just sent you a email about the LA Group Buy.

Responded. I think I've responded to everyone emails. I'll get to voicemails on my lunch break. Everyone who ordered in April should have their Captivator 1400s by the end of today. I'll have several more going out the door wednesday. Back to the move.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #321 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hey guys, I've enjoyed reading all the posts about the new Cap 1400. Can't wait to hear more results!

I'm brand new here and have been reading up as I'm shopping for a new subwoofer. Looking at a pretty broad range of options and would love to hear some advice and/or feedback.

About me:
50/50 music/HT
very large room >10k cuft
don't listen a super high volumes
not a dedicated theater room so WAF will not allow for more than 2 subs (2 Cap 1400's might even be too much)
room will control placement options

Subs I'm researching:
Cap 1400
PSA V1500
SVS SB Ultra
Rythmik FV15HP or F15HP

I know these options are dramatically different. Can anyone lend some advice on how to narrow down the field? Make the best choice?
post #322 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by coup36 View Post
Hey guys, I've enjoyed reading all the posts about the new Cap 1400. Can't wait to hear more results!

I'm brand new here and have been reading up as I'm shopping for a new subwoofer. Looking at a pretty broad range of options and would love to hear some advice and/or feedback.

About me:
50/50 music/HT
not a dedicated theater room so WAF will not allow for more than 2 subs (2 Cap 1400's might even be too much)

Subs I'm researching:
Cap 1400
PSA V1500
SVS SB Ultra
Rythmik FV15HP or F15HP

I know these options are dramatically different. Can anyone lend some advice on how to narrow down the field? Make the best choice?
This particular thread is about the Cap1400, so it's really not intended for general advice about a specific situation. For something like that a new thread should be started. That way all the posts will be in direct response to your questions.
jbrown15 and oneeyeblind like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #323 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
This particular thread is about the Cap1400, so it's really not intended for general advice about a specific situation. For something like that a new thread should be started. That way all the posts will be in direct response to your questions.
Yeah, ur right Jim. Sorry, wasn't trying hijack. I'll get a new thread started and post a link here if that's okay.
post #324 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coup36 View Post

About me:
50/50 music/HT

Subs I'm researching:
Cap 1400
PSA V1500
SVS SB Ultra
Rythmik FV15HP or F15HP

Our theater is also part of a 10,100 cu ft completely open floor plan. At first I built a Danley DTS-10 tapped horn with a 2,000w QSC amplifier for the front corner. I planned on building two 32" Mary Subs with UXL-18 drivers for the rear wall:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After spending the last 3 years researching other people's experience, I've come to the conclusion that nothing less than four 18" ported subs will suffice. It's very hard to pressurize a space that large.

You're only two pre-manufactured choices (other than DIY) are really between the Reaction Audio Echo-18 ($1,299) and the JTR Captivator 1400 ($1,999). Both companies have discount pricing for dual subs. If your wife would accept four subs, the Echo-18 has the lowest price on an 18" sub and would be the better value. If she will only accept two subs, then the Cap-1400 is more powerful and would be your best bet for satisfactory performance. If that's too expensive then check out the Marty Subs in the DIY section of AVS.

RA Echo 18 Subwoofer $1,299

Slot Ported 18" driver
3" diameter voice coil
3" peak to peak excursion
925W RMS ICE power amplifier
Frequency response: 15-200 Hz
Size: 29 H x 20.5 W x 26 D
Weight: 140 pounds

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...ant=1107662665

JTR Captivator 1400 $1,999

Slot Ported 18" driver
3" diameter dual voice coil
30mm xmax each way
motor strength of 256 (bl^2/re)
1400W RMS - dual 700w ICE power amplifiers
Frequency response: 16-190 Hz (+/- 1 dB)
Size: 30 H x 20 W x 22.5 D
Weight: 148 pounds

JTR WEBSITE

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator/

VENEER FINISHES

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...post1275658541

ICE POWER

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com...ker/ASC_SERIES

SHOOTOUTS

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ts-thread.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ut-2012-a.html

2011 Kansas City Subwoofer Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Here are the individual results, total score, and then the calculated rankings:

PreAudition Ranking: our unauditioned collective expectation of final rank
1. JTR Captivator
2. Seaton Submersive
3. HSU VTF-15H
4. Yamaha CW218V
5. Epik Empire
6. SVS PB-12+
7. Jamo D7
8. Jenson MS500

Cosmetics/Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) Ranking: (fit, finish, size)
1. SVS PB-12 +
2. HSU VTF-15H
3. Epik Empire
4. Seaton Submersive
5. JTR Captivator
6. Jamo D7
7. Yamaha CW218V
8. Jenson MS500

Build Quality Ranking: (inert, heavy, durable, construction quality)
1. JTR Captivator
2. SVS PB-12 +
3. HSU VTF-15H
4. Seaton Submersive
5. Epik Empire
6. Yamaha CW218V
7. Jamo D7sub
8. Jenson MS500

FINAL MUSIC RANKING:
The collective individual scores recorded and averaged during our testing revealed the subs ranked into the following order for finest overall music reproduction ability:
1. Seaton Submersive
2. JTR Captivator
3. HSU VTF-15H
4. Epik Empire
5. SVS PB-12+
6. Yamaha CW218V
7. Jamo D7sub
8. Jenson MS500

FINAL MOVIE RANKING:
The collective individual scores recorded and averaged during our testing revealed the subs ranked into the following order for finest overall movie watching enjoyment:
1. JTR Captivator
2. Seaton Submersive
3. Epik Empire
4. Yamaha CW218V
5. HSU VTF-15H
6. SVS PB-12+
7. Jenson MS500
8. Jamo D7sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Finally it was time for the Captivator. Involuntary smiles became involuntary laughter. You have to be kidding me. Who turned on the fan? In the winter time you would have a wind chill in this room on bass heavy movies. Rediculous. I don't want to get too carried away here, the difference between the Cap and the Submersive was MUCH closer than the difference between the 2 of them and the Empire and HSU. For me the biggest seperator scene between the Cap and Sumbersive was the plane crash on Knowing, but I did feel that the Cap was better on all the movie scenes.

