Oh snap! Jtr cap 1400 - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 526Likes

post #751 of 891 Old 12-30-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Suggestions?

Notice that the auto on off keeps triggering back and forth even with the receiver off (no signal being sent).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 891 Old 12-30-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
If possible, I would use the 12 volt trigger.
post #753 of 891 Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Video of the Captivator 1400 sliding

Hey folks,

Here is a short video of the Cap 1400 sliding on the SubDude HT while playing a scene (Red Storm) from Mad Max FR. Volume at -12.5 dB, reference calibrated to 80 dB, sub trim 3 dB hot. This thing is awesome!!!

Cheers,
chucky7, NODES, rhed and 3 others like this.

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology Mythos ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Player, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 891 Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
Here is a short video of the Cap 1400 sliding on the SubDude HT while playing a scene (Red Storm) from Mad Max FR. Volume at -12.5 dB, reference calibrated to 80 dB, sub trim 3 dB hot. This thing is awesome!!!
Holy sh!$, I've never seen a sub walk across an isolator like that! You'll probably need more than the various tape solutions suggested to alleviate it.
chucky7 and Shniks like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #755 of 891 Old 12-31-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Holy sh!$, I've never seen a sub walk across an isolator like that! You'll probably need more than the various tape solutions suggested to alleviate it.
Agree - I am going to get one of those rubber mats and see if that works. Funnily the SubDude itself is fine and doesn't move. Given how heavy the Cap is, it's amusing to see it run away from Imperator Furiosa.

Cheers,

Nikhil

Definitive Technology Mythos ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Player, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
post #756 of 891 Old 12-31-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Hey folks,

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote:
Agree - I am going to get one of those rubber mats and see if that works. Funnily the SubDude itself is fine and doesn't move. Given how heavy the Cap is, it's amusing to see it run away from Imperator Furiosa.

Cheers,
Here's a Happy New Year's gift & tip: Natural Gum Foam Rubber Sheet

This is essentially the rubber used in mousepads. While not terribly tacky, once you put weight on it, the waffle pattern on the surface and softer foam keep anything from moving and won't harm the surface of the speaker. This is what we use between stacked subwoofers and on top of our speaker stands in the adhesive strip form. Too thick a material will wobble, and too hard will not grip as well. If you need more grip than a sheet cut the full size of the bottom, switch to 4 squares in the corners. When you cut the size smaller, you get more lbs/square inch, and more grip. The thicker sizes can be used as cut-to fit pads/feet. It can be cut with a good scissors or sharp utility knife.

We'll see how long before manufacturers other than Jeff & I start using it now that I've mentioned it.
carp, lz7j, Shniks and 2 others like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #757 of 891 Old 12-31-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

This is essentially the rubber used in mousepads. While not terribly tacky, once you put weight on it, the waffle pattern on the surface and softer foam keep anything from moving and won't harm the surface of the speaker. This is what we use between stacked subwoofers and on top of our speaker stands in the adhesive strip form. Too thick a material will wobble, and too hard will not grip as well. If you need more grip than a sheet cut the full size of the bottom, switch to 4 squares in the corners. When you cut the size smaller, you get more lbs/square inch, and more grip. The thicker sizes can be used as cut-to fit pads/feet. It can be cut with a good scissors or sharp utility knife.

We'll see how long before manufacturers other than Jeff & I start using it now that I've mentioned it.

Whoa! Thanks for chiming in Mark - this product looks awesome and I will definitely be ordering this. Maybe Jeff and yourself could launch your own brand pads. I(SO)Seaton.

Cheers,

Nikhil

post #758 of 891 Old 12-31-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Quoted: 3642 Post(s)
Liked: 4795
And we have a walking sub!!!

I think the easiest solution would be to move your armchair further away from the sub. Then again, whoever is in charge of home decor might have something to say about that... You may try turning the sub 90 degrees so it is facing the sofa... Then again your lamp might start walking...

I have never seen a subdude but it looks like it is too rigid and your sub is moving on top of it like it is a hard surface. So I would suggest putting a anti-fatigue kitchen mat ( I remember seeing them at Costco for $20 or so ), or a yoga mat under it and see if your sub still moves. If it doesn't work, you can still return the mat.
Shniks likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #759 of 891 Old 12-31-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
And we have a walking sub!!!

I think the easiest solution would be to move your armchair further away from the sub. Then again, whoever is in charge of home decor might have something to say about that... You may try turning the sub 90 degrees so it is facing the sofa... Then again your lamp might start walking...

I have never seen a subdude but it looks like it is too rigid and your sub is moving on top of it like it is a hard surface. So I would suggest putting a anti-fatigue kitchen mat ( I remember seeing them at Costco for $20 or so ), or a yoga mat under it and see if your sub still moves. If it doesn't work, you can still return the mat.

Walking sub -

No the armchair has to stay there unfortunately (you guessed right) and I definitely don't want the lamp to walk away from me. I think the best solution would be to get a mat like you mentioned - I ordered the one that Mark highlighted above. It's not expensive at $10 for the size I need. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Man, I can't wait to watch all the blu-rays that I thought sounded good with my ST-Ls. This sub is a whole different beast. I swear that the first time I experienced its sound, a single tear of joy came running down my right eye, 1/4 inch from the bridge of my nose. I was so happy!!!

Best-Investment-Ever!

Cheers,
chucky7 and newc33 like this.

Nikhil

post #760 of 891 Old 12-31-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Walking sub -

No the armchair has to stay there unfortunately (you guessed right) and I definitely don't want the lamp to walk away from me. I think the best solution would be to get a mat like you mentioned - I ordered the one that Mark highlighted above. It's not expensive at $10 for the size I need. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Man, I can't wait to watch all the blu-rays that I thought sounded good with my ST-Ls. This sub is a whole different beast. I swear that the first time I experienced its sound, a single tear of joy came running down my right eye, 1/4 inch from the bridge of my nose. I was so happy!!!

Best-Investment-Ever!

Cheers,
Yup! I was just like you. I had full def tech setup. ST's as mains, pro monitor 1000 surrounds, and dual SC references subs. Thought my system was unstoppable.. Till I ran into the JTR punks.. Then that was it, down the road for me..
Shniks likes this.
post #761 of 891 Old 12-31-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 515
I think the cat at the end of the video was super funny! Nice job!
Shniks, NODES and johnnygrandis like this.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #762 of 891 Old 12-31-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2006
post #763 of 891 Old 01-07-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Whoa! Thanks for chiming in Mark - this product looks awesome and I will definitely be ordering this. Maybe Jeff and yourself could launch your own brand pads. I(SO)Seaton.

Cheers,

Quick update - I received the pads that Mark had linked to. When I first put it between the Cap and the SubDude, the Cap did not flinch - however funnily the whole contraption started to move (Cap and SubDude). Since I had ordered sufficient length, I cut the gum foam in half and placed one half between the Cap and the SubDude and the other between the SubDude and the hardwood floor. Problem solved- there is no movement anymore. Very thrilled with the product (thanks Mark) and of course super duper happy with the Captivator 1400. I have to say, the most played scene at my place since getting the Cap is the black hole scene from "Interstellar". It sounds just insane.

Cheers,

Nikhil

post #764 of 891 Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quick update - I received the pads that Mark had linked to. When I first put it between the Cap and the SubDude, the Cap did not flinch - however funnily the whole contraption started to move (Cap and SubDude). Since I had ordered sufficient length, I cut the gum foam in half and placed one half between the Cap and the SubDude and the other between the SubDude and the hardwood floor. Problem solved- there is no movement anymore. Very thrilled with the product (thanks Mark) and of course super duper happy with the Captivator 1400. I have to say, the most played scene at my place since getting the Cap is the black hole scene from "Interstellar". It sounds just insane.
Cheers,
The black hole scenes from "Interstellar" are among my favorites, too. They are long enough for you to realize that the walls are flexing, the range and the range hood is vibrating. They turn your room into the spacecraft in the movie. The movie is also great. A comparable scene in terms of length of bass signal is the server scene in Pulse, but the movie is horrible. The first 40 seconds of Edge of Tomorrow is also very violent but I feel the bass signal is out of place.

I hope your neighbors are more tolerant of bass than mine.
Shniks likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

post #765 of 891 Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
The black hole scenes from "Interstellar" are among my favorites, too. They are long enough for you to realize that the walls are flexing, the range and the range hood is vibrating. They turn your room into the spacecraft in the movie. The movie is also great. A comparable scene in terms of length of bass signal is the server scene in Pulse, but the movie is horrible. The first 40 seconds of Edge of Tomorrow is also very violent but I feel the bass signal is out of place.

I hope your neighbors are more tolerant of bass than mine.