Which would I take if I could have taken home either the Submersive or the Captivator? Well, I would have gone with the sub that I actually did take home - the Captivator. Yes music is my priority, but to be fair I hadn't experienced that kind of bass feel with movies before and I REALLY liked it. What really excites me is that the Cap was quite a bit better in the "chew up the bass and forget to spit it out" room than the HSU was in my room and there was even a bigger difference between the HSU in my room compared to Archea's room (did you follow all that?). In theory that should mean that the Cap will abolutely crush me in my room.

BTW, the Captivator is so intimidating in person. The pictures of the driver don't really do it justice. In person it looks scary. I drug it down to my basement last night and it's looking great in my room. Pictures and impressions of how it's doing in my room to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echaot View Post
JTR: Highest wow factor in terms of chest thump and effect. The THX clip was very impressive (loudest and smoothest sounding at the end as more of the low end gets tested). The ports were blasting lots of air forward (evidenced by luke's cap being blown towards the couch from resting near the port on the floor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

My personal ranking of the subs demoed is
1. JTR Captivator
2. Seaton Submersive
3. SVS PB-12 +
4. HSU VTF-15H
5. Epik Empire
6. Jamo D7sub
7. Yamaha CW218V
8. Jensen MS500

Why Did I Rank What Where?

Gold Medal First Prize - Winner by TKO - JTR Captivator
That Captivator moved air about 10 feet to the listening position with the strength of a box fan! I kid you not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCR9iCsVWCM Just watch the video! This is a sub for men who like to eat their steaks rare. Sure it wasn't perfect, but it was so darn impressive in movies I couldn't help but absolutely fall in love with it. I've never felt bass like that in my entire life. PERIOD. Jeff pushed it harder than he needed to and the fact that he wasn't worried about damaging it means to me that's it's built like a gosh darn tank! On the ScubaSteve2365 demo disk there was one particular LFE video that never made sense to me why it was there. Jeff let us listen to some of the other demos on the captivator sub and I finally understood why the Book of Eli scene is in that section. No other sub I've watched that movie with did it justice. The Captivator brought that scene to life. AMAZING gun blast reproduction! Obviously the Master and Commander scene was amazing and the War of the Worlds scene was absolutely ridiculous. It didn't fail at music either. The Linkin Park and Janet Jackson tracks sounded better on the Captivator than the Submersive. The Captivator moved my wall on the Mia - Ghetto Superstar song like no other sub. It literrally made every one feel like their eyes were bouncing, because the wall my projector screen was mounted to was vibrating so much. The Captivator is just a raw savage beast on tactile output -- expensive!!!, but my favorite if money is no object!

19 out of 20 for music for me - lost a point on the smooth category when the 100hz to 20hz sweep didn't sound 100% smooth like the Jamo D7, Epik Empire, HSU VTF-15H, and Seaton Submersive did)
44.5 out of 45 on movies for me - lost a 1/2 point on the Orphanage scene (SVS and Seaton scored five on that scene for my rating)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

JTR Captivator

Just a beast of a sub and looks intimidating as hell in person. I am not sure how much time Jeff had to put this driver in and get on the road, he stated once that the hpf may need to be higher frequency I believe. Jeff pulled amp to give it to Carp, and I got to look in and check it out. If I hit box with my car, the box would win. If I got a running start and a good swing, I could knock out an elephant with the magnet.

Music
Puts the large ported 18" don't have good sq to rest (I use to hate people arguing this with me in car audio days). It was very very good with music and a close second to SubM IMO.

Movies
Well now the room was getting pretty full eating bass all day, and threw up all over me! That driver was moving some serious air. Air shot out at me like I was on an the Indiana Jones amusement ride getting shot at with air darts. Now just like several of us, Jeff pushed it a bit too hard most of the time I felt. This subwoofer with his powerful amp is a no joke ported sub, and even it has its limits. I feel that this passive subwoofer and adding your own amp and hpf to have an amp limited subwoofer is the best buy ported subwoofer offering available at this time.

YOUTUBE

Specs

Front

Rear

Veneer

Driver

Amplifier

Response

asoofi1 and DaveyMac like this.

Last edited by Peterc613; 05-29-2015 at 12:34 PM.
post #325 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 12:23 PM

That's awesome. Thanks Peter! When is cocktail hour?
post #326 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
@Peterc613 , I don't think that's the driver for the Cap 1400.
post #327 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

These were all the various pictures of the JTR Captivator driver posted in AVS Forum.
I could be wrong, maybe Jeff can enlighten us with an updated picture.

[IMG][/IMG]

post #328 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Yeah I thought the driver had a black basket and different looking motor.
post #329 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
My drivers in my s2 that I sold had a black basket.

I haven't seen one of those dancing coke cans in years! Shoot maybe 20+ years. Lol

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #330 of 891 Old 05-29-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After a while they all look the same...

It's all just subwoofer porn

Dayton Audio Ultimax 18

RE Audio MT SERIES