Hey what's the bass range on those two scenes? For some reason tapatalk is messing up and I can't see the posted pics of them on the bass movie thread.
post #766 of 891 Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Hey what's the bass range on those two scenes? For some reason tapatalk is messing up and I can't see the posted pics of them on the bass movie thread.
From my remembering those two long sustained bass moments in Interstellar are centered around 25-30hz. I feel the black hole scene is the lower one of the two. These scenes would be right in a ported Caps wheelhouse and I would assume sounds pretty awesome.
post #767 of 891 Old 01-18-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
The black hole scenes from "Interstellar" are 114.1 dB @ 28 ~ 30 Hz so not very deep.

The server room scene in "Pulse" is 108 dB @ 18 Hz.

The bassy part of first 40 seconds of "Edge of Tomorrow" starts at 113 dB @ 30 Hz then gets louder and deeper and tops at 118 dB @ 10 Hz.

post #768 of 891 Old 01-18-2016, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've had my Cap 1400 now for a few months and I've been meaning to write up my thoughts about this subwoofer for a long time. I haven't had what anyone on this forum would call a good subwoofer before but after reading this forum for a few years I came to realise that I wouldn't be satisfied unless I had something from JTR or Seaton in my home. "What if"/"if only" is an expensive thought so I tried to buy as high end as I could to try and save myself the long term expense. I bought two of them, thinking that I wanted to make a purchase once and be done with subs for a decade or so. Fedex "lost" one of them one on the trip to Australia before it even left the US, and then Australian customs charged me the 10% extra for import tax for both anyway. After waiting some time to see if Fedex could find this missing item, they determined it to be lost and offered to shipping for another for free. At this point I just wanted the whole ordeal over and asked for a refund on the second item + its shipping costs. Jeff was so cooperative with the whole experience I have absolutely no reservations buying from him again and just wanted to let other potential overseas buyers know that he will look after you.

So onto the Captivator. This sub is insane. Get one.

I know it's big and will not blend into a room. Get one. Once the lights go out you're going for immersion and enjoyment, do you care for the proportions of furniture or does the experience matter more?

Now I am unhappy with how all other speakers systems and headphones sound. There is nothing I own or anyone I know owns that comes even remotely close to the depth, ease, impact, and headroom that the JTR has. Socially, the Captivator is so good it introduced me to my local neighbours and my landlord. They aren't (or are, in begrudging way) impressed with their vibrating rooms when I feel like listening to my music at volumes that has the Cap shuffling around on the floor, which is more impressive when you consider its size and weight.

This is the first subwoofer I've owned which has not struggled with frequency response or output. I have pushed it past its limits and it's not a subwoofer that can do anything asked of it, but it's so far beyond anything else my speakers are capable of it doesn't matter. There is 100% no doubt in my mind that Jeff is the man to see to rectify the problems I have with inadequate speaker output and clarity.
post #769 of 891 Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm still working on my photography but took some pictures of the new 2016 drivers.

post #770 of 891 Old 03-25-2016, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
I'm still working on my photography but took some pictures of the new 2016 drivers.

When will these new drivers be implemented? And I want to confirm this is for the Captivator 1400? I plan to purchase a Cap or two maybe the 215 end of end of April May. I'm not certain which one yet, but leaning towards the 1400 as the depth of the 215 is too damn deep lol..
Jeff Permanian likes this.

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), JTR Captivator 1400 (2), Rythmik FV15HP (2)
post #771 of 891 Old 03-26-2016, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Mark,

I would like to order this for my four Cap 1400's which sit on an enginered hardwood floor over cement slab foundation.

Wear-Resistant Natural Gum Foam Sheets

Their website lists three levels of softness:

Density:

Ultra-Soft sheets: 22 lbs./cu. ft.;
Extra-Soft sheets: 26 lbs./cu. ft.;
Medium sheets: 30 lbs./cu. ft.

Pressure to Compress 25%:

Ultra-Soft sheets: 4 psi;
Extra-Soft sheets: 8 psi;
Medium sheets: 13 psi

They also list six different thickness amounts:

3/16"
1/4"
5/16"
3/8"
1/2"
3/4"

Each Cap 1400 weighs 148 pounds (shipping) on a 22" x 22.5" base which is approx. 43 pounds per square foot

Which combination softness and thickness do you use or recommend to keep these subs from moving?
post #772 of 891 Old 03-27-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Mark,

I would like to order this for my four Cap 1400's which sit on an enginered hardwood floor over cement slab foundation.

Wear-Resistant Natural Gum Foam Sheets

Their website lists three levels of softness:

Density:

Ultra-Soft sheets: 22 lbs./cu. ft.;
Extra-Soft sheets: 26 lbs./cu. ft.;
Medium sheets: 30 lbs./cu. ft.

Pressure to Compress 25%:

Ultra-Soft sheets: 4 psi;
Extra-Soft sheets: 8 psi;
Medium sheets: 13 psi

They also list six different thickness amounts:

3/16"
1/4"
5/16"
3/8"
1/2"
3/4"

Each Cap 1400 weighs 148 pounds (shipping) on a 22" x 22.5" base which is approx. 43 pounds per square foot

Which combination softness and thickness do you use or recommend to keep these subs from moving?
If you look closely at what opens up with the link I provided, 1/8" thick material (8601K41) is highlighted to enter a quantity.

It looks like you mixed up some units of feet vs. inches there. The density has to do with weight of the foam. The pressure to compress is what matters. The base of a Captivator is 20" x 22.5" which makes for 148 lbs / 450 square inches = 0.33 psi. This is why the ultra soft is what I use for most applications and you can certainly cut it smaller than the footprint so you don't see it under the speaker. A large pad mostly works to pad the floor and keep the item from moving. If you wanted to get more specific with isolation, you could select a thicker material and get much closer to the 25% deflection by using smaller squares or strips. Of course if you do this, it becomes more of a shock absorption, and will move some if you press on it, by design. The thin, 1/8" thick pad under most speakers will feel stable but won't move with weight on it.

An example of an isolation pad would be 148 lbs / 4 psi (ultra soft) = 37 sq in. How you make up the 37 sq in doesn't matter much. 4 pieces at 3" square would do, as would 2 strips front/rear that are 18" wide by 1" deep.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham

Last edited by Mark Seaton; 03-27-2016 at 03:50 PM.
post #773 of 891 Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_1014 View Post
When will these new drivers be implemented? And I want to confirm this is for the Captivator 1400?
These have been shipping for several months. The ported Captivator drivers have had the same basic motor design, cone and surround since it's introducting in 2010. The newest driver received the new basket and spider which increase the Xmech some but the t/s parameters are the same.
post #774 of 891 Old 03-28-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
These have been shipping for several months. The ported Captivator drivers have had the same basic motor design, cone and surround since it's introducting in 2010. The newest driver received the new basket and spider which increase the Xmech some but the t/s parameters are the same.
Jeff, do you keep 1400's in stock?

Nabs17
post #775 of 891 Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
We currently have them in stock and ready to ship.
post #776 of 891 Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 PM

Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I hear nothing bit great things about JTR. I've traded several emails and phone calls with Jeff and he seems kind of soft spoken and won't try to push a sale. We have discussed several options that I may consider and everything leads me to believe that he is a man of his word.

I suggest you give him a call & I believe you will be very satisfied with your choice if you go JTR.
chucky7 and Jeff Permanian like this.
post #777 of 891 Old 03-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post
I hear nothing bit great things about JTR. I've traded several emails and phone calls with Jeff and he seems kind of soft spoken and won't try to push a sale. We have discussed several options that I may consider and everything leads me to believe that he is a man of his word.
Awww I hoping your post was gonna be the announcement you ordered one of the in stock 1400s haha. That is my vote btw
countryWV likes this.
post #778 of 891 Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
A couple tips would be to use one large poster board (white) and have it resting on the floor and against the rear of the sub (no hard corner, just a 5" or larger radius). Then regarding camera setting, keep the aperture the same, increase the exposure time. This will overexpose the background to a pure white with no background corner visible, and then it will bring out the details of the black sub. Most cameras should have the ability to set this up.

Btw, great looking sub!
post #779 of 891 Old 03-29-2016, 08:33 PM

Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
Awww I hoping your post was gonna be the announcement you ordered one of the in stock 1400s haha. That is my vote btw
Lol I know what you mean I've been going back and forth with several ideas up to now.

I will say, without a doubt, I have 110% in the ability of the 1400 and JTR, from all my research.

The neat thing about JTR is the three HT options; 118, 1400 and 218. The 1400 had awesome D-b.com review/measurements and after speaking with @chucky7 it leads me to think of it as dynamic and precise. With Jim Wilson's HTS rave review of the 1st gen 118ht so I can venture that the 2nd gen will be even betyer. And I bet the 2nd gen 218ht will f-in blow minds

Last edited by powerlifter405; 03-29-2016 at 09:17 PM.
post #780 of 891 Old 03-29-2016, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post

I suggest you give him a call & I believe you will be very satisfied with your choice if you go JTR.
Oh. He knows... He's got a pair of Cap 1400s already
Nabs17 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